• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Wow. So, is EarthBound Beginnings fairly simpler (as far as the story goes) compared to EarthBound? Also, nobody feels too sorry for Porky. When I got to fight him at the end of EarthBound, I was very happy. You finally get the chance to pound that little sucker's face into the dirt. Although, his message in Magicant did get to me a bit. I wonder how the ending of EarthBound would have been different had Ness and co. eventually become friends with him.
Well, Mother 3 wouldn't have happened, as long as he didn't relapse.

As for your question, yes, the main thing is going around and collecting the Eight Melodies for no apparent reason until you get to Magicant, and by then three could have been collected. But the first time Giegue is actually mentioned is after all the melodies have been assembled. At least Earthbound had a clearly defined antagonist figure and goal from the beginning. Mother 1 does not really. That's basically the biggest thing I've noticed.

But still, I liked it more than Earthbound actually. Maybe I found the difficulty more satisfying or something. I'm not entirely sure. But given limitations in the '80s, I cut some slack on the story.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, Mother 3 wouldn't have happened, as long as he didn't relapse.

As for your question, yes, the main thing is going around and collecting the Eight Melodies for no apparent reason until you get to Magicant, and by then three could have been collected. But the first time Giegue is actually mentioned is after all the melodies have been assembled. At least Earthbound had a clearly defined antagonist figure and goal from the beginning. Mother 1 does not really. That's basically the biggest thing I've noticed.

But still, I liked it more than Earthbound actually. Maybe I found the difficulty more satisfying or something. I'm not entirely sure. But given limitations in the '80s, I cut some slack on the story.
Ah. I won't be able to start EarthBound Beginnings until Monday at the earliest. Maybe I won't be needing as much help as I initially thought...

I wonder how this game will stack up for me (R.O.B. pun/reference :p) compared to EarthBound. I think I'll like EarthBound more, since it was my first of the series and I could really connect with the characters and enjoy the story the entire way through. But who knows, maybe EarthBound Beginnings will give me the same thing but with even more.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Finished Mother 1 today. Besides getting through Mt. Itoi by running away from everything the second run (first time because of Teddy I didn't run when it was one enemy that would be easy to take down, and grinded outside the healer's cabin to get Ninten out learn Super Healing, which is a nice fail safe), except for when EVE was in my party. I enjoyed sticking her on the enemies.

Couldn't help but feel a bit bad for Giegue. I mean, having the song sang by one of the people that raised you and it causes you such pain? The combination of hate, love, and possible guilt must have been emotionally crushing for him, especially since he would've crushed the protags if they did not sing to him. But for some reason, I do not feel the same towards Porky. Maybe because I feel that Giegue would just kill you ASAP and be done, while Porky of would toy with you for his own amusement.
I think a lot of people could sympathize a lot more with Giegue. He wasn't inherently bad at first, he just became that way. Pokey was obnoxious to begin with.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think you could make an argument that Pokey was also conditioned to be the way he was. Look at his family, the way he was raised, the way he is rejected even by you, the protagonist. He feels alone and alienated and gradually this manifests itself in the form of Porky, where he twists his childish nature and modernity together in an oppressive dictatorship.

Perhaps that's a message in and of itself by the way, something that all of the Mother games feature. The way the antagonist is conditioned to feel the way they are. In many ways, how the result of an unfortunate circumstance results in so much grief.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, looks like I'm able to start EarthBound Beginnings today. Now how do I get off the title screen?!?!?!

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Press the start button instead of the A button, fool!

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think you could make an argument that Pokey was also conditioned to be the way he was. Look at his family, the way he was raised, the way he is rejected even by you, the protagonist. He feels alone and alienated and gradually this manifests itself in the form of Porky, where he twists his childish nature and modernity together in an oppressive dictatorship.

Perhaps that's a message in and of itself by the way, something that all of the Mother games feature. The way the antagonist is conditioned to feel the way they are. In many ways, how the result of an unfortunate circumstance results in so much grief.
I guess that's true in a way. I just can't sympathize as easily with Porky though after what he did to Lucas' family on Mother 3 >:(

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Now, is how is glasses boy's name spelled? Lloyd, Loid, Lloid? What is the official spelling?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Now, is how is glasses boy's name spelled? Lloyd, Loid, Lloid? What is the official spelling?
'Loid' is his normal name yup. :grin:

