• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The top ten best Game Cube exclusives

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Of course, everyone's played Melee. Your list is lacking some F-Zero GX...that was probably my favorite GC game behind Melee.
Oh **** I forgot about that game. I thought it was a ton of fun!

I remember one time me, my brother, and my best friend did like 20 laps on Fire Field (Or whatever it's called). It was an all out battle the entire time.
Then on the last lap were were all super close together and boosting down the final straight part. Our times were all within 7 milliseconds O__o

I lost by one millisecond to my best friend ;__;
My brother lost by 7 milliseconds xD

Anyways, yeah, epic times with that game.

Also, I think I liked Sunshine more than 64. They were both fantastic games though.
Galaxy sucks.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
All 3D mario games have been great so far, imo.

F-Zero GX was RIDICULOUSLY hard, though. Geez. I used every ounce of skill getting to level 6 or 7 of the campaign mode and then I couldn't go on. Although, maybe I could try again since it's been a few years =o

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
This list sounds more like "the top 10 most underrated games" huh.
But I like the fact that you put kirby air ride in it. It truly was a good game even if it lacked complexity. The mini race mode (or whatever it's called) was the funniest thing ever in multiplayer mode.

And for the sunshine/64 war I'd say I liked sunshine but it lacks the speed of 64 (and the dozens of glitches, I loved to see mario fly with his hat in his hand).

Oh and melee is a beautiful game, the graphics only look old because you compare them with brawl.

WW was good and beautiful but there are only 5-6 real dungeons, srsly. And what's the point of destroying an island if you don't know what said island looked like before ? That part of the plot pissed me off.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
What about Metroid Prime 2?

..Meh, maybe it's just the way I played them though.. I personally think it's better than 1 but I played them one after another on the trilogy set. Good list though. Especially nice choice for TTYD on choice #1. I played through that game recently again and it still lives up to today's standards imo. Such a good game.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'd add Tales of Symphonia (but it wasnt originally a GC exclusive...US release was). Buuut thats just because Im addicted to that game.

But thats a pretty good list right there.

KrayzeeGuy

Smash Rookie
When I read Star Fox Assault as one of the best games, I wholly agreed. I never understood why it was so disliked, Adventures had nothing on it. And for how it went, I found it more hooking than Star Fox 64, despite the inability to choose your path.

Your number one choice I whole heartedly agree with as well. I'm a die hard fan of any Paper Mario, just because of how intuitive it was, artistically and gameplay-wise, I still hold it up higher than Super Paper Mario, just from the game length, storyline, and gameplay.

Now Kirby Air Ride I loved, but I felt it was released at a very bad time, I mean it had LAN capabilities, but who used LAN at all? I think it would've done better had Gamecube been wi-fi based, or had Nintendo released a version on the Wii with a bit more meat on the game's shallow bones. Though the checklists were a PAIN.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you stole my name kraze guy and spelled it better. kirby airrides bestest flaw was metaknight and the mode with the sky veiw both are super gay.

melee on top really this is a site mostly about that. only flaw was... don't know but they could have added someone better than another link sorry young link mains

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Prime pretty much just had you focusing on leaving the planet :/
Well, no, I wouldn't say that. The ultimate goal was to leave the planet, but in the process you were trying to recover information on the Chozo, destroy the source of Phazon, and destroy Meta Ridley, too.

I need to replay Prime 2, as I can barely remember it...but from what I remember, 1 > 2 >> 3.

All three are AMAZING games, but 1 did a perfect job of maintaining the isolation factor that Metroid games really should have, had good ol' sequence breaking (at least, before they "fixed" it...), amazing level design and music, and was overall a great game.

My problem with 2 is that trying to maneuver through the Dark World was super annoying before you get the Light Suit (i.e. approximately 20 minutes before the end of the game). The Dark/Light world concept was well-implemented for the most part, but it wasn't entirely creative either.
I think my largest issue, however, is the godforsaken beam ammo. That is the only major problem I have with the game. It forces you to be careful, true...but it also limits you quite a bit. And then the Annihilator Beam takes 1 of BOTH types of ammo? It restricts you a lot.

Prime 3 is the worst in my opinion, though, because it kills the isolation factor for the most part (once you get to Bryyo it gets better, but even then you have a fair amount of contact), Hyper Mode is really broken (you can't totally abuse it, but you can still abuse it quite a bit), they focused way too much on Phazon and the Phazon expansions which were used about twice each, INCLUDING the time you needed them to exit the Leviathans (and excluding Phaaze). It had some of the best boss battles in any of the three games, it had some good plot twists, but...it was inferior in many aspects.
Plus, the freaking ending. Like, we KNOW Samus doesn't die just by the timeline (Metroid 2, Super Metroid, and Fusion are all still to come after the Prime trilogy), so did they really have to pull one of those fake "OH NOEZ WE LOST CONTACT AN HOUR AGO BUT WAIT WHAT'S THIS" endings? I could probably find at LEAST 5 other instances of that in various movies and books, off the top of my head there's Independence Day. (Good movie, but I hate that kind of ending.)

