• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The good thing about EarthBound though is that you've got a lot of bright, colorful scenarios to cover up the...bad stuff...

And EarthBound doesn't really keep you in a dark scenario for too long. It'll drag you down a bad path for all of 40 seconds and then you're back to fun land.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
How do you deal with projectiles? Like they completely shut me down, I have to rely on my secondary to counter them :4falco: I know people can do it, I just don't know how. How do you do it?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
How do you deal with projectiles? Like they completely shut me down, I have to rely on my secondary to counter them :4falco: I know people can do it, I just don't know how. How do you do it?
I guess all you can do is powershielding them. As a Megaman player, this is sometimes my best option when customs are off. Now, Ness can also Bat 'em away or absorb them with PK Magnet, but it isn't really safe, so I wouldn't risk myself to do that. I remember that you can also SH airdodge then cancel the landing lag with an aerial.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So Ness can have a troublesome time with these characters if the projectiles are fast and/or not energy-based. The thing about shielding all the projectiles is it's so fundamentally different from what we're used to that it's really hard. Not only do you have to play a (quite scary) neutral/footsies with :4link: , you also have to get up to that point.

The key to playing that game is to calm down and approach slowly and carefully. Once you're at mid-range, you might be able to punish the projectile-spammer with whatever he/she is doing. If not, be careful and don't just rush in. Play footsies smart, and if you do get in, take advantage of it, because most projectile users don't have too much to cover up their disadvantaged state. Link offstage is damage for free, for instance. I also feel like you could juggle Samus but I'd need to test that more.

I hope that helps a little bit. If it's any consolation I suck at projectile-spammy characters too, but recently I tried really changingf up my gameplan and seriously playing slowly and smartly and I suddenly did really really well.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just run in and powershield. It's basic, but it's a universal tactic for many characters. Ness doesn't have any particularly good method of getting in outside the normal, so you've gotta master the fundamentals. Run, shield, drop the shield, run again. Once you get in, don't overcommit so you let the opponent escape. Get in, and then anticipate what the opponent will do. Will he roll away? Lead his roll. Will he attack? Shield and counter.

Alternatively, you can utilize the PK Jump AT, but that takes some practice and execution. I've been doing it a lot lately with some good success, but I recommend you learn to powershield approach anyways.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Just run in and powershield. It's basic, but it's a universal tactic for many characters. Ness doesn't have any particularly good method of getting in outside the normal, so you've gotta master the fundamentals. Run, shield, drop the shield, run again. Once you get in, don't overcommit so you let the opponent escape. Get in, and then anticipate what the opponent will do. Will he roll away? Lead his roll. Will he attack? Shield and counter.

Alternatively, you can utilize the PK Jump AT, but that takes some practice and execution. I've been doing it a lot lately with some good success, but I recommend you learn to powershield approach anyways.
Pk jump AT?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Double jump and PKF at the same time (hold forwards too). It adds a strong forwards momentum to your double jump, good for hopping over projectiles with an immediate hitbox. It's a bit tricky to time at first, but you'll notice it when you don't DJC instead.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Question for you Ness mains, do you set C-Stick to Tilts when you play on Wii U? I have a tourney Saturday and I sometimes hold it when I do Fairs subconsciously (but I kinda notice my air mobility arrested), so I may change it and I don't feel I'd be giving up much with Ness' set of Smashes. :p

On the other hand I'm not sure if I could get used to Tilt Sticking, also unsure if there's still a jump glitch like from Brawl (where Tilt Sticking gave you a jump sometimes lol)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I use tilts on stick, but I don't think I utilize it as much as I should.
As far as I know, C-stick has never made me jump.

Noa.

Smash Master
I have c stick set to attack. I always slam the c stick so my aerial momentum would always be ****ed up if it were set to smash. I very rarely smash as Ness anyways, and when I do I want to charge it. I find it more intuitive to charge with the a button than holding the c stick. Years of playing brawl competitively I suppose.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I use the c stick for smashes like normal. I use the c stick for aerials which allows me to use the analog stick to keep momentum.
Also i use a gamecube controller btw. :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, I went back to beat Giygas again today, and at the start of one of the phases, something really strange happened. The text at the top of the screen said "Poo•Giygas' body solidified!". I'm sure it's just a glitch, but have any of you guys run into something like that before?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Played a tournament Sheik the other day - the way I see it, Sheik will win in neutral but if you get in you'll do enough damage. Eventually you're at 140%, Sheik is at 100%, you Bthrow her from centre stage and try to avoid BF set-ups until you die. Or she kills you first and you get to 60% before you actually kill her. Or she walls you out constantly until you die, RIP. Rinse and repeat, -1 MU.

... In actuality you also have to keep an eye out for her when you're off-stage. Also I'm not sure exactly how practical this is but I've taken to going for heals off vanish when she's off-stage (good luck trying to edge-guard that :p ). Not sure if it's actually applicable at a higher level.

