• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, Lucina, and Dark Pit all have different personalities from their base character. I would not think Shadow's personality alone would warrant making him a non-echo if these weren't

Don't know much about Richter but it seems to me he has his own flair that'll be different from Simon in his animations.

Shadow is quite honestly the perfect choice for a Sonic echo after Sakurai has laid out more detailed word on echoes. He shares similar abilities, plays exactly the same in Adventure 2 (his debut) and in the most recent game (Forces), has pretty much the same body shape, very very popular. And would only need to change mainly the animations that work great for Sonic's cocky attitude changed to something more Shadow's style.
That’s a good point

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Am I weird for wanting to hear Sean Schemmel sing this in his Black Doom voice?

I mean, seriously, it would be freaking amazing...

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Wanted shadow in smash 4, 10,000% behind him as an echo in smash ultimate! PLEASE daddy Sakurai

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm all in. Shadow in Smash has been a dream of mine for years. When I saw Legacy XP reveal him at the start of the year, I thought that was the best things were ever going to get.

Then June rolled around and we saw Knuckles take his place while Sakurai simultaneously introduced us to the concept of Echo Fighters. After much research and speculation, I am damn near certain Shadow has been promoted to Sonic's Echo, and will be a very happy fanboy when they reveal him.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Add me as a supporter ^.^ Shadow is my most wanted character in smash ultimate and I would be overjoyed to see him be promoted to be playable!

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I really hope one of Shadow's taunts is him pulling out a gun
Y'know, him pulling a Ganondorf would be pretty funny.

Although it's painfully obvious that SEGA wants to distance themselves from the overly edgy ShTH incarnation of Shadow. They immediately backpedaled in '06 and after that they stopped using characters that arn't Sonic. :(

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tbh I rather want shadow to pull out a green chaos emerald than a gun >.>’
Yeah that'd be much better. Maybe he'd even lift it up in the air like when he was saying "It all starts with this... a jewel containing the ultimate power" in the cutscene where Sonic first meets Shadow in the city.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that'd be much better. Maybe he'd even lift it up in the air like when he was saying "It all starts with this... a jewel with the ultimate power" in the cutscene where Sonic first meets Shadow in the city.
Yup. Exactly. I like shadow but however I wasn’t a fan of his game I felt like the game was trying too hard to make shadow seem like a badass with all the guns and stuff. I think shadow can be cool without them but I know there people out there that likes his game but that’s just my opinion (shadow fans don’t kill me >.>). So I don’t blame SEGA if they are trying to act like the game didn’t exist.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Y'know, him pulling a Ganondorf would be pretty funny.

Although it's painfully obvious that SEGA wants to distance themselves from the overly edgy ShTH incarnation of Shadow. They immediately backpedaled in '06 and after that they stopped using characters that arn't Sonic. :(
But... just last year, well...

If SEGA was trying to stay the **** away from OW THE EDGE, this wouldn't have happened.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yup. Exactly. I like shadow but however I wasn’t a fan of his game I felt like the game was trying too hard to make shadow seem like a badass with all the guns and stuff. I think shadow can be cool without them but I know there people out there that likes his game but that’s just my opinion (shadow fans don’t kill me >.>). So I don’t blame SEGA if they are trying to act like the game didn’t exist.
I'd much rather them ignore his spin-off game (Besides maybe including I Am All Of Me as a track but that's it) too, so you're not alone.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice

If SEGA was trying to stay the **** away from OW THE EDGE, this wouldn't have happened.
Aw, don't remind me of the massive disappointment that was Infinite. There were so many missed opportunities.

Then again, you can say that about pretty much all of Forces.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Aw, don't remind me of the massive disappointment that was Infinite. There were so many missed opportunities.

Then again, you can say that about pretty much all of Forces.
I can’t not agree more infinite had such a bad ass theme that got me want to know how cool of a villain he could be but boy was he disappointing :/ and yea sonic forces was a disappointment in itself

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416

Infinite is pretty tame. He never touched a gun or said a swear the entire game.
He was a generic anime villain. The entire games plot is just a bunch of ****ty anime tropes put in a blender, naturally the result was totally disappointing. Top it off with extremely bare-bones gameplay that almost seems like a parody of how people describe the boost-formula gameplay, you got an entire cake of mediocrity.

