• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Triforce of Knowledge" Ganon's Match-Up Guide: Character Review, Kirby.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ganon has to get to the items first. ZSS can get rid of all but one item before Ganon can get to her on most stages, and she'll mostly be using them defensively until she can get Ganon in the air, to boot, so he'll have a lot of those things to think about. The item game is in ZSS's favor, because she's more maneuverable, and has more options for dodging and dealing with the items than Ganon. Not to mention, suit pieces eat bad recoveries for breakfast, and Ganon has one of the worst in the game. ZSS has a lot of tools for recovering, even against suit pieces. Glide toss isn't even really that great with suit pieces anyway. At least, it's not as good as with bananas or turnips, which present better openings for follow-ups with a glide toss. Armor parts have too much knockback to follow up with. Ganon may be able to do some nasty things with armor parts, but I guarantee you ZSS can do nastier things, and she has better access to them.

I love how whenever items come up, everyone is like, "x has the best glidetoss, therefore they are better with items." And it's not just here. Just about everyone uses this flawed logic in the Diddy match-up discussions, and even ZSS mains seem to think ZSS's glide toss makes her item game strong. It can help, don't get me wrong, but item game is about so much more than glide tossing. It's about maneuverability, it's about getting the items in the first place. It's about having a reliable way of getting or eliminating one item without getting hit by the next. I'll tell you this. Most characters do not have what it takes to deal with items. Neither ZSS nor Ganon do, for sure. ZSS is just better with them than Ganon, because she is more maneuverable, has moves that are designed to interact in special ways with items and she has a recovery that isn't completely nullified by items. Other than that, they both have the same weaknesses to items, and the same strengths.

The hardest part about this match-up for ZSS is willing herself to stay grounded. If ZSS is too aggressive in her follow-ups, she's likely to eat an aerial. Honestly, once Ganon is in the air, bait and punish is much more effective. As in, he really gets routed if he's airborne against ZSS, who is faster than him both in the air and on the ground.

Getting him in the air can be tough, but ZSS is helped by the fact that her aerials outrange his ground game, but not necessarily his air game. Once he goes airborne, she has a lot of stuff to keep him there, but she has got to stay safe, and not let the tables get turned, because it doesn't take many hits for ZSS to be a bloody pulp flying towards a kill zone.

It's very clearly in ZSS's favor here, but because ZSS is such an offense based character, and Ganon is good at punishing over-aggressive play, ZSS's usual rushdown tactics aren't as effective, and she has to play reserved, which gives Ganon more opportunities to muscle into an advantageous position. She can kind of camp him, but really she can't do it much more than she can camp anyone else. This match-up is mostly about whose patience lets up first.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Hehe ganon shouldn't throw the items away if he actually gets them in hand he should use them his item game is meh, but the fact that ganon gets mobility turns that meh into HOLY ****, plus it gives him a somewhat safe setups, but ganon should never have a chance to grab the items, that doesn't involve a b-air to the face at the same time.

But yeah ZSS players don't go into this match with lololol its ganon I can win, because thats p. much how I beat people with ganon. Too bad against some characters it doesn't matter even if they are overconfident, falco....IC....Sheik....oli....DDD. If you treat ganon seriously or actually p. much like you are fighting an MK you should win.

... you've obviously never played a Ganon that knows his **** :]
I know my item game, and I know ganons item game trust me. ZSS item game > ganon, sure he has some slick setups, but if you are just expecting ZSS too toss the items at you like an idiot you are wrong, for ZSS items are boost panels, boost panels that can form walls to punish rolls(which ganon shouldn't really be doing anyways), but trust me we get you off the edge, item drop item drop, stock.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
The Zamus mains are right, ZSS has a much more fluent way to use items than Ganon. There really isn't much of a question.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty convinced that a match vs the best Ganondorf and the best ZSS will be very entertaining if it does happen. Just judging from how most of ZSS's safe options are easy to defend against on reaction, that's something that Ganondorf should be looking forward to.

I'm not saying this is a good or easy matchup. I'm just saying that it's a matchup that probably doesn't shut him down the same way others do.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I dont' really agree with ph00t that ZS can't handle items, I think she is one of the best, if not the best item handler. Tell me what makes Diddy better for handling items? Pretty much a good grab that works really well with nanners.