It's a pretty awesome game overall, but it's the weakest of the trilogy, in my opinion.

Sonic Adventure DX: I don't know why people hate 3D sonic games, I actually like a couple: Sonic Heros, Sonic and the Secret Rings etc. anyway, I did like this game it was pretty fun, I just generally like these sort of adventure games, story wasn't bad, I actually love just randomally running around IMO (<3 speed), the gameplay wasn't that bad either. The other characters were a lot of fun as well, I felt like I could replay it with all the characters. I don't care what anyone says, Big the Cat wasn't THAT bad >: (
EDIT:Oh and Music = <3 Retract that statement >_>
I know there is something important to add to this, but I forgot >_>
It's not really a GameCube exclusive, though...it's a very loose remake of Sonic Adventure. They really only added the ability to unlock Metal Sonic after getting all 140 emblems and the collection of Sonic Game Gear games.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Cool stuff guys.

If I had to make a Top 5 in no particular order of what my favorite GCN exclusives were, it'd probably be something like

Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Custom Robo
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart: Double-Dash

1. I probably haven't played as many GCN games as you guys.
2. This is only my opinion.
3. I'm a nub.

Have fun :bee:

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
Lovin the KAR plug: that game was both amazing and simplistic at the same time.
I only ask: where's the Viewtiful Joe?
Very good game you must have overlooked.

I wasn't a fan of Star Fox Assault though. They just tried too hard, in my opinion. Star Fox never needed a story, or on foot battles to be great. We just need a newer Star Fox game in the same style as Star Fox 64. And until I get that, I will hate on all new Star Fox games! >:|

EDOT: Oh god! THANX CLOWNBOT!
How could I have forgotten CUSTOM ROBO!

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing.
Really, has no one said this?
I liked LoZ: Four Swords as well as Luigi's Mansion.

And I saw someone mentioned Custom Robo.

REL38

Smash Lord
Well, no, I wouldn't say that. The ultimate goal was to leave the planet, but in the process you were trying to recover information on the Chozo, destroy the source of Phazon, and destroy Meta Ridley, too.

I need to replay Prime 2, as I can barely remember it...but from what I remember, 1 > 2 >> 3.

All three are AMAZING games, but 1 did a perfect job of maintaining the isolation factor that Metroid games really should have, had good ol' sequence breaking (at least, before they "fixed" it...), amazing level design and music, and was overall a great game.

My problem with 2 is that trying to maneuver through the Dark World was super annoying before you get the Light Suit (i.e. approximately 20 minutes before the end of the game). The Dark/Light world concept was well-implemented for the most part, but it wasn't entirely creative either.
I think my largest issue, however, is the godforsaken beam ammo. That is the only major problem I have with the game. It forces you to be careful, true...but it also limits you quite a bit. And then the Annihilator Beam takes 1 of BOTH types of ammo? It restricts you a lot.

Prime 3 is the worst in my opinion, though, because it kills the isolation factor for the most part (once you get to Bryyo it gets better, but even then you have a fair amount of contact), Hyper Mode is really broken (you can't totally abuse it, but you can still abuse it quite a bit), they focused way too much on Phazon and the Phazon expansions which were used about twice each, INCLUDING the time you needed them to exit the Leviathans (and excluding Phaaze). It had some of the best boss battles in any of the three games, it had some good plot twists, but...it was inferior in many aspects.
Plus, the freaking ending. Like, we KNOW Samus doesn't die just by the timeline (Metroid 2, Super Metroid, and Fusion are all still to come after the Prime trilogy), so did they really have to pull one of those fake "OH NOEZ WE LOST CONTACT AN HOUR AGO BUT WAIT WHAT'S THIS" endings? I could probably find at LEAST 5 other instances of that in various movies and books, off the top of my head there's Independence Day. (Good movie, but I hate that kind of ending.)

It's a pretty awesome game overall, but it's the weakest of the trilogy, in my opinion.

Good points.
It's just that the entire isolation feel of Prime kinda made it seem dreary.
No one else around other than enemies that wanna kill you.
It may have been great for others, but I just wasn't quite feeling it.

In Echoes, it felt like you were fighting for something, that being, liberating the Luminoth. Checking in every now and then with U-Mos made it seem kinda worthwhile to know that you're saving a dying race. Tidbits of storyline and logs made it even more interesting to find out exactly what caused and happened during the war between the Luminoth and Ing.
Even the encounters with the Space Pirates seemed more unique as you observe them, see them die and their bodies resurrect via the Ing.

