• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Melee Communtiy needs to MAN UP

Retroking2000

Smash Master
only tournaments can achieve that

i dont think people have the time for that humans are lazy wouldn't you want to play someone close

lol and dont say your not lazy cause you are ^^

i know its a bad way of thinking even though every one would like to play more players im sure

MOAR TOURNAMENTS !!!

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
TBH, i used to play FPS competatively, as in a team competing for money years ago.

the fact remains that with a game like smash, you can get dominated whilst trying to improve and not learn a single thing (me in melee so far for example) playing other people helps, but they always sandbag

that pisses me off a whole lot when people sandbag because you cant improve on people who mess with you because they can or because its fun. no one learns anything.

the main reason the uk is possibly not living up to your expectations is because you travel around and see other smash scenes in other countries when about 90% of other players can not do that.

as a new player to the uk smash scene i can tell a few things from what ive seen so far.

1. the melee smash scene is a cold place, i have yet to actually talk to people about melee or play people because no one wants to play some new guy who just came on, the only person i have talked to about melee is Jolteon and BB

2. talkin behind peoples back. this is just bad in general

3. very very few people actually offer matchup advice if your struggleing, your pretty much on your own with very little help (unless you know people in a circle of friends or a crew)

4. when matches get incredibly hyped the games get fun yes and crowds go a little crazy, and thats ok because everyone loves some hype. but when the crowd goes entirely against one player? thats just a crush on morale and may make people feel like giving up.

if i compare this to my experiance as an FPS player (in person and offline)

there is lots of ******ry admittedly BUT there are people out there always willing to play you, most of the time will give some advice if you ask for it but most importantly they mostly are not games you can improve on your own with (take counterstrike for example) your forced to play with other people if you want to win, you have to learn every little thing about the way they play because 1 person cannot carry a team

Tl;Dr you cant really compare FPS to Smash because they are just 2 entirely different scenes with too much diversity between them

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
TBH, i used to play FPS competatively, as in a team competing for money years ago.

the fact remains that with a game like smash, you can get dominated whilst trying to improve and not learn a single thing (me in melee so far for example) playing other people helps, but they always sandbag

that pisses me off a whole lot when people sandbag because you cant improve on people who mess with you because they can or because its fun. no one learns anything.

then ask for them to be serious and help

the main reason the uk is possibly not living up to your expectations is because you travel around and see other smash scenes in other countries when about 90% of other players can not do that.

as a new player to the uk smash scene i can tell a few things from what ive seen so far.

1. the melee smash scene is a cold place, i have yet to actually talk to people about melee or play people because no one wants to play some new guy who just came on, the only person i have talked to about melee is Jolteon and BB

again ask more people, you have to expose yourself and show you want to get better

we don't really

3. very very few people actually offer matchup advice if your struggleing, your pretty much on your own with very little help (unless you know people in a circle of friends or a crew)

THEN ASK PEOPLE MORE, I'm prob the best person to ask about matchups cause I know the good points and bad points =s

4. when matches get incredibly hyped the games get fun yes and crowds go a little crazy, and thats ok because everyone loves some hype. but when the crowd goes entirely against one player? thats just a crush on morale and may make people feel like giving up.

welcome to how I felt in France, but you have to get around that still, this happens in every community no matter game

there is lots of ******ry admittedly BUT there are people out there always willing to play you, most of the time will give some advice if you ask for it but most importantly they mostly are not games you can improve on your own with (take counterstrike for example) your forced to play with other people if you want to win, you have to learn every little thing about the way they play because 1 person cannot carry a team

Tl;Dr you cant really compare FPS to Smash because they are just 2 entirely different scenes with too much diversity between them
its in the quote

fu_gu_

Smash Rookie
This seems like the perfect place to advocate my plan for hosting consistent regional tournaments.... I'm extremely new to the scene (hey this is my first post) and it's more from an organisational point of view which I am interested. I have a group of friends who are interested in developing a much much larger scene around UK Melee, and when I tell you I am from Yeovil then I'm sure a lot of you will know that there is already a hardcore of players here.

I have a fantastic venue, a brand new £10M Primary School (Oaklands: google it) which has scope for holding the different aspects of the tournaments (i.e. singles, doubles) in different areas, so we can accommodate a good number of players.

I just need to get players - equipment is not an issue, I can even get sponsorship from some businesses in the town. The only other thing to consider would be overnight accommodation for players... as we cannot sleep in the school xD I really want to get this moving, it is not going to a smash exclusive tournament, I am also looking at a more localised MW2 community to come it and make it a bigger event. If you want to discuss this further with me - link_01_namagoshi@hotmail.com

fu_gu_

Smash Rookie
:/
A revival is on the cards though? What ever happens can't be half-***** though, which is why I need to get help...

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

This post was just a complaint about things which don't matter and are not important or wrong....

Reponses to points

1. The melee scene is not a cold place, to play people you have to put yourself out there and try to meet people, the melee scene will not make a big effort to come to you for yout to improve, you have to come to it, and I have not seen you on the boards reguarly or heard your name around too much which shows me you haven't put in a huge effort to get in contact with people.
The fact that you just admitted you have only spoken to BB and Jolteon about it proves it, if you meet up with Jolteon I could easily play you as I live close to him.

2. No-one speaks behind anyones backs........it's all pretty blatant which is the thing people actually complain about.......what kinda information are you getting lol?

3. When were you struggling and no-one offered help?
Sometimes you have to ask for help, I know for me it's kinda hard to go to a tournament and give everyone advice when im playing them when I just want to sit back and relax and play friendlies but if you ask for advice I would give it.
And yes it does help when you are with a few friends or a circle of people like in everyday life, that's natural, people prioritize the people they are close with, not the other way around.

