• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
i wasn't realy active for like around one month i think, so was there anything big/awesome/relevant and new that happened regarding ness?

like some awesome advanced pk-flash technique, which makes pk-flash the best move in the game now?
We found a way to make PK Flash home in on targets, and it's fully charged on frame 3.

Tikao

Smash Ace
We found a way to make PK Flash home in on targets, and it's fully charged on frame 3.
does it have a chance to instantly kill your opponents, who get hit by pk-flash using this tech, like in earthbound?

also on another note, mother 4 looks pretty nice, i remember seeing and reading alot about it when they started the project, but then it seemed like nothing happened and they stopped, that was years ago.
but glad to see that mother 4 is still a thing

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
does it have a chance to instantly kill your opponents, who get hit by pk-flash using this tech, like in earthbound?

also on another note, mother 4 looks pretty nice, i remember seeing and reading alot about it when they started the project, but then it seemed like nothing happened and they stopped, that was years ago.
but glad to see that mother 4 is still a thing
Sometimes, it mostly makes them cry.

And Mother 4 got delayed until Winter of last year, then got delayed again until June of this year. REALLY hoping it's ready by the proposed due date this time.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Sometimes, it mostly makes them cry.

And Mother 4 got delayed until Winter of last year, then got delayed again until June of this year. REALLY hoping it's ready by the proposed due date this time.
Well, the guys who made the Mother 3 translation are working in this game, and I remember that the translation took quite some time, but heck if it wasn't a very well made one, so I think they want to polish Mother 4 until it's perfect. If the the resulting game is something that will make me stay awake until 5 a.m playing, I don't mind waiting. :v
It seems like they've been working on Mother 4 for 5 years already (and the trailer sure shows that, imo), all while knowing they won't receive any money for that, that's why I won't complain, too.
Gotta say these guys are pretty awesome

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, the guys who made the Mother 3 translation are working in this game, and I remember that the translation took quite some time, but heck if it wasn't a very well made one, so I think they want to polish Mother 4 until it's perfect. If the the resulting game is something that will make me stay awake until 5 a.m playing, I don't mind waiting. :v
It seems like they've been working on Mother 4 for 5 years already (and the trailer sure shows that, imo), all while knowing they won't receive any money for that, that's why I won't complain, too.
Gotta say these guys are pretty awesome
Oh I'm fine with waiting for it, I have to re-beat Mother 3 and beat Citizens of Earth before then anyways. I'm just really excited for it is all.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I still need to struggle through beat Mother 1 before Mother 4 comes out.

Elezir

Oh I'm fine with waiting for it, I have to re-beat Mother 3 and beat Citizens of Earth before then anyways. I'm just really excited for it is all.
It's alright.:cheep:Everyone is.

As a bonus, I found fanart of Mother 4 already.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
There's something I've been wondering though. Is Zack not a mainstay in your party? I thought he was, but it seems like Leo is the most relevant 4th.

Tikao

Smash Ace
i was realy sceptical when i heared somebody want's to make a mother fangame, i never thought it would be like the mother games we know and love, but it looks pretty nice, and if they take 5 years to make this game, then it shouldn't realy feel rushed, a good game takes time

it took nintendo 5 years to develope mother 2 afaik, i would rather wait 10 years or the rest of my life to play an awesome new mother game rather than waiting 1 year and have a not so good one

nintendo spit in our faces and abandoned us mother guys, so being able to play a good mother 4 is pretty awesome

Last edited:

Elezir

There's something I've been wondering though. Is Zack not a mainstay in your party? I thought he was, but it seems like Leo is the most relevant 4th.
If you look around the site, ye, it seems like he may be just a temporary party member, at most.

Some people think he may follow Claus footsteps.

Not that I care, anyway, Leo seems to be cooler :cool:
No, really, he can ride a motorcycle, that's really nice.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
If you look around the site, ye, it seems like he may be just a temporary party member, at most.

Some people think he may follow Claus footsteps.

Not that I care, anyway, Leo seems to be cooler :cool:
No, really, he can ride a motorcycle, that's really nice.
I'm pretty sure he'll end up like Claus. I mean, a rough and tumble brother, going out on his own to deal with this huge threat which is probably too big for him to deal with alone, seems to be somewhat overconfident due to his success, and these Modern Men aren't messing around...I wouldn't be surprised if he got brainwashed like Claus.

Yeah, Leo ftw. I love how Travis is a subversion of your typical hero though, just a kid who wants to be average and stay in the shadow of his brother. Definitely avoiding any RPG cliches, i like it.