I think her speed is a huge asset with items, and the suit pieces in particular are great for making some of her semi safe moves totally safe.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't quite understand the link you gave. It goes to a post asking how big the buffering window is.....
No, it doesn't.
It goes to a thread about Ganon having Dthrow CG's from 0% to over 50%,
which is wrong.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I dont' really agree with ph00t that ZS can't handle items, I think she is one of the best, if not the best item handler. Tell me what makes Diddy better for handling items? Pretty much a good grab that works really well with nanners.

I think her speed is a huge asset with items, and the suit pieces in particular are great for making some of her semi safe moves totally safe.
You're thinking about offensive options, and most characters don't have any more offensive options when it comes to items than anyone else. I'm talking about defensive options. ZSS has few stellar defensive options against items. She doesn't fare much better than her average opponent when the tables are turned. I'd say she has more than Ganon, but overall, her item game is average, at best.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Yeah, so, earlier, when I said I'd get the data, I meant I would load up Brawl and confirm timing and range on wake-up and such.

But I didn't get time, and won't for a while.

So.... I'm thinking of starting a thread for us to collect that frame data, like, officially. Because, as the title is going to reflect, we are the only character board that is ever going to care about that data. It has fallen to us to get it up.

Then we can lord over the other char boards for finishing up their frame data. :rolleyes:
You know. In addition to the manliness.

Good discussion. We should save ph00tbag's posts, they've got some concise insights.

:034:

noradseven

Smash Lord
You're thinking about offensive options, and most characters don't have any more offensive options when it comes to items than anyone else. I'm talking about defensive options. ZSS has few stellar defensive options against items. She doesn't fare much better than her average opponent when the tables are turned. I'd say she has more than Ganon, but overall, her item game is average, at best.
Her offensive item game is near the top while her defensive item game isn't very good, with ZSS you shouldn't let them ever grab the items, I don't think you have seen my ZSS's new item game, I think I just started fidding with it when we last saw each other.

But seriously just play on the mario lv 1 million times and you will get good at item manipulation, in fact over B can stopped tossed items in their tracks if spaced right, well so can alot of attacks, and if you can't jab/dodge grab items by now you should really learn it, because alot of people do know how to toss items back.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Okay, we're sticking with the 30:70 - 25:75 range.

We're jumping all the way down to Falcon, I really wanted to re-discuss this match-up for a while now.

Roager

Smash Ace
I think I honestly agree with it being even Ganon v Falcon, since they both have very limited options, and are basically forced to exploit the advantages they have over each other. Falcon's faster, ovbiously, but Ganon has much more power, and IIRC, better hitboxes. So basically, Ganon's doing everything he can to minimize every vulnerability, and Falcon's trying to bait every vulnerability. I don't think there's really any clear way to judge which side has an advantage. I'm calling it even, unless new Falcon or Ganon tactics have arisen that would change that.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Falcon's speed shines the most in this matchup, since he can nickle and dime Ganon for mistakes. Falcon is one of the few characters that can almost always hit Ganon out of his UpB, which means bad times ahead for a vertical recover. Ganon would be forced to UpB again, and grab Falcon, and the process would repeat, until Falcon messes up, or Ganon gets edgehogged from being pushed out too far by Uair, and not being able to reach Falcon in time.

SH Uair and Jabs will be abused in order to rack up some damage. Not to mention grabs from canceled jabs. Although Ganon's Murder Choke outmatches the priority of a good number of Falcon's moves.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ganon outranges Falcon, he outpriorizes him, has far more KO-moves... And he's manlier.

Yes, Ganon beats Falcon in so many ways.

However... Falcon has the speed, the grabrange, and those hella good jabs + jab Cancels.
And those are more important than Ganon's, in this match-up.

:ganondorf: 50 : 50 :falcon:

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Ganon outranges Falcon, he outpriorizes him, has far more KO-moves... And he's manlier.
*slaps Z1GMA with Falcon's right glove*

Blasphemy to the utmost.

Non-manly traits:
-Wears a cape
-Apparently doesn't have nipples that spike
-Dtaunt fails
-UpB gets wrecked
-Kidnaps women, but is punished by 14 year olds in tunics.
-Cannot speak words

Manly traits:
-Does not know what a cape is.
-Has nipples that spike
-Runs over things with a racer
-Can talk, while fighting
-Has a Knee of Justice
-Does not carry a sword, but would use it if he had it
-Dtaunt is global
-Dubs ones own techniques
-Doesn't wear armor
-Name ends in Falcon

Smash Hero
Falcon can really **** up your **** if you don't know how to play against him, if you do the match-up is probably about even. Maybe 55-45 Falcon's advantage, just because of the jab. It's really really good.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Any reasons as to why?
Here's one reason:

You can actually land utilt edgeguards.

