• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Melee Communtiy needs to MAN UP

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Its got worse, I feel like I dont even have to worry about getting 1st place anymore, the top 5 are just a small challenge in comparison to europe's top players.

seriously step it up UK

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
The community does need to step up.
In their overrall approach to the game, we want everyone to be motivated to be better then what they are and start taking on the TOP PEOPLE so then we can be a force to be reckoned....instead of these annoying predictable results with the same 3/4 people placing here and there....sadly the biggest upset has prob been VA beating me which kinda amplifies the predictability of events, we want some BIG upsets along with BIG IMPROVEMENTS among us all....and I know for one that during my time left in theis community I am willing to help both of these targets to be met to anyone in London (obviously I am limited to out of London).

I've seen a glimpse from practically EVERYONE in this community seeing that they can be the one of the TOP people in the UK, it's actually quite ridiculous and sad at the same time, but if for some silly reason you don't want to be one of the top people ATLEAST set your target high enough to be better then what you are currently, like literally pinpoint better players then you and tell yourself that you want to be better then them ACTUALLY look into the way you play and what you need to improve, this is what all the top people have done which is why we are the top people.

You can't just play the game and expect to improve, well you will improve, but you will be improving and an extremely slow rate which is what's going on now. We need to know what we are doing wrong in our gameplay and also our overall approach to this game and start putting some serious heart and effort into it while still holding the feeling of the fun we all get from this game.

It is kinda sad sometimes do know the potential that exists in this community that just doesn't get exploited, SOOOO much good people who just get stunned at a certain point and good people who aren't bothered and me being one of them because it is partially feeling like I am wasting my time with the community and the lack of improvement.
But I am willing to go on the final run for helping the community to improve and get better and I think it could shift whether I stay or not..

I think we partially owe our Professional approach to Fuzzyness for his Professional approach to setting up this community into turning it what it can be......I think we all want to be one of the strongest regions in Europe.....so let's begin.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
we all want to be one of the strongest regions in Europe.....so let's begin.
Another thing is this, I'm embarassed to put our players in for european crews because we're not good enough and its not the top players fault? man up!! We gotta win a **** european crew tournament

The UK used to be deemed the worst in Europe a few years ago and is still deemed to be one of the worst

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Sadly this is old, people who want this know this, and try.
However if people don't care, nothing will change it.

I personally agree that people should be competative and taken seriously (dont get me wrong, have fun, but you are going to tournements). I already have personal rivalries with several players (to name some, LJ, Tamoo, Aiko, Edwin + others), and am determined to improve. I would even be willing to go to a NE event, dispite it being far more expensive than a regular event.

Also you can't force people into improve, nor can you expect people to. I'm not saying give up on motivation, but being the most persistant player in the world wont make you amazing alone. Also, try being more constructive rather than "UK sucks, step it up". I know one of the highlights for visiting London more than anywhere else is that you give some of the best advice when I play you.

However doing it purely from the perspective of sponsering makes me laugh. You are being a bit optamistic with Nintendo wanting to sponser competative SSBM or even SSBB.

I do encourage you to try to get SSBM into the NE event if possible, and would go.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I've said what I think to you via IM, I agree but I somehow doubt Nintendo would sponsor us. You'd have to find another sponsor.

Also. another problem with our community being students and kids is that they're dirt poor.

Still... we get months to save up, it's no excuse.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
I'm not disagreeing with you in that respect, we do need more good players, and players who won't just settle for how they placed in tournements. However I think this needs to worked at a deeper level than just spamming "UK sucks, step it up" over the forums.

It is clear every time we have a foreign visiter that the UK is below the standard. Tuna came 4th, Sanuzi came 3rd to name a few. Charles best recent european tournement performance has been 9th. Its clear UK isn't good.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'm not disagreeing with you in that respect, we do need more good players, and players who won't just settle for how they placed in tournements. However I think this needs to worked at a deeper level than just spamming "UK sucks, step it up" over the forums.

It is clear every time we have a foreign visiter that the UK is below the standard. Tuna came 4th, Sanuzi came 3rd to name a few. Charles best recent european tournement performance has been 9th. Its clear UK isn't good
lol .

Fuzzyness

The Reality!

It is clear every time we have a foreign visiter that the UK is below the standard. Tuna came 4th, Sanuzi came 3rd to name a few. Charles best recent european tournement performance has been 9th. Its clear UK isn't good.
9th? I came 2nd idiot ~_~

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This is just some motivation for everyone to get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEYuzD5RcE&feature=related

A post like that tempts me to pick up Melee.

In any case, I think the actual issue is how the UK treats videogames period, there are far fewer who'll treat a game with the same competitive mindset as they would in other parts of Europe and US. Course this doesn't apply to FPS and such because those games are viewed in a completely different light and are seen over here as more "HARDCORE OMG LOLZ"

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
That second paragraph was there to state how obvious a statement it was.

