• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I came first at a tournament yesterday!... Because I dropped Ness.

It feels bad letting go of my favourite character in the game but as more people kept playing against my Ness I realised that people were able to read me pretty well regardless of how I tried to mixup my game and it doesn't help that the recovery can be gimped easily by competent opponents.

I'll keep working on Ness on the side but for now Yoshi is taking the throne for a while, Dunkasaurus Rex is amazing.
Awwww Zeddy. Ah well, it's fine, and you still repped him fine and did well I think, and the important thing is the congratulations on your win!!! =D

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I don't think it hurts mixing up your characters. I mainly use Ness, but depending on who I'm fighting, I often switch to Marth or Robin.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
I came first at a tournament yesterday!... Because I dropped Ness.

It feels bad letting go of my favourite character in the game but as more people kept playing against my Ness I realised that people were able to read me pretty well regardless of how I tried to mixup my game and it doesn't help that the recovery can be gimped easily by competent opponents.

I'll keep working on Ness on the side but for now Yoshi is taking the throne for a while, Dunkasaurus Rex is amazing.
Don't worry about it man congrats on the win ! Just play who you have the most fun with.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Luco Luco I have exciting news

Whilst we struggled with the stream all day yesterday, we did manage a 5v5 crew battle (I think it was recorded, definitely not streamed).

Canberra came out on top. Wave both won the tournament and clutched out the crew battle, I beat Kira in the crew battle, Shaya was the only real threat from your fraudulent city. I expect to see you back in the country ASAP repping your city and doing damage control because your crew didn't stand a chance (real talk: I hope to meet you sometime next year or whenever you get back).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Luco Luco I have exciting news

Whilst we struggled with the stream all day yesterday, we did manage a 5v5 crew battle (I think it was recorded, definitely not streamed).

Canberra came out on top. Wave both won the tournament and clutched out the crew battle, I beat Kira in the crew battle, Shaya was the only real threat from your fraudulent city. I expect to see you back in the country ASAP repping your city and doing damage control because your crew didn't stand a chance (real talk: I hope to meet you sometime next year or whenever you get back).
I'll be only so happy to show everyone why NSW is still easily able to compete in the ring once I'm back! ;)

*inter-state banter*

Also Wave beasting through ACT scene at the moment doesn't surprise me, tell him I'm super happy for him and that I expected nothing less! :D

In the meantime, let me know if there's anything you're having trouble with in particular/upload the vids. I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

I'll be back in early-mid November this year, so I still have a little while out yet ahah.

I can't believe I'll be able to drink legally then. :laugh:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Guys, all of these "PKF iz 2 borked wtf" topics are making me want to shoot myself.

Like seriously, do people even try anymore?

Noa.

Smash Master
Guys, all of these "PKF iz 2 borked wtf" topics are making me want to shoot myself.

Like seriously, do people even try anymore?
If I were a mod I would make a list of common replies to the following types of threads:

WTF PK FIRE BORKEN?

Ness's stages?

Ness's matchups are hard I need a secondary

I need help with (x) matchup

Ness Pk Fire lag cancel technique

I keep getting juggled

I would auto lock any of those threads and just post links to the five other threads we have discussing them.

For Glory warriors complaining about PK Fire is the most egregious of these threads.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
So at my local last friday I played around with Ness's Lasting PK Thunder in friendlies and it's so fun gimping with it :D

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
If I were a mod I would make a list of common replies to the following types of threads:

WTF PK FIRE BORKEN?

Ness's stages?

I keep getting juggled

I would auto lock any of those threads and just post links to the five other threads we have discussing them.

