• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sword of Seals - Roy Moveset + Frame Data (incomplete)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Do you know the IASA frames of all his DED hits?
Yes they are the same as Marth's.

DB1: 42, in the air it's 33
DB2: 38
DB3: 43
DB4 Up: 50
DB4 Forward: 55
DB4 Down: 71

The different directions of DB2 and 3 have the same IASA.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Wait so what is the term for this phenomenon?

I forgot to post this here, but I had a similar effect happen to me vs a Roy. I was Marth and when I attacked his Fsmash, they should have clanked, but he absorbed it (it showed the little bubble animation) and I got hit. Seemed to be partial invincibility.

This happened again while challenging...I forgot what, but another one of Roy's normals.

Another weird OP thing with Roy is the crazy huge shield push-back he gets with his sweetspots.
It was probably armor. Feel free to disregard this if Roy's Fsmash does not have armor (I'm farily sure it does though.)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I'm starting to think the move I used was simply too stale to clash with his Fsmash

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It was probably armor. Feel free to disregard this if Roy's Fsmash does not have armor (I'm farily sure it does though.)
It doesn't have armor. I think Marth's sourspot F-Smash just deals too little damage to clash with Roy's sweetspot F-Smash.

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Previous weeks:

Neutral B - Flare Blade

Reminder! Just because the Week has already passed doesnt mean you cant still discuss on the thread!

Current Move: Up B, Blazer.

Blazer, This is a great kill move if used on the ground but not in the air. I feel like this move is actually pretty good OoS but I feel like it also stales pretty fast making it dangerous to use for that easy 17 damage OoS or save up to that 100% damage Kill... It is also worth noting that it comboes out of down throw but the damage output is bad when you have better options and it doesnt true combo anymore at kill percentages.

It also OHKOs jiggly if reversed when Roy has Rage lol

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Roy is able to act out of Fair earlier than Marth before hitting the ground (frame 29 for Roy, frame 38 for Marth), but Marth's floatiness means he is still able to act out of SH Fair before he hits the ground, and Fair auto cancels by that time too.
Alright. Zero mentioned in his Roy analysis video dat Marth couldn't jump before hitting the ground. I stand corrected then I guess.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
You can abuse roy's great airspeed and cheese your opponents shields by wave-bouncing double-edge dance or flare blade or simply double jumping away.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
In Melee Roy was able to kill Jigglypuff with a reverse up b at any percent. This is due to the set knock back of the first hit of the move sending her high enough to die instantly. Now in Smash 4 this has returned by this time thanks to the rage mechanic. It also appears puff isn't the only one effected now and it doesn't need to be the first hitbox,

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I managed to do this to Jigglypuff at 200% rage yesterday with the first hitbox, problem is it didn't kill, I was also on town and city. Is there a very specific time you have to hit it that I'm missing?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I managed to do this to Jigglypuff at 200% rage yesterday with the first hitbox, problem is it didn't kill, I was also on town and city. Is there a very specific time you have to hit it that I'm missing?
Rage maxes at 150%, also if you were trying it in training mode then rage isn't accounted for there.

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
I did this to a cpu game and watch in melee many years ago. Never was able to replicate it.

GenericName12345

Smash Rookie
So I did some testing with the other character standing on the top platform of Battlefield, I found that
  1. The knockback as shown here is actually fixed(based on weight), and if this doesn't KO at 0 it can't KO at all
  2. Normally, this only works on Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo (I didn't actually test it but he's lighter than Game and Watch), but if they're charging a smash attack, like the Fox in this video, it even works on Ganondorf, and presumably everyone lighter than him. (i.e. 90+% of the cast)
I have a feeling this might get patched, but at the moment it kills everyone except :4charizard::4dk::4dedede::4bowser: on the top platform of battlefield, probably fewer at the ledge where it would generally be more useful though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So I did some testing with the other character standing on the top platform of Battlefield, I found that
  1. The knockback as shown here is actually fixed(based on weight), and if this doesn't KO at 0 it can't KO at all
  2. Normally, this only works on Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo (I didn't actually test it but he's lighter than Game and Watch), but if they're charging a smash attack, like the Fox in this video, it even works on Ganondorf, and presumably everyone lighter than him. (i.e. 90+% of the cast)
I have a feeling this might get patched, but at the moment it kills everyone except :4charizard::4dk::4dedede::4bowser: on the top platform of battlefield, probably fewer at the ledge where it would generally be more useful though.
It scales with rage too though.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Rage maxes at 150%, also if you were trying it in training mode then rage isn't accounted for there.
whoa whoa whoa, rage isn't accounted for in training!? that explains SO much THANK YOU. now all my friends can shut up about "i tested it in training blah blah blah."

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
whoa whoa whoa, rage isn't accounted for in training!? that explains SO much THANK YOU. now all my friends can shut up about "i tested it in training blah blah blah."
Yeah, and all moves stay 100% fresh also.

In actual game moves can go up to 105% fresh. Its a minimal change tho

Liduri

Smash Cadet
Semi-clone'd.