Shaymikyu

Seeing as Leo has a profile card on the site and not Zach, I'm guessing he'll be temporary. Mother 3 did some things like that where you had characters treated like true party members and not guests who weren't the main 4.
I'm pretty sure he'll end up like Claus. I mean, a rough and tumble brother, going out on his own to deal with this huge threat which is probably too big for him to deal with alone, seems to be somewhat overconfident due to his success, and these Modern Men aren't messing around...I wouldn't be surprised if he got brainwashed like Claus.

Yeah, Leo ftw. I love how Travis is a subversion of your typical hero though, just a kid who wants to be average and stay in the shadow of his brother. Definitely avoiding any RPG cliches, i like it.
I think it'd be too obvious, honestly, considering they did it once before.
Even if he does die or something happens to him, I don't think they'll go completely the same route as Claus. I know the Mother series has had plot similarities before (the first two both involving collecting melodies, for starters), but I can't see them making him a full-on Claus knock-off.

EDIT: And I'm liking Travis from his description. I think I see even more of myself in him than in Lucas.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Seeing as Leo has a profile card on the site and not Zach, I'm guessing he'll be temporary. Mother 3 did some things like that where you had characters treated like true party members and not guests who weren't the main 4.

I think it'd be too obvious, honestly, considering they did it once before.
Even if he does die or something happens to him, I don't think they'll go completely the same route as Claus. I know the Mother series has had plot similarities before (the first two both involving collecting melodies, for starters), but I can't see them making him a full-on Claus knock-off.

EDIT: And I'm liking Travis from his description. I think I see even more of myself in him than in Lucas.
Fair enough, i agree it'd be too obvious, but i'm just saying, i won't be surprised if he goes a similar route.

As for Travis, i can see more people resonating with him by seeing him in their selves rather than they can with Lucas, but i still resonate more with Lucas. I used to be a crybaby myself, lol. But i definitely like Travis's character regardless.

I'm just wondering how they're going to showcase Travis's personality if they do stick with the "Character in place of the leader of the party is silent for however long they retain the role" that the franchise constantly upholds. Mother 3 did have segments where Lucas wasn't in that position so we could see his personality for ourselves through his dialogue, and even when he was, he did have notable expressions described every here and there so that we could basically see how he acts and such. Plus there's just interpretation from the actions he does that hint of how he is (like how when he willingly goes off on an adventure to stop the Pigmasks probably shows how he may be more brave and adventurous compared to how he was in the beginning of the game).

Shaymikyu

Fair enough, i agree it'd be too obvious, but i'm just saying, i won't be surprised if he goes a similar route.

As for Travis, i can see more people resonating with him by seeing him in their selves rather than they can with Lucas, but i still resonate more with Lucas. I used to be a crybaby myself, lol. But i definitely like Travis's character regardless.

I'm just wondering how they're going to showcase Travis's personality if they do stick with the "Character in place of the leader of the party is silent for however long they retain the role" that the franchise constantly upholds. Mother 3 did have segments where Lucas wasn't in that position so we could see his personality for ourselves through his dialogue, and even when he was, he did have notable expressions described every here and there so that we could basically see how he acts and such. Plus there's just interpretation from the actions he does that hint of how he is (like how when he willingly goes off on an adventure to stop the Pigmasks probably shows how he may be more brave and adventurous compared to how he was in the beginning of the game).
Lucas is one of my favorite characters of all time and resonated with me a lot (I'm a bit of a crybaby too). I just meant that I related to Travis having his head in the clouds according to his description.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Lucas is one of my favorite characters of all time and resonated with me a lot (I'm a bit of a crybaby too). I just meant that I related to Travis having his head in the clouds according to his description.
Ah, fair enough, i can agree with that aswell, i'm a daydreamer too. XD

Lucas is easily my favorite Nintendo Protagonist, probably my favorite protagonist ever honestly, the only one second to him is Shulk from Xenoblade since he's so fleshed out and is relatable through being a realist and a bit of a lab boy, lol. With all the crap Lucas goes through, and yet he never loses his resolve to save the world and do what's right, it's like...wow. Shulk's somewhat similar to him in that aspects (they're similar in alot of other ways, but i won't get into that), but i personally resonate with Lucas more than Shulk, so yeah.

Shaymikyu

I need to play Xenoblade still, but you hit the nail on the head for why I adore Lucas so much (and why I was heartbroken he was axed this time).