For Glory warriors complaining about PK Fire is the most egregious of these threads.
Well, the only problem I ever have with Ness is the fact that I can't properly control PK Thunder with the 3DS controls:sadsheep:
And I'm mostly a 3DS peasant, only getting acess to a Wii U when I go my friend's.
It's difficult and makes me a sad sheep. ( I ended up falling off the stage multiple times already because it went in direction not desired, Welp.)
The Wii U controller is so much better, though,(I still fail sometimes, though haha) so I see that as the 3DS controls being bad.
I actually like how Ness works in general.
Using Ness's PK Fire like I use Robin's Arcfire (Stun with it+combo) is working well so far, though I haven't played with Ness as much as I play with Robin. Heck it seems to work better with Ness than Robin, because Ness has some good combos, imo. (And they are pretty too! All sparkly and stuff:cheep:)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
*Wave beasting through ACT and NSW (frauds)

The moment I became a good Ness player is when I stopped using PKF. Also, RAR bair is my new best friend.

Noa.

Smash Master
So at my local last friday I played around with Ness's Lasting PK Thunder in friendlies and it's so fun gimping with it :D
I will be making a thread that goes into intricate detail comparing lasting pk thunder and default pk thunder soon. What's holding me back is finding time, and I want to record footage. :V

Shaymikyu

Well, the only problem I ever have with Ness is the fact that I can't properly control PK Thunder with the 3DS controls:sadsheep:
And I'm mostly a 3DS peasant, only getting acess to a Wii U when I go my friend's.
It's difficult and makes me a sad sheep. ( I ended up falling off the stage multiple times already because it went in direction not desired, Welp.)
The Wii U controller is so much better, though,(I still fail sometimes, though haha) so I see that as the 3DS controls being bad.
I actually like how Ness works in general.
Using Ness's PK Fire like I use Robin's Arcfire (Stun with it+combo) is working well so far, though I haven't played with Ness as much as I play with Robin. Heck it seems to work better with Ness than Robin, because Ness has some good combos, imo. (And they are pretty too! All sparkly and stuff:cheep:)
I should probably actually switch Robin in Ness around in my listed mains because I barely use Ness in the 3DS version do that reason.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360

WTF PK FIRE BORKEN?

Ness's stages?

I keep getting juggled

Lol, while they are redundant topics, I wouldn't as hard on those guys. They just have a genuine question, though they did fail to search well.

People who call Ness broken because PKF death combo are bad and didn't search.

Also, on the note of bair, I feel like I never edgeguard with it. I pretty much always go with nair and fair since they have lasting hitboxes. I do bair if they put themselves in a really obvious situation though, but I don't even seem to use bair because of its short hitbox. Idk, should i change that?

I do love bair for neutral and shield pressure though. I've been KOing with it more and more lately.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lol, while they are redundant topics, I wouldn't as hard on those guys. They just have a genuine question, though they did fail to search well.

Also, on the note of bair, I feel like I never edgeguard with it. I pretty much always go with nair and fair since they have lasting hitboxes. I do bair if they put themselves in a really obvious situation though, but I don't even seem to use bair because of its short hitbox. Idk, should i change that?

I do love bair for neutral and shield pressure though. I've been KOing with it more and more lately.
Bair is just good because of it's obnoxiously short animation, it's like even if they AD it you can punish them for it. :p

I think it can be used for edge-guarding well, but I haven't really had a chance to test it on competitive players.

I wonder what our best option for dealing with Kong Cyclone is...? Nair?

Noa.

Smash Master

So ok when we are ledge guarding we have two great options if we want to get a kill sub 100 percent; bair and dsmash. Nair is easier to land than dsmash or bair but it doesn't kill as early.

And I'm talking only about ledge guarding, not edge guarding. When I'm edge guarding I only use fair, nair, and uair.

When I'm trying to punish my opponent from getting on stage from the ledge I like to use bair because it kills earlier than nair and it's easier to land than dsmash.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
So ok when we are ledge guarding we have two great options if we want to get a kill sub 100 percent; bair and dsmash. Nair is easier to land than dsmash or bair but it doesn't kill as early.

And I'm talking only about ledge guarding, not edge guarding. When I'm edge guarding I only use fair, nair, and uair.

When I'm trying to punish my opponent from getting on stage from the ledge I like to use bair because it kills earlier than nair and it's easier to land than dsmash.
Oh oh, I know what you mean now. Funny, I've neer really differentiated between edge and ledgeguarding. I just say edge for both scenarios lol.