Anyway, my note: Many (read: mediocre) Falcons don't like this matchup. They feel like it's just a little bit against them.
Still, if you just stand there, you can be beat around with really dumb strings.

I don't know of anything of ours in particular that works on him. He pushes us around a lot, and there's knee flub combos, and of course jab... we have Choke? From that analysis, you'd think it was slightly in his favour. Our defense game is that good in the matchup?

Oh, and in case anyone doesn't know: Falcon doesn't have a tipman box as low as Ganon.

Ambrosial Cherub said:
Non-manly traits:
-Kidnaps women, but is punished by 14 year olds in tunics.
-Cannot speak words
Hey, that 'kid' has mad haxx. Destined weapon of our bane, just because we're "Evil". :-\

Manly traits:
-Has nipples that spike
Tch. You can have nipples that spike. Our man's beard is made of lightning.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
*slaps Z1GMA with Falcon's right glove*

Blasphemy to the utmost.

Non-manly traits:
-Wears a cape Capes are manly. Watch LoTR.
-Apparently doesn't have nipples that spike Ganon's entire body spikes (including his nipples).
-Dtaunt fails Ye :(
-UpB gets wrecked He's so many that he gives most opponents a free hit. ;)
-Kidnaps women, but is punished by 14 year olds in tunics. Kiddnapping women is a more masculine action than kidnapping men; like on the Stone Age.
And beating kids wouldn't be manly at all.

-Cannot speak words The average woman speaks like 4 times as much as the average man.

Manly traits:
-Does not know what a cape is. He should. Sorta all-round education.
-Has nipples that spike Weaker than Ganon's, though.
-Runs over things with a racer Instead of stomping them flat?
-Can talk, while fighting Women are better at doing two things at the same time.
-Has a Knee of Justice Gotta hand it to him. That is one manly attack.
-Does not carry a sword, but would use it if he had it Both Ganon & Falcon are manly in that they fight using their fists.
-Dtaunt is global It sure is. And it's a little manly too, I guess.
-Dubs ones own techniques Not manly.
-Doesn't wear armor Ye, it's actually kinda manly.
-Name ends in Falcon Ganon's name ends in 'Dorf.
Let's call it even, huh, Sacr3d S3raph1m? :lick:

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Tch. You can have nipples that spike. Our man's beard is made of lightning.
Only because he grew it after being kneed in the chin in by our man.

EDIT: @Z1GMA: Okay, we're even. Good ones.

My only comeback is to the capes. They're not manly, and cause deaths. Refer to The Incredibles.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf has the slight advantage on Falcon.

55/45

The reason why I think this is because Ganondorf has a lot more reward on his moves, and he's able to do stuff that is actually kinda safe against Falcon. D-tilt and retreating Thunderstorm are good, and even more useful in this matchup due to the low priority of Falcon's approach. I think Falcon is tall enough to be SH B-aired too.

A good Falcon with good spacing can make life tough since Ganondorf is a big target.

Ganondorf is a LOT better at gimping Falcon with more powerful tools with which to edgeguard with. He has a small advantage in KOs mainly due to some extra power, and a few combos into Dash attack (Flame Choke too good).

My friend TonyGuacamole plays a good Captain Falcon, and we've had a lot of Ganon vs Falcon matches. He's scared of my Ganon lol.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf has the slight advantage on Falcon.

55/45

The reason why I think this is because Ganondorf has a lot more reward on his moves, and he's able to do stuff that is actually kinda safe against Falcon. D-tilt and retreating Thunderstorm are good, and even more useful in this matchup due to the low priority of Falcon's approach. I think Falcon is tall enough to be SH B-aired too.

A good Falcon with good spacing can make life tough since Ganondorf is a big target.

Ganondorf is a LOT better at gimping Falcon with more powerful tools with which to edgeguard with. He has a small advantage in KOs mainly due to some extra power, and a few combos into Dash attack (Flame Choke too good).

My friend TonyGuacamole plays a good Captain Falcon, and we've had a lot of Ganon vs Falcon matches. He's scared of my Ganon lol.
Falcon could force Ganon to do alot more than vice versa. How? Mainly because he's a much more versatile character.

and he's able to do stuff that is actually kinda safe against Falcon. D-tilt and retreating Thunderstorm are good, and even more useful in this matchup due to the low priority of Falcon's approach. I think Falcon is tall enough to be SH B-aired too.
What does Ganon have that's safe against Falcon? DTilt isn't safe on shield.