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I need to play Xenoblade still, but you hit the nail on the head for why I adore Lucas so much (and why I was heartbroken he was axed this time).
Same, i like, legit. cried when he got cut (yes and i'm not ashamed to say it). Mother gets enough crap as it is, and this just felt like injustice. : \

If you loved M3, you'll definitely love Xenoblade. I've always said M3 feels like the Xenoblade before Xenoblade actually came out, and the 2 have alot of similarities, both plot wise and concerning the games themselves in general. The Premises are both similar, and the main characters actually have relatively fleshed out personalities and such, unlike most protagonists, and they definitely both know suffering. I just finished the plot the other day (watched an LP), and Xenoblade barely beat out M3 as my favorite RPG ever (M3 is barely behind it, i still love you tho M3). It feels like Mother 3, but on a much grander scale honestly. Also, it has one thing that M3 lacks plot wise.
That being differing morality when it comes to the antagonists, it's not all black and white like it was concerning Porky vs. the Main characters, You'll actually feel bad for some of the villains.

If you loved M3, i highly recommend Xenoblade for sure.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Hearing all the Amiibo stories is making me genuinely frightened that Ness is going to sell out within minutes, before I even know he's up for preorder... I hope those scalpers get the most deformed, shoddy Amiibos on the market. Oh, who am I kidding- people will probably shell out hundreds for the defective ones.
Same, i like, legit. cried when he got cut (yes and i'm not ashamed to say it). Mother gets enough crap as it is, and this just felt like injustice. : \

If you loved M3, you'll definitely love Xenoblade. I've always said M3 feels like the Xenoblade before Xenoblade actually came out, and the 2 have alot of similarities, both plot wise and concerning the games themselves in general. The Premises are both similar, and the main characters actually have relatively fleshed out personalities and such, unlike most protagonists, and they definitely both know suffering. I just finished the plot the other day (watched an LP), and Xenoblade barely beat out M3 as my favorite RPG ever (M3 is barely behind it, i still love you tho M3). It feels like Mother 3, but on a much grander scale honestly. Also, it has one thing that M3 lacks plot wise.
That being differing morality when it comes to the antagonists, it's not all black and white like it was concerning Porky vs. the Main characters, You'll actually feel bad for some of the villains.

If you loved M3, i highly recommend Xenoblade for sure.
I have plans to get Xenoblade 3D already, most likely at Christmas so I can ask for the system with it. Shulk and the Xenoblade content in SSB has already endeared to me.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Hearing all the Amiibo stories is making me genuinely frightened that Ness is going to sell out within minutes, before I even know he's up for preorder... I hope those scalpers get the most deformed, shoddy Amiibos on the market. Oh, who am I kidding- people will probably shell out hundreds for the defective ones.

I have plans to get Xenoblade 3D already, most likely at Christmas so I can ask for the system with it. Shulk and the Xenoblade content in SSB has already endeared to me.
Agreed, i seriously hope i can pre-order a Ness amiibo. If it goes on sale while i'm in school and can't get to the store, i'm gonna be annoyed. I barely got a pre-order for Shulk the day after he went online for sales for his second wave of amiibos, since i went to the store and they told me they got extra confirmed to arrive in stock which apparently no one knows about. I'm still waiting 2 months for him, hoping he doesn't get canceled, he should arrive at my house. Hoping i don't get a derpy looking one too.

That's good to hear, too bad you gotta wait awhile to play it though. Whenever you get to it though, i recommend watching this LP with it if you want 100%: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP

It's practically the best Xenoblade LP on youtube honestly. Also, whatever you do, avoid the Mechon trophies for Smash, it'll spoil alot of stuff for you.

Shaymikyu

I'm avoiding spoilers because I'd rather experience it myself (though I may use guides), but thank you still. And yes, I've been told to not read the Wii U trophy descriptions, so I already have been.

And I missed Shulk, though I know someone who got a spare who might send it my way eventually. I live in a small town, so maybe I'll get lucky, but that Gamestop gets a ton of business when something hype-y comes out... I'm hoping they'll limit the Amiibos to 1-2 per customer of each kind for this wave.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'm avoiding spoilers because I'd rather experience it myself (though I may use guides), but thank you still. And yes, I've been told to not read the Wii U trophy descriptions, so I already have been.

And I missed Shulk, though I know someone who got a spare who might send it my way eventually. I live in a small town, so maybe I'll get lucky, but that Gamestop gets a ton of business when something hype-y comes out... I'm hoping they'll limit the Amiibos to 1-2 per customer of each kind for this wave.
Speaking of the 1-2 customer for one amiibo deal, for some reason, i never heard or saw a Lucario pass by the Toys R Us near my house. If they did, it wasn't listed on the site for whatever reason, it was weird. I bought a Fox Amiibo off of Ebay the other day for 20 bucks, so it's nice having it with my Bowser on top of my Computer desk, and another good training partner. Here's hoping i can add Shulk and Ness to my collection (And Mewtwo, if he gets one).

