• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the TKD thread

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It's just some are no different than regular running upsmashes. Which is why it's pretty useless for a bunch of characters.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I seen the video about Fox dacus and i'm not convinced lol. You can tell with the no dacus part how he starts to U-smash right away, and when he does the dacus one he runs first then he U-smashes.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It doesn't matter if you're convinced...it's true lol. This has been pretty well known for A LOOOONG TIME.

You have to do it with a precise timing. But it is longer than regular dash upsmash. Just like falco.

crifer

Smash Lord
I seen the video about Fox dacus and i'm not convinced lol. You can tell with the no dacus part how he starts to U-smash right away, and when he does the dacus one he runs first then he U-smashes.
Did you read my post? That every character can pick up an item while inputing the dash attack and canceling it into an usmash is the proof that everyone has an usmash.

^^

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Fake as hell. He runs BEFORE he does a "dacus". In the running U-smash part he doesn't run in the beginning animation. In the Dacus one he does run in the beginning animation. Send me a better video and I'll beileve because this doesn't look like one.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
That "running animation" is actually a cancelled dash attack. Notice how Fox actually changes vertical position as his feet go from an outwards DA-position to a sliding one.

Anyways Rizk, this is why people get frustrated with you because your arguments are based off your strict and rather unbending speculation. If it doesn't make sense with your perspective (no matter how limited it may be) you instinctively deny it. Contrastingly, there are many times where I say something, and wish to be proven wrong. You have to believe in your fellow Fox players sometimes, especially those who have done more thorough and insightful research.

EDIT: (I also didn't appreciate you calling my video, which I had at one point put extensive effort into editing, "fake as hell", just so you know. Less composed players could have had a more intense reaction.)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Fake as hell. He runs BEFORE he does a "dacus". In the running U-smash part he doesn't run in the beginning animation. In the Dacus one he does run in the beginning animation. Send me a better video and I'll beileve because this doesn't look like one.
K, everything is brawl is a lie. I don't think Metaknight is best character, all those matches of him had people sandbagging and platform canceling is people editing the match during landing on the platform. :glare:

It's your loss not using it and calling it fake, it's like how some people believe the holocaust isn't real.

M@v

Subarashii!
-Every character can bdacus

-With a lot of the characters they either get no advantage at all or an advantage so small its barely noticeable. So its not worth even learning it seriously with a lot of people.

-Characters like Falco, Snake, Sheik, Diddy, and Wario (I may of forgot some) all gain large advantages from it and should learn it.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Hey guys I'm going to have TKD join me for an entire week for content on TES, here's the first!

Check out what makes Fox a good character contrary to popular belief. Or solidify it for you guys in the fox thread :)

and subscribe to my blog if you haven't already!

http://ow.ly/5muAl

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Remember this Rizk?

I think you mispelled ********. But this change is going to start NOW and YOU can count on this being the last time you EVER hear me trash talking somebody EVEN if they start first. I suggest you guys print screen this post because I WILL change.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Lmfao yes I remember it xD. I'm not trash talking people lol, just giving a heavy statement on something I don't beileve in :)
Honestly if you guys think I'm still like I was before you guys are crazy.

Edit: Btw can you tell me how long it's been since I posted that?

TKD

Smash Lord
I DOOOOOO!!!

TKD, most of the mks i see you fight play very defensively and reactionary. How would you approach(not literally) a mk who was the aggressor? A punish and bait style or agression vs agression or camp vs agression? What would change about the way you'd play defensive mks?

In your opinion which type does better?

Oh ya and obviously ik that a mix is usually the best but i mean what the player does the majority of the match. For ex. a defensive mk who is simply being like m2k but gets a grab should go on the agression for possible followups. Or gets you in the air.
Aggro works best on every style of MK. If they get on your nerves, you can get on theirs by doing some rolls and illusions so they try to cover more options and go less crazy. The MK should mix up a ton with his best options: blocking, roll forward, fair, dash approaches. If you don't have practice vs MK, his dtilt is **** because you can shield-grab it from block but the usmash takes practice.

Tkd I have a real question. Sometimes (mostly MK), when I dair someone when their at about 85+%, I buffer my u-smash but their shield comes out first and they shield grab. Could this be because sometimes I only hit them with 1 or 2 dairs?

Edit: whats bdacus

Edit2: fox cant dacus
Sometimes, right before landing with dair, the last hit doesn't get to come out. I call this a bad dair. It's bad luck, and not all that common. More common causes of this are that you're landing the dair at too low a %, so there's not enough hit-stun for an 8-frame move to combo (so watch out for Snake), and the worst one which would be that you're not buffering turn-around usmash when the opponent ends up behind you.

Fox can dacus. I suggest you try to confirm before being prematurely positive on things, because things like this affect your credibility.

About Sheik and Lucas...I can agree that Sheik has the upper hand on Fox, but not that she counters him. I play a solid MK and don't switch to him vs Sheik. I would switch if it gets that difficult, but who will play Sheik at that level? Lucas is definitely difficult, as it even feels close, but probably only until you learn the match-up.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Would the same method of shieldgrabbing MK work on TL/Ike/other sword users?

