• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a lot of assist trophies did that well on the ballot considering nearly everyone was under the assumption that it was meant for DLC for Smash 4. though I'm not sure if the ballot is the know-all be-all considering the characters we've gotten (Dark Samus, Isabelle). I have my doubts about Shadow being replaced completely. I'm in the boat where I believe he's been upgraded to an Echo Fighter.

also hi, i haven't posted in here yet, I'd like to be added to the support list!

D

Deleted member

Does anyone here think Shadow is a unique fighter? I'm starting to think that if he gets in he could be a semi-clone that gets his own spot on the roster due to having too many differences to be considered an echo, probably from multiple altered specials, animations, and attributes to make him more true to character. Main reason to believe this being that we haven't seen any Sonic music on the site yet, so it could be another Isabelle situation where almost everyone thought she'd be an echo but she turned out to be unique/a semi-clone with her own tie-in music on the blog.

kodoru__

Smash Cadet
Indeed, I chose My boy Roy instead of Shadow because I considerd Smash ballot was only ballot to decide the new fighter for Smash4.
But Sonic is 3rd Party guest, so the decision on a new fighter will strongly reflect the opinion of SEGA.
In recent Sonic games, Shadow is most prominent sub character. In Sonic Forces, he is the only one character with his own DLC episode. And Team Sonic Racing Trailer highlights rivalship between Sonic and Shadow.
I still believe Shadow is the most likely new fighter of Sonic series. ^_^

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Heroes implies at the end of Team Dark's story the Shadow in that game is not the same Shadow from SA2. Basically Heroes had it that the Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow we knew and loved is still dead but Eggman created clones that might be a whole army of loyal Shadow androids and/or DNA clones that would help him take over the world and the Shadow in Heroes is one of those Shadow clones that Rouge and Omega found and released before perhaps Eggman put any loyalty into him.

I would of much preferred this route since you could bring back Shadow without actually bringing back the old Shadow and do whatever the heck you want with this other Shadow.

But the Shadow game retcons it, albeit you do have to find the retcon since it's pretty hidden. Basically spend long enough on the final boss of the game and Eggman says his robots rescued Shadow during his fall to earth.

Still, I would of appreciated it better if the Shadow we knew kept his dignity and stayed dead. And we just got a new Shadow in his place. It's understandable that they link it to make the same Shadow because the original Shadow is who people get attached to. But the Shadow game just kind of ruined the whole mystery (And had weird decisions during the final story that tried to make Professor Gerald... you know... the one who programmed the ARK to destroy the earth once the eclipse cannon got all the emeralds, all because of Maria's death as someone sympathetic)
Back when I first played Heroes I didn't even catch on to the fact they were trying to convince me that he was a different Shadow. When Rouge said Shadow was a robot, I assumed that she meant that Shadow always a robot, even in SA2. "Since Eggman's grandpa made him in a lab, he most have been a robot." Thats what made sense to younger me.

I personally glad they abandoned the "Shadow's a robot" thing. I mean whats the point in bring him back if you didn't really bring him back? Though even if they did make him a robot people would still have treated Shadow 2.0 and Shadow Prime like they were the same character and his game still would have made him a edgy joke to the internet.

I honestly wish Shadow's story in 06 could have been the plot to his own game instead of the Black Alien stuff. In that he had decent character development for himself/his relationships with Rouge and Omega, I mean, I wound have loved to see them expanded upon that how humanity got Omega to betray him in the future. Mephiles was also a better villain then Black Doom and his "I am your father" reveal.

Shadow Supporters: 129
#

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
K
J
L
M
N
O
P
Q

R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Back when I first played Heroes I didn't even catch on to the fact they were trying to convince me that he was a different Shadow. When Rouge said Shadow was a robot, I assumed that she meant that Shadow always a robot, even in SA2. "Since Eggman's grandpa made him in a lab, he most have been a robot." Thats what made sense to younger me.

I personally glade they abandoned the "Shadow's a robot" thing. I mean whats the point in bring him back if you didn't really bring him back? Though even if they did make him a robot people would still have treated Shadow 2.0 and Shadow Prime like they were the same character and his game still would have made him a edgy joke to the internet.

