• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The argument now isn't whether Shadow is going to be in the game, but whether he will be an Echo or Semi-Clone.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
The argument now isn't whether Shadow is going to be in the game, but whether he will be an Echo or Semi-Clone.
I say echo still for sure, if Sonic can get a semi-clone. Give it to someone that can at least neutrally be accepted and still a decent enough support base for Smash across the board even for non-Sonic fans like Tails. Shadow's most popular appearances are when he plays just like Sonic like in SA2. A unique/semi-clone moveset for Shadow represents an age of Sonic people want to forget. Meanwhile Tails has been a part of Smash support even if a little bit quiet for a long while nearly as long as Sonic has since that old EGM April fools Melee hoax. And is part of Sonic's most received games like the classic trilogy and as of recently Mania. Not to mention Tails got a mii costume which Isabelle got. And Shadow did not. I'm not saying Tails will get in and Shadow will not as I feel it's very possible that both can get in now, but if Isabelle raises Shadow's chances at all. The same can be said for Tails.

Just add chaos powers for some fancy effects for some of his moves and/or a Final Smash. And you have a few guns in the items and that's good enough for the Shadow with a gun jokes which you can take screenshots of xP

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I say echo still for sure, if Sonic can get a semi-clone. Give it to someone that can at least neutrally be accepted and still a decent enough support base for Smash across the board even for non-Sonic fans like Tails. Shadow's most popular appearances are when he plays just like Sonic like in SA2. A unique/semi-clone moveset for Shadow represents an age of Sonic people want to forget. Meanwhile Tails has been a part of Smash support even if a little bit quiet for a long while nearly as long as Sonic has since that old EGM April fools Melee hoax. And is part of Sonic's most received games like the classic trilogy and as of recently Mania. Not to mention Tails got a mii costume which Isabelle got. And Shadow did not. I'm not saying Tails will get in and Shadow will not as I feel it's very possible that both can get in now, but if Isabelle raises Shadow's chances at all. The same can be said for Tails.

Just add chaos powers for some fancy effects for some of his moves and/or a Final Smash. And you have a few guns in the items and that's good enough for the Shadow with a gun jokes which you can take screenshots of xP
Yup. If Sonic was getting a semi clone, it'd definitely be Tails before Shadow.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
A unique/semi-clone moveset for Shadow represents an age of Sonic people want to forget.
I disagree, there is pleanty of moves you can take from his least controversial apperances SA2, Heroes, and Battle to make him a decent semi-clone.

I get that Tails does not have the "edgeness" controversy going for him, but I really doubt the Shadow haters are a big enough deterrent for Shadow chances as an echo or semi-clone. Because Shadow's similarities to Sonic and his popularity make him a perfect fit for either.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I still think that Shadow is more likely as an echo, but I did think the same a about Isabelle and that shocked me.

Either way Shadow's AT still being MIA is keeping me hopeful.

D

Deleted member

Not going to lie, I didn't expect it to become so likely that Shadow would be the next Sonic character if we got one. I always thought that would be Tails. But I like Shadow and would be A-OK with him getting in as a Sonic Echo. Granted I don't think he'll have the same Up B. Spring Jump doesn't fit quite as well for Shadow so he'll probably have Chaos Control as an Up B that works like Mewtwo's. As for the Final Smash, Super Shadow? Or Chaos Blast? Only time will tell.

But all in all, you can count me it as a Shadow supporter.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Been browsing /v a lot lately and the pessimism is quite prevalent there. It’s been bringing me down. What are our current feelings on his chances? Apparently some smash box with all the characters on the sides only had enough space for 4 more characters. So 4chan thinks we’re only getting 4 more.

Attachments

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As of right now I think the Box theory is potentially our final base game set.

Could be proven wrong, of course but the main message I wanna get across is that, even if Shadow isn’t in the base game. He could always be DLC.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I hate to keep with the pessimism, but it's not 4 spaces, it's two spaces. And I think the box theory is pretty sound... and unfortunately it kind of eliminates Shadow since Sonic is not in the group of 9 characters that Corin got pushed out of.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Been browsing /v a lot lately and the pessimism is quite prevalent there. It’s been bringing me down. What are our current feelings on his chances? Apparently some smash box with all the characters on the sides only had enough space for 4 more characters. So 4chan thinks we’re only getting 4 more.
everyone's a jerk on /v/, you get used to it after a while
but don't worry, slot speculation has been infamous in the smash community for getting us absolutely nowhere
if i may quote a comment from 4chan

"Hey remember when people tried to say how many DLC characters 4 would have based on the room for characters but all the character icons just got smaller? Remember when people tried using the poster with all the characters for Ultimate to theorize how many characters would be in but when a new character was shown it was just edited to make room? How about when people tried to use the placeholder box to theorize how many would get in? This literally never works and you keep doing it. "

D

Deleted member

Personally I do not consider the box theory credible. Could it end up being the case? Yes. But the idea that there’s only a certain amount of characters left because of limited room on the box just does not sound like something that would be th case. Besides, Nintendo never actually said the box would be getting a revision. The box we’ve already seen is probably it’s final look.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm not 100% sold on the box theory, but it DOES make sense. So we'll see.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
For now I believe the theory and think Shadow is currently out of the running for base game.