The first half of the post is part-joking, I know it's more complex than that but I'd like to let someone more knowledgeable take the reigns.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Cause we're hip!

... I dunno, peeps are doing things, hasn't school / uni stuff started for some people already or are my calculations incorrect (thus making me an ignorant Southern Hemisphere-r :p )

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Na. I've just been waiting for someone to start a conversation. Oh ya, I finally made a Miiverse account (didn't do so earlier cause I'm a derp), so I can now support Ness along with my other 4 mains!

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So I went back to playing Earthbound Zero and was surpised how colorful and brighter everything looked compared to Beginnings. Could just be my TV's input settings....

Last edited:

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
Hello Ness mains! (or EarthBound/MOTHER franchise enthusiasts)

I was scrolling a bit through Ness's data and I was wondering if any of you guys could help me identify this [enormous] attack:

I'm not sure what this is, but it has me curious. It's probably the biggest hitbox I have seen on a character yet

(not sure if this is PK Flash because it doesn't do 0 damage :/)

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Hello Ness mains! (or EarthBound/MOTHER franchise enthusiasts)

I was scrolling a bit through Ness's data and I was wondering if any of you guys could help me identify this [enormous] attack:

I'm not sure what this is, but it has me curious. It's probably the biggest hitbox I have seen on a character yet

(not sure if this is PK Flash because it doesn't do 0 damage :/)
Could that be PK Magnet's windbox ? Since It's all around Ness' body...
BTW, Ness' forward PK Magnet deals more damage than Lucas, but has less knockback. Why is it like that ?

Edit : NVM, that could be bigger than PK Magnet & PK Flash

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I finally went back to EarthBound Beginnings today and got whooped by the Starman Jr. at the zoo. Ya, not so sure I like this one as much as EarthBound so far...hopefully it'll get better as I go. Around what level should I be at when going to the zoo?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
So I finally went back to EarthBound Beginnings today and got whooped by the Starman Jr. at the zoo. Ya, not so sure I like this one as much as EarthBound so far...hopefully it'll get better as I go. Around what level should I be at when going to the zoo?
First: Did you get the Franklin Badge? That is necessary in order to defeat Starman Jr.

Second: Around what level were you? Personally I cannot remember what level I was, though I can assure you I was at least Level 9. I think I was around 11-12 when I attempted it, and I didn't struggle at all. I think using Defense Up Alpha helped (against his regular attacks, not Beam).

Third: Starman Jr. has little PP. You really just have to survive until he runs out if worst comes to worst.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
First: Did you get the Franklin Badge? That is necessary in order to defeat Starman Jr.

Second: Around what level were you? Personally I cannot remember what level I was, though I can assure you I was at least Level 9. I think I was around 11-12 when I attempted it, and I didn't struggle at all. I think using Defense Up Alpha helped (against his regular attacks, not Beam).

Third: Starman Jr. has little PP. You really just have to survive until he runs out if worst comes to worst.
1. No. Where might I get that? The room next door?

2. Level 10 or 11. And, the only PSI moves I have are Lifeup a, Healing a, and Telepathy (I'm sure that's useful later, but right now it's useless).

3. Ya, that's what I tried...didn't work out too well.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
1. No. Where might I get that? The room next door?

2. Level 10 or 11. And, the only PSI moves I have are Lifeup a, Healing a, and Telepathy (I'm sure that's useful later, but right now it's useless).

3. Ya, that's what I tried...didn't work out too well.
So, I guess I'll help too
1. Go back to that girl you saved in the cemetery (don't remember her name). I think she is on the 1st road. Y'know, the one that takes you to Podunk.

2. This one is kind of a spoiler, so...
That Telepathy skill will open the doors to the Wonderland. Don't stay stuck like I was ;-; (use it on a weird stone). And screw the mazes.[\spoiler]

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, I guess I'll help too
1. Go back to that girl you saved in the cemetery (don't remember her name). I think she is on the 1st road. Y'know, the one that takes you to Podunk.

2. This one is kind of a spoiler, so...
That Telepathy skill will open the doors to the Wonderland. Don't stay stuck like I was ;-; (use it on a weird stone). And screw the mazes.[\spoiler]
Oh, so it's almost like rescuing Paula in terms of how you get the Franklin Badge. Cool, thanks.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
Could that be PK Magnet's windbox ? Since It's all around Ness' body...
BTW, Ness' forward PK Magnet deals more damage than Lucas, but has less knockback. Why is it like that ?