The inclusion of Dark Aether was interesting and unique. I found it annoying without the Dark Suit, but once you get it, things become more interesting and focused on staying in certain areas. It added a layer of difficulty. That was something I enjoyed.

And true, ammo was limited. Especially the Annihilator, but the results were great from that weapon.

I still need to try Corruption. One of the biggest hinderences I hear from it is the length of the game itself. Too short.

@Man of Popsicle

Only ever played Animal Crossing: Wild World.
A very relaxing game that takes your mind off life, if you ask me.

Luigi's Mansion was an odd take on a game for Luigi, but was good enough.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Animal Crossing.
Really, has no one said this?
No...

Animal Crossing
Animal Crossing
Two people have already said it.

Good points.
It's just that the entire isolation feel of Prime kinda made it seem dreary.
No one else around other than enemies that wanna kill you.
It may have been great for others, but I just wasn't quite feeling it.
That's generally the way Metroid games are, though. Perhaps that's not your type of game, but that's true for Metroid 1, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid.

In Echoes, it felt like you were fighting for something, that being, liberating the Luminoth. Checking in every now and then with U-Mos made it seem kinda worthwhile to know that you're saving a dying race. Tidbits of storyline and logs made it even more interesting to find out exactly what caused and happened during the war between the Luminoth and Ing.
Even the encounters with the Space Pirates seemed more unique as you observe them, see them die and their bodies resurrect via the Ing.
Hm. I don't really feel the same way, but I see where you're coming from.

The inclusion of Dark Aether was interesting and unique. I found it annoying without the Dark Suit, but once you get it, things become more interesting and focused on staying in certain areas. It added a layer of difficulty. That was something I enjoyed.
Yeah...I guess for me it was more tedious than difficult. Even once you got the Dark Suit, you still had to stay out of the "Dark" parts, but you could always just hide in the light beacons to heal.

And true, ammo was limited. Especially the Annihilator, but the results were great from that weapon.
They were, I just wish you could've used it more. It was an interesting concept, actually...it's too bad they didn't use that sound aspect more than just with the two suit upgrades, it would be interesting to see a full game focused around sounds.

I still need to try Corruption. One of the biggest hinderences I hear from it is the length of the game itself. Too short.
That would've been the least of my concerns, actually. It didn't take me too long to beat it, I suppose, but it wasn't all that noticeable to me.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Melee
PMTYD
Animal Crossing
Double Dash
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

I dislike Wind Waker because of how boring the sailing got, and then they made you do the stupid treasure hunt.

IMO, MP4 was trash. All the N64 MPs blow the GC ones out.

Double Dash was the best

I thouroughly enjoyed Pikman 1, and have not played two.

I dislike first person shooters, so Metroid Prime is not on my list, though I appreciate it for what it is.

Sunshine is an excellent game, but I prefer 64. Galaxy is something different because it's part of the "I'm not targeting you, Mr. I'm good at video games." It was easy, but still amazing IMO.

I discovered the Danger Mario strat as soon as the game came out, and completed Thousand Year Door 100% on my first play through.

007: Everything or nothing, Baldur's Gate, and Phantasy Star Online all deserve honorable mention, even if they aren't exclusive.

Tales games are hard to place. TOS was epic, and crap at the same time, lmao.

Luigi's Mansion is so frikken legit. I wish there was a harder difficulty setting on it.

I only watched my brother frikken BEAST at Jungle Beat, and it still made my list.

All the collector's edition games (LOZ, Sonic) were pro.

SSX Tricky was pro as hell. I might play that right now, lmao. Eddie all day.

IMO Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is extremely overrated.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I dislike first person shooters, so Metroid Prime is not on my list, though I appreciate it for what it is.
Metroid Prime isn't a first-person shooter.

It's fine that you don't like it, but I dislike it when people wrongly classify the games as first-person shooters. Yes, it's in first person, and yes, you shoot, but there is a fundamental difference between first-person shooters and the Prime trilogy. If they were really shooters, I'd dislike them myself.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
IMO Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is extremely overrated.
Noooooeees

Oh okay, you're right. but when I was little the game was extremely fun! chaos were so great to play with too, even my sisters did it.

And now I still listen to the music. gotta love that game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
. . . . yes it is.
Have you even played it...?

As I said, there is an inherent difference between the Prime games (first-person adventure games) and first-person shooters. Yeah you have a gun, but by that logic, Mirror's Edge is a first-person shooter too. Oh, and Portal.

The games focus around adventure, unlocking new suit upgrades, and bosses, instead of picking up guns, hiding behind cover, sniping, etc.

The gameplay is entirely different.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
. . . . yes it is.
Yah saying this was a bad idea. Seriously, so many people make the argument it is and it isn't.