Shaymikyu

I've literally never seen an Amiibo in stores aside from Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and SOMETIMES Samus or Zelda. I've seen racks labelled "Wii Fit Trainer" and the like, but no physical Amiibos.

Elezir

I know getting a Robin and Ness amiibos will be impossible for me, so I'm just going to sob in some corner. :sadsheep:There's no Gamestop at all in my country, heck, we didn't even receive wave 1 yet, and finding a store that may pre-order ship stuff to my country is complicated, to say the least.

Anyway, since we are talking about the characters, I'll say I liked Ness's character. yes, Ness.
That Magicant part was such a strong part in the game for me. Seeing stuff Ness felt guilty or scared about said more about him than words would ever do. Even more because in my childhood I never noticed that kind of deep stuff, such as what the Homesick status, that only Ness can have, really meant, and just got these "hidden" messages after I replayed the game.

Fun fact: Remember when Pokey talks with Ness at the crazy blue-city? That one time when he looks like he wants to be "friends" again but then proceeds to make fun of you? In the Original version (Japanese) Pokey honestly wanted to make up with Ness and asked if they could be friends again, but it's hinted that Ness gives him the silent treatment and he gets upset and runs off to become the 'ultimate villain'. Funnily enough, in Magicant, Ness finds Pokey. Now in the English version there's nothing of note in Pokey's dialogue, but I'm curious as what the Japanese version actually says.

If you think about that, what happens in Mother 3 could be potentially Ness's fault.

Don't get me wrong, Lucas had way better characterization, even if I can't totally relate to that myself (I probably relate to Travis better, from what I read of his profile), and his delevopment during the game was superb, but theses bits about Ness were really, really meaningful, imo, as Earthbound doesn't seem the type to have such deep and emotional stuff hidden between the craziness and goofness. Mother 3 on the other hand already laid what's it was about at the beginning of the game.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Even though Lucas is my favorite, Ness has really grown on me too. He had more development than I expected in EB,
especially with Magicant,
to say nothing of that cute sprite of his.

Paula is still my favorite EB/Mother 2 character, though.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I know getting a Robin and Ness amiibos will be impossible for me, so I'm just going to sob in some corner. :sadsheep:There's no Gamestop at all in my country, heck, we didn't even receive wave 1 yet, and finding a store that may pre-order ship stuff to my country is complicated, to say the least.

Anyway, since we are talking about the characters, I'll say I liked Ness's character. yes, Ness.
That Magicant part was such a strong part in the game for me. Seeing stuff Ness felt guilty or scared about said more about him than words would ever do. Even more because in my childhood I never noticed that kind of deep stuff, such as what the Homesick status, that only Ness can have, really meant, and just got these "hidden" messages after I replayed the game.

Fun fact: Remember when Pokey talks with Ness at the crazy blue-city? That one time when he looks like he wants to be "friends" again but then proceeds to make fun of you? In the Original version (Japanese) Pokey honestly wanted to make up with Ness and asked if they could be friends again, but it's hinted that Ness gives him the silent treatment and he gets upset and runs off to become the 'ultimate villain'. Funnily enough, in Magicant, Ness finds Pokey. Now in the English version there's nothing of note in Pokey's version, but I'm curious as what the Japanese version actually says.

If you think about that, what happens in Mother 3 could be potentially Ness's fault.

Don't get me wrong, Lucas had way better characterization, even if I can't totally relate to that myself (I probably relate to Travis better, from what I read of his profile), and his delevopment during the game was superb, but theses bits about Ness were really, really meaningful, imo, as Earthbound doesn't seem the type to have such deep and emotional stuff hidden between the craziness and goofness. Mother 3 on the other hand already laid what's it's about at the beginning of the game.
Even though Lucas is my favorite, Ness has really grown on me too. He had more development than I expected in EB,
especially with Magicant,
to say nothing of that cute sprite of his.

Paula is still my favorite EB/Mother 2 character, though.
Agreed, even though i favor Lucas over Ness, i don't give Ness enough credit, he had his fair share of drama and trials to face in his game aswell, and he is deeper than he seems to be. He's definitely an awesome kid, taking down the "Ultimate Evil" in the Universe.