Edit : NVM, that could be bigger than PK Magnet & PK Flash
This is way bigger than PSI magnet. In perspective, Lucas's Up Smash has a size of 12.. I really have a hard time solving this one

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Had a tourney today, did well~
4th out of 60! :D

I have to say I kept getting MUs I usually don't like or are just stressful once I was in Loser's Bracket lol.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Going to a local little tourney myself tomorrow. Any tips or combos I should be using etc.? I feel pretty confident I'll do pretty good, but I'm not feeling so confident against Rosaluma. with only Greninja and Ness, Greninja is my only chance. How's our matchup with her?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, I went and beat the Starman Jr. at the zoo and went back to the mayor's office. But, now I don't have a clue what to do next. The mayor's assistant told me of a "wonder girl" that would help me, but I don't know where to go next. Was there something back at the zoo that I missed?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
So, I went and beat the Starman Jr. at the zoo and went back to the mayor's office. But, now I don't have a clue what to do next. The mayor's assistant told me of a "wonder girl" that would help me, but I don't know where to go next. Was there something back at the zoo that I missed?
That's Ana, you dummy. It's obvious. She's the only female MC that was a member of the cast, so...:079:
Try to get Lloyd before, and get ready for my most hated dungeon in the whole series. I mean it. I hate it. It was only doable thanks to a bag of magic Herbs given in Magicant that allowed me to heal without consuming all my PPs in PK Lifeups. Too bad you only get one, through...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That's Ana, you dummy. It's obvious. She's the only female MC that was a member of the cast, so...
Try to get Lloyd before, and get ready for my most hated dungeon in the whole series. I mean it. I hate it. It was only doable thanks to a bag of magic Herbs given in Magicant that allowed me to heal without consuming all my PPs in PK Lifeups. Too bad you only get one, through...
I knew that, I'm not stupid.

Turns out, I did miss one of the melodies at the zoo. This is what I've got so far:

I have Telepathy, Lifeup a, Healing a, Defense up a, Defense Down a, 4th-D Slip, and Hypnosis. I have a plastic bat for a weapon. And the Franklin Badge didn't help at all against the Starman Jr. (How do I equip it?). I also missed the second melody, the one you get in between the doll and monkey. Is that at the cemetery? Cause I don't know where else to look. In fact, I just searched the cemetery and still found nothing unusual...

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I believe from the zoo's enterance you should proceed east. You'll know if you're going the right way if you see two policemen blocking the way. When you talk to them, they stand aside and let you proceed ahead to a cave. That cave should have a mysterious pink seashell-rock thing and you should use telepathy and have your great grandfather's diary with you. That will enable you to proceed to the land of the clouds (it has an actual name, but I find cloud land to be more amusing).

Also, I recommend getting a wooden bat for $500 in Podunk's department store, though then again you won't get much use out of it since you get an aluminum bat in Merrysville for $1000, which is almost as good as the boomerang, and has better accuracy. I guess it all depends on your financial state, though you can get very valuable defensive equipment in cloud land, so make sure you get the Magic Coin ($1200) and Gold Ring ($1500). Don't get a pendant just yet, but those two items would be well worth the investment, trust me.

I knew that, I'm not stupid.

Turns out, I did miss one of the melodies at the zoo. This is what I've got so far:

I have Telepathy, Lifeup a, Healing a, Defense up a, Defense Down a, 4th-D Slip, and Hypnosis. I have a plastic bat for a weapon. And the Franklin Badge didn't help at all against the Starman Jr. (How do I equip it?). I also missed the second melody, the one you get in between the doll and monkey. Is that at the cemetery? Cause I don't know where else to look. In fact, I just searched the cemetery and still found nothing unusual...
You go to the top floor of the department store, where you are offered to buy a canary for $80. If you say no when he offers the price, he'll give it to you for free. Then, you start on the path towards your house, but turn left as soon as you can, and I think that'll bring you to the canary reserve, where there is one in the very back that you should show the canary in your inventory to, and you get the second melody.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I believe from the zoo's enterance you should proceed east. You'll know if you're going the right way if you see two policemen blocking the way. When you talk to them, they stand aside and let you proceed ahead to a cave. That cave should have a mysterious pink seashell-rock thing and you should use telepathy and have your great grandfather's diary with you. That will enable you to proceed to the land of the clouds (it has an actual name, but I find cloud land to be more amusing).

Also, I recommend getting a wooden bat for $500 in Podunk's department store, though then again you won't get much use out of it since you get an aluminum bat in Merrysville for $1000, which is almost as good as the boomerang, and has better accuracy. I guess it all depends on your financial state, though you can get very valuable defensive equipment in cloud land, so make sure you get the Magic Coin ($1200) and Gold Ring ($1500). Don't get a pendant just yet, but those two items would be well worth the investment, trust me.

You go to the top floor of the department store, where you are offered to buy a canary for $80. If you say no when he offers the price, he'll give it to you for free. Then, you start on the path towards your house, but turn left as soon as you can, and I think that'll bring you to the canary reserve, where there is one in the very back that you should show the canary in your inventory to, and you get the second melody.
I was wondering why I couldn't do anything with that thing when it was in my inventory...

Thanks man!

Last edited:
Top Bottom