• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~The Triforce of Courage~~ An Advanced Guide to Link v1.2

M!keE

Smash Rookie
LOL IS NOT JUST THE BEST LINK GUIDE IS THE BEST GUIDE IN ALL SMASHBOARDS xD lol good job man!

pulse131

Smash Ace
finished reading again, i.e.--3rd time. keep learning sumthing new every darned time. gah this has gotta b the guide of the gods.

Kirsche

Smash Rookie
Just as a note, at a certain distance, Link's boomerang pushes the opponent backward without hurting them, which could help edge guarding strategies by pushing the enemy too far out of reach.

I dunno if that makes a difference, though.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah, the very end of the boomerang when it's going out. You probably won't get tons of situations like that unless the character you're facing has a horrible vertical recovery or is basically at the limit of where they can grab the ledge after using all their jumps/recovery.

I'll try it later and see if it helps any.

Gale guarding might be useful in a situation like that too though now that I think about it.

Ariel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Late-Edition
3DS FC
0946-2355-0177
Just a few things I've picked up with Link: (no particular order of relevance or usefulness)

* u-tilt can juggle the @$#! out of mostly everyone
* on the defensive; while pressuring an opponent away from a horizontal approach with a nice arrow spam, a nicely placed upward angle gale boomerang will prevent a jumpin approach from your opponent every now and then
* with an opponent hangin on the ledge, a SH into a d-air is surprisingly useful and effective, albeit risky
* a tumbling opponent can be capitalized on by a constant barrage of gale boomerangs (timed at the exact moment they get up)
* ganondorf sucks

pulse131

Smash Ace
Just a few things I've picked up with Link: (no particular order of relevance or usefulness)

* u-tilt can juggle the @$#! out of mostly everyone
* on the defensive; while pressuring an opponent away from a horizontal approach with a nice arrow spam, a nicely placed upward angle gale boomerang will prevent a jumpin approach from your opponent every now and then
* with an opponent hangin on the ledge, a SH into a d-air is surprisingly useful and effective, albeit risky
* a tumbling opponent can be capitalized on by a constant barrage of gale boomerangs (timed at the exact moment they get up)
* ganondorf sucks
1-utitl has semi decent juggling ability. usually its 1~3 into bair/nair at low percentages
2-gale upward on approaches in the air isnt all that threatening, even if it does hit its 4%
3-short hop dair or even full double jump fastfall in quiker situations works very well, and yes, risky
4-ganon is link's only good matchup, but barely. (imagine that)

so ya, work on link with a better recovery he is mid low not garbage. dont get gimped or cg'd and you'll kick ***.

Ariel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Late-Edition
3DS FC
0946-2355-0177
also, i know that i'm not as experienced as other link mainers but i've found that a well timed spin attack is a good punishment for excessive spot dodgers and spam rollers who feel the need to hug u coz they feel overconfident that they can easily outpace link (and to be fair, almost everyone can)

pulse131

Smash Ace
@ Ariel- agreed. but use grounded spin attack VERy sparingly. it surprising you r opponent only works so much. and if it hits there sheeld your in trouble.

Ariel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Late-Edition
3DS FC
0946-2355-0177
question: does anyone else find link's d-smash harder to pull off than expressed in the guide. or maybe its just my uncoordination and the fact that i play with a wiimote and nunchuk

Rizen

Smash Legend
question: does anyone else find link's d-smash harder to pull off than expressed in the guide. or maybe its just my uncoordination and the fact that i play with a wiimote and nunchuk
It's the nunchuk. Unless I'm charging to punish a shield-break I always 'C'down with a gamecube controller. Dsmash is one of Link's fastest attacks.

A less risky version of Dair is Nair>fast fall. It landing cancels into other moves and hits almost as far down as Dair and farther in front and behind Link. Nair starts on frame 6 and attacks for 21 frames. Utilt's a good follow up at low %s.

Ariel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Late-Edition
3DS FC
0946-2355-0177
right, thnx for the help guys, btw, does anyone on this board play over wifi, coz i need to refine my link, by playing better links. Or am i fishing in the wrong pond here?

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
O O
___

Well done sir. Well done indeed.

I found it quite useful, even for a Link veteran like me. I've got to disagree with how useful Zair is (I've never really been able to use it effectively), but other than that, excellent guide all around.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
O O
___

Well done sir. Well done indeed.

I found it quite useful, even for a Link veteran like me. I've got to disagree with how useful Zair is (I've never really been able to use it effectively), but other than that, excellent guide all around.
Wow, looks like we've found the problem already. Just because you're unable to use it effectively doesn't undermine its usefulness. Keep in mind that you need to be able to support your stances with some examples instead of just "I can't use it well".

