• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
That box theory is one of the worst theories that I've ever heard of in my life, it makes the 12345 combination joke from Spaceballs look like it has a spot to get in.

Shadow's 100% in as an Sonic Echo, he's been hinted at for a long time now.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I keep seein all these posts about Shadow’s assist being removed and I’m sorry but I’ve got to say it. What if he’s a boss guys? Of course this isn’t what I want and of course this isn’t set in stone, but I honestly wouldn’t put it past sakurai to think that a boss upgrade is a worthy representation of the character.

That being said my theory has a couple issues.
1. Why would they use Shadow as the boss and not Eggman? I mean in theory they could BOTH be in as bosses but I don’t see that. If Eggman were to have any kind of helper I think Metal Sonic would make more sense.

2. All of the Smash bosses so far have been large and imposing, Shadow isn’t. If he were to be given a boss moveset it would end up looking very similar to a character moveset. At that point why not just make him playable? It’s hard to picture.

3. Shadow probably had the 2nd highest number of fan requests reguarding Sonic characters. I know that I voted for him in the ballot. Multiple times with different computers too. I bet he scored pretty decently.

I don’t mean to be a negative nelly, but it’s definitely not impossible. A boss is that last situation a want to see Shadow in. But I can’t shake this grim feeling. Not to mention Vergeben hasn’t mentioned Shadow once. DAMN YOU BOX THEORY!!!

Just preparing myself for potential crushing disappointment. Smash rosters can be good at that.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
I keep seein all these posts about Shadow’s assist being removed and I’m sorry but I’ve got to say it. What if he’s a boss guys? Of course this isn’t what I want and of course this isn’t set in stone, but I honestly wouldn’t put it past sakurai to think that a boss upgrade is a worthy representation of the character.

That being said my theory has a couple issues.
1. Why would they use Shadow as the boss and not Eggman? I mean in theory they could BOTH be in as bosses but I don’t see that. If Eggman were to have any kind of helper I think Metal Sonic would make more sense.

2. All of the Smash bosses so far have been large and imposing, Shadow isn’t. If he were to be given a boss moveset it would end up looking very similar to a character moveset. At that point why not just make him playable? It’s hard to picture.

3. Shadow probably had the 2nd highest number of fan requests reguarding Sonic characters. I know that I voted for him in the ballot. Multiple times with different computers too. I bet he scored pretty decently.

I don’t mean to be a negative nelly, but it’s definitely not impossible. A boss is that last situation a want to see Shadow in. But I can’t shake this grim feeling. Not to mention Vergeben hasn’t mentioned Shadow once. DAMN YOU BOX THEORY!!!

Just preparing myself for potential crushing disappointment. Smash rosters can be good at that.
it seems unreasonable to make shadow a boss
i mean, why make shadow a boss instead of the character who's been the main antagonist of the sonic series ever since the beginning?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
it seems unreasonable to make shadow a boss
i mean, why make shadow a boss instead of the character who's been the main antagonist of the sonic series ever since the beginning?
Because of how popular he is. If Shadow’s no where to be seen in the base game, I honestly won’t even be mad. Because if he’s DLC I bet you anything he’ll be a semi, or perhaps an echo in a Tails character bundle pack? It’s hard to say what’s going to happen at this point but being a boss would be the worst case scenario by far.

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Because of how popular he is. If Shadow’s no where to be seen in the base game, I honestly won’t even be mad. Because if he’s DLC I bet you anything he’ll be a semi, or perhaps an echo in a Tails character bundle pack? It’s hard to say what’s going to happen at this point but being a boss would be the worst case scenario by far.
i think the worst case scenario is that our fanbase gets waluigi'd
it'd be salt to the wound, shadow not being in the game AND our reputation being ruined
with how much hype shadow has to live up to, i imagine people will definitely poke fun at him if he's not in

Xenorange

Smash Lord
i think the worst case scenario is that our fanbase gets waluigi'd
it'd be salt to the wound, shadow not being in the game AND our reputation being ruined
with how much hype shadow has to live up to, i imagine people will definitely poke fun at him if he's not in
Undoubtedly, and Sonic gets so much hate as it is already. Goodness I hope he gets in. I don’t care how they make him playable. For the sake of my sanity and my childhood PLEASE SHADOW!!!