@ Earthbound360 Earthbound360 -
Looking at Porky's character in depth yields very interesting results. I think the point isn't to sympathise with him but more to understand the tragedy of his making, in the same way you don't sympathise with Shylock in ''The Merchant of Venice' (his vengeful nature obviously pushes the audience away) but understand the tragedy of society that places him in a destructive, downward spiral. Porky's a beautifully made character that really exemplifies some key points of Mother 3's story. I love ALL of Porky's battle quotes, they always inspire me to think and give a lot of insight into his character. The whole thing about how long he's lived and how he's still the 'same child at heart', and his childish nature whilst WHEEZING (a very 'old person' kind of thing, or sickly) is quite the contrast. What he says makes you think, and when you think you get to the deeper parts of the game that are more subtle and I love that.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
'Loid' is his normal name yup. :grin:

@ Earthbound360 Earthbound360 -
Looking at Porky's character in depth yields very interesting results. I think the point isn't to sympathise with him but more to understand the tragedy of his making, in the same way you don't sympathise with Shylock in ''The Merchant of Venice' (his vengeful nature obviously pushes the audience away) but understand the tragedy of society that places him in a destructive, downward spiral. Porky's a beautifully made character that really exemplifies some key points of Mother 3's story. I love ALL of Porky's battle quotes, they always inspire me to think and give a lot of insight into his character. The whole thing about how long he's lived and how he's still the 'same child at heart', and his childish nature whilst WHEEZING (a very 'old person' kind of thing, or sickly) is quite the contrast. What he says makes you think, and when you think you get to the deeper parts of the game that are more subtle and I love that.
Well, guess mine is off a bit (I did "Lloyd"). If there's one thing I like about this game over EarthBound, it's that Pollyanna plays whenever I step outside! YAY!!! However, I don't like that in both games, when viewed from the side, your characters are smiling, yet when viewed from the front, they've got a straight face. :(

Oh well. Also, already one melody from my house??? Ha ha! This'll be fun.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well, guess mine is off a bit (I did "Lloyd"). If there's one thing I like about this game over EarthBound, it's that Pollyanna plays whenever I step outside! YAY!!! However, I don't like that in both games, when viewed from the side, your characters are smiling, yet when viewed from the front, they've got a straight face. :(

Oh well. Also, already one melody from my house??? Ha ha! This'll be fun.
Yeah Pollyanna is like the 'you're getting into it now!' theme of the game. Eventually 'bein friends' will become your travel partner for life. :p

And yeah, the melodies aren't like in Earthbound, they're in strange places sometimes but rarely do you have to get through some kind of ordered dungeon/boss. It's quite neat! :D

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah Pollyanna is like the 'you're getting into it now!' theme of the game. Eventually 'bein friends' will become your travel partner for life. :p

And yeah, the melodies aren't like in Earthbound, they're in strange places sometimes but rarely do you have to get through some kind of ordered dungeon/boss. It's quite neat! :D
Lol. Cool.

1. Since when did I have asthma?!?!?!

2. The controls are a little wonky, but I'm getting used to it.

3. That map is useless.

4. Bein Friends, while great, will never replace Pollyanna for me.

5. Finally, why is there no phone in the hotel???

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lol. Cool.

3. That map is useless.

Hehe, welcome to the wonderful world of NES games! The controls were a bit strange for me too, but you really do get used to them eventually for the most part.

Asthma might best be explained as Ninten's form of homesickness. Ninten, and Ninten only is a bit prone to smoke attacks in the game, like car exhaust fumes. If he gets an asthma attack, you basically won't be doing anything with him for the rest of the battle (I can't remember though if an item or one of the healing spells cures it). After the battle he's fine, you don't need to do anything other than win the battle for it to go away. So it's a more severe version of homesickness that only happens vs certain kinds of enemies every so often and only stays for the duration of that battle.

The map starts off being useless, but eventually it does start to give you an idea of where you are once you get a better idea of the world in general.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hehe, welcome to the wonderful world of NES games! The controls were a bit strange for me too, but you really do get used to them eventually for the most part.

Asthma might best be explained as Ninten's form of homesickness. Ninten, and Ninten only is a bit prone to smoke attacks in the game, like car exhaust fumes. If he gets an asthma attack, you basically won't be doing anything with him for the rest of the battle (I can't remember though if an item or one of the healing spells cures it). After the battle he's fine, you don't need to do anything other than win the battle for it to go away. So it's a more severe version of homesickness that only happens vs certain kinds of enemies every so often and only stays for the duration of that battle.