I honestly wish Shadow's story in 06 could have been the plot to his own game instead of the Black Alien stuff. In that he had decent character development for himself/his relationships with Rouge and Omega, I mean, I wound have loved to see them expanded upon that how humanity got Omega to betray him in the future. Mephiles was also a better villain then Black Doom and his "I am your father" reveal.
Shadow's story in 06 was really expanding on the character development to his own game. Notice how both Black Doom and Mephiles try to sway Shadow to their side with lurid tales of betrayal, and Shadow comes pretty close to trusting Black Doom, but immediately dismisses Mephiles.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Does anyone here think Shadow is a unique fighter? I'm starting to think that if he gets in he could be a semi-clone that gets his own spot on the roster due to having too many differences to be considered an echo, probably from multiple altered specials, animations, and attributes to make him more true to character. Main reason to believe this being that we haven't seen any Sonic music on the site yet, so it could be another Isabelle situation where almost everyone thought she'd be an echo but she turned out to be unique/a semi-clone with her own tie-in music on the blog.
I don't mean any offense. But Shadow getting in and not being an echo is one of my worst nightmares when it comes to this Smash. As not only would it likely mean Tails was snubbed, but when you have other dark counterparts like Dark Pit and Dark Samus in the game who all have different weapons and abilities but despite that still keep mainly to the original character's moveset. Yet Shadow's the one exception. It's kinda unfair to all fans of current echo fighters. Even if Shadow being a 3rd party character might incline Sega to ask to make him more different (Which I don't see why they'd be so picky. In Sonic Forces, his most recent playable appearance, he's practically already an echo.)

Kulty

Smash Ace
Sonic Heroes implies at the end of Team Dark's story the Shadow in that game is not the same Shadow from SA2. Basically Heroes had it that the Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow we knew and loved is still dead but Eggman created clones that might be a whole army of loyal Shadow androids and/or DNA clones that would help him take over the world and the Shadow in Heroes is one of those Shadow clones that Rouge and Omega found and released before perhaps Eggman put any loyalty into him.

I would of much preferred this route since you could bring back Shadow without actually bringing back the old Shadow and do whatever the heck you want with this other Shadow.

But the Shadow game retcons it, albeit you do have to find the retcon since it's pretty hidden. Basically spend long enough on the final boss of the game and Eggman says his robots rescued Shadow during his fall to earth.

Still, I would of appreciated it better if the Shadow we knew kept his dignity and stayed dead. And we just got a new Shadow in his place. It's understandable that they link it to make the same Shadow because the original Shadow is who people get attached to. But the Shadow game just kind of ruined the whole mystery (And had weird decisions during the final story that tried to make Professor Gerald... you know... the one who programmed the ARK to destroy the earth once the eclipse cannon got all the emeralds, all because of Maria's death as someone sympathetic)
Well yeah true, but I would still say that the Shadow in Heroes is the same as the Shadow we have in SA2, bc while he's implied to be a robot, I think Izuka confirmed in an interview that at the end of SA2, when Shadow fell to the Earth, one of Eggman's robots was able to pick him up from his fall and used the original Shadow to produce the clones we got to see in Heroes and his own game as well.

But I can understand your point. Another Shadow would be nice since we would have different expectations, but bc we assumed it's the same Shadow as in SA2, it actually kinda sucks...

EDIT: But for real, I personally prefer that Shadow was only in SA2, bc the way they went through his character in later games just doesn't do him justice as opposed to his first appearance. :(

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean any offense. But Shadow getting in and not being an echo is one of my worst nightmares when it comes to this Smash. As not only would it likely mean Tails was snubbed, but when you have other dark counterparts like Dark Pit and Dark Samus in the game who all have different weapons and abilities but despite that still keep mainly to the original character's moveset. Yet Shadow's the one exception. It's kinda unfair to all fans of current echo fighters. Even if Shadow being a 3rd party character might incline Sega to ask to make him more different (Which I don't see why they'd be so picky. In Sonic Forces, his most recent playable appearance, he's practically already an echo.)
I agree with this, i don't think shadow will be getting his own spot for not only these reasons, but also because most Echoes are characters that mirror their counterparts, such as Dark Samus/Pit, or Lucina (impersonated Marth). I feel that Shadow does mirror Sonic in enough ways to fall under this criteria, despite his unique abilities.

the only instance i see Shadow not being an echo fighter is if they take inspiration from his moveset in Sonic Battle, which would work just as well for the other Sonic rep i'm rooting for, Tails.