• dair is like Ike's
  • ftilt looks like Brawl-, without the projectile
  • fsmash doesn't hit the ground like Marth's (looks like the first swing of Link's fsmash; still 20% uncharged sweetspot)
  • fair isn't as big of an arc as Marth's
  • bair looks like Marth's
  • Flare Blade explodes like Eruption (still an overhead swing)
  • uair looks cooler than Marth's, but appears functionally the same
  • utilt resembles Project M
  • Blazer doesn't cover much distance
  • DED shares animation with DB (but has T3H PH1R3)
  • counter has a sexy fiery slash
  • usmash burns normally then has a Melee SD Remix-style explosion
  • dash attack appears to have a redone animation
  • dsmash is cloned from Marth
  • "Boku wa makenai!" taunt confirmed!
  • nair is cloned from Marth
  • appears to be faster than Marth/Lucina
  • dtilt does not have the same pop-up as Melee

Why in the video i see Mario 30% and Luigi 23%? and not Roy-Luigi?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Why in the video i see Mario 30% and Luigi 23%? and not Roy-Luigi?
Someone hacked the game before the last DLC batch were officially announced or released and was able to play as Roy, Ryu and Lucas around 2 days before the actual release.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Apparently Up-B can spike. I was practicing kill setups and at one moment I hit with the very last hit of Up-B and it spiked Sheik downwards. I was trying Jab->Up-B at around 80% (on Sheik). It only happened once out of like 40 times. I have no idea how to reproduce it or what caused it but it did happen.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Apparently Up-B can spike. I was practicing kill setups and at one moment I hit with the very last hit of Up-B and it spiked Sheik downwards. I was trying Jab->Up-B at around 80% (on Sheik). It only happened once out of like 40 times. I have no idea how to reproduce it or what caused it but it did happen.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Roys recovery is much better than I gave it credit for. The distance is a bit mediocre, but the Up-B hitboxes are quite powerful and cover Roy nicely in the front.

GenericName12345

Smash Rookie
So ummmm, Roy's up-B and people who are about the grab the ledge create a super stage spike even at 0%. I was playing a Falcon and I hit his Up-B with mine right as he was about to grab the edge. Falcon was around 30% and he got stage spiked and traveled faster than if Ganon would have spiked him, it was incredibly fast. It was so jarring we both screamed: "wtf?".

I've done this 2 more times since, it's very strong because it's unrecoverable even at very low %s (haven't tested 0% but it might be too). It's either they tech or die by the looks of it.
Did you have rage? I think this might be related to that 0% kill that his up B seems to do when you're at high %

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Did you have rage? I think this might be related to that 0% kill that his up B seems to do when you're at high %
No rage in training mode. Also I am not talking about high knockback. I an saying the regular knockback it does had a downwards trajectory instead of upwards.

Miley

Smash Cadet
Outside of the hard read f-smash, I find my opponents living to rather high percentages.

I was wondering if there are any guaranteed kill set ups or at least some good strings/mix up kill set ups that don't necessarily require a hard read.

What are your kill methods with Roy?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Up B out-of-shield is a common kill strategy

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
You could throw out an ftilt to challenge a grounded attack, or a nair to challenge aerial ones.
Usmash at the ledge is great.
Charging Flare Blade at the ledge is great, too.
Jab to Usmash psuedo-combos at 90-110 maybe even higher.
Fthrow (off the ledge) at mid percents can set up dair spike pretty nicely. And if you succeed or fail the first time next time just pretend you're jumping offstage, and then hope they recover above the ledge so you can smack them with a rogue fsmash or something.
Offstage fair is pretty good, even the sourspot. Bair if they try recovering over the ledge. Bair stage-spike or side-b to fair/upb stagespike if they recover low (like fox, pit, marth, etc.). You can also run offfstage and counter predictable recovers.
Throw out a dash attack on landings, like after you throw someone, or feign a juggle attempt (empty hop fastfalls and such).
Utilt kills, too, but there's not really a set-up for that.

In general, you don't wanna throw out fsmash at kill percent just because past 90% all the tilts and some of the aerials are liable to kill anyway. Save fsmash for 60-80% jank near the ledge. You can set it up as a tech chase I guess, like if you dtilt or jab, then chase and surprise them with an fsmash.

That's all I got so far.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
hi

http://smashboards.com/threads/roys-frame-data.407905/

my thread is better and more accurate in every regard

One question: When a move has 360+ degrees in knockback, what does that mean?

I mean shouldn't 366 technically be 6 degrees or am I just missing something obvious?

Also while I have no doubt as to the accuracy of your info and I truly thank you for all you do, I think that you shouldn't just throw away Indigo's work so casually. I mean he also put a lot of effort into it I am sure.

Not trying to start any kind of fight, and again, thanks for everything you do for the community.

Doval

Smash Lord
One question: When a move has 360+ degrees in knockback, what does that mean?

I mean shouldn't 366 technically be 6 degrees or am I just missing something obvious?
Angles above 360 are special. 361 is usually known as the "Sakurai Angle" - weak hits launch more horizontally, strong hits launch closer to 45 degrees. So the higher the enemy's %, the higher the angle.

If I remember correctly 366 is the autolink angle - the attack simply moves the victim in same direction as the attacker. It's meant to make multihit moves combo regardless of which way the attacker is moving, but it has the fun side effect of letting you drag opponents with you if you fast-fall an autolink aerial offstage.

Last edited:

micahclay

Smash Rookie
Single hit nair into Ftilt can work depending on DI

EDIT: Does not depend on DI

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Single hit nair into Ftilt can work depending on DI
What DI? Single hit N-Air has no knockback. Single hit N-Air to anything is a combo, it depends on the %, the higher the % the slower the follow up can be (and be a true combo). U-Tilt and F-Tilt can both true combo at kill %s from Single Hit N-Air.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Throw out a dash attack on landings, like after you throw someone, or feign a juggle attempt (empty hop fastfalls and such).
To add to this, if your opponent is prone to air-dodging a lot after being thrown, you can down throw to empty short-hop to bait out an airdodge, then land and F-Smash/F-Tilt/Up-B them.

Top Bottom