I know some players have improved quickly over a short ammount of time, so hopefully others will be able to soon too.

I've noticed that some londoners host smashfests very regularly, yet I only see the same handful put their names down. Some people should be more adventurous with who they try to play.

That second place was at a French national, I'm talking about large european turnouts.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
That second paragraph was there to state how obvious a statement it was.

Shifting Shadows and Fortune Cookie (2 players from scotland) made it out of pools at GT2, their first every tournement. In terms of practice, they'd only really played each other and Tune regularly, with 1 visit to NW. They only played for roughly half a year and STILL did better than many players who have played for 1 year plus.

Tuna had never been to a real tournement, or played any top end american players. Yet he got 4th at GT2.

I've noticed that some londoners host smashfests very regularly, yet I only see the same handful put their names down. Some people should be more adventurous with who they try to play.

That second place was at a French national, I'm talking about large european turnouts.
You previously said our posts should be less about 'The UK sucks, improve' and more uplifting but its seems your posts are a bit more negative then ours about the whole subject lol...I know my posts was trying to prove to the community about the potential in it and it was an uplifiting post.....but yours....

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Yeah yeah I know I suck at motivating, but I'm not the one constantly telling people they need to improve. I will stop trying now though.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Because you can't learn anything from the present or the future.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Because you can't learn anything from the present.
Ah but that is incorrect. Surely learning and adapting on the fly is the key to vanquishing your foe?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You can learn from the present technically even though when you do learn from the present in a few moments it becomes the past, and I agree that the negativity is not needed.

This thread was only made for positive purposes and yes the negative needs to be highlighted for this but not concentrated on.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
I'm well aware about learning from the past.
OK then, Charles, Prof, VA and Edwin did it, and you can do it too!! :kirby:

I did say I was terrible at this motivation thing lol.

About learning from the present, that is from the events that have lead to it from the past, so its just the very immediate past rather than the present. Anyway enough sidetracking.
(Removes some negativity)

AmcD

Smash Ace
What exactly happened with NE?
I remember we had an event sorted with them but I quit when this happened.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Fuzzy tried to get the commmunity into NE forums, to make them our English forums in the same way other countries have their own forums. Around the same time Charles tried getting smash into SvB. The community didn't move, and people complain about the price and lack of housing for SvB so eventually smash was taken off the list.

Nothings happened since.

Kone

Smash Master
NE is over rated. It is completely centralised in london. I have been to non-london events ran by NE and they are poor. Indy ran UK melee events are better. VS fighting are currently advertising the largest Midlands fighting game tournament ever to take part there. I think there are 30 spots....lol

What they do better is they have the money to make it look better. I dont think the events are ran better, have as much hype, their community is tighter or the community banter/spirit we have is there. We just need to step up the professionalism of our tournaments. I do think SNY is a step in that direction for the UK. Charles has backed/pushed me to pay for a website for it. I think this is what is needed to show that we are committed to more.

In regards to the UK stepping up ability wise I have some issues with that. There is a gulf between the top 4 and then the rest? well, that is true in other countries and in other sports (tennis/ football etc). The top players normally stay there for quite sometime, some will fall and new players will rise. It will keep going like that. I can already see players doing that in the UK. What we need is for our top players to be as good as the rest of europes. But, I definetly think we are getting there and come SNY I reckon this will be proved right.

There is only really one european smash country that boasts more top players and has more players that are 'good' (id say alot of our top ten, outside of top 4, are above average in europe). This is holland. Why? it is a small country. They have regular tournaments. They are the oldest smash community in europe. They regularly attract european competition. Their best players are close friends and therefore player regularly (live in our around amsterdam). A lot of the 'middle' of their community that are 'good' have been playing aslong as me i.e. they retain players.

Personally, I think the UK is going in the right direction and gaining ground. The london monthlies help. I will soon be running west midland monthlies. SNY should boost the likelyhood of european interest in our tournaments and will be ran as a tournament series i.e. yearly. Scotland is stepping it up. There is a good core in the NW. What we need though is more tournament hosts and at least one large tournament every 3 months (like holland). You will seriously see a big change then (think back two years or so when we had that). Tournaments and the results motivate people to get better.

Hell, our top players trash talking does that. I like this thread for that. I know personally I really want to beat charles, prof and robby. I am not the only one :)

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
This is just some motivation for everyone to get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEYuzD5RcE&feature=related
now im motivated.

nah but seriously i gotta a couple questions for the people at the top.

in terms of improving while you guys were at the level half the community is at how did you go about trying to improve?? Like i understand gaining consistency in tech skill from practising alone, and reading up on match-ups and watching other better players play but its seems to me when you are unable to play with other players often, it limits how you can improve. How did you guys over come this, or were you able to play players often? how often were you guys able to play with players better than yourself?? Cos from what ive seen this is the best way to improve however this is very limited on the frequency this can happen depending on the area you live in.

