• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sword of Seals - Roy Moveset + Frame Data (incomplete)

Girnee

Smash Cadet
Roy's Specials are already confirmed to be unchanged so they probably are just going to use his Melee moveset.

Specials for all 3 upcoming characters: http://imgur.com/u47Q72k

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Based on the limited footage so far, some of his moves do seem to have changed up animations. He holds his sword differently when using Blazer and it seems some of his DED animations were changed up as well.

Maybe the same will apply to his neutral moves? That'd be cool.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So, they kept Roy's standard special, Flare Blade, as it was in Melee, correct? No poking like Lucina/Marth? :3
That alone makes him a semi clone ^-^

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
So, they kept Roy's standard special, Flare Blade, as it was in Melee, correct? No poking like Lucina/Marth? :3
That alone makes him a semi clone ^-^
Yep. It's still the classic overhead swing in glorious HD. It has noticeable fire effects when he's charging it now too. : D

EDIT: You can see it fully charged in this video.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yep. It's still the classic overhead swing in glorious HD. It has noticeable fire effects when he's charging it now too. : D

EDIT: You can see it fully charged in this video.
Sweet! I always preferred the coverage of the old variation of the move.
I mean, it granted a hitbox that pretty much covered the entirety of the character.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I hope DED is actually formidable, and not just some cheap-damage easy combo like DB.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Looking at the pictures, Roy now holds his sword in a reverse grip when performing Blazer. Wonder if that means something.

Odon

Smash Cadet
Hopefully they kept his d-tilt the same and made it so it actually combos into his other moves.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Now that his specials are different from Smash 4 Marth's, I'm hoping he gets his A attacks changed, except maybe D-tilt. Then our boy can be an almost non-clone. (Or he can just be a clone of Melee Marth, who isn't in this game :troll: )

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now that his specials are different from Smash 4 Marth's, I'm hoping he gets his A attacks changed, except maybe D-tilt. Then our boy can be an almost non-clone. (Or he can just be a clone of Melee Marth, who isn't in this game :troll: )
My thoughts exactly. An English voice actor wouldn't hurt either. "TOE! TOE! TOE! HYRAAAGH!" gets annoying after a while.

D3xter

Smash Rookie
NNID
DDexter
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed yet, but I looked over the video again and I think Roy's forward smash changed. It's quick and hard to catch, but when he's attacking Marth you can see that he does an upward slash first then does a downward slash. So it's a two-hit move now similar to Pit's.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed yet, but I looked over the video again and I think Roy's forward smash changed. It's quick and hard to catch, but when he's attacking Marth you can see that he does an upward slash first then does a downward slash. So it's a two-hit move now similar to Pit's.
It seems more likely that that's part of his DED, not his forward smash. The animations are new and welcome nonetheless.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think that's Double-Edge Dance.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm hoping that Roy's air game was improved from his Melee days, his air game was bad before Little Mac took that honor, yet it was funny landing air combos with him even though he can't kill foes with his air attacks unlike Marth, it was fun to fustrate a few friends of mine with Roy's hilariously bad air game.

Little Mac better watch out, his bad air game is being threatened by our now grown up boy.

Last edited:

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Man Roy looks good. He's got a lot of changes from what I could see on stream, a new F-Smash, new F-Air, Ike's D-Air, new jab, Flare Blade animation is brand new (not OG Marth's). He's strong and he's pretty damn fast.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Man Roy looks good. He's got a lot of changes from what I could see on stream, a new F-Smash, new F-Air, Ike's D-Air, new jab, Flare Blade animation is brand new (not OG Marth's). He's strong and he's pretty damn fast.
Please tell me he has a rapid jab (with finisher), and has his air game improved?

Last edited:

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Please tell me has a rapid jab (with finisher), and has his air game improved?
I wish that I could tell you the jab has a finisher but the streamer never hit anyone with the jab that I could see. The jab itself is decently fast though, can be seen at around 17:50 in this video:

http://www.twitch.tv/crediar/v/6139915

He didn't really do any air tricks either. Just used the attacks.

Is he semicloned?
Yes, very much so.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Semi-clone'd.

• dair is like Ike's
  • ftilt looks like Brawl-, without the projectile
  • fsmash doesn't hit the ground like Marth's (looks like the first swing of Link's fsmash; still 20% uncharged sweetspot)
  • fair isn't as big of an arc as Marth's
  • bair looks like Marth's
  • Flare Blade explodes like Eruption (still an overhead swing)
  • uair looks cooler than Marth's, but appears functionally the same
  • utilt resembles Project M
  • Blazer doesn't cover much distance
  • DED shares animation with DB (but has T3H PH1R3)
  • counter has a sexy fiery slash
  • usmash burns normally then has a Melee SD Remix-style explosion
  • dash attack appears to have a redone animation
  • dsmash is cloned from Marth
  • "Boku wa makenai!" taunt confirmed!
  • nair is cloned from Marth
  • appears to be faster than Marth/Lucina
  • dtilt does not have the same pop-up as Melee

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't mind that he supposedly has the same move-set. I loved playing as him in Melee and Project M, after all. Can't wait for his trailer. :D

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Is he faster than he was in Melee?
It's been a long time since I played Melee but he appears to be Marth speed to my eyes.

Looking at the pictures, Roy now holds his sword in a reverse grip when performing Blazer. Wonder if that means something.
He reverse-grips in a lot of his attacks now, actually. It's pretty cool.

Flare blade better be OHKO. Or else I'm taking Sakurai hostage. But in all seriousness, the hype is so real and the Flare blade looks beautiful.
It is an OHKO at full charge.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So Roy is officially the fourth Luigified character in Smash history. Wonderful job, Sakurai.

Top Bottom