Plus him bonding with the Earth and gaining it's power was epic in itself, it makes me wish Lucas had something like that happen to him, lol.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Fun fact: Remember when Pokey talks with Ness at the crazy blue-city? That one time when he looks like he wants to be "friends" again but then proceeds to make fun of you? In the Original version (Japanese) Pokey honestly wanted to make up with Ness and asked if they could be friends again, but it's hinted that Ness gives him the silent treatment and he gets upset and runs off to become the 'ultimate villain'. Funnily enough, in Magicant, Ness finds Pokey. Now in the English version there's nothing of note in Pokey's version, but I'm curious as what the Japanese version actually says.

Elezir

:v I didn't know someone had already looked over this, thanks!

Eh, the point about being guilty still stands, though, just not with Pokey. He felt guilty about bashing at some zombies and at Mr. Pile of puke, surprisigly enough (You can talk with these guys in Magicant, with them saying how Ness destroyed their day, and even the background color schemes changes to something more darkier after you talk to them), though it could've just used to illustrate Ness's general guilt at bashing stuff/people that/who were being just 'controlled' by Gygas
That makes me think of how much of a sweet boy Ness is :cry:

Maybe that Pokey was just there to show that Ness wished they could just be "friends" again? Even if the guy was a pretty bad friend already.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Considering how messed up Pokey/Porky's family is, I can see why he sees his way of treating Ness as "friendship" and why he's so bratty in general. Though, it does leave you wondering how Picky turned out okay.

Elezir

As more of a curiousity, here's what Pokey says exactly in the Japanese version.

:urg: Why, Ness? Well, it could be just the creators poking fun at Ness being a silent protagonist, but still...

Last edited:

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
I was going to update my original post but to much has happened so I'll recap my tournament here @ Noa. Noa.

My first match was vs G-L who mains Rob. He beat my pretty bad resulting in a 2 - 0 lose to him. I need to learn the match up because I also lost to 8bitman's Rob the tournament before hand.

Second match in losers was against Hal who played Samus and Villager . I beat him in both sets allowing me to advance in losers. Also got a really good PKT2 on him which made me happy.

Third match was a DQ on the other player for not being present allowing me to advance.

Forth match was against Krib another Ness main ( and the only I ran into ). We dittoed and he got a surprise PKT2 on me (Couldn't do anything about it ) to take a stock from me but I won both matches.

Fifth match I played YoungGunz who falcon pretty much destroyed me. I played the whole match sloppy as hell resulting in me being eliminated.

All in all I was content on how the result of the tournament. A lot of south Florida best didn't show up to the local so I didn't have to face any of them in tournament.

The Challonge bracket
http://arcadeodyssey.challonge.com/Smash4Singles022715

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I was going to update my original post but to much has happened so I'll recap my tournament here @ Noa. Noa.

My first match was vs G-L who mains Rob. He beat my pretty bad resulting in a 2 - 0 lose to him. I need to learn the match up because I also lost to 8bitman's Rob the tournament before hand.

Second match in losers was against Hal who played Samus and Villager . I beat him in both sets allowing me to advance in losers. Also got a really good PKT2 on him which made me happy.

Third match was a DQ on the other player for not being present allowing me to advance.

Forth match was against Krib another Ness main ( and the only I ran into ). We dittoed and he got a surprise PKT2 on me (Couldn't do anything about it ) to take a stock from me but I won both matches.

Fifth match I played YoungGunz who falcon pretty much destroyed me. I played the whole match sloppy as hell resulting in me being eliminated.

All in all I was content on how the result of the tournament. A lot of south Florida best didn't show up to the local so I didn't have to face any of them in tournament.

The Challonge bracket
http://arcadeodyssey.challonge.com/Smash4Singles022715
Oh I'm not too familiar with most of those players. I know ilj, true blue, and MVD obviously. But yeah it's good that you did well! Haha I might be going to a Sfl tournament in March. Perhaps I'll see you!

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
Oh I'm not too familiar with most of those players. I know ilj, true blue, and MVD obviously. But yeah it's good that you did well! Haha I might be going to a Sfl tournament in March. Perhaps I'll see you!
If it's AO i'll be there

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I came first at a tournament yesterday!... Because I dropped Ness.

It feels bad letting go of my favourite character in the game but as more people kept playing against my Ness I realised that people were able to read me pretty well regardless of how I tried to mixup my game and it doesn't help that the recovery can be gimped easily by competent opponents.

I'll keep working on Ness on the side but for now Yoshi is taking the throne for a while, Dunkasaurus Rex is amazing.

Top Bottom