The map starts off being useless, but eventually it does start to give you an idea of where you are once you get a better idea of the world in general.
But...but...I want my Super Nintendo back!!! Lol.

Alright. And ya, I found an item on the second floor of the department store to cure asthma. I should probably buy it, along with a better bat, once I get the money. But I didn't have much time today so I saved and turned off the game.

I've also become a noob again, due to my inability to think logically. I get Lifeup A, get down to 24 HP from around 50 total, and then, despite having all my PP to recover, I go and spend $25 at the doctor's. Brilliant job, new kid...

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
By most, Lloyd is the English translation while Loid is Japanese. I honestly don't think it matters and I call him Loid since I'm more used to it.

Lol. Cool.

3. That map is useless.

1) Asthma is the equivalent to Ness's homesickness in a way. However, asthma is only triggered in certain circumstances, I believe the only enemies that can give asthma are cars and trucks when they spray fumes at you or something. The only way to counter this I think is with asthma sprays, but asthma is only at risk of happening really after you get Loid.

2) I didn't have many problems. Then again, I am fresh from Advance Wars on Wii U VC, and Advance Wars 2 on GBA, so...

3) At least you know the general geography and it doesn't take up an inventory space, but yeah. It's more useless than Earthbound's, and I found that useless to begin with.

4) Agreed. I was kinda disappointed when I got Loid for that reason.

5) ...ITOI!!!

But...but...I want my Super Nintendo back!!! Lol.

Alright. And ya, I found an item on the second floor of the department store to cure asthma. I should probably buy it, along with a better bat, once I get the money. But I didn't have much time today so I saved and turned off the game.

I've also become a noob again, due to my inability to think logically. I get Lifeup A, get down to 24 HP from around 50 total, and then, despite having all my PP to recover, I go and spend $25 at the doctor's. Brilliant job, new kid...
Still, not like you need to conserve a lot of money. You basically want to get the Wooden Bat in Podunk, and the Aluminum Bat and the Stun Gun in Merrysville. Oh yeah, and try to get either the Magic Coin or Gold Ring (preferably the Gold Ring), or even both if you have enough because both combined makes Ninten a tank from early to mid-late game alone. I didn't bother to get the Frying Pan for Ana since her attack is so low anyway (she pretty much does 1 damage unequipped against foes around Merrysville at Lv 15), but by the time you get Ana, you should have plenty of money if you aren't blowing it away.

Also, forgot to mention earlier, but in my opinion Ninten/Ana is cute. It has to rival Ness/Paula, the only other shipping I like. Most others, I'm neutral.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
By most, Lloyd is the English translation while Loid is Japanese. I honestly don't think it matters and I call him Loid since I'm more used to it.

1) Asthma is the equivalent to Ness's homesickness in a way. However, asthma is only triggered in certain circumstances, I believe the only enemies that can give asthma are cars and trucks when they spray fumes at you or something. The only way to counter this I think is with asthma sprays, but asthma is only at risk of happening really after you get Loid.

2) I didn't have many problems. Then again, I am fresh from Advance Wars on Wii U VC, and Advance Wars 2 on GBA, so...

3) At least you know the general geography and it doesn't take up an inventory space, but yeah. It's more useless than Earthbound's, and I found that useless to begin with.

4) Agreed. I was kinda disappointed when I got Loid for that reason.

5) ...ITOI!!!

Still, not like you need to conserve a lot of money. You basically want to get the Wooden Bat in Podunk, and the Aluminum Bat and the Stun Gun in Merrysville. Oh yeah, and try to get either the Magic Coin or Gold Ring (preferably the Gold Ring), or even both if you have enough because both combined makes Ninten a tank from early to mid-late game alone. I didn't bother to get the Frying Pan for Ana since her attack is so low anyway (she pretty much does 1 damage unequipped against foes around Merrysville at Lv 15), but by the time you get Ana, you should have plenty of money if you aren't blowing it away.

Also, forgot to mention earlier, but in my opinion Ninten/Ana is cute. It has to rival Ness/Paula, the only other shipping I like. Most others, I'm neutral.
Lol. Thanks for all that. But ya, I pretty much find both these games to have great pairings with Ninten/Ana and Ness/Paula. Don't spoil for me how Ninten/Ana goes, as I'd like to see how it compares to Ness/Paula (which was really cool).