Also me and Kuro were messing around with this Japanese SSDI trick they made up for Ike's recovering, and I decided to turn around Shield then SSDI towards the ledge and I grabbed the ledge and edgehoged Kuro before he could grab it. We will be testing other characters who fall to this tech..

Is Bair a good frametrapper? I'm starting to use it as one.

Japanese video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8m5dxWxXs&list=PL5566FFC44AB94F41

Key:
5=neutral
6=Right
7=Upleft
8=Up
9=UpRight
1=Downleft
2=Down
3=Downright

Exdeath

Smash Master
Would the same method of shieldgrabbing MK work on TL/Ike/other sword users?

Also me and Kuro were messing around with this Japanese SSDI trick they made up for Ike's recovering, and I decided to turn around Shield then SSDI towards the ledge and I grabbed the ledge and edgehoged Kuro before he could grab it. We will be testing other characters who fall to this tech..

Is Bair a good frametrapper? I'm starting to use it as one.

Japanese video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8m5dxWxXs&list=PL5566FFC44AB94F41

Key:
5=neutral
6=Right
7=Upleft
8=Up
9=UpRight
1=Downleft
2=Down
3=Downright
Try it against a Meta Knight that likes to Up-B you if you shield if he doesn't space it high enough to immediately recover to the stage and make sure to dash to the other side and ledge hog him.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Wait, I really didn't understand what you said.
On the right ledge, Meta Knight's Up-B hits the bottom right of Fox's shield with Up-B, causing Fox to fall off of the ledge and grab the ledge. A Meta Knight who will use this will still go for the ledge for a bit and then drift downward to glide to the other ledge. Get up and dash to the other side and ledge hog. Meta Knight will die.

The same effect can come from drop shield>ledge hog, but the timing is a lot looser on this method.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
What's up Fox mains (and Iblis)?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
Posting it here because I believe it'll get viewed more this way.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
In theory i could see it as beneficial in several matchups tbh. I don't know about in application. Might fool around with it when some friends come.

Sorry I haven't checked this in a while.

~Kuro: Mainly at the questions that Iblis linked above.

Robfox: A good stage, huh? I'm not sure how can work with the stage since I'm unfamiliar with Fox's metagame. Mind elaborating? Also, there are 6 ledges, not 8. =P

TKD

Smash Lord
Hello

I'm surprised this thread is still a sticky! Well I'm back, and this time as the Mexican champion in SSBB.

First of all, I'm sorry to inform you that the stream videos I was gonna upload to Youtube were apparently deleted! And I played a tourney set with the best Falco in Mexico (which is probably 2nd best in us/can/mx). I like Fox vs some chars like Falco, Mario, MK but only played Fox in that one set.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I'm surprised this thread is still a sticky! Well I'm back, and this time as the Mexican champion in SSBB.

First of all, I'm sorry to inform you that the stream videos I was gonna upload to Youtube were apparently deleted! And I played a tourney set with the best Falco in Mexico (which is probably 2nd best in us/can/mx). I like Fox vs some chars like Falco, Mario, MK but only played Fox in that one set.
you weren't mexican champion before ? lol

glad your back, i returned recently too

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ waymas was.

Yo guys.
Vids coming up maybe this week.

I want to start playing and competing often. I know I've failed to achieve this many times, but it can be done.

Anyways it appears we can powerblock usmash vs MK's sh uair from battlefield's platform...unless they delay it (so they're dropping before usmash can come out), in which case there's time to hop away after blocking. Pretty good punish.

A fresh idea of mine: if you counter MK's dashgrab or dashattack with a downb, MK sort of enters Fox's body before being hit (during our couple invincible frames before the hitbox). There's a possibility that this event causes MK to be close enough for a buffered dash usmash to combo from the downb, CONSISTENTLY. A new counter that results in KO, covering both dash-exclusive options. Time to check percents, opponent frame disadvantage, and whether buffer dash usmash actually reaches.

For all of you that are noobs when facing Snake, remember to throw him offstage if you grab him near the ledge. Also, steal the ledge from him as often as possible so he dies or is forced to upb. If the Snake ever has a chance of overshooting the ledge with cipher, you have the choice of attempting to either grab him out of his cipher, or ledgehogging him in case he lets go to avoid your grab. Most Snakes WILL overshoot (like they don't know they can't let go of their cipher) so it may be best for your first instinct to be a grab. It's the principle of playing to kill a noob, then dropping gimmicks if the opponent proves to not play like one.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
!!!
Hey TKD, it's great to hear from you since it's been so long .-.

About countering MK's dash options with shine, what exactly would that look like? Do you mean like predicting when they'll dash-attack/grab and then shining right before they touch you? If so, that sounds pretty hard to land :|

I was going to watch the stream for the tournament, but it didn't seem to be working for me. I guess I'll just have to wait to later to see the matches.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Welcome back TKD!
Fox67890 is right, that shine on MK's dash attack/grab seems really difficult to land. What ever happened to SH Dair beating out MK's dash attack and grab? Do you not think that's as good of a counter any more? It's definitely much easier to hit with than shine in my opinion.
MK falls to the floor when hit with a fresh shine at 84 percent. From here I believe shine -> Upsmash does not work at all. However you can read MK's get up attack, roll, or get up and Upsmash from there.

Top Bottom