I guess to kind of please everyone myself I just call it a bad FPS and great FPA so everyone who wants to think of it as a straight up 100% FPS gets the point.

It does have FPS aspects though, that can't be argued, but those aspects are overall bad if you're comparing it to a game like Call of Duty or something along those lines. That's why nobody really compares them to that. Not saying it would be better with CoD shooting, but it's just not that type of game and isn't supposed to be enjoyed like that.

And Firus I somewhat agree with you comparing this and a game like Portal. Metroid Prime at least has weapons, weapon upgrades, and things to shoot, though.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And Firus I somewhat agree with you comparing this and a game like Portal. Metroid Prime at least has weapons, weapon upgrades, and things to shoot, though.
Yeah, there's definitely more of a correlation between regular FPS's and Metroid Prime than Portal, but my point was that merely being in first-person and having a gun doesn't make a game a first-person shooter, which is the argument most seem to make.

But I have to at least be happy that Pierce7d didn't call "Metroid" a first-person shooter. Far too many people seem completely unaware of the existence of the 2D games in the series and the fact that Metroid existed long before 3D.

finalark

SNORLAX
but my point was that merely being in first-person and having a gun doesn't make a game a first-person shooter
Well, the Prime trilogy is a game in which you are in the perspective of first-person and you do a good amount of shooting in it. Someone should really come up with a name for games like that...

/sarcasim

Anyway, @Pieced7d. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle overrated? Yes. Sonic Adventure 2? No.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, the Prime trilogy is a game in which you are in the perspective of first-person and you do a good amount of shooting in it. Someone should really come up with a name for games like that...

/sarcasim
This is slightly insignificant, but I'm talking about the Metroid Prime Trilogy, i.e. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid Prime 3 as individual games. Not the compilation for Wii.

Also, did you ignore the entire point I made...? You do a good amount of shooting in Portal, too...does that make it a first-person shooter? You're in first-person and you can do a fair amount of shooting in Mirror's Edge too, I guess that's a first-person shooter as well.

People look at the games at face value. "OH HEY PERSPECTIVE + SHOOTING = FPS!" If you play Halo, then play Metroid Prime, you can easily see there is a HUGE fundamental difference between the two.

By your logic, Super Metroid, hm...2D...do a fair amount of shooting...HEY GUYS SUPER METROID IS AN ARCADE SHOOTER.

You can ignore the other aspects of the game if you want, but Metroid Prime is a first-person adventure.

Unless I somehow misinterpreted what the "/sarcasm" was supposed to be about...in which case, ignore this anger.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is slightly insignificant, but I'm talking about the Metroid Prime Trilogy, i.e. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid Prime 3 as individual games. Not the compilation for Wii.

Also, did you ignore the entire point I made...? You do a good amount of shooting in Portal, too...does that make it a first-person shooter? You're in first-person and you can do a fair amount of shooting in Mirror's Edge too, I guess that's a first-person shooter as well.

People look at the games at face value. "OH HEY PERSPECTIVE + SHOOTING = FPS!" If you play Halo, then play Metroid Prime, you can easily see there is a HUGE fundamental difference between the two.

By your logic, Super Metroid, hm...2D...do a fair amount of shooting...HEY GUYS SUPER METROID IS AN ARCADE SHOOTER.

You can ignore the other aspects of the game if you want, but Metroid Prime is a first-person adventure.

Unless I somehow misinterpreted what the "/sarcasm" was supposed to be about...in which case, ignore this anger.
Prime trilogy? Wii? What? Seriously, did something happen when I wasn't paying attention to Nintendo?

Anyway, I really didn't mean to get you up like that. You misenterpretied the /sarcasim bit. I call the Prime trilogy Adventureous First Person Shooters, because it combinds elements from adventure games with elements from first person shooters. The same way I call Bioshock a Surival Horror FPSRPG.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Prime trilogy? Wii? What? Seriously, did something happen when I wasn't paying attention to Nintendo?
Oh, wait, so you just worded it weirdly? The way you said...

the Prime trilogy is a game
...made me think you were talking about the compilation game.

And yeah, back in August, Nintendo released the Metroid Prime games all in one compilation disk with some slight enhancements (most notably the addition of motion sensor controls to 1 and 2.)

Anyway, I really didn't mean to get you up like that. You misenterpretied the /sarcasim bit. I call the Prime trilogy Adventureous First Person Shooters, because it combinds elements from adventure games with elements from first person shooters. The same way I call Bioshock a Surival Horror FPSRPG.
Ah, I thought you were calling them flat-out FPS's.

I still would differ on them being shooters at all (since I wouldn't call the 2D Metroids any kind of shooter either, just Action/Adventure), but I'm much more willing to compromise as long as it's not being called a pure first-person shooter. 'Cause you do shoot things, it's just not in quite the same way that most FPS's have you doing it.

Top Bottom