kodoru__

Smash Cadet
At this point, I think Shadow is more likely to become an Echo fighter. But if he could become a unique fighter(or semi-clone), it would make me very happy. I enjoyed Sonic Battle, so I want to bring some Shadow's moves from that game.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I really hope Shadow does get his chance, I’ve been wanting him as a character since Brawl, but I have hope that he gets his chance by being Sonic’s echo with a few different moveset changes and he’s been on my wishlist for echo fighters for a while now.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
one thing i just thought up--

what if we get a shadow and ken double reveal?
a while back i theorized that a shadow-related song could be posted to the smash bros site in a hypothetical reveal
but to those who say "but music theory! ECHOES DON'T GET SONGS!"
in fact, they do
a fire emblem song followed shortly after chrom's reveal
while on the other hand, metroid had already gotten a song so they didn't upload one for dark samus
street fighter has also had a song uploaded to the site,
while the sonic series hasn't.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I agree with this, i don't think shadow will be getting his own spot for not only these reasons, but also because most Echoes are characters that mirror their counterparts, such as Dark Samus/Pit, or Lucina (impersonated Marth). I feel that Shadow does mirror Sonic in enough ways to fall under this criteria, despite his unique abilities.

the only instance i see Shadow not being an echo fighter is if they take inspiration from his moveset in Sonic Battle, which would work just as well for the other Sonic rep i'm rooting for, Tails.
Sonic Battle would be the only way Shadow would be a semi-clone, (as he has his own Specials in that game, but completely different attacks from Sonic (one move that I did noticed that he did ended up copying was Sonic's down-air attack) this would solve that big issue without having to take stuff from Shadow's own game or Sonic 06)!

Would anyone mind listing the attacks that Shadow had in Sonic Battle? (likewise the same goes for Tails from both Sonic The Fighters and Sonic Battle)?

As for Tails, he could either take inspiration from Sonic the Fighters like Sonic did before (which was the main basis for Sonic's entire moveset in all 3 Smash Bros games with some minor hints from Sonic Battle), or they could take inspiration from Sonic Battle (with some hints from Sonic The Fighters, ala reversing Sonic's situation from Brawl).

So Jon from Gamexplain just predicted Shadow as a semi-clone (that's right not an echo) in their latest discussion video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8F2X2OQeNo
(@30:50)

This guy has teased Ridley right before Smash Ultimate got it's first teaser back in March. He said on ResetEra something about the reveal being "big" he was also straight up supporting Ridley on ResetEra.
He has teased Mario Tennis Aces before that was announced by saying on ResetEra "This direct is going to be aces".
He also apparently predicted Daisy and Simon back at E3.
And most recently he said Isabelle wouldn't be an echo but a semi-clone and predict like most if not all the Final Fantasy games in that same direct.
So as you can see he tends to "predict" things that end up being true.

Fingers crossed he's doing his usual shtick here for Shadow!

Please do keep in mind though that he could've been given false info for Shadow as he did say right before the 8.8 direct that he didn't think K.Rool wasn't getting in, or was that a tease as well? It's hard to say, my main point is that we shouldn't take this a any kind of confirmation but it is really interesting.

Last edited:

kodoru__

Smash Cadet
So Jon from Gamexplain just predicted Shadow as a semi-clone (that's right not an echo) in their latest discussion video:

This guy has teased Ridley right before Smash Ultimate got it's first teaser back in March. He said on ResetEra something about the reveal being "big" he was also straight up supporting Ridley on ResetEra.
He has teased Mario Tennis Aces before that was announced by saying on ResetEra "This direct is going to be aces".
And most recently he said Isabelle wouldn't be an echo but a semi-clone and predict like most if not all the Final Fantasy games in that same direct.

Please do keep in mind though that he could've been given false info for Shadow as he did say right before the 8.8 direct that he didn't think K.Rool wasn't getting in, or was that a tease as well? It's hard to say, my main point is that we shouldn't take this a any kind of confirmation but it is really interesting.
Good News! Please give him Chaos controll, Chaos spear, Chaos blast and roundhousekick ^~^

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416

I always wondered how much inside info GameXplain has as journalists. From watching them, there were times they seem to know stuff, but arn't allowed to talk about it due to embargo.
Either way, semi-clones are neat. Just makes me wonder if Shadow is gonna get #69.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know what, I just want to apologize for any transgressions I might have with anybody here for any posts where maybe I overstated my preference for Tails either here or outside this thread.

Considering the current train of thought of possibilities brought up in the rumor/leak thread has not just Incineroar and Ken but...

Possibly Steve from Minecraft and BOTH Geno and Sora (Or another Square Enix character anyway)

I may not care too much who gets in this game anymore. (And I mean that in a good way, I'm not saying I'm quitting Smash altogether in fact it's just increasing the awe I have for this game's potential even if Ken and Incineroar is all that's left in the base game and the 3 or so I mentioned in the spoiler are actually just our first strong DLC potentials. Because the possibilities here have left me with some perspective here)

Ok that's not entirely true because I'm still going to vouch for Tails come DLC time regardless what happens.

