• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tunes Official Crew Thread - Legit the best crew in the world.

JFox

Smash Hero
Triad, whats your deal man...you keep shyin away from telling people what your plan is.

Edit: right now it looks like:

Cheezit, JFox, Bass, Treble, Eggm, Marcus

Maybe's:

Tec0, Triad, Reik, Moo, Jota

Edit2: I already requested off work...w00t

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Triad, whats your deal man...you keep shyin away from telling people what your plan is.

Edit: right now it looks like:

Cheezit, JFox, Bass, Treble, Eggm, Marcus

Maybe's:

Tec0, Triad, Reik, Moo, Jota

Edit2: I already requested off work...w00t
Is this the list for Viva la Smashtaclysm?

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Are you planning on going with TSA, teh_spamerer?
I'm probably not going to go because I don't like the stage counterpicking rules. DK64, Rainbow Cruise, and 2 other stages out of all the non neutrals will be counterpickable and one of those can be banned. And even if Poke Floats is one of the 4(which it probably won't be because it's in last place right now and the poll closes in 3 days) I'm not gonna go on principle of all other non neutrals being banned.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
I guess you could, but I'm not even sure how we're getting there. We haven't made travel arrangements.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yeah, um I have no idea how we are going yet, its also possible the Tunes will have 10 + of its members going, so we'll let you know.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
10+ tunes and half of them are falcos :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i remember me and Tim were talking about the crew lineup and its sooooo hilarious lol >_>

too good :lick:

im def making it to this one btw if i can fit of course :) i have like no excuse for missing it

JFox

Smash Hero
teh_spamerer, you are still a THP player at heart. Just cuz you can't gay out your opponent with stage counterpicks, you choose to not go to a large scale tourney.

You should rely more on your skill, and be confident that you will win with that.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
teh_spamerer, you are still a THP player at heart. Just cuz you can't gay out your opponent with stage counterpicks, you choose to not go to a large scale tourney.

You should rely more on your skill, and be confident that you will win with that.
It isn't about gaying opponents on stage counterpicks, it's about having fun. That's why I went Link vs Bass, I thought it would be fun. I just happen to have more fun fighting Marth on Corneria than I do on FD. ;)

Besides, if they're a better player than me than they should be able to beat me on any of the stages including the non neutrals. And if they're a better player than me they'll win the first match on a neutral and obviously will be able to counterpick a neutral stage even if they lose to me so they should still beat me in a set.

Proof that my logic is correct: I lost to PC Chris on both Fountain of Dreams and Poke Floats.

Lord Knight beat me on Battlefield and Onett.

Cactuar beat me on DL64 and Corneria.

I lost to Wes 2/3 times on Poke Floats.

Mew2King and PC beat me and Inui on Poke Floats.

JFox

Smash Hero
Your "proof" is pretty shabby. Those are mere examples, and poor ones at that.

Most of those examples are people that are significantly better than you are. However, if the skill difference is marginal, your opponent may not be able to beat you on a stage that gives you enough advantage that it overcomes the skill gap.

Now I agree that counterpicking stages is a part of the tournament world, but a tournament has every right to limit those counter picks to there choice. No where does it say that all tournaments must use any stages. Now its true that MOST tournaments tend to go by MLG stage counterpicks, but some tounaments feel that they don't care so much for MLG ruleset, and alteration of said rules is always at the discretion of those hosting a tournament.

By not coming to a tournament simply for this reason, you are not hurting anyone but yourself. Do you think with the huge turnout that Smashtaclysm will receive, they will take into consideration the opinion of a mediocre smasher? Unless you are someone with a name, or your opinion is backed by a large part of the community, your sacrifice will just be forgotten.

And really....is it that big a deal? They are just stages, and you can still do some counterpicks. And you can still pick whatever fun characters you want. So....just go lol.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Your "proof" is pretty shabby. Those are mere examples, and poor ones at that.
Yet you don't have any proof at all, which makes my argument better by default.

Most of those examples are people that are significantly better than you are. However, if the skill difference is marginal, your opponent may not be able to beat you on a stage that gives you enough advantage that it overcomes the skill gap.
If they're marginally better than me, they should win the first match which will be on a neutral and then they can counterpick a gay stage that gives their character an advantage or a neutral stage where they can win since they're better than me anyways. Regardless of which of those two they choose, they will win because they're better. So what is the purpose then of banning non neutrals?

Now I agree that counterpicking stages is a part of the tournament world, but a tournament has every right to limit those counter picks to there choice. No where does it say that all tournaments must use any stages. Now its true that MOST tournaments tend to go by MLG stage counterpicks, but some tounaments feel that they don't care so much for MLG ruleset, and alteration of said rules is always at the discretion of those hosting a tournament.

By not coming to a tournament simply for this reason, you are not hurting anyone but yourself. Do you think with the huge turnout that Smashtaclysm will receive, they will take into consideration the opinion of a mediocre terrible smasher? Unless you are someone with a name, or your opinion is backed by a large part of the community, your sacrifice will just be forgotten.
Actually, I would save a lot of money by not going because I'd have to pay for housing, entry fees, gas money, and food. So really, I'm saving a lot of money.