But I propose something, Tails and Shadow fans (Maybe Sonic fans altogether) should join forces (*insert Sonic Forces joke here*) and campaign for Tails and Shadow as a character DLC pack or something of that nature where Shadow's an echo of Sonic and comes with an Isabelle-style Tails.

Of course this is assuming Shadow doesn't just end up being an assist trophy again or the small sliver of chance Tails is the final newcomer. (Tails is TECHNICALLY still alive due to the music and mii costume theories. But I highly expect either a Gen 7 Pokemon or Elma instead. Cause Pokemon and Xenoblade music has yet to appear too)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
For now I believe the theory and think Shadow is currently out of the running for base game.

But I propose something, Tails and Shadow fans (Maybe Sonic fans altogether) should join forces (*insert Sonic Forces joke here*) and campaign for Tails and Shadow as a character DLC pack or something of that nature where Shadow's an echo of Sonic and comes with an Isabelle-style Tails.

Of course this is assuming Shadow doesn't just end up being an assist trophy again or the small sliver of chance Tails is the final newcomer. (Tails is TECHNICALLY still alive due to the music and mii costume theories. But I highly expect either a Gen 7 Pokemon or Elma instead. Cause Pokemon and Xenoblade music has yet to appear too)
So it’s impossible for this box image to be a place holder? I mean it clearly doesn’t have all the characters on it yet, since they’ve not all been revealed. This would be one hell of a way to spill the beans on this.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
alright, alright, let me put it like this--

Do you all think Masahiro Sakurai, someone who wants his game to be as unpredictable as possible, would let the final roster of the game be revealed on a god damn BOX before anything else?

Do you all legitimately believe that?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually don't think Shadow's going to be in the game now

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster

Do you all think Masahiro Sakurai, someone who wants his game to be as unpredictable as possible, would let the final roster of the game be revealed on a god damn BOX before anything else?

It isn't impossible. The marketing team would almost assuredly know how many characters are remaining and the design is seemingly built to accommodate that.

However, you can argue against it as well, which many people have. I'm skeptical either way, because the evidence presented is strong but it could easily end up meaning nothing. Either way this doesn't really make me feel any sort of denial because my other most wanted echo (Ken) seems very likely anyway. Here's to hoping that this theory will be disproven in the near future though.

SonicMario

Smash Master

Reminder that this isn't going to be the normal ol' speculation cycle simply because they've stated we will know all the base game characters before launch. If this theory is true, we will likely know all the base game characters by November 2nd. Meaning an October Smash direct will be our final base game character reveals.

Trust me, I'd like to be wrong here and see more then two characters left in the base game. But there's nothing wrong with at least setting expectations low. So that regardless if this turns out true or not. Either I have long already made peace by the time the announcements are made, or I'm ecstatic because there was more then I thought.

I'll at least say this, I think either way how this goes. I do think Shadow's not going to be in the base game. The set of 9 Sonic is in is complete. And the echo that's on the other side must come from any of the characters numbered 54-61 even if it somehow turns out not being Ken. And i just don't think Shadow could be a non-echo in the base game and thus the final newcomer. There's still a Gen 7 Pokemon, Elma, or even within the Sonic series itself: Tails as an Isabelle-style clone that Shadow would have to hurdle over.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Are people really holding on to the box theory? Come on, guys. The Fighter posts alone proves we'll get more than that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For 5the love of....

This box theory is getting more idiotic by the minute

ITS NOT THE FINAL DESIGN!

Besides how do we know there’s no characters behind the box.

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
box discussion out of the way,

wednesday, october 10th, the 11th anniversary of sonic's reveal in brawl
mark my words, that's when shadow will be revealed
and if it isn't, you guys get to decide my punishment :roll:

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster

You poor soul. Don't do this to yourself. :laugh:

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
I've only played one Sonic game, which happens to be Sonic Adventure 2. So, I'll show support for Shadow. He'd be pretty cool. :D

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice

Sonic was also revealed for Smash 4 on October 1st. Maybe we'll see Shadow playable around that time, too? Just from the trend alone I feel like October would be the month we finally get our answer.
Also, that box theory is ridiculous. They can make room as they see fit. We don't even know what the whole thing looks like yet.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If it's any sort of "guilty pleasure", I kinda love Shadow as a character, and i'll be really disappointed if he doesn't join the fight. I'd love him to be unique, but i'd even take a Chromified echo at this point.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Hey, you can go ahead and add me to your list of Shadow supporters. I'm only an infrequent SmashBoarder but I freakin' love Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm definitely not expecting anything more than an echo, though.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

This would lineup around a hypothetical direct if we were to get one too. Very possible.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The corocoro thing doesn't destroy the box theory altogether yet. It's now time to put them in conjunction with one another first before saying one disproves the other.