One thing to note however is that bair loses its "safe on shield" property if the opponent times a neutral ledge get up well. They get up, shield, and since attacks don't push people off of ledges anymore on block, bair will leave you free. I use bair in these situations too, but sparingly. I feel like it really only beats ledge getup attack, but anything beats those.

Noa.

Smash Master
Oh oh, I know what you mean now. Funny, I've neer really differentiated between edge and ledgeguarding. I just say edge for both scenarios lol.

One thing to note however is that bair loses its "safe on shield" property if the opponent times a neutral ledge get up well. They get up, shield, and since attacks don't push people off of ledges anymore on block, bair will leave you free. I use bair in these situations too, but sparingly. I feel like it really only beats ledge getup attack, but anything beats those.
When someone gets up from the ledge, there is a window of vulnerability of about four frames. Thats when I'm landing bair on them when they do a ledge getup. Or trying to anyways.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I wonder what our best option for dealing with Kong Cyclone is...? Nair?
Well, aerial Kong Cyclone (the only one you're likely to see because of platform-canceling) has super armor from frames 15 to 36 iirc. I don't know a whole lot about the move aside from Thinkaman's frame data pastebin and seeing it a few times on stream, but do characters get put into any extra hitstun during the middle of the attack (not counting the very first hit)? If not, there could be a chance to get a fast aerial out between when the super armor ends (36) and when the last strong hit comes out (41). Anyone else here with experience against custom-DK who might be able to elaborate on this?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
When someone gets up from the ledge, there is a window of vulnerability of about four frames. Thats when I'm landing bair on them when they do a ledge getup. Or trying to anyways.
Seems a bit tight of a window. You'll get handled if you miss the timing. I more often just go for the grab if I know they'll do a neutral getup.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I have only used Ness in tournament so far, and plan on continuing so. I have never felt limited by him.
Likewise. I've never used anyone but Ness in a tournament match and don't plan on changing that.

Also guys I found that I really like Castle Siege as Ness. I like the 2nd transformation against anyone in the cast, Ness can control the transformation incredibly well by staying in the area around the statues on the bottom. Plus Fair chains and Fthrows can get you early KOs. I think the 1st is a good one against most characters too, notably Diddy, in my experience. A grab during the transformation can also net you early KOs. Seriously, give CS a thought.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'd like Castle Siege more if it weren't for the awful transformation phases. You'd think they'd fix that from Brawl to this game.
Also, I'm not such a fan of the first formation. Walls seem to hate you, cramped, too many obstructive platforms, etc.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm not a fan of Duck Hunt, I feel like sh*t is always getting in my way. Either the ducks are getting in the way of PKT, the dog is messing something up... bleh. Like it's good for Ness but just not me personally. Something I gotta learn, I guess.

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I'm actually a bit curious about Castle Siege as a CP for Ness. I see various people suggest striking/banning Town and City against characters with good vertical kill moves, even though the height from the base is only slightly lower than that on FD, among other stages (the platforms might have something to do with that too). While it's temporary, Castle Siege's first transformation has a ceiling height comparable to that of Town and City's, with two platforms to help out. I remember Dabuz getting one or two early U-air kills against Will during this transformation on Team Sp00ky's stream over the weekend, seemingly like how he would've killed someone off the top on Town and City or Halberd (Dabuz did even more of that on Halberd lol). Obviously the second transformation's walk-offs help Ness out a lot, and the third is a pseudo-FD that tilts, meaning the height to the ceiling is a little more variable. But if Ness is just as susceptible to being killed vertically during the first transformation as on Town and City, could Castle Siege still be considered one of Ness' "best" stages for counter-picking?

