• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sword of Seals - Roy Moveset + Frame Data (incomplete)

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
So basically Roy is a luigification of Marth, with Ike dair, Flare Blade, a flaming counter, and that sweet, sweet upsmash?

Ok, now I know. I'm dead and this is heaven.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Apparently his dthrow has little knockback at early percents. Better than morth/bad morth confirmed.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I can't wait to see gifs of all moves because damn the new animations are looking pretty good. So glad he's a semi-clone.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
His animations seem to be changed with his base sweetspot in mind. It's a shame his Final Smash is cloned from Marth's, though. I wouldn't mind a clone of Great Aether.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
His animations seem to be changed with his base sweetspot in mind. It's a shame his Final Smash is cloned from Marth's, though. I wouldn't mind a clone of Great Aether.
It's a clone in name only. Animation, effects, damage/KB are all unique.

Fully charged Flare Blade does 50%, 10% recoil

USmash hits 5 times, 23% fully charged, 14% on finisher

FSmash does 20% at sweetspot uncharged (holy ****)

Counter does ×1.35 damage, has a fire effect (does it in Melee? I don't remember)

DAir resembles Ike's, meteors at the sweetspot

DThrow does 5%

Apparently instead of only the hilt being a sweetspot, the "whole blade" is the sweetspot, so I'm guessing that only the very tip is the sourspot (Double Edge Dance and DAir's in game tips specifically mention "hitting with the whole blade" to get the most mileage out of them)

His short hop looks REALLY good

I'll have complete-ish frame data (hit on frames, endlag/FAF, damage, etc) by tomorrow assuming he releases then.

Last edited:
I have to wonder why Sakurai decided to give Roy a lot of Ike-ish elements now... I mean, he even has the tattered cape!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In Melee, his Counter multiples damage by 1.5. Now, it multiples by 1.35 and does fire damage. Is the window still as short?

Ah I see! I haven't gotten that far yet (whoops) ;_;

In Melee, his Counter multiples damage by 1.5. Now, it multiples by 1.35 and does fire damage. Is the window still as short?
Mashed Potato Soccer Eye said:
The move is a little slow to start and only lasts a short while, but if used successfully on an incoming attack, it can deal 1.35x damage back at the enemy.
Sounds like that's the case.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have to wonder why Sakurai decided to give Roy a lot of Ike-ish elements now... I mean, he even has the tattered cape!
His design is a mix of Blinding Blade and Awakening. As Hellrazor said, the Ike cape is from Awakening.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
About that down air, are we talking Brawl Ike's down air where the sweetspot is at the soonest hitbox, or 4 Ike where you have to land it on a certain spot?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Oh, and I found this. Source: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/

Move Tips:

Move

Tip

Flare Blade

Try charging this move right after launching a foe off of the stage, and then smack them with it when they try to recover!

Flare Blade

As you hold down the button, the attack gradually grows in strength. It’s unleashed when you let go of the button or when the move is fully charged.

Blazer

Roy is momentarily invincible when he uses this move. Unleash it while on the ground to absorb a few hits, and then launch opponents.

Blazer

Roy can lash out in the opposite direction with this move if you quickly tap backward before he begins his ascent.

Blazer

By pushing left or right during Roy’s ascent, you can adjust the angle of the move. However, this stops him from climbing as high.

Double-Edge Dance

Press the button repeatedly for a four-hit combo. You can change the finishing move by pressing up or down during the combo.

Double-Edge Dance

If you aim up on the third hit and to the side on the fourth, the power of the fourth hit increases and it will be easier to hit with the full blade.

Counter

The move is a little slow to start and only lasts a short while, but if used successfully on an incoming attack, it can deal 1.35x damage back at the enemy.

Counter

One sneaky strategy is to counter an opponent in midair as they try to stop you from recovering. Roy falls pretty quickly, though, so it’s risky!