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Undoubtedly, and Sonic gets so much hate as it is already. Goodness I hope he gets in. I don’t care how they make him playable. For the sake of my sanity and my childhood PLEASE SHADOW!!!
I hope he gets in too, I want to main him so badly alongside Lucario, Mewtwo, Ryu, and possibly Ken (if he gets in as Ryu's Echo.)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I hope he gets in too, I want to main him so badly alongside Lucario, Mewtwo, Ryu, and possibly Ken (if he gets in as Ryu's Echo.)
Well according to popular speculation and theory Ken is essentially a lock at this point. Along with Incineroar.

I’d be pretty bummed out of SF got a 2nd rep and Mario’s Olympic buddy didn’t. Just sayin.

zerkerxror

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3830-6765
Switch FC
SW-7051-3659-4513
Wait what? Who is hating on Sonic? Bring them over here and I'll give them a smack in the face.
On the real though, just wait and see what happens homie.
I'm feeling pretty good about his chances of getting in, but all we can do is wait.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Well according to popular speculation and theory Ken is essentially a lock at this point. Along with Incineroar.

I’d be pretty bummed out of SF got a 2nd rep and Mario’s Olympic buddy didn’t. Just sayin.
Then if Shadow doesn't get in, I'll probably main Ken or Incineroar (especially since the latter happens to be my favorite Fire type starter!)

But I'm feeling very confident that Shadow's in, the AT-to-playable character pattern is pretty darn strong and hard to ignore.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not ready to accept the box theory yet.

Supposing that Shadow is not returning as a AT, Why would they go out of their way to replace him with a brand new Soinc AT rep unless they had a different plan for him?

And I'm not buying that they have been planning to make him DLC before the game has even come out.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm not ready to accept the box theory yet.

Supposing that Shadow is not returning as a AT, Why would they go out of their way to replace him with a brand new Soinc AT rep unless they had a different plan for him?

And I'm not buying that they have been planning to make him DLC before the game has even come out.
Perhaps they did plan to have him in the initial roster, but things didn't pan out the way they did and they had to scrap him for the time being.
It's a possibility.

Either way, him NOT being an AT is great, so even if he doesn't make the initial roster, he could easily be DLC down the line.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yeah. And the fact that I still argue that the Sonic franchise DOES NOT GET TREATED WELL in Smash Bros compared to the other 3rd parties, which is kinda ironic considering that Sonic stood the longest out of all the third party characters. Plus, I honestly won't be surprised if we get Waluigi'd, bc I think the Smash development team really doesn't like the Sonic franchise (that might be just me though), and they see this franchise as a joke just like the others who like to hate on Sonic. Sorry if I sound so pessimistic, but I really want that the Smash development team redeem themselves to better represent this franchise. Sonic really deserves better. If Castlevenia can have 2 reps, why can't Sonic? I honestly think it's really unfair. :(

EDIT: I don't believe the box theory. I think there's way too much evidence that's pointing towards Shadow's inclusion in Ultimate. Out of all the few characters left to be revealed before the game's launch, I really think and believe that Shadow is one of the few left to make into the base roster.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah. And the fact that I still argue that the Sonic franchise DOES NOT GET TREATED WELL in Smash Bros compared to the other 3rd parties, which is kinda ironic considering that Sonic stood the longest out of all the third party characters. Plus, I honestly won't be surprised if we get Waluigi'd, bc I think the Smash development team really doesn't like the Sonic franchise (that might be just me though), and they see this franchise as a joke just like the others who like to hate on Sonic. Sorry if I sound so pessimistic, but I really want that the Smash development team redeem themselves to better represent this franchise. Sonic really deserves better. If Castlevenia can have 2 reps, why can't Sonic? I honestly think it's really unfair. :(

EDIT: I don't believe the box theory. I think there's way too much evidence that's pointing towards Shadow's inclusion in Ultimate. Out of all the few characters left to be revealed before the game's launch, I really think and believe that Shadow is one of the few left to make into the base roster.
I've already kinda reassured you at least in regards to developers feelings on Sonic before. But in terms of those who dislike Sonic, it's not like Shadow's going to fix that reputation. As they'd be like "hahahaha Sonic finally got another character and it's their stupid, lazy, ow the edge meme character that plays exactly like Sonic"