And really....is it that big a deal? They are just stages, and you can still do some counterpicks. And you can still pick whatever fun characters you want. So....just go lol.
It really has nothing to do with how well I'd place. I think it's ******** to only have neutrals + 4 stages and only one of those 4 stages can be banned with no resets. Some of the neutrals make HUGE differences for characters, why does it matter if counterpick stages do as well?

Consider Pokemon Stadium: Fox has the advantage in ALL of his matchups on Pokemon Stadium except MAYBE vs Falco who also does incredibly well on the stage. You can camp the stage hardcore, you have wall infinites, you can't be chaingrabbed as easily, and it has a low ceiling.

Consider Fountain of Dreams: Now while Stadium might give 2 characters advantages, FoD changes roughly 134988437598 matchups. The moving platforms have a very large impact on pretty much every character.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
You have to direct that at Tim. I think you're refering to the tournament in Maryland this weekend? If so, I'm sure as of today I can't go to it because I had promised someone I had to go to their birthday party in some club in NY. Tim is still going and needs to split gas and stuff, so you should hit him up. I'm sure he'd give you a ride.

As for cat, or whatever it is, you would still have to ask Tim about the traveling arrangements even though I don't think he knows at this point.

Eggm

Smash Hero
My car is full for c3, unless a crew member wants to go. Also, for cat 3, I'm thinking triads van + an additional car either mine or Kevin's if there ends up being that many Tunes going, in the event we take two cars and the second isn't full then maybe we can invite you slik vick.
And Obviously crew gets priority.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
on the stage argument.... you try winning against a space animal on pokefloats with ice climber then come back to me and say its not gay :)

JFox

Smash Hero
Thats really bad logic. I can give plenty of stupid examples of how counterpick stages have changed the outcome of events. Here's one that is equally as dumb as your are: I lost to Xeorouge once in a tournament about 4 months ago. I pretty much always win in our friendlies, which are all played on neutral stages. I lost the first match cuz I played very poorly on FD. Than I counterpicked Yoshi's Story and 3 stocked him(and happened to be playing fantastically that match). Than he counterpicked Brinstar and two stocked me. I can't even explain to you how much Brinstar screwed me that match. I was lava combo'd 70+ percent, he was saved by lava, the lava was screwing up my combos, etc etc.

There is an example of a counterpick stage causing the less skilled (sorry) player to win.

If they're marginally better than me, they should win the first match which will be on a neutral and then they can counterpick a gay stage that gives their character an advantage or a neutral stage where they can win since they're better than me anyways. Regardless of which of those two they choose, they will win because they're better. So what is the purpose then of banning non neutrals?
Neutral stages are called neutral because TYPICALLY they give very little advantage to any character. I don't think there is a single neutral stage that gives a strong advantage to any character. They typically give only slight or no advantage to characters, and that is why they are called neutral.

And yes, the better player should win the first match, but that isn't always the case. That is why there is such thing as best two out of three, because sometimes you just get unlucky or screw up the first match. (See example above) That is always why they created a losers bracket.

Actually, I would save a lot of money by not going because I'd have to pay for housing, entry fees, gas money, and food. So really, I'm saving a lot of money.[/QUOTE]

So than you aren't going because you don't want to spend money. It isn't because of the stages.

It really has nothing to do with how well I'd place. I think it's ******** to only have neutrals + 4 stages and only one of those 4 stages can be banned with no resets. Some of the neutrals make HUGE differences for characters, why does it matter if counterpick stages do as well?

Consider Pokemon Stadium: Fox has the advantage in ALL of his matchups on Pokemon Stadium except MAYBE vs Falco who also does incredibly well on the stage. You can camp the stage hardcore, you have wall infinites, you can't be chaingrabbed as easily, and it has a low ceiling.

Consider Fountain of Dreams: Now while Stadium might give 2 characters advantages, FoD changes roughly 134988437598 matchups. The moving platforms have a very large impact on pretty much every character.
Fox has a small advantage/no advantage on Pokemon Stadium in every match. That is true to most neutrals...

Fountain of Dreams is probably the least neutral stage, but only for certain matchups. And the characters that have a problem with it just ban it. Its far better than the non-neutrals that tip the scale in many matchups.

Anyway, I just thought I would respond to some of these. I think I sorta argued just for the sake of arguing in this post, sorry. There's no need to defend your reasoning, I just like arguing.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
So than you aren't going because you don't want to spend money. It isn't because of the stages.
Nope, that's just an added benefit.

And yes, the better player should win the first match, but that isn't always the case. That is why there is such thing as best two out of three, because sometimes you just get unlucky or screw up the first match. (See example above) That is always why they created a losers bracket.
I think you meant also, not always :laugh:

Well if you're playing bad, you deserve to lose. You can always pick the same character as your opponent on a non neutral stage and the match is then even as the stage is the same for both players and the character is the same.

Fountain of Dreams is probably the least neutral stage, but only for certain matchups. And the characters that have a problem with it just ban it. Its far better than the non-neutrals that tip the scale in many matchups.
Except the lovely ruleset states that only one of the 4 non neutrals is banable.

There's no need to defend your reasoning, I just like arguing.
I like arguing too :laugh:

Really, I don't care about how I place unless I'm in money placing positions or if I lose to scrubs because I'm messing up wavedashes. So even IF non neutral stages would make me place higher, I'm still not going to win money because amazing players will be there.

Top Bottom