4. This happens, sorry but there is no way around it.
Happens in every event and people will not stay quiet if they feel the match is hyped and as a top player this is something you have to adjust to and focus on the match.
And I don't know why you seem not tooo happy about it cos tbh it only happens with the top players and we aren't complaining about it too much.

Edit - OOC!!!!

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

Right now this I just HAD to reply to

1. I don't know why you think this when the complete opposite is true. One of the best things about this community is that 99% of the players are rly friendly and likeable and will always be up for talking and for a FACT if you'd come up to talk to me and said you're new I'd be more than happy to talk to you

3. have you even asked for advice? If you don't ask for advice then you won't get it. People aren't going to automatically teach you things cos you may already know it. Ask anyone in the UK for help and they will give you help. I'd be happy to give you any advice you can offer for example except if I don't know a matchup or character well enough.

That was a REALLY disappointing post TS, the UK community are a LOT better than that

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
those were basically my experiances. (stupidly rushed and poorly worded)

im sorry if that came out offensive as it wasn't my intention.

i have tried speaking to people and as ive said few respond

and as for the melee scene being a cold place thats how it LOOKS from people new to it.

im sorry for the poorly written explanation but it gets my points across, though in a terrible way :/

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
those were basically my experiances. (stupidly rushed and poorly worded)

im sorry if that came out offensive as it wasn't my intention.

i have tried speaking to people and as ive said few respond

and as for the melee scene being a cold place thats how it LOOKS from people new to it.

im sorry for the poorly written explanation but it gets my points across, though in a terrible way :/
well I dont know who you've been talking to but whoever they are would be pretty atypical of the rest of the community as so long as you're willing to make an effort and talk to people, give them some games then people will be very accepting of you. I can say this not only through my personal experience but also from many other players who have been new but have found the community to be very welcoming.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
)

That must happen in every single game ever played competitively its just the way it is, it happens as much in Brawl as it does Melee:ohwell:

Good Thread btw

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Brawl is a cold scene, not Melee. :(

"Boo, MK, go someone else. No skill. *dsmash/nado/up-b johns*"

"omg another mk"

*Nightmares*

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/heGpPrtpEQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/heGpPrtpEQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

JOENOTJEFF

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm Joe.

I used to play melee a lot a few years ago, went up to Ed's in Newcastle one time for some smashing fun.

It's been a while, and I received birthday wishes from Smash Boards (even though it's the next month) and thought I'd check out the forum again.

I'm now living in London and wondering what sort of fun you guys get up to down here. I saw the London monthlies but was also wondering if there are any casual games going on as well.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
east London, Barkingside :p Cool someone old school :) I warn you tho the metagame has changed and some players are ridiculously good. London is the best place to be tho in terms of practise and events

JOENOTJEFF

Smash Rookie
So what's new? You guys play brawl/melee/both. I'm a fast learner :)

Barkingside is really close, your just near the motorway. If you ever fancy a game then let me know.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
at my house in barkingside, if you get to barkingside station and call me or wanna drive to my house then cool

11 Baron Gardens
Barkingside
Ilford
Essex

IG6 1NX

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
EM (Leicester specifically) has improved a lot at Melee over the past few months, and we want to improve even more. I will be placing soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VA

Smash Hero
Attitiudes to improvement are so dumb. Does anyone know why deathgazer is getting good? It's because he practices a lot by himself. Ok this will not be enough for him to actually get good but the mental approach to improving is good. It is COMMITMENT, more people need this.

Whatever people say it was only recently that I started saying that I needed to play with Prof to get better. I have been up there with Prof and Charles without even practicing with anyone except Beast and Smashy.

What people do not understand is that it is not about the quality of who you are playing against that makes you better. You need to fully engage with yourself and your approach to smash in order to improve. After tournaments I would have clear areas of my game that needed work. When I mained Samus this would be things like: "I didn't use Up B out of shield in the right situations, I struggled to edge gaurd falcon". I remember a video I watched a long time ago from MLG, I heard Wife saying that after a tournament m2k would go home and analyse everything he did wrong and right. This is the attitude I have had 1) towards tournaments 2) towards friendlies.

The biggest thing for me is that players are caught up with beating the people they practice with. This should not matter AT ALL. It is insignificant compared to improving, friendlies are friendlies and for that reason they should be the main ground on which you try things out. Tournaments are where you get to implement the tactics you've accustomed yourself to in friendlies. The gap between learning and applying was missing in me for a long time. I had everything I needed in friendlies but tournament pressure would stop me applying it.

Seriously if people don't begin to change the way they think and approach smash things will stay the same for a long time. No one in this scene has beaten the top 4. This will not change until people change the focus from "I can beat my friend" to, "I play my friend and I keep improving".

Those with friends at equal levels to them should consider themselves extremely lucky. I have never had regular practice with anyone that can take a game off me, I would usually win 99-1 in a session. But it was never about that. I have improved to a level that is on par with edwin prof and fuzz and I have played them the least. The practice I have had mainly is against a Luigi and a Ganon and there is not one match up I'm afraid of (least of all ganon haha).

I have said things like this a hundred times before so I doubt anyone will take it on board xD

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Mostly agree with VA, but I gotta contest that the quality of the player you play against does matter a lot. The more you play a good player, the faster your game improves...provided, of course, that you're committed to getting better.

ASIA VS. HAGGIS, THE WAR IS STARTING. WHICH SIDE WILL YOU CHOOSE??????????

VA

Smash Hero
What I'm saying is that unless you know how to get better, it hardly matters whether you're playing m2k or me.

Top Bottom