It's kind of why I have so many mixed feelings about Shadow potentially getting in. Sonic getting something else like another playable character is cool. But even as just an echo, it'll be hard for me not to express some worry. On one hand it'd technically be representation of my favorite game in the series (Adventure 2) and it'd fit along well with other echoes like Dark Pit and Dark Samus since Shadow is for all intents and purposes "Dark Sonic". ...But on the other hand, Shadow's a character I haven't exactly felt too much fondness for since 2005-2006. And I'd hope Shadow's inclusion does not hamper the chances of who I'd actually want to be the next Sonic character (Which I'm sure you're all aware is Tails by now, I feel like even among those who dislike Sonic it'd be like "Well, I guess I understand this, Tails is kind of in almost every Sonic game ever in some fashion").

I do have to admit I'd rather Shadow not be in the base game so there's a real chance of a Tails + Shadow (Still a Sonic echo) DLC character pack. Cause if Shadow's in the base game, I do have to admit through the entire DLC Speculation period I'll be hoping so hard Tails still can make it in despite knowing there's a possibility 3rd party franchises are restricted to just echoes when it comes to more then one rep.

I know that may sound a little petty. But everybody has their character preferences, so I'm just sharing how I feel/my opinions on the matter.

Shadow's just one of those characters I'd have so many conflicting feelings. I don't entirely hate him because I liked him in his debut Adventure 2 and to a somewhat lesser extent Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle. But Sega quickly put him in a direction I wasn't fond of from his spin-off game and onwards and quickly changed my opinion of him from cool and surprisingly deep rival character to perhaps one of the most overrated characters I could think of. So I just have humongous concern that only Shadow being added would rightly represent more of the Sonic franchise... just it's the type of inclusion that really isn't going to fix anything because Shadow himself is a joked about character more then arguably all the other characters to begin with. Since he doesn't even have the prestige of having been in any of the classic Sonic games (Heck, he's not even playable in the handheld platformers that are at least decently well-liked like Sonic Advance or Sonic Rush very often)

Sorry if this comes off a bit as a bit of a lecture, but maybe it was about time I get these things off my chest in regard to Shadow possibly being in Smash. I don't mean to trash Shadow by any means and hoped nothing of my post came off as that, somewhere inside of me is the big SA2 fan that still appreciates Shadow. But perhaps I just need a little help from you guys being able to pull that Adventure 2 fan out of me more often.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm just gonna say that I have a really difficult time seeing Shadow not making into the base roster. An easy echo for a longstanding third party series, one of the most popular character requests I've seen for well over a decade, and being ejected from his AT placement in favor of the arguably less-popular Knuckles.

Shadow not being mentioned in leaks doesn't mean anything against him. Vergeben didn't mention Dark Samus or Chrom, so Shadow might simply be one of those cases where he is "there" but either not known by his sources or simply not important enough to mention. Regardless, there's no reason to rule him out.

Even if you want to be pessimistic, the grand majority of the Smash Speculation scene seems to agree the he's a very likely echo and if he is not in, there will be a vocal outcry for it both from Sonic fans and Smash fans alike. People will make it known they want him, and DLC may be that entryway if need be.

The next Smash Direct will be an interesting one, that's for sure.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd be hoping for Shadow to be an original newcomer, while Tails could be an echo of Sonic. I think that format would fit very nicely.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Personally, I'd be hoping for Shadow to be an original newcomer, while Tails could be an echo of Sonic. I think that format would fit very nicely.
...In the grand scheme of things and if it was the only way Tails was getting in Smash. I'd take it. (Though still begrudgingly since I don't know why you make the character designed like Sonic more unique then the character with two flying tails)

...But how does this work at all? In a game you have Dark Pit and Dark Samus in where they'll play mostly the same as their main character counterparts. Shadow's the one darker counterpart to break that mold? And Sonic's Luigi is the one of the two that isn't Luigified? I just can't see it. I think Shadow's an echo or bust

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
No it wouldn't. seeing as Tails has changed a lot since the Classic Era of Sonic to the point that he could be a unique newcomer or even a semi-clone of Sonic, he can't even do the Homing attack or the Spring Jump for starters, both which are required for Tails to be a direct echo of Sonic (plus using his Tails to fly would be one of the most unique recoveries in the game), even then, Tails had a complete moveset in Sonic the Fighters (which was the basis for Sonic's entire moveset) that was drastically different than Sonic's own, if Tails got in, expect his Sonic the Fighters moveset to be used as the basis for his fighting style.