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Word.

If you have trouble with it, it's most likely because you're not doing it fast enough or not shorthopping.
Or you just don't realize the shenanigans you can pull off with it on the the edge.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Word.

If you have trouble with it, it's most likely because you're not doing it fast enough or not shorthopping.
Or you just don't realize the shenanigans you can pull off with it on the the edge.
Oh, I've been working on it recently, and I gotta say, yes, when it works, it WORKS!

kthnxbai.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
great guide! so much dedication... i think link is most useful
against snake. he may have a 45:55 which is a disadvantage,
but its a very good suprise as link is tier 36 (basically, link is
a very good counter to those annoying snake siders you
hear about in tournaments).

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
This Link guide is beastly! It's helped me a whole lot in my battles and there is still more I need to incorporate from it in my brawls. There are a lot of things I don't do with Link that I never realized after reading this. I just got to get more confidence and apply some of these techs that are more tricky/risky; but not get over crazy about them. It seems to me that Link is a character about acting the right move at the right time and being patient about it. With an excellent spot dodge and nice projectiles being patient and not overanxious will make a talented smasher an awsome Link player. I wonder how long it takes to master or at least become a beast at incorporating all these techs.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
The huge number of techniques is one of the cool things about Link. Most characters it seems like you kind of play a bit, figure them out, then kinda refine them a little, but in general you don't get significantly better with them and you start plateauing. With Link there's always a new technique you can learn that makes him so much better. I feel like my Link is pretty good, but there are still tons of things I don't do that would make him so much better, like jablocking, bomb>footstool>dair, using aerials while holding bombs, and so forth. If I master those, there will no doubt be another technique I could learn to make him better. I've been playing him for about 4-5 months I think, and I still feel like there's so much more I could do with him.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The huge number of techniques is one of the cool things about Link. Most characters it seems like you kind of play a bit, figure them out, then kinda refine them a little, but in general you don't get significantly better with them and you start plateauing. With Link there's always a new technique you can learn that makes him so much better. I feel like my Link is pretty good, but there are still tons of things I don't do that would make him so much better, like jablocking, bomb>footstool>dair, using aerials while holding bombs, and so forth. If I master those, there will no doubt be another technique I could learn to make him better. I've been playing him for about 4-5 months I think, and I still feel like there's so much more I could do with him.
For this reason I switched over to Link as I've mentioned in previous posts in the last week or two. I don't like being predictable and Link is someone who can mix his game up to avoid that problem. This doesn't mean that Link doesn't have any problems because we all know his recovery isn't great. Knowing this weakness I attempt to watch out for moves/attacks of my opponents that could send me off the edge more than anything. If Link can avoid getting launched and/or chaingrabbed (which is another horrible weakness) he can become a dangerous foe to battle given the fact he can use his projectiles and awsome disjointed hitboxes. Link's game is all about thinking in the aspects of not getting launched, getting damage on opponents, waiting for the right time for a KO, and watching for opponents mistakes.

I mained Yoshi for a good year and felt I was doing the same things over and over again and could never really adapt my game because for nearly all his moves besides the egg toss you have to get in close wheter it be a jab/special/tilt or smash attack. I kept getting sheild grabbed by characters and out prioritized by Metaknight all the time and it got old fast. I knew my improvement with Yoshi was maxed out. I don't want to say Yoshi is a horrible character, but with my mindset and perception of how to play Smash I just don't feel I can get better with Yoshi anymore. My Link is about as good or perhaps even better than my Yoshi now after just a few weeks. I still lose matches but I feel I can do something about it. I just have to learn more about Link and this guide has been a tremendous help along with the video critique thread.

RMZ

Smash Cadet
This thread has given me renewed hope. Mained him from the beginning and then BAM brawl comes along and he felt almost unusable. Now this thread just gave me a whole new bag of tricks. Watch out world here I come!

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
The thread really helped me with learning how to edgehog. I never knew that z-air could grab the ledge like that. Thanks!

I'm having a bit of trouble using the phantom boomerang (playing Brawl+). I don't think I'll be using it too much but it would be a nice technique to have for mindgames and stuff (also my friends like putting on items sometimes and it would be nice to sweep all of the items off =P ).

Fameous

Smash Rookie
I'm just starting to main Link and found this guide amazingly useful. I learned too many things for my mind to handle at the moment. Heh heh.

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
man these info is helping me alot..... especially when i play matches with higher tier opponents..... I hope i can become as good as the people that is a pro with Link.... u guys give me hope. Thank You

Top Bottom