But at this point, sure, bring Shadow in the game. Echo or not. I'll always still have Sonic himself even if Tails never makes it. Hell, bring in Master Chief at this point. Why the hell not?

Having Sonic Adventure 2 even potentially represented amongst the likes of Minecraft, Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest, etc. has just left me with some real proper perspective. This will be an amazing character game, Tails or no Tails. Or even Shadow or no Shadow

On a side note, Sega Ages has it's Top 30 series/games requested for bringing over to the Switch. And yes, Sonic Adventure 2 is among the list along with the first Sonic Adventure as well. I hope they do some day. I'd really love both Adventure games on the Switch.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
You know what, I just want to apologize for any transgressions I might have with anybody here for any posts where maybe I overstated my preference for Tails either here or outside this thread.
No need to apologize for stating which character you prefer. It's perfectly fine if you want Tails in over Shadow if it came down to one or the other, as long as there isn't any hostility. Still, it's nice that someone who prefers Tails would also be willing to vouch for Shadow, since I always felt that the two character fanbases have been a bit at odds with each other. Just a shame Sonic Team's done Tails dirty ever since the Dreamcast era games and let Sonic do all the work while he just provides convenient gadgets. I'd like Tails too, but only if that meant we got Shadow as well.

A SA1/SA2 port would be great and all, don't get me wrong, but honestly what I really feel these games need is a remake. I've watched so many reviews that parrot pretty much all the same points for the most part, and almost all of those issues could easily be fixed with a remake. It's a pipe dream at best, and an impossibility at worst, especially since there'd probably be some controversy in the fanbase when they have to re-dub the lines with the new VAs. Not to mention if they do remake it, they'd have the Adventure engine again for a possible (however unlikely) SA3. Not really counting on it, but hey, I can dream.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
A SA1/SA2 port would be great and all, don't get me wrong, but honestly what I really feel these games need is a remake. I've watched so many reviews that parrot pretty much all the same points for the most part, and almost all of those issues could easily be fixed with a remake. It's a pipe dream at best, and an impossibility at worst, especially since there'd probably be some controversy in the fanbase when they have to re-dub the lines with the new VAs. Not to mention if they do remake it, they'd have the Adventure engine again for a possible (however unlikely) SA3. Not really counting on it, but hey, I can dream.
Where Sega is at currently though yeah I don't see a remake or a Sonic Adventure 3 coming. Or at least not one that might cause another Sonic 4 situation where the game's biggest problem is the title because it gives fans such high expectations that cannot be met. Sega needs to be in a better position Sonic-wise before it can gamble on a Sonic Adventure 3 or even a remake of either or both of the Adventure games.

I have no problem with the games themselves as they were, even if yeah there's some dated things and glitches here and there. The Adventure games even back then were pretty damn ambitious with how much it put into one game and that's not the kind of ambition Sega has now or at least not the budget for that ambition yet.

Our best bets would be a game in the Adventure-style that's NOT titled Sonic Adventure 3 (Well I guess Sonic 06 was kind of that but look how that turned out...) sort of like a Mario Odyssey of the franchise. That refreshes a gameplay in the series we had not seen since since the early gamecube days (I don't mean any offense to Mario Galaxy, just Sunshine, 64, and Odyssey have more open levels) and puts a cool spin on things.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I still think the Adventure games were pretty well-crafted for their time, even if they may not hold up quite as well today. Reviewers just tend to blow the bad parts out of proportion and make the games sound unplayable when that's not the case at all, not to mention the ports of the games were botched a bit, making them look worse than they actually are. And I get that flat-out calling a game SA3 is just asking for it to flop, so I don't mind whatever they call it as long as they give Adventure another shot, especially looking at how Forces did.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
it's fine, people have their preferences
personally, i prefer shadow to tails because he honestly feels a lot more "out-there" than tails
tails is kind of a boring choice for a second sonic character, but it makes sense
he's sonic's luigi, and has been around ever since sonic 2
but shadow is a modern character, and has been around only since adventure 2 but still makes perfect sense as an echo
and i've always found sonic's dynamic with shadow a lot more interesting than his dynamic with tails