Bringing it back to Shadow, I don't like what they did with him in Forces. He just seems mean and angry.
I miss little things like how in Heroes he would ask Eggman to just call off the meaningless battle going on. For someone who was basically created to be a weapon, he doesn't seem very fond of conflict. That's nice.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I don’t blame SEGA if they are trying to act like the game didn’t exist.
If they're doing that, then they don't seem to have any problems with referencing it. They remixed the main options menu theme and Westopolis for Sonic Forces and there was a theme for the 3DS that had Shadow The Hedgehog vibes to it. It had a burning city and the folders had the Black Arms/Shadow insignia on them. Heck, the original options theme was even used as the music for the theme, which I personally have no problem with that.

As you have all stated, SEGA is distancing themselves from that game, though it has also been thirteen years since they released that game. They had a good concept going with Shadow joining G.U.N. after that game, which is set before the essentially non-canon Sonic 06. Technically he is still a member of G.U.N., as in-game dialogue in Sonic 06 suggests that he had joined years prior to the events of the game; yet with the recent characterization for Shadow in recent years, I somewhat doubt this is still true today. With SEGA wanting to make Shadow into a mean character, Shadow's qualities as a hero are all but gone.

It's a shame, seeing as they could have made another game for Shadow with his characterization from Sonic 06 and earlier (except from ShTH), fighting as an agent of G.U.N. and potentially having newer enemies to fight (Yellow Shadow Android and Infinite come to mind). They could have also resolved the plot-hole of why Shadow was actually created; remember that he was created to be a cure for Maria's disease. They could have shown how Shadow was adjusting to working toward helping humanity, or even give G.U.N. a larger role as support for Shadow or something, or even expand Shadow's relationships with Rouge and Omega as friends and partners.

Sometimes I wish that SEGA didn't start using only Sonic for their games.

XTRAordinaryZG

Smash Rookie
Il support, whatever I like shadow

If sonic ever got a nd non clone character I'd want eggman.

Hope we gt a mania stage. And actual remixes this time unlike 4
I kinda agree with that. Hopefully they'd remix Greenhill in Mania form. But we all know that will never happen.

Infinite is pretty tame. He never touched a gun or said a swear the entire game.
He was a generic anime villain. The entire games plot is just a bunch of ****ty anime tropes put in a blender, naturally the result was totally disappointing. Top it off with extremely bare-bones gameplay that almost seems like a parody of how people describe the boost-formula gameplay, you got an entire cake of mediocrity.

Bringing it back to Shadow, I don't like what they did with him in Forces. He just seems mean and angry.
I miss little things like how in Heroes he would ask Eggman to just call off the meaningless battle going on. For someone who was basically created to be a weapon, he doesn't seem very fond of conflict. That's nice.
If you think that Infinite theme is good just listen to this! :yoshimelee:
Sonic Forces ▶ Infinite Theme (Remix/Cover) [ft. Cosmitto] | CG5

I was originally going to make a Shadow thread a couple of weeks ago but I completely forgot about it somehow. So glad there's finally a Shadow support thread, I 100% support him. Also, it's a complete injustice to not include this song on your list of music related to him:
Yeah if they were to add Shadow to Ultimate. Then I would recommend that they'd use "All Hail Shadow" Because it legit shows how cool of a character he'd be.

Well Shadow legit would represent what an Echo Fighter is. Other than Dark Samus, Shadow is almost Sonics opposite. (Other than Speed)
Sonic saves his friends without having to be profited, Shadow I saw in adventure 2 saved Rouge only for the Chaos Emeralds.
Sonic brings life and colors while Shadow brings destruction and chaos.
Sonic is a Hero Shadow is both Hero/Villian.
There is a bunch more reasons but Daisy represents what an Echo Fighter is (In my opinion.) But if Shadow were added to Smash then he'd take that Role from her.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I guess I have a question to all shadow fans if any see this message but...
Do you think shadow should be a echo fighter? Or a semi-clone like Isabelle? Or heck do you even think he should be unique?
I have seen a lot of debates on what shadow should be from the fans in YouTube comments lol so what is everyone thoughts on this subject? I personally would love a unique shadow just look at smash bros legacy xp but I have a feeling shadow will be a echo but his specials will be his chaos powers pretty much he might just get the chrom treatment.