I'm starting to regret getting used to the Pro Controller now.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh, another thing I don't like about Castle Siege is how the third stage form tilts. As if PKT2 wasn't hard enough to aim already. in addition to this, the uneven terrain kills PKF in a lot of cases. Really wish Ness would learn to shoot this baby from them hip >_>

Tikao

Smash Ace
Castle Siege is a weird stage, it is always there, it has always been a counterpick stage, but nobody picks it
i feel like you would get a massive advantage just by learning how to play on that stage, so you can pick it against people, who haven't played much of this stage

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Castle Siege is a weird stage, it is always there, it has always been a counterpick stage, but nobody picks it
i feel like you would get a massive advantage just by learning how to play on that stage, so you can pick it against people, who haven't played much of this stage
I feel like we had a natural aversion to it since Brawl's walk-offs. Considering the near-constant KB on Fthrow and the distance you can control more easily with Bthrow, it might be a very good stage for us. Kinda. A few areas on it would be a bit sucky to be around, I feel like the slant on the first transformation messes slightly with our ability to be as safe as possible on block, for instance.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Duck hunt and castle siege are my favorite stages to cp. then Delfino.
Duck Hunt, you say? Curious!

I think I'll like Castle Siege once I get to play around with it a little, in the meantime though I love Town and City, Delfino and for some reason Skyloft.... probably because everyone around me is so unfamiliar with it. :laugh:

Shaymikyu

I like Castle Siege, but I prefer using Marth to Ness there. I feel like Ness flows better for me on simple but platformed stages.

Meccs

@Meccs_
A big part of picking stages like CS or Skylift is trying to mess with your opponents gameplan. I do significantly better on those gimmicky stages against my region's best players than the standard stages. I'll go from getting 50% the whole match on SV or something to a close game or even a win on CS.

Last edited:

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Is anyone going to SmashCon? Looks awesome!!
Also I am wondering if there is a Ness Skype chat (or any group chat)? If so my Skype is Fumouffu! :DD This weekend I am going to this large tourney in Chicago, and would love to keep in touch with you guys during it! Wish me luck as this is the first time I am being sponsored for it!

Representing Ness all the way! PK Let's Go!!

Also, to add into convo earlier my fav CP is Delfino! Ness can kill early, and survive longer. I tested this CP a lot during Apex and it worked in my favor most of the time.
CS is okay too, I personally don't like it but I think Ness takes advantage on the first and second transformation (although with the first transformation it is very easy for other characters to take advantage of that).
DH is always 50/50 for me. I actually CP Ness' there as well as been CP there by Ness' Ironic, right? The low ceiling is nice for bthrow kills, although typically most of my kills are from uair so the high ceiling tends to not work in my favor as much. I get bair killings often too so that does work well for Ness.
I guess it just seriously depends. I think for most part it works for Ness, though.
Sometimes other characters maneuver better on a larger stage like DH, though which makes it hard for Ness (i.e. Sonic).

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
Friend of mine has a lot of hate for CS, so I'll usually pick Skyloft, which works out decently. I'll probably be doing that in our Bi-weekly Friday! :)
Goal for the week is to work on my Link matchup, still have such a rough time with that.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
Is anyone going to SmashCon? Looks awesome!!
Also I am wondering if there is a Ness Skype chat (or any group chat)? If so my Skype is Fumouffu! :DD This weekend I am going to this large tourney in Chicago, and would love to keep in touch with you guys during it! Wish me luck as this is the first time I am being sponsored for it!

Representing Ness all the way! PK Let's Go!!

Also, to add into convo earlier my fav CP is Delfino! Ness can kill early, and survive longer. I tested this CP a lot during Apex and it worked in my favor most of the time.
CS is okay too, I personally don't like it but I think Ness takes advantage on the first and second transformation (although with the first transformation it is very easy for other characters to take advantage of that).
DH is always 50/50 for me. I actually CP Ness' there as well as been CP there by Ness' Ironic, right? The low ceiling is nice for bthrow kills, although typically most of my kills are from uair so the high ceiling tends to not work in my favor as much. I get bair killings often too so that does work well for Ness.
I guess it just seriously depends. I think for most part it works for Ness, though.
Sometimes other characters maneuver better on a larger stage like DH, though which makes it hard for Ness (i.e. Sonic).
Good luck this weekend! And a skype group would definitely be pretty cool if there isn't one already.

Top Bottom