Standard Attack

A backhanded, upward sword slash. Unlike most standard attacks, it doesn’t include any follow-ups, but it has speed and power to make up for it.

Strong Side Attack

Roy takes a step forward as he unleashes the move, making it easier to strike with the whole blade and do a lot more damage.

Strong Down Attack

This fast, crouching sword strike has low power, but it turns Roy into a small target.It’s great for disrupting enemy attacks.

Up Smash Attack

Roy’s up smash, Flame Sword, is an upward of his fiery blade. His sword arm is invulnerable during this, making the move good against air attacks.

Standard Air Attack

Roy performs a double sword slash in midair. This attack’s speed makes it ideal for disrupting enemy attacks and getting in close.

Down Air Attack

If you can hit the foe with the full blade, this move has a meteor effect. It’s powerful straight down, but aim carefully, because it lacks horizontal range.

Downward Throw

Enemies thrown down by this move will bounce and then momentarily float in front of Roy. That’s a good time for a follow-up attack!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/

Damn. Cool details inside.

Dthrow confirmed designed for combos.
Oh wow, interesting...

There's too much stuff to process right now. @_@ lol

While we're at it @Royvolution Ream it seems like there's going to be a MegaMan.EXE Mii Gunner costume. So much hype!

I'll have complete-ish frame data (hit on frames, endlag/FAF, damage, etc) by tomorrow assuming he releases then.
Aaaah frame data hype!!~ I'm hoping Roy's going to be released sooner than later.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Fully charged Flare Blade does 50%, 10% recoil

USmash hits 5 times, 23% fully charged, 14% on finisher

FSmash does 20% at sweetspot uncharged (holy ****)

Counter does ×1.35 damage, has a fire effect (does it in Melee? I don't remember)

DAir resembles Ike's, meteors at the sweetspot

DThrow does 5%

Apparently instead of only the hilt being a sweetspot, the "whole blade" is the sweetspot, so I'm guessing that only the very tip is the sourspot (Double Edge Dance and DAir's in game tips specifically mention "hitting with the whole blade" to get the most mileage out of them)

His short hop looks REALLY good

Oh are you doing the frame data? I was gonna do it but if you are I'll focus on something else. Shield advantage/disadvantage? I've got a really good capture card so I can go frame by frame through the stuff. Hit me up if you wanna divide the work.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Roy's moveset has been changed to an extreme degree, so much so that he feels like a completely new character. For example, his new neutral B is now a cannonball that can be charged similar to Greninja's neutral B. He has also received quite a few aesthetic changes as well. For example, he now wears Sunglasses.

I can't wait to see what else the data miners find about Roy's new kit.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I think he got a new voice actor as well. He no longer speaks Japanese.
It's the exact same person lol. Just new voice clips. The guy is over a decade older now but sounds perfect.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Roy's range seems different, but that's probably because of the animation changes to jab, Ftilt, and Utilt and the fact reverse-grip hits are difficult to use with range - Ganondorf's Warlock Blade looks weird because of that animation. Jab looks like it could be used for an anti-air since he basically does an uppercut while Utilt has more central coverage and then there's Up Smash. Dude, Roy could punish aerial approaches hard just because of his moves work.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Wait is his sweetspot really every part of the sword but the tip!?
No. It looks more like they just took notes from PM (in a lot of ways to be honest). His sourspots just seem a lot more serviceable. More like Marth sours now.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm, I wonder what Roy with rage is like considering Marth with rage is a beast. Roy's Side Smash does 20% at the base so... If rage scales well then... Woo, we've got another rage monster like Marth.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Wowowowow, Roy is faster than Marth? Yoooooo.

Man, I'm maining the crap out of him. It really looks like he is a true rushdown character, based purely on offense.

No. It looks more like they just took notes from PM (in a lot of ways to be honest). His sourspots just seem a lot more serviceable. More like Marth sours now.
Oh, that sounds kinky.

Top Bottom