Last edited:

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Just in a pure void of a character concept and not worrying about whether or not he might take another character's spot, I think we can all agree that Shadow's full potential could be as a semi-clone of sonic, much like how he is in PM Legacy XP. I don't really see any debate to that. To be honest, Legacy XP Shadow is just an exceptionally well-crafted character and probably one of the most fun characters I've played in Smash. It had a lot of love and care for the character that just put a smile on my face as I was playing.

But we most likely won't get that whole package. I'm willing to settle for Echo Fighter since that at least means he's playable, and it's realistically his best chance at getting in. Though at least we know he probably won't just be Sonic with different damage and knockback numbers like I had originally feared when we first got introduced to Echo Fighters back in June.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Do you think shadow should be a echo fighter? Or a semi-clone like Isabelle? Or heck do you even think he should be unique?
I have seen a lot of debates on what shadow should be from the fans in YouTube comments lol so what is everyone thoughts on this subject? I personally would love a unique shadow just look at smash bros legacy xp but I have a feeling shadow will be a echo but his specials will be his chaos powers pretty much he might just get the chrom treatment.
I'm hopeful for a Chrom-level echo at most. Sure, a semi-clone WOULD be nice, however an echo fighter just feels more likely. Plus, there'd be less backlash that way, Shadow is a very divisive character.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'm hopeful for a Chrom-level echo at most. Sure, a semi-clone WOULD be nice, however an echo fighter just feels more likely. Plus, there'd be less backlash that way, Shadow is a very divisive character.
I'd certainly be quite disappointed if Shadow got the semi clone treatment. Tails is a far better choice in that department.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Both would be fine with me. He works either way. As long as his chaos aesthetics and general personality of being somewhat edgy is there, it's all good. That's what makes him such a great character. His emotions. He brings the dark counterpart style without being a literal one/clone(well, he is based upon Super Sonic, but still).

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
If they're doing that, then they don't seem to have any problems with referencing it. They remixed the main options menu theme and Westopolis for Sonic Forces and there was a theme for the 3DS that had Shadow The Hedgehog vibes to it. It had a burning city and the folders had the Black Arms/Shadow insignia on them. Heck, the original options theme was even used as the music for the theme, which I personally have no problem with that.
I think you might be remembering a custom 3DS theme, I recall something having something like that on my CFW 3DS myself. But there's only one official Shadow 3DS theme as far as I'm aware, and it doesn't have any overt references to the Shadow game the way you described it.
Shadow_3DS_Theme_2.jpg

Music is Radical Highway, background is just a general grey and red graphic with Shadow's face, and the folders just have red dashes on em.

Sorry, totally screwed up on this one.

Last edited:

kodoru__

Smash Cadet
I think you might be remembering a custom 3DS theme, I recall something having something like that on my CFW 3DS myself. But there's only one official Shadow 3DS theme as far as I'm aware, and it doesn't have any overt references to the Shadow game the way you described it.
View attachment 167535
Music is Radical Highway, background is just a general grey and red graphic with Shadow's face, and the folders just have red dashes on em.

There are two Shadow themes: BGM is "Shadow The Hedgehog-System:select."

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
View attachment 167535

Sorry, totally screwed up on this one.
That's alright. If I remember right, the Radical Highway 3DS theme was released back in 2014, and I never even knew of the other one either until two months ago.

There are two Shadow themes: BGM is "Shadow The Hedgehog-System:select."
Yep, this is the one I was talking about. Since this one was released in 2016, I find it contradictory of SEGA to want to forget about Shadow's game when they continue to throw references around. Even LEGO Dimensions made a reference with Shadow holding a gun, though to be fair, that game is non-canon to the Sonic series.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know Guys... I'm just gonna say this right now

After thinking about it logically, and getting an Epiphany, I now think that Shadow is 200% Confirmed...as an unique Fighter

Screencap this, do whatever, this is the prediction i'm super confident in

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
That's alright. If I remember right, the Radical Highway 3DS theme was released back in 2014, and I never even knew of the other one either until two months ago.

Yep, this is the one I was talking about. Since this one was released in 2016, I find it contradictory of SEGA to want to forget about Shadow's game when they continue to throw references around. Even LEGO Dimensions made a reference with Shadow holding a gun, though to be fair, that game is non-canon to the Sonic series.
I own both Shadow themes on my 3DS!

