• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
it is if other characters aren't placing that high. granted imo if pikachu and ICs weren't so harsh on him falco would be number 1 on an MK banned tier list. but i still feel like against those non pika/ic characters, falco is the best. honestly if you think about it the new tier list could easily be something like

IC assume 9b level play
diddy assume gnes/adhd level play
falco duh
snake/marth razer/ally/mikehaze/mr.R level
marth/snake see above
wario gluttony and malcom level
olimar dabuz level
etc. trela, espy, tkd, kain, koolaid, illmatic, esam, nickriddle, will, the rob mains. they'll still do their stuff but the order of the characters don't matter enough to me to list them right

Tesh

Smash Hero
Infern lost to nicole...

Granted he was playing badly first game and never quite recovered but at the same time he got like top 4th placing at the tourny which I"m sure is more than most can say they've done with snake. So obviously he's not a player to be slept on. Perhaps not the highest level snake but still a high level player.

The matchup isn't in Snake's favor as much as people think though. It just seems that way on paper. But peach absolutely destroys snake once he's in the air and she can really shut down Snake's tilts when she properly spaces them. His only reliable answer to her air approaches is utilt but then it becomes too stale when you need it to kill. Not to mention shield pressure is even worse for snake than most as he spends so much time on the ground (if played properly) and to drop grenades. He needs his shield more than most.
He got 3rd at that tourney, but he isn't considered a top Snake while Nicole is considered a top Peach. No region bias, but I think I know where you could find better Snake vs Peach matches...

Uptilt will never be stale enough to kill as badly as Peach. It would be foolish to "save" it when its a good answer to Peach's approaches.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If John numbers has still been collecting tournament data, you can check his stats, but as far as I know snake is still a solid number 2 in just about every stat related to income and tournament winnings.

Also, in all fairness. Ike performs like 2 tiers higher than his current placement. ike is a crapton better than most people give him credit for. so its not really fair to say, ______ isnt that good of a character because so-and-so lost to ike. EVERYONE has lost to ike at some point pretty much.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i did beat infern but i DONT beat other snakes like everrrrr. infern does place pretty consistently well in the mw tho, so nobody knock him.

matchup is gay as fk

god kais!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
The matchup is hard, but it isn't impossible.

Metaknight is impossible.

zmx

Smash Lord
I rarely get caught off guard these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7161d1oq9AU&feature=feedu

but this had me going 'wow, he can do that?' at multiple times in the vid.

i know its not going up in the OP but people def. need to watch this.
Which bit made you go "wow, he can do that?".

Because it should be obvious all of that is theoretically possible if you actually know about Lucas's ATs. I'm guessing 95% of the people that watched the video didn't.

I mean it's not exactly hard to go over your replays and show only the best bits. Any average player can do that and come out looking like a pro. Especially against unranked players. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for flashy play. I'm just not sure I'd call it an impressive video. Entertaining? Yes. But it'll be impressive when he can do that in tourny matches against high level players and win.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I wouldn't say that was top level play, but in all honesty how do you deal with that downB edgeguard? Isn't the disjoint on that thing pretty good? Everything else was Lucas being Lucas, but that bit really looked like a pretty legit application to me.

:059:

zmx

Smash Lord
Are you referring to the magnet pull that killed Samus at the edge of the screen? I suppose Samus could've zaired had he known it was coming. Lucas would've been left in a terrible spot as well. But all that was only possible in the first place because Samus didn't DI up initially.

It admittedly looked pretty awesome though.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, those, except he pulled it off on a bunch of different characters. I mean, as Wolf, I can't really blaster because of the magnet, nor the blade or fair/bair unless I want to rely on him misspacing (assuming I'm not overestimating the range of that move). Shine gets outspaced, and if I airdodge I plummet like a rock. Like, really, my best option is to probably save my double jump and jump over him lol, idk. And even if the Samus did DI up, zap jump > magnet pull can get Lucas pretty high up there :x

zmx

Smash Lord
Still think if he DIed up he wouldn't have gotten there in time. Plus once you DI up you have so much more time and options. Either way Zair probably would have saved him

But you do have a point there. That might be a solid edge guarding technique on certain characters (though if they DI up, I'm not sure). Hurray for a combo video advancing the metagame!

Edit: We really need a new thread. This one isn't updated anymore so a lot of good videos getting posted are lost.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
True enough. But yeah lol, it really does look like something that might be pretty useful if you catch your opponent with mediocre DI, which really does happen a lot :p

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I wouldn't say that was top level play, but in all honesty how do you deal with that downB edgeguard? Isn't the disjoint on that thing pretty good? Everything else was Lucas being Lucas, but that bit really looked like a pretty legit application to me.

the disjoint is actually pretty small.

this makes me sad.

looks hella legit against bad characters though, since you'd force them to aerial/airdodge offstage.

but as was stated before, it would only possible if they di poorly.

zmx

Smash Lord
I died watching this

2 dsmash > thunder kills, a suicide, and a ridiculous bthrow > fair > thunder kill
This. Pika's downsmash isn't even hard to SDI out of. Just hit the c-stick up 2-3 times quickly. And even if you didn't react to SDI it in time you can STILL just DI left or right.