Shadow meanwhile, has been a dark copy of Sonic since SA2 (with only minor differences on how they play (one notable example is: Shadow lacks the Bouncing Bracelet) and has remained that way since (barring his own game and Sonic 06).

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
That box theory is one of the worst theories that I've ever heard of in my life, it makes the 12345 combination joke from Spaceballs look like it has a spot to get in.

Shadow's 100% in as an Sonic Echo, he's been hinted at for a long time now.
The box theory has merits and could hold true.

Approaching it in expecting it to be true but twisting it to provide margin for more is the smarter choice. What if Ken and Gen 7 do complete the box? Cool, then maybe Shadow and/or Tails, Geno, and Banjo are on large portraits on the back?

Bam box theory holds true with margin for more than meets the eye.

Plugging your ears at any theories that don't support your character won't help if it doesn't work out in the end.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Approaching it in expecting it to be true but twisting it to provide margin for more is the smarter choice. What if Ken and Gen 7 do complete the box? Cool, then maybe Shadow and/or Tails, Geno, and Banjo are on large portraits on the back?

Whenever more characters appear than the box theory holds then it no longer holds value. The characters shown on the side is what the box theory is about once it is proven wrong then the box theory no longer holds any value.

Plugging your ears at any theories that don't support your character won't help if it doesn't work out in the end.
Or people are skeptical of a theory that suggests we will only be getting 3 characters and we have two months to prove that wrong.

And telling people that they are "plugging their ears" is uncalled for as people have legit reasons not to support the box theory and only seeks to show anyone else who disagree with you as childish. Very distasteful.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
...In the grand scheme of things and if it was the only way Tails was getting in Smash. I'd take it. (Though still begrudgingly since I don't know why you make the character designed like Sonic more unique then the character with two flying tails)
I would prefer them both to be original, but seeing how unlikely that would be I would think either Shadow or Tails could be an echo of Sonic. Shadow looks similar enough to Sonic in appearance that I would think with original attacks it would help him to stand out differently, whereas Tails may look different in appearance but could have similar moves to Sonic with some adjustments (using his Tails to fly among others). Just my thoughts.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Whenever more characters appear than the box theory holds then it no longer holds value. The characters shown on the side is what the box theory is about once it is proven wrong then the box theory no longer holds any value.

Or people are skeptical of a theory that suggests we will only be getting 3 characters and we have two months to prove that wrong.

And telling people that they are "plugging their ears" is uncalled for as people have legit reasons not to support the box theory and only seeks to show anyone else who disagree with you as childish. Very distasteful.
The back of the box exists. The box theory in regards to the sides could hold true but still leave room for more.

Two months do remain! So we'll have to see how things unfold. With Sakurai saying not to expect a lot, saying only a few left, and him wanting to avoid the roster being leaked... things are pointing towards the end of the road. But we will see if he has some tricks up his sleeve.

It is childish to hide from theories or fully devote oneself to them. Being open minded and viewing both ways is important. And so far, I have seen the anti-box crowd acting more aggressive than the box theory worshipers. The ones who fully ignore and accept something are going to be the one screaming loudest down the road when things don't go 100% as they thought. Gotta be open minded, sorry that you disagree with the idea that saying things are 100% right or wrong before proven in any regards isn't the best bet!

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The back of the box exists. The box theory in regards to the sides could hold true but still leave room for more.
Except the back of the box is not what the box theory is about. That is changing the theory entirely to prove that you are right.