SonicMario

Smash Master
it's fine, people have their preferences
personally, i prefer shadow to tails because he honestly feels a lot more "out-there" than tails
tails is kind of a boring choice for a second sonic character, but it makes sense
he's sonic's luigi, and has been around ever since sonic 2
but shadow is a modern character, and has been around only since adventure 2 but still makes perfect sense as an echo
and i've always found sonic's dynamic with shadow a lot more interesting than his dynamic with tails
I just like the idea of having of Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails possible in Smash quite a bit more. I don't see quite an equivalent in Smash for Shadow (I guess you could do Sonic & Shadow Vs. Mario & Wario. Albeit I consider Wario closer to Knuckles then Shadow)

The only character match-up in Smash that makes sense to me is probably Mewtwo since they kind of have similar origins. (I mean mostly the Mewtwo from the first Pokemon Movie and Mewtwo Returns. Driven to dislike humanity because of tragic stuff, but finding there's a better way later. And even being one of the protagonists later in a sort of sequel to the first movie)

SonicMario

Smash Master
woah, woah, really? didn't remember that happening, though it has been a while
Yeah, Mecha Sonic kills many of Sonic's friends. I think Knuckles and Amy were also killed by Mecha Sonic. Which is why it was only Sonic and Shadow that made it into Mario's universe.

I get why they did it, since it's kind of like a Future Trunks thing only it's dimension traveling rather then time travel. But still kinda sad nonetheless.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not sure if 7Nator has said anything about this yet (he probably has), but recently Jon Cartwright from GameXplain questioned Shadow as an echo and claimed that he could instead be a semi-clone with a teleportation move and a Rocket Launcher of some kind.

While it's best not to get one's hopes up, this is the same guy that pretty much was on a giant Ridley bandwagon before E3 (even did the whole court case thing). He predicted all the Final Fantasies, Kirby Epic Yarn Port, Isabelle as a unique fighter, etc.

Some of these "predictions" he has seem more like "leaks" to be honest with you. Here's hoping we get the best out of Shadow, fellow fans of the edgy Hedgy!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
So Sakurai just said that Newcomer reveals will now be slowing down. I mean they seemed to come pretty slow already, so honestly I don’t know what he’s talking about. Either way Sakurai is essentially confirming that we won’t be getting to many new characters with that statement. Do you guys think that this affects our boy’s chances? Or nah?

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
So Sakurai just said that Newcomer reveals will now be slowing down. I mean they seemed to come pretty slow already, so honestly I don’t know what he’s talking about. Either way Sakurai is essentially confirming that we won’t be getting to many new characters with that statement. Do you guys think that this affects our boy’s chances? Or nah?

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/
It's hard to say, because echoes have never taken up their own trailer, and are always accompanied with a unique announcement. There is almost no way Ken gets his own reveal. When he does get revealed, it'll be in the middle of a direct. The question is, will it be Ken only, or will more echoes be revealed alongside him?

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
I'm taking this from Source Gaming's translation of the article (it's a bit more accurate too), and here's an interesting little tidbit that I was hoping Sakurai would shed some light on. http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/178486295859

"Isabelle is based off of Villager. She pockets items and rides on a balloon swing. However, she is not an Echo Fighter.

This is because Isabelle and Villager have fundamentally different body types and personalities, so we couldn’t have made her an Echo. All of her animations are different; not a single one is the same."

So I don't think that, if and when Shadow gets in, he would be a semi-clone like Isabelle. If anything, what this says to me is that the likes of Tails would have to be a semi-clone, since Tails obviously doesn't mesh too well with Sonic in terms of body shape. Not trying to throw any shade towards the Tails base, but it's just an observation I'm making now that Sakurai has put how he categorizes Echoes out there.
I'm also willing to temper my expectations a bit with the notion that we may be reaching the tail end of the roster finally, so I don't think we'll end up getting that Smash Direct until early November instead of October. That being said, I'm fairly certain we'll get one last wave of about 5-6 characters, with two or three newcomers, and two or three new Echoes.

Vergeben calling Ken is a bit of an interesting case, since he never called Dark Samus or Chrom. So Ken must have been decided pretty early on or something for him to get that information, since Echoes seem to be added in towards the end of development. I feel like we'd have another double Echo reveal like in August, with Ken and Shadow fitting a theme of both being 3rd party Echoes. Of course it's wishful thinking, but really that's all that we've got at this point.

Also here's a funny little quote from the article:
"Smash is a thoroughly strange game. It’s chaos. The things we look for in a character or stage change by the minute..."

