• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I had no issue with Giygas, but I was overleveled thanks to my failed attempts at getting the Sword of Kings.

In fact, I felt like I had an easier time with EB's bosses than M3's even before then. The only ones that were a bit rough for me were Frank (who for some reason was the hardest boss overall for me), the Kracken, and the second Mani Mani Statue fight (which I beat on my first try by sheer luck).
I think many of us knows the struggles of obtaining that sword ;)

And yeah, those are probably the hardest bosses there. In addition to this, the Fourside Dept. store was a nightmare XD

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm wondering if I should get the Sword of Kings or Legendary Bat when I go through the game this time. That is, if I ever feel like playing through it. I've been distracted by Smash 4 and Pokemon ORAS when I should be focusing on getting a full-time job...

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Sword of Kings seems more like a bragging rights prize than anything. If I recall, it doesn't boost Poo's offense that much, and you don't really need his bashing too often since Ness, Paula, and Jeff (especially post-Heavy Bazooka) can wipe out most of the easier opponents and you'll be using his PSI on the harder ones anyway.

I found the actual dungeons in EB harder than any boss. Fire Springs was pretty brutal, as was late Onett, the Department Store, and Magicant. Oh, and Dusty Dunes Desert, and the cave where you fight the moles that all think they're the third strongest. So much poisoning...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I've got too much OCD to let that Sword slip. Or anything else for that matter. Including the Gutsy Bat, Star Pendants, and Goddess Ribbon...

Shaymikyu

I've got too much OCD to let that Sword slip. Or anything else for that matter. Including the Gutsy Bat, Star Pendants, and Goddess Ribbon...
I normally would push harder (the first time I played Mother 3, I played three hours to get Lucas's Awesome Stick), but it took almost four hours, plus everyone's levels were dangerously high, and Ness being too close to level 99 would be risky before his Magicant boost.

Also, I almost skipped Milky Well on accident. I didn't realize it until I hit Lumine Hall and thought it was odd that I was missing a melody that came earlier, and I knew Fire Springs was the last one.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Hello, people!!

I hadn't stopped by the Ness boards before, but I'm secondary-ing him since release and I just wanted to drop by and say hi.

SO WASSUP?

Has anybody here played Citizens of Earth, yet?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've found a few bosses difficult since my playthrough from the original, some bosses I was really scared of and then turned out to be easy (I forgot to use the jar of honey on Belch the first time and wasted all my items hahaha)

Fourside dept. store was alright for me, but I knew it was going to happen and I think I was slightly over-levelled at that point. Frank was harder for me than I should have found him, he kept brandishing his knife like 4 times in a row and I'd die too quickly to do stuff, though the frankensteiner mk II was ez pez.

Kraken was insanely difficult the first time I played EB, this time I actually didn't have much trouble. Mani Mani statue in the form of Ness' nightmare was just ludicrous for me, I have no idea how I beat him the second time.

I also have a lot of issues with dungeons. Fire springs was hectic, so was the prison holding area in Winters where you can get the sword of kings. Magicant too, to a lesser extent. :o

I'll do my best next time I go against Giygas! Ness is about level 80 atm btw, a little over I think right now.

Shaymikyu

I've found a few bosses difficult since my playthrough from the original, some bosses I was really scared of and then turned out to be easy (I forgot to use the jar of honey on Belch the first time and wasted all my items hahaha)

Fourside dept. store was alright for me, but I knew it was going to happen and I think I was slightly over-levelled at that point. Frank was harder for me than I should have found him, he kept brandishing his knife like 4 times in a row and I'd die too quickly to do stuff, though the frankensteiner mk II was ez pez.

Kraken was insanely difficult the first time I played EB, this time I actually didn't have much trouble. Mani Mani statue in the form of Ness' nightmare was just ludicrous for me, I have no idea how I beat him the second time.

I also have a lot of issues with dungeons. Fire springs was hectic, so was the prison holding area in Winters where you can get the sword of kings. Magicant too, to a lesser extent. :o

I'll do my best next time I go against Giygas! Ness is about level 80 atm btw, a little over I think right now.
Ness was 85 in my playthrough at that point, so I think you are good.
M3 bosses were so hard for me until I started using Shield and stat buffs/debuffs.
I should have used those more. I did in Mother 3, but for some reason, I didn't in EB except having Paula use a PSI Shield E (don't have the actual symbol here) against Giygas, which made it MUCH easier.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah I use PSI Shield Epsilon on Paula when I go against Pokey, I should use it for Giygas too I reckon. Actually, PK Shield Omega from Paula might be an even better option. :o

Shaymikyu

Yeah I use PSI Shield Epsilon on Paula when I go against Pokey, I should use it for Giygas too I reckon. Actually, PK Shield Omega from Paula might be an even better option. :o
If I recall, Epsilon just absorbs and Omega reflects. The former is more useful to me for that fight because once you get past a point in the battle, the damage you do doesn't make a difference. If I recall, it's less PP too, but I could be wrong.

Also, Pokey Means Business needs to be a track in the next SSB. Badly. Preferably with a Cave of the Past stage.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If I recall, Epsilon just absorbs and Omega reflects. The former is more useful to me for that fight