Two months do remain! So we'll have to see how things unfold. With Sakurai saying not to expect a lot, saying only a few left, and him wanting to avoid the roster being leaked... things are pointing towards the end of the road. But we will see if he has some tricks up his sleeve.
And believe that a box that can be subject to change is not the answer

It is childish to hide from theories or fully devote oneself to them. Being open minded and viewing both ways is important. And so far, I have seen the anti-box crowd acting more aggressive than the box theory worshipers. The ones who fully ignore and accept something are going to be the one screaming loudest down the road when things don't go 100% as they thought.
No. What is childish is scolding someone, telling them that they are "plugging their ears" for doubting a theory that is yet to be proven. And the people who stated they don't trust the box theory have their individual reasons not to trust it that do not simply equate to "I refuse to believe it".

And yet here you are arguing that even if the sides of the box does not hold true then the back of the box can which does not equate the box theory at all.

Gotta be open minded, sorry that you disagree with the idea that saying things are 100% right or wrong before proven in any regards isn't the best bet!
Another childish point is to put words in my mouth simply so you can gain an edge in a disagreement. Just because someone refuses to believe does not mean they lack an open mind, maybe they refuse to believe it because all the conclusions they come to does not mean the box theory is right.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

It doesn't hold merits at all, because we haven't seen the rest of the box's other sides, plus it's a placeholder!

15365ion

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I don't want the Tails.
I don't know if it's possible for a 3rd party game to get three fighters, But if that's possible, I want to see echo fighter Shadow and Eggman. It would be nice to have both Sonic's rival and Arch Nemesis at the Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Shadow's just one of those characters I'd have so many conflicting feelings. I don't entirely hate him because I liked him in his debut Adventure 2 and to a somewhat lesser extent Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle. But Sega quickly put him in a direction I wasn't fond of from his spin-off game and onwards and quickly changed my opinion of him from cool and surprisingly deep rival character to perhaps one of the most overrated characters I could think of. So I just have humongous concern that only Shadow being added would rightly represent more of the Sonic franchise... just it's the type of inclusion that really isn't going to fix anything because Shadow himself is a joked about character more then arguably all the other characters to begin with.
Couldn't have put that any better myself. Though, I wouldn't be conflicted with Shadow's inclusion since he and Adventure 2 still play a big part of my childhood, and he's legitimately one of the few characters I'd freak out over being in the game, even as an echo. Which let's be honest, that's the best he's getting. No Isabelle treatment for him, as much as I'd like it.

I think the biggest reason Shadow became such a joke to the larger-scale audience was because of his game; I feel like he was handled relatively well in the rest of the games and Sonic X... Not Boom though, we don't talk about that. I can almost guarantee all the "Ow the edge" jokes would never be nearly as widespread if it weren't for that game. Just the overly dramatic edgy storyline, the guns... ugh. I'd say a lot more, but I'll save it for some other time.

Either way, I think at this point we just need to go all in. I'm almost certain that EVERY time Sonic has been given a promotional gameplay trailer, he ALWAYS did a pose with Shadow at the end. But in his own character trailer, we have Knuckles. Box theory or not, there's just too many eyebrow-raisers to think something as simple as a box brings it all down. Assuming we get one more Smash-centric Direct, probably sometime in October, that would be our best chance at getting our answer as to whether he's in or not.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't want the Tails.
I don't know if it's possible for a 3rd party game to get three fighters, But if that's possible, I want to see echo fighter Shadow and Eggman. It would be nice to have both Sonic's rival and Arch Nemesis at the Smash Ultimate.
If Sonic gets lucky and gets three characters though in this game it's going to be Tails and Shadow though. Eggman's best hopes is a boss in Spirits mode along the likes of Dracula. Shadow has been an AT since Brawl, and Tails got a Mii Costume in Smash 4 (Which we know have gotten upgrades for plenty of characters and it will be weird if Tails gets nothing while Shadow and Knuckles both get significant upgrades).