I would have to disagree. Falcon has his flubbed knee, which I find a better gimping tool than tipman, plus Ganon has a worse recovery so it shouldn't really be hard to get a flubbed knee in.

Falcon survives fresh stomps for a pretty long time, and we shouldn't be killing him till the 135%, that's also when he kills us.

I'd say this match-up is around 55-45 Falcon, maybe even 60-40.

Player-3

Smash Hero
ganon v falcon is in falcons favor 55-45 or 60-40 like ray kalm said

you think ganon can gimp falcon better?
naw both their recoverys are bad but at least falcon if he grabs the other guy doesnt get hit out of it

falcon just has to run in there and get hit by up b and uair you back offstage, or if you try to recover backwards he just grabs the ledge and waits

falcon also has a tipman uair (it ***** but i never see any falcons use it for gimping ever)

ganon can rack up damage but falcon is fast enough to run around and stuff, wait for ganon to use something and then punish

utilt ***** your sh bairs

if you dtilt our shield im pretty sure falcon can just sh nair oos and hit you with it, not 100% sure

as ray kalm said, flub knee ***** anything you try to recover with

it will smack you out of side b and up b, and then falcon can just follow up with a DJ uair to hit you away to where you cant recover

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
ganon v falcon is in falcons favor 55-45 or 60-40 like ray kalm said

you think ganon can gimp falcon better?
naw both their recoverys are bad but at least falcon if he grabs the other guy doesnt get hit out of it

falcon just has to run in there and get hit by up b and uair you back offstage, or if you try to recover backwards he just grabs the ledge and waits

falcon also has a tipman uair (it ***** but i never see any falcons use it for gimping ever)

ganon can rack up damage but falcon is fast enough to run around and stuff, wait for ganon to use something and then punish

utilt ***** your sh bairs

if you dtilt our shield im pretty sure falcon can just sh nair oos and hit you with it, not 100% sure

as ray kalm said, flub knee ***** anything you try to recover with

it will smack you out of side b and up b, and then falcon can just follow up with a DJ uair to hit you away to where you cant recover
This.

DTilt could just be dashed grabbed, or dash attacked OoS.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Any Ganondorf that knows how to save their double jump will NOT be gimped by Captain Falcon very easily.

falcon's tipman U-air is MUCH more situational. The hitbox is a lot smaller, and doesn't last as long nor does it hit nearly as low as Ganon's U-air.

Flub Knee is beaten by double jump U-air. The same strategy does not work as well for Captain Falcon, as his U-air is more prone to trading hits with Ganon's stuff.

retreating thunderstorm is pretty safe against Falcon. I'm pretty sure U-smash is also more useful in this matchup than others due to its disjoint actually helping to stop Falcon's approaches, and its lack of ending lag being always appreciated.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Any Ganondorf that knows how to save their double jump will NOT be gimped by Captain Falcon very easily.

falcon's tipman U-air is MUCH more situational. The hitbox is a lot smaller, and doesn't last as long nor does it hit nearly as low as Ganon's U-air.

Flub Knee is beaten by double jump U-air. The same strategy does not work as well for Captain Falcon, as his U-air is more prone to trading hits with Ganon's stuff.
Player 3 just said, Falcon's don't use their UAir to edge-guard, unless it's after a flub knee.

Flub knee is beaten by DJ UAir? Where are you getting these facts? I've always either been beaten by it (flub knee > UAir priority wise), or traded hits with it. Falcon could just DI himself up to protect getting stage rebounded, but Ganon will be sent flying off-stage unable to recover.

Player-3

Smash Hero
retreating thunderstorm is not safe

falcons hyphen smash will pew pew you in the nads

ganon will get gimped by falcon

falcons tipman is amazing, not as good as ganons no but its still great

Player-3

Smash Hero
hyphen smash

or nair

or uair

or RAR bair

or knee for that matter

ganons a very tall and handsome man

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly that requires prediction. Considering how unsafe Falcon's U-smash is.

Generally anything else Falcon does to approach usually trades or is beaten, or is blockable on reaction.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I totally forgot to mention.

Ganondorf's N-air when coming from above pretty much stops most of Falcon's edgeguard attempts.

And no seriously, the window to punish D-air with U-smash is pretty narrow and high risk.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I totally forgot to mention.

Ganondorf's N-air when coming from above pretty much stops most of Falcon's edgeguard attempts.
That will put Ganon in a much worse place to recover, and CF could just fake a edge-guard to DJ then grab the ledge.

Top Bottom