Why is it 90% of videos posted to be nominated now aren't good videos overall at all but just videos where player A dominates player B soley because player B had no idea what he was doing?

I mean does anybody actually look at videos like that and assume just from the video that the pika player was just incredible? Isn't obvious half of that was only possible because the other player was playing horribly?

But then again, judging from the comments from the recently posted on the lucas combo video most people ARE completely ignorant to the fact that most of that is only possible because the other player was mediocre.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
***** I'm ESAM. I'm godlike. He also was SDIing D-smash, you can tell (he jumps up 2-3 hits). However, the last hit of D-smash is actually bigger, so if you don't do it in the first 2-3 hits (which he didn't since the first few hits didn't actually hit him) you get popped up. Oh, and also, since he was trying to SDI up, he ended up DIing up, which lead to the thunder.

Understand **** before you blame other people for doing it, especially considering they are better than you~

Chuee

Smash Hero
***** I'm ESAM. I'm godlike. He also was SDIing D-smash, you can tell (he jumps up 2-3 hits). However, the last hit of D-smash is actually bigger, so if you don't do it in the first 2-3 hits (which he didn't since the first few hits didn't actually hit him) you get popped up. Oh, and also, since he was trying to SDI up, he ended up DIing up, which lead to the thunder.

Understand **** before you blame other people for doing it, especially considering they are better than you~
You are a mean person for making Stingers cry.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
the disjoint is actually pretty small.

this makes me sad.

looks hella legit against bad characters though, since you'd force them to aerial/airdodge offstage.

but as was stated before, it would only possible if they di poorly.
Really? :< I should test that sometime, idk. Either way, most trades would leave Lucas at a better position unless he's at KO %, but enough about Lucas lol.

@ the video... honestly, I thought there was a pretty noticeable skill gap :/ Not to take away from ESAM because he played well, his opponent just didn't seem to be keeping up.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'd have to agree, that ROB didn't play optimally. ESAM got three kills thanks to down smash (two of which had a thunder followup that REALLY should have at least had the ROB try to air dodge), and let's not even mention the suicide or B-throw > fair > thunder kill by the blast zone.

Still, watching ESAM double 3-stock the ROB was pretty entertaining. I love B-throw on Delfino. :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Guys, it's the BEST VIDEO OF EACH CHARACTER thread.

Not the "Most fairly skilled opponents facing each other video of each character" thread.

zmx

Smash Lord

Still doesn't explain why he didn't attempt air dodging and the first downsmash kill, it looked like he had plenty of time. Nor does it make up for all the other big mistakes he made (including an SD) which ultimately allowed your double 3 stock more than anything else. So whether you are godlike or not is irrelevant (I know you are a top pika player). Sorry to disappoint you. Notice I didn't say he was a bad player in general. Just that particular set he was playing badly. The best players play badly randomly. It might have been nerves, who knows.

ATT: Illmatic

Here's the thing. IMO the best video of any character is when he defeats (or comes close to) an equally skilled player through solid tactics that work. If it's a mismatch then how can you say it's the "best" video possible? Obviously there's a better video possible. ANYBODY can have a great x character video if the only requirement is they dominate their opponent. Just find someone much worse than you (find any casual even) and play them.

Heck find a noob metaknight and dominate them with ganondorf. According to this logic you are now the best ganon player ever and also have the best ganon video.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Most of the time when one person gets dominated, even if they are close to equal skill, you could always depict the other person as "playing poorly" since...two players of near equal skill should never be winning/losing by too much. However, this still happens. You never see somebody get 3 stocked and say "Well, they were still playing well."

So you would like to see...what? A close match of like me vs Ally where I win? If it is a close match back/forth it doesn't seem like the best video of a character because they barely win. If you are looking for best MATCHES overall, then yeah you get those, but those aren't the best VIDS of the character.

zmx

Smash Lord
Most of the time when one person gets dominated, even if they are close to equal skill, you could always depict the other person as "playing poorly" since...two players of near equal skill should never be winning/losing by too much. However, this still happens. You never see somebody get 3 stocked and say "Well, they were still playing well."

So you would like to see...what? A close match of like me vs Ally where I win? If it is a close match back/forth it doesn't seem like the best video of a character because they barely win. If you are looking for best MATCHES overall, then yeah you get those, but those aren't the best VIDS of the character.
If you are playing the matchup excellently (say against Ally's Snake) and it's a close match (even if you lose), I'd say that's a top video of pikachu right there. Maybe you lost because of some lame SD at the last second. But even so, since most of the video was high level play, it would suffice.

And context is important. If it's a ganon vs a top falco and he get's 1-stocked that's still better than what most ganons could accomplish. If the community feels that that's as well as anybody could have played the matchup under those conditions, then that also could be a top ganon video.

Top Bottom