Eggman's only been a regular trophy. Though it would of been cool to see an Eggman Mii costume since he's well... actually human. Though the fact neither Eggman or Shadow while Tails and Knuckles did is still kind of interesting. (Even if it's just that Sega specifically requested Tails and Knuckles rather then actual meaningful stuff like ballot results, it's still kind of saying something that Sega chose only those two when they could of added all of them)

Kulty

Smash Ace
I've already kinda reassured you at least in regards to developers feelings on Sonic before. But in terms of those who dislike Sonic, it's not like Shadow's going to fix that reputation. As they'd be like "hahahaha Sonic finally got another character and it's their stupid, lazy, ow the edge meme character that plays exactly like Sonic"

It's kind of why I have so many mixed feelings about Shadow potentially getting in. Sonic getting something else like another playable character is cool. But even as just an echo, it'll be hard for me not to express some worry. On one hand it'd technically be representation of my favorite game in the series (Adventure 2) and it'd fit along well with other echoes like Dark Pit and Dark Samus since Shadow is for all intents and purposes "Dark Sonic". ...But on the other hand, Shadow's a character I haven't exactly felt too much fondness for since 2005-2006. And I'd hope Shadow's inclusion does not hamper the chances of who I'd actually want to be the next Sonic character (Which I'm sure you're all aware is Tails by now, I feel like even among those who dislike Sonic it'd be like "Well, I guess I understand this, Tails is kind of in almost every Sonic game ever in some fashion").

I do have to admit I'd rather Shadow not be in the base game so there's a real chance of a Tails + Shadow (Still a Sonic echo) DLC character pack. Cause if Shadow's in the base game, I do have to admit through the entire DLC Speculation period I'll be hoping so hard Tails still can make it in despite knowing there's a possibility 3rd party franchises are restricted to just echoes when it comes to more then one rep.

I know that may sound a little petty. But everybody has their character preferences, so I'm just sharing how I feel/my opinions on the matter.

Shadow's just one of those characters I'd have so many conflicting feelings. I don't entirely hate him because I liked him in his debut Adventure 2 and to a somewhat lesser extent Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle. But Sega quickly put him in a direction I wasn't fond of from his spin-off game and onwards and quickly changed my opinion of him from cool and surprisingly deep rival character to perhaps one of the most overrated characters I could think of. So I just have humongous concern that only Shadow being added would rightly represent more of the Sonic franchise... just it's the type of inclusion that really isn't going to fix anything because Shadow himself is a joked about character more then arguably all the other characters to begin with. Since he doesn't even have the prestige of having been in any of the classic Sonic games (Heck, he's not even playable in the handheld platformers that are at least decently well-liked like Sonic Advance or Sonic Rush very often)

Sorry if this comes off a bit as a bit of a lecture, but maybe it was about time I get these things off my chest in regard to Shadow possibly being in Smash. I don't mean to trash Shadow by any means and hoped nothing of my post came off as that, somewhere inside of me is the big SA2 fan that still appreciates Shadow. But perhaps I just need a little help from you guys being able to pull that Adventure 2 fan out of me more often.
It's all good man. I totally understand you. I did have mixed feelings towards Shadow in the recent years, but I still really do like him personally. I loved him back in his debut in SA2, but bc he was meant to just be in SA2, future installments kinda start to ruin him. It's like the writers don't know what to do with the Black Hedgehog. Sure, I argue he wasn't that bad in Heroes, but his own game just bugs me. I don't like how Shadow is represented in his own game, which makes me think why I don't want Shadow having guns, bc SEGA knows that it was idiotic to give this character guns despite his ''cool'' and ''edgy'' factor. He was alright in Sonic 06, but onwards, they completely butchered him, and his new voice actor doesn't help at all (he sounds like an old man).

But despite this, I still do respect the impact that Shadow left throughout the Sonic series to make him one of the most recognizable Sonic characters. And that's why I believe he can be in Smash Bros. And honestly, I don't mind if Shadow is an unique character or an Echo Fighter for Sonic, as long as he stays true to his character. If he's an Echo Fighter, I personally want him to have slight tweak animations to make him look like he's Shadow. Plus, an up-b teleport like Mewtwo and a change in side or down special so that he doesn't have TWO spindashes (which is my biggest criticism about Sonic's moveset design). That's it. If he would be unique, I would expect a bit more like having Chaos Powers and some changes in his basic attacks (similar to how he is in Project M Legacy). At this point, I expect him to be an Echo, and that's okay for me. As long as Sakurai and his team does some enough changes that I mentioned, I'll be happy to play more of him.

Again, still have hopes for him, and even if he's not in the base roster, I'll continue to support the character until he gets officially deconfirmed.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Except the back of the box is not what the box theory is about. That is changing the theory entirely to prove that you are right.