Like tbh im serious on trying to step up recently were as before i didnt really care much, but im envious of how people such as OOC and The Tesco crew have managed lyk to have a good amount of players, all, whether they wanna admit it or not, wanna improve and get better. I mean look how Deathgazer and J3ly have shot up through the placings. I mean compare that to my crew, who have actually complained at me for taking it to seriously lol

How about other aspects of the game which come within a tournament setting. Like for me when playing outside of the tournament setting alot of players i recently have played have all given me encouraging feedback acknowledging my skill level is high enough to easily take me out of pools. However things like pressure, how do you learn to deal with that? The only way i can think to deal with this is by playing alot of money matches and tournament matches. However how often do we get to play tournament matches, and as for money matches im not in the right financial state to do alot, nor do i play often with people willing to MM unless it is at a monthly.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I improved when I was at your level by playing various people, there was a set standard in front of me at the time when I wasn't winning tournaments and I knew I had a goal to achieve. I ended up watching vids constantly of matches (out of amazement rather than to learn) between 2006-2008 and hosted those smashfests at my old house with like 20-30 people lol + the London Mini Tournaments.
Keep playing and look at your mistakes + the options to improve them. If you're unsure feel free to ask me/prof/va cause I'm sure we're willing to help.

The only thing I practised on my own was small things I wanted to put in my game, just to make sure I could do it physically or even learn my own way of something (like double shine, shine grab etc)

Another way I improved recently was did something in a match and tested/tried replicating it, this is how I learnt falcon.

TC says one of my best traits is picking the flaws of players, possibly true. If anyone wants a coach while they play a game against someone in tourney then cool :) (like how hugs did with mango)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Love you Ed baby :).
Great post.

The community has been moving up lately actually and despite no-one yet to breach the top 4 people overall they have moved up together with people like Tamoo, JJlinyard, J3ly, The new Scotland people, Southampton and many other stepping up.

And I admit I have been partially impatient with the communities improvement to get more top people in the UK but with understandable reasons.

Anyway I am commiting myself to help people improve on a whole and I hope through this we can create a more professional attitude throughout the community and obviously as Kone said I think SNY1 is a great start for this.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
now im motivated.

nah but seriously i gotta a couple questions for the people at the top.

in terms of improving while you guys were at the level half the community is at how did you go about trying to improve?? Like i understand gaining consistency in tech skill from practising alone, and reading up on match-ups and watching other better players play but its seems to me when you are unable to play with other players often, it limits how you can improve. How did you guys over come this, or were you able to play players often? how often were you guys able to play with players better than yourself?? Cos from what ive seen this is the best way to improve however this is very limited on the frequency this can happen depending on the area you live in.

You already mentioned the KEY things which you need to become better, watching you're matches afterwards as well is prob one of the biggest methods to improve your game because you just see all your bad habits, mistakes and where you lack in consistency.
But yeah sadly you are limited to the area you live but this the limitation is just a hurdle which can be jumped over if you pushed hard enough.
I got better when I had this season when I just played A RIDICULOUS amount with other people, like nearly every other day with people who were better then me or on the same level as me, that's how I got better because I was just pushed and improved massively without me realizing it too much.
But you are not toooo limit but area, you live in London and you could always come down to Alpha Dash's for £2 :)

Like tbh im serious on trying to step up recently were as before i didnt really care much, but im envious of how people such as OOC and The Tesco crew have managed lyk to have a good amount of players, all, whether they wanna admit it or not, wanna improve and get better. I mean look how Deathgazer and J3ly have shot up through the placings. I mean compare that to my crew, who have actually complained at me for taking it to seriously lol

Yeah I do hear what you are saying, OOC stepped partially because of me and partially because they play consistenly.
Seriously you should try to head down to Alpha Dash's more but GET THE £2 CHILD TRAVELCARD thingy lol cos I will be there quite alot and I will always be willing to help and stuff and you're already good so helping you out wouldn't even be a big task.

How about other aspects of the game which come within a tournament setting. Like for me when playing outside of the tournament setting alot of players i recently have played have all given me encouraging feedback acknowledging my skill level is high enough to easily take me out of pools. However things like pressure, how do you learn to deal with that? The only way i can think to deal with this is by playing alot of money matches and tournament matches. However how often do we get to play tournament matches, and as for money matches im not in the right financial state to do alot, nor do i play often with people willing to MM unless it is at a monthly.