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Lol. Thanks for all that. But ya, I pretty much find both these games to have great pairings with Ninten/Ana and Ness/Paula. Don't spoil for me how Ninten/Ana goes, as I'd like to see how it compares to Ness/Paula (which was really cool).
You're welcome. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you. But you do have to get Teddy in order to play that scene, so when you reach Ellay, I can tell you how to get him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You're welcome. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you. But you do have to get Teddy in order to play that scene, so when you reach Ellay, I can tell you how to get him.
Cool. I'll let you know when I get there. Thanks again. I'm also wondering, is it possible to keep swapping between Teddy and Lloyd? As in, I leave one of them at (place), and have the other one join me. Then later on, when I want the one I left behind again, I can go get them and leave the one I had in my party at (place)?

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Cool. Thanks again. I'm also wondering, is it possible to keep swapping between Teddy and Lloyd? As in, I leave one of them at (place), and have the other one join me. Then later on, when I want the one I left behind again, I can go get them and leave the one I had in my party at (place)?
No. Teddy is actually optional, but he helps defeat enemies on Mt. Itoi since most of his stats are higher than Ninten's and is good for grinding outside the healer's cabin on the mountain, but Loid is required for the end. After Teddy leaves (I will not spoil it), then you cannot get him back. And you can't get Loid back until Teddy leaves permanently.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No. Teddy is actually optional, but he helps defeat enemies on Mt. Itoi since most of his stats are higher than Ninten's and is good for grinding outside the healer's cabin on the mountain, but Loid is required for the end. After Teddy leaves (I will not spoil it), then you cannot get him back. And you can't get Loid back until Teddy leaves permanently.
Alright thanks for the info..

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys just found out that Satoru Iwata passed away yesterday from Bile Duct Cancer. May he rest in peace and condelences to his family.
Really? That SUCKS!

R.I.P.

Condolences to his family and all that knew him well. This is a very saddening time. :'(

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Hey guys just found out that Satoru Iwata passed away yesterday from Bile Duct Cancer. May he rest in peace and condelences to his family.
*Salutes*. May he rest in peace. He certainly deserves it after all he did. I give my condolences to any who knew him well, his friends, and family.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Didn't he help make EarthBound as well? Dang, this guy will be missed.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
@ Luco Luco

Oh definitely, Porky is a very deep and intricate character. I love how he's a twisted child at heart with the wisdom and malice of an adult. And I know he had a rough past, but he just messed with so many guys I sympathize with in not just a structural, but a personal way that I just love to hate him. His fate is pretty... dark though.

And on the subject of EBB/0, screw weapons. Use boomerangs for 90% of the game. They outdamage any character specific weapon aside from the last ones in the game.

And Iwata... geez, you will be missed. He did indeed have a hand in EB. We will forever treasure your efforts good sir.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Thought you guys might appreciate the custom I just made of my favorite alt.

Also without Iwata there's a good chance EarthBound doesn't get completed, iirc.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

D

Deleted member

Satoru Iwata just passed away. I think he saved EarthBound.

This is such sad news. :cry:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Sad day today. He helped EarthBound by reprogramming it from scratch so that it would work properly. Without his help, many of us would have never experienced the joy that is EarthBound. May he rest in peace.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah he's basically the reason we're all here today under a franchise that we can swear is art. His dedication brought that about, and I'm truly thankful for that. If I had the resources and knew how to draw I would make something now, but I hope he gets a tribute from someone using this little guy. :ness:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I wish I knew what music to put on to represent exactly how I'm feeling today. I'd consider gathering tracks from everything he worked on but I can only think of a few franchises that I'm 100% (or near-100%) sure he helped, including EB, Kirby, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario and AC.

Right now I have a track I think is suitable but not until I've got the other tracks, because it's more comforting and represents hope.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'll get a drawing up within the next few days for Iwata.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The samus mains want to know why we think we beat them in the MU (/why our higher level Ness mains don't have trouble in this MU). I don't have anywhere near enough experience to tell them. =P

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Without Iwata and his expertise, so many things wouldn't have happened. EarthBound, Smash Bros, Kirby, Pokemon Gold/Silver and Stadium, and too many others to list. Without Iwata, some of us might not even be here right now. We owe so much to this man, and it's so much of a shame to see him go. But, all we can do now is honor Satoru Iwata and his legacy that he's left behind. I'm sure that playing EarthBound will feel very different for a lot of us. By remembering Iwata and what he's done, it'll be like he's not even gone, right?

THANK YOU IWATA

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I should really get started on mine...

Probably going to after dinner...

Last edited:
Top Bottom