And believe that a box that can be subject to change is not the answer

No. What is childish is scolding someone, telling them that they are "plugging their ears" for doubting a theory that is yet to be proven. And the people who stated they don't trust the box theory have their individual reasons not to trust it that do not simply equate to "I refuse to believe it".

And yet here you are arguing that even if the sides of the box does not hold true then the back of the box can which does not equate the box theory at all.

Another childish point is to put words in my mouth simply so you can gain an edge in a disagreement. Just because someone refuses to believe does not mean they lack an open mind, maybe they refuse to believe it because all the conclusions they come to does not mean the box theory is right.
Ugh, I'm merely thinking more than what someone points out to me and saying True or False. It can be both. Not sure why you feel it's 100% or 0%. I guess my theory is Box Theory + then? Or Box Theory Ultimate? I don't know, but it's based on the box, the music, the stages, Sakurai's words, etc. it all points to the roster coming to a close. The box theory may be too little, but it's still a reality check for most people on here. Writing it off and expecting a Delibird's tail of newcomers left is only going to lead to disappointment.

Nah, I'm saying the sides could ring true and Ken + Incineroar finish that side. Then on the back we got Geno, Banjo, and Shadow/Tails. Or something along those lines. It makes the base of the box theory true, but it contradicts with the back since it's unseen and therefor could hold a or a couple characters as well.

I kind of have trouble seeing how my line of "plugging one's ears" is more offensive than you calling my post out as childish, scolding, and etc. I mean the actual poster I was posting to... took it better than you, just saying.

We should also stop cause our disagreement on my choice of wording as it's making out for a worse storyline than Shadow's "Am I a robot?" storyline.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ugh, I'm merely thinking more than what someone points out to me and saying True or False. It can be both. Not sure why you feel it's 100% or 0%.
Again, stop putting words in my mouth.

I guess my theory is Box Theory + then? Or Box Theory Ultimate? I don't know, but it's based on the box, the music, the stages, Sakurai's words, etc. it all points to the roster coming to a close. The box theory may be too little, but it's still a reality check for most people on here. Writing it off and expecting a Delibird's tail of newcomers left is only going to lead to disappointment.
It is not unreasonable to expect more newcomers than what a box says as we have two more months to wait until Smash Ultimate releases.

Nah, I'm saying the sides could ring true and Ken + Incineroar finish that side. Then on the back we got Geno, Banjo, and Shadow/Tails. Or something along those lines. It makes the base of the box theory true, but it contradicts with the back since it's unseen and therefor could hold a or a couple characters as well.
But the issue is that the box theory does not mention the back side of the box at all; therefore, adding anything would change the original theory and make it to be a new one.

I kind of have trouble seeing how my line of "plugging one ear's" is more offensive than you calling my post out as childish, scolding, and etc. I mean the actual poster took it better than you, just saying.
Because you started out with a statement assuming that those who do not believe in the box theory as people who have no real case against it and are simply acting childish to go against it. I was pointing out how you needlessly ridiculed those who may think differently then you and showed you how it was childish to make claims in the first place. And yet again, you are making personal remarks when there is no need.

We should also stop cause our disagreement on my choice of wording as it's making out for a worse storyline than Shadow's "Am I a robot?" storyline.
Then stop.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sure, I argue he wasn't that bad in Heroes, but his own game just bugs me.
Sonic Heroes implies at the end of Team Dark's story the Shadow in that game is not the same Shadow from SA2. Basically Heroes had it that the Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow we knew and loved is still dead but Eggman created clones that might be a whole army of loyal Shadow androids and/or DNA clones that would help him take over the world and the Shadow in Heroes is one of those Shadow clones that Rouge and Omega found and released before perhaps Eggman put any loyalty into him.

I would of much preferred this route since you could bring back Shadow without actually bringing back the old Shadow and do whatever the heck you want with this other Shadow.

But the Shadow game retcons it, albeit you do have to find the retcon since it's pretty hidden. Basically spend long enough on the final boss of the game and Eggman says his robots rescued Shadow during his fall to earth.