I get my crew used to pressure by playing deadly serious sets which doesn't involve any money but is played just like it is in tournament with counterpicking, banning, stage striking, everything.
And you still partially feel pressured because obviously you feel the intensity despite it not resulting in anything but you got to get used to that intensity.
That IMO is the best way to get used to the pressure, other then that, experience in tournaments is obviously key but that comes with time.
Answers in post

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Love you Ed baby :).
Great post.

The community has been moving up lately actually and despite no-one yet to breach the top 4 people overall they have moved up together with people like Tamoo, JJlinyard, J3ly, The new Scotland people, Southampton and many other stepping up.

And I admit I have been partially impatient with the communities improvement to get more top people in the UK but with understandable reasons.

Anyway I am commiting myself to help people improve on a whole and I hope through this we can create a more professional attitude throughout the community and obviously as Kone said I think SNY1 is a great start for this.
However I think this needs to worked at a deeper level than just spamming "UK sucks, step it up" over the forums

too true Andy

Anyway I dont know why Charles is talking about people like me like I'm not making an effort to improve cos that is complete and utter bull****. Believe me there is nothing I want to do more in tournaments now than to beat the top players. I've improved my placings but to improve even further I need to bring my game up to that level. Your talking as if I can't be bothered you're assuming that I jsut shrug my shoulders when I lose to people like you and prof as if that was always supposed to happen and theres nothing I can do about it. I still am and have always been commited to imprvong at smash so don't tell me this bull****

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
lol I knew Ben would post something angry, even though nothing was really directed at him.

Anyway, I'm still planning on stepping up, my exams are all over by the end of May and I'm hanging around down south for a while after that, so I'll try and make an effort to come up to London to play you guys to get pointers in June. Bring on the Summer?

Kone

Smash Master
More tournament hosts = more tournaments = more competition = people improve.

Who hosts now? charles + ??? Ben is over with it (I believe) and I will start to step it up. If the UK wants to get better they need more tournament hosts. Ive banged on about this for years whenever this crops up. You need 4 (at least) regular tournament hosts. This way they are regular and spread across a large geographic area. Therefore everyone makes a tournament often, have tournaments near and far away (therefore likely to make the larger trip when it occurs) AND the host puts more effort into their tournament. This is something people forget about. Hosts need competition to improve their own tournament standard.

When we had me, aiko n co, caleb n co, carlton and charles with GT running tourney we were onto a winner. More people need to host!

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice guys.

@Prof - yeah cool ima try and come and play you guys more, just let me know when u lot are playing. Lame atm i gotta stop with this smash stuff for a while and get sorted for exams!
SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I TOOK A LEVEL PHYSICS!!! :)

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
to be honest, im not that bothered about being the best, I just want crazy tech skills :) and when i do get crazy tech skills, ill try to aim higher by having even crazier tech skills lol

@JJL For pressure . Do you mean in game pressure or pressure because its an important game?

Also, there is a reason why Tescos crew improve,

:)

Retroking2000

Smash Master
First time seeing this haha

i have to admit the title of the thread kinda threw me off :laugh: i think kone is right though only if there was more events it would give smashers a better reason to pratice hard.

i remember when me chris terrance and charles ( different one lol) went to the london mini tournaments are first ever competitive event we got smashed so hard thinking we would destroy the competition i remember me losing to elnino epic fail man, a week later all us played 3 times a week from 12-9 or 4.9 whatever time we had free for long hours for about a year constantly playing marth dittos which is really funny so we just jumped far in a year i dont know why we was so motivated but it had alot to do with that 1st tournament so i agree 100% with kone

uk is the lowest of european standard of play , i was talking to remen and he admitting that are attitudes are just not in it which is true to some extent. i dont know about you guys but its like a tournament with top 3 all the time , i went around playing so much ppl at smashgt2 thinking man these players would be good only if they explored there game more.

we not going to be playing smash forever do you think you should owe it yourself to make the most of now

and lol i kept saying owe it to yourself to prof and he is playing seriously again

just lol

J03

Smash Master
Pro and Fuzzy: good idea =)

Ed: Props =D

If there are no events then to get better you play charles, if charles is not availale you play Pro, if theyre not available you play edwin, chrisboi or frosty.

If all them guys arent available the call robby, mike, jam or craig and play them.

^tada?

to get better, play better people. and instead of trying to impress them or worry about losing badly, just try to learn as much as poss. (ask charles how many times hes destroyed me in friendlies) I litterally approach the game like this 'im getting hit by a nair' ill DI this way, ive been hit with another nait, ill DI that way, i can get out now.

basically everytime i get hit im wondering where i should DI to not get hit again. SO many scrubs fall for the worst of combos and stuff like that its ridiculous. also if you hit the deck near the edge you can just roll to the edge and autograb it, its ridiculous.

Top Bottom