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

After thinking about it logically, and getting an Epiphany, I now think that Shadow is 200% Confirmed...as an unique Fighter

Whatever you say. I still think you'll be hilariously wrong.

kodoru__

Smash Cadet

I think it's very unlikely that Shadow is a semi-clone(or uniqie fighter). Because we don't have any 3rd party series with two unique fighters yet.

...But if he's really a semi-clone, I'll be so happy I can't ask for any more.^_^ It would be not bad to have hope even if it is unlikely.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I really hope one of Shadow's taunts is him pulling out a gun
Can it please be a Machine gun that he ***** like it's a shotgun?

EDIT: Well I get why that word was censored but it's not a swear in this context....

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Hi shadow fans ^.^ since I have some time on my hands (and want this thread to stay alive) I was thinking we all should rate shadow chances of being in the final base roster of the game. Since sakurai confirm character reveals are going to be slowed down in which I’m assuming only limited amount of characters making it into the base game. Do you think shadow have a chance in making it in? And if not do you think he will be dlc?

I think shadow have a 70% chance of making into the base roster. If he is not then 70% of being dlc but probably will have tails and shadow be a dlc pack. Idk if echos will be dlcs. My expectations of him being in the game is kinda low because I don’t want to set myself up to be burned lol but I predict he will be reveal as a echo fighter along side with ken and maybe dixie kong if she is a echo. It’s just strange shadow AT is still missing and from the pattern of things in smash usually when a character was an AT is missing becomes playable.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we are rating Shadow, I'm giving him, as a lowball, a 95% chance of being in the base roster as an unique fighter. Mark my words. I will explain why, but maybe later

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
If we are rating Shadow, I'm giving him, as a lowball, a 95% chance of being in the base roster as an unique fighter. Mark my words. I will explain why, but maybe later
I admire your optimism and I would like to hear your explanation on why you think shadow will be unique. Shadow being unique would be the dream but sadly I have a feeling he is going to be a echo :(

NotTabuu

Smash Rookie
He is in.
I don't want excuses, box theories, music theories or any other stupid theory.
Vergeben almost NEVER leaked Echoes except for Ken.
Everything shows that he will make it in.
Can't wait to add him to my team of mains.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Couldn't we give him a chaos spear Down b, teleport up b, and a spin dash side b, and still call him an echo?
Don't you mean Chaos Burst Down B?

But no. It's not that simple. While a Teleport is fairly easy to remake without taking any real work(not unlike Chrom's Up B), completely giving him a new projectile when there's no animations to immediately borrow from takes even more work. Whether it's Chaos Spear or Chaos Blast, both require animation work and actual new gameplay coding that far exceeds an Echo's ease of creation. If he has a different move, it has to be super easy to retool(in this case, he Teleports via his own Assist Trophy, and simply appearing and reappearing is a very common code that has nothing to do with skeleton work alone, since he has the animation for it already. So while it's possible that Chaos Control could take more work than I understand, it's a move that may be super easy to retool. But any other unique moves need to have an easy way to animate or somebody with the same proportions/build as him to quickly port over. That doesn't exist, however. Nobody else has his proportions but Sonic).

Let's say Chaos Spear was his Final Smash. The hitbox/etc. could still be Ancient Arrow, but he needs new animations. Being Sakurai is willing to go out of his way for that for any Echo, it's fairly plausible to see. Not that I think he'd get that as a Final Smash(it'd probably be Super Shadow), but you get the idea.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
He is in.
I don't want excuses, box theories, music theories or any other stupid theory.
Vergeben almost NEVER leaked Echoes except for Ken.
Everything shows that he will make it in.
Can't wait to add him to my team of mains.
I hope so because there have to be a reason why knuckles replaced him as an AT. Shadow can’t be a boss in the story mode he is too small and eggman can be a better boss. Shadow being cut from the game kinda don’t make sense because why would sakurai and his team waste time creating knuckles as an AT. Shadow being AT again kinda would be a slap in the face because they could of had shown him off as an AT right along with knuckles and I’m pretty sure shadow as an AT does not take that much development time since all shadow did was chaos control to slow time down.

Top Bottom