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So I don't think that, if and when Shadow gets in, he would be a semi-clone like Isabelle. If anything, what this says to me is that the likes of Tails would have to be a semi-clone, since Tails obviously doesn't mesh too well with Sonic in terms of body shape. Not trying to throw any shade towards the Tails base, but it's just an observation I'm making now that Sakurai has put how he categorizes Echoes out there.
Don't worry, pretty sure most Tails supporters such as myself has tossed the possibility of Tails being Sonic's echo instead once Isabelle was revealed to begin with.

It's definitely semi-clone or bust for Tails. And if Shadow's the echo regardless if he comes in base game or DLC. Tails may not be far behind him (Or even come with him if Shadow's saved for DLC). Then a good majority of both of the most likely Sonic character supporters would then be happy.

The only thing we're afraid of is if Game explain's Jon's "prediction" was yet another subtle leak and Shadow does end up being a semi-clone. As we aren't certain they'd let 2 Sonic semi-clones in and Sakurai's echo requirements would pass off Tails there as well. He has however mentioned Banjo-Kazooie alot and it's not like we have any signs Banjo is coming yet. But the thought still scares us who'd like Tails to get in first or alongside Shadow.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
"Slowing down" just means "less than before".

Let's see.

Up to this point we've gotten the following:
Standard:
Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle (5)
Echo:
Daisy, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus (4)

My gut feeling tells me two of each category are left. It just seems right that there'd be 70 fighters not counting echos.

I'm still fairly optimistic about Shadows shot at Smash.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm still feeling very strongly about Shadow's chances, echo or otherwise. I firmly believe that there's probably 1 or 2 unique fighters left at best, and Ken being all but confirmed. So... that leaves an elephant in the room: Shadow.

Shadow had his AT (seemingly, and likely) replaced and Knuckles' post on the blog shows that they really wanted to bring that to your attention. I can't imagine Ken being revealed on his own, or in a CGI trailer alongside someone like Incineroar or Geno, so... a standalone echo unveiling seems rather empty, but having him being confirmed alongside a fellow third party echo in a final Smash Direct would be a good hype moment.

Plus, Shadow is basically the only MIA AT that can work as an echo now, and the patterns with Dark Samus and Isabelle (while not being an echo) support this.

I don't believe in any theory, but I do believe that Shadow shouldn't be counted out.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Don't worry, pretty sure most Tails supporters such as myself has tossed the possibility of Tails being Sonic's echo instead once Isabelle was revealed to begin with.

It's definitely semi-clone or bust for Tails. And if Shadow's the echo regardless if he comes in base game or DLC. Tails may not be far behind him (Or even come with him if Shadow's saved for DLC). Then a good majority of both of the most likely Sonic character supporters would then be happy.

The only thing we're afraid of is if Game explain's Jon's "prediction" was yet another subtle leak and Shadow does end up being a semi-clone. As we aren't certain they'd let 2 Sonic semi-clones in and Sakurai's echo requirements would pass off Tails there as well. He has however mentioned Banjo-Kazooie alot and it's not like we have any signs Banjo is coming yet. But the thought still scares us who'd like Tails to get in first or alongside Shadow.
The only thing you’re* afraid of. I don’t mean to offend but I’d be overjoyed if Shadow got in as a semi. Though I’m not expecting it. Echo or not at all is my viewpoint as of right now.

I agree Tails would be the better choice for a semi, but I’m not going to be picky. I just want another Sonic rep, plain and simple.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The only thing you’re* afraid of. I don’t mean to offend but I’d be overjoyed if Shadow got in as a semi. Though I’m not expecting it. Echo or not at all is my viewpoint as of right now.

I agree Tails would be the better choice for a semi, but I’m not going to be picky. I just want another Sonic rep, plain and simple.
When I said we're. I meant mainly those who would prefer Tails get in before or at least at the same time as Shadow. (I'm more so on the latter at this point, I think both character supporters should be made happy at some point. Even if somehow Tails got in alone in the base game, I'd root for you guys in DLC)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yes

The part about “personalities” is what the big part is.
Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, Lucina, and Dark Pit all have different personalities from their base character. I would not think Shadow's personality alone would warrant making him a non-echo if these weren't

Don't know much about Richter but it seems to me he has his own flair that'll be different from Simon in his animations.

Shadow is quite honestly the perfect choice for a Sonic echo after Sakurai has laid out more detailed word on echoes. He shares similar abilities, plays exactly the same in Adventure 2 (his debut) and in the most recent game (Forces), has pretty much the same body shape, very very popular. And would only need to change mainly the animations that work great for Sonic's cocky attitude changed to something more Shadow's style.

Top Bottom