The corocoro thing could be mistaken and accidentally put 8 instead of 3. And the magazine only covers what was in the 8/8 direct (No isabelle). Keep in mind Famitsu still said 103. It'd be interesting if only CoroCoro knows of the 108 stages while no one else did.

If it's true though that there's 108 stages after all though. That only disproves one part of it or at least the widespread interprtation of only one more unique/semi-clone newcomer (Though also keep in mind 5 stages might not automatically mean 5 more characters/franchises). It does not discredit "No echo fighters numbered prior to Palutena". Meaning Shadow might still be out of luck in the base game unless he's a semi-clone. But at this point I think Tails is likelier for that now. The only way there can still be a Sonic echo or any other echoes for characters prior to Palutena in the order is if there's two Smash directs left where the October reveals are on the Special Edition while any November reveals are purposefully left off the box as one final surprise. And I'm not sure what are the chances that there will be two Smash directs back-to-back like that.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
An idea I've seen bandied about a bit: what if the reason Knuckles replaced Shadow as an AT... was because the licensing fee for Shadow was greater than last time while Knuckles was cheaper?

Rather mundane, but in light of things it doesn't seem improbable.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
An idea I've seen bandied about a bit: what if the reason Knuckles replaced Shadow as an AT... was because the licensing fee for Shadow was greater than last time while Knuckles was cheaper?

Rather mundane, but in light of things it doesn't seem improbable.
I extremely doubt that.

Counting trophies, Brawl had at least 11 different Sonic characters make a apprentice , so did For Wii U, and For 3DS had 19. Even if most of these are just models, they are still in the game, and getting them to appear as never been a problem in the past.

I don't really know how this licensing stuff really works but it doesn't really makes sense for Nintendo to cheap out on one of their most successful game series. And I don't really know how Shadow can be that much more expensive then Knuckles.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The corocoro thing doesn't destroy the box theory altogether yet. It's now time to put them in conjunction with one another first before saying one disproves the other.

The corocoro thing could be mistaken and accidentally put 8 instead of 3. And the magazine only covers what was in the 8/8 direct (No isabelle). Keep in mind Famitsu still said 103. It'd be interesting if only CoroCoro knows of the 108 stages while no one else did.

If it's true though that there's 108 stages after all though. That only disproves one part of it or at least the widespread interprtation of only one more unique/semi-clone newcomer (Though also keep in mind 5 stages might not automatically mean 5 more characters/franchises). It does not discredit "No echo fighters numbered prior to Palutena". Meaning Shadow might still be out of luck in the base game unless he's a semi-clone. But at this point I think Tails is likelier for that now. The only way there can still be a Sonic echo or any other echoes for characters prior to Palutena in the order is if there's two Smash directs left where the October reveals are on the Special Edition while any November reveals are purposefully left off the box as one final surprise. And I'm not sure what are the chances that there will be two Smash directs back-to-back like that.
Dude that box is NOT the end all. There is absolutely no way we’re getting 1 more echo. You’ve gotta be more positive. I don’t think that box means ****, and Gamexplain feels the same way. It’s placeholder art, nothing more.

kodoru__

Smash Cadet
Hello! Please add me to the supporter list!
Shadow is my most wanted new fighter^^

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
In my opinion, everyone who's holding onto this "box theory" is clearly not thinking everything through. First, why switch AS Shadow for Knuckles in the first place if Shadow's not in the game? That's absolute bull, even for Sakurai. Second, we don't even know how credible this box leak is. This thing WAS on 4Chan, and besides, Isabelle's not even on there, meaning it's already a little outdated. And even if the pic we've been shown is credible, has Sakurai EVER shown the full roster on a BOX? Besides, there might be extra portraits on the BACK.
To be honest, I don't trust ANY leakers out there and only wait for OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS, not this stuff. Now, let's all just settle down and think about something else. I support Shadow to the end, guys.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
In my opinion, everyone who's holding onto this "box theory" is clearly not thinking everything through. First, why switch AS Shadow for Knuckles in the first place if Shadow's not in the game? That's absolute bull, even for Sakurai. Second, we don't even know how credible this box leak is. This thing WAS on 4Chan, and besides, Isabelle's not even on there, meaning it's already a little outdated. And even if the pic we've been shown is credible, has Sakurai EVER shown the full roster on a BOX? Besides, there might be extra portraits on the BACK.
To be honest, I don't trust ANY leakers out there and only wait for OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS, not this stuff. Now, let's all just settle down and think about something else. I support Shadow to the end, guys.
I really don't get it, frankly. There's no reason to completely remove Shadow when he's the second most popular Sonic character, and he has survived not one, but 2 assist trophy reveals just like Isabelle. There's even the fact Sakurai keeps highlighting Knuckles assist trophy. I know trying to decipher Sakurai is a dangerous game, but it's just so obvious. We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm confident Shadow, at the very least, will be one of the remaining characters.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've mostly been showing support for Tails at this point but wanted to stop by and show some support for Shadow as well. Go team!

Top Bottom