Still, I would of appreciated it better if the Shadow we knew kept his dignity and stayed dead. And we just got a new Shadow in his place. It's understandable that they link it to make the same Shadow because the original Shadow is who people get attached to. But the Shadow game just kind of ruined the whole mystery (And had weird decisions during the final story that tried to make Professor Gerald... you know... the one who programmed the ARK to destroy the earth once the eclipse cannon got all the emeralds, all because of Maria's death as someone sympathetic)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sonic Heroes implies at the end of Team Dark's story the Shadow in that game is not the same Shadow from SA2. Basically Heroes had it that the Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow we knew and loved is still dead but Eggman created clones that might be a whole army of loyal Shadow androids and/or DNA clones that would help him take over the world and the Shadow in Heroes is one of those Shadow clones that Rouge and Omega found and released before perhaps Eggman put any loyalty into him.

I would of much preferred this route since you could bring back Shadow without actually bringing back the old Shadow and do whatever the heck you want with this other Shadow.

But the Shadow game retcons it, albeit you do have to find the retcon since it's pretty hidden. Basically spend long enough on the final boss of the game and Eggman says his robots rescued Shadow during his fall to earth.

Still, I would of appreciated it better if the Shadow we knew kept his dignity and stayed dead. And we just got a new Shadow in his place. It's understandable that they link it to make the same Shadow because the original Shadow is who people get attached to. But the Shadow game just kind of ruined the whole mystery (And had weird decisions during the final story that tried to make Professor Gerald... you know... the one who programmed the ARK to destroy the earth once the eclipse cannon got all the emeralds, all because of Maria's death as someone sympathetic)
At this point it comes to having Shadow have an original moveset consisted entirely of what he can do in Shadow the Hedgehog, be an Echo like Sonic, or be a semi clone of Sonic with some of his own moves.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Never really bought the idea that the Shadow in Heroes was a fake, considering the one in Heroes was the only one locked away in one of Eggman's bases with Omega guarding him and programmed to attack when Shadow's pod was opened. Sounds like a lot of security for a supposed 'clone'. On the other hand, there were a bunch of clones, which I guess would be the Shadow Androids from the next game, all stashed in Eggman's airship. Not to mention in that final cutscene Rouge tells Omega about Shadow being a clone only for him to reply by saying to make all the clones that the original must exist somewhere. Shadow also drops various hints of having vague recollections of his memories throughout several stages in Heroes as well. Either way, Shadow's rep probably would've been a lot better if he stayed dead in SA2, maybe with clones showing up for spinoff games. Heck, Gamma got that treatment for Sonic Battle, and Omega is pretty much his successor.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Never really bought the idea that the Shadow in Heroes was a fake, considering the one in Heroes was the only one locked away in one of Eggman's bases with Omega guarding him and programmed to attack when Shadow's pod was opened. Sounds like a lot of security for a supposed 'clone'. On the other hand, there were a bunch of clones, which I guess would be the Shadow Androids from the next game, all stashed in Eggman's airship. Not to mention in that final cutscene Rouge tells Omega about Shadow being a clone only for him to reply by saying to make all the clones that the original must exist somewhere. Shadow also drops various hints of having vague recollections of his memories throughout several stages in Heroes as well. Either way, Shadow's rep probably would've been a lot better if he stayed dead in SA2, maybe with clones showing up for spinoff games. Heck, Gamma got that treatment for Sonic Battle, and Omega is pretty much his successor.
Plus, there was apparently a translation error between "clone" and "robot". Hence "You know about cloning, the original must exist somewhere".

I love Sonic Heroes... great game.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, sorry about that. I meant 'clones' in the context of how the Shadow Androids worked, being robotic replicas of Shadow. You can see one of the robot copies in the cutscene after the Egg Albatross.

I remember having good times playing Heroes. I think Team Chaotix was probably my favorite team, awful mission system aside, just because of how great they played off of each other. Though, SA2 still tops it for me.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
So what if they took Shadow’s assist out because Knux did better on the ballot? I mean Tails and Knuckles were the ones that received the Mii costumes. I can’t stop worrying about this, I’m going crazy I swear. I really hope Sonic isn’t snuffed. I don’t know if I could watch Ken become playable and not Shadow. Any Sonic character would be fine with me at this point tbh. I just want some love given to my favorite game franchise of all time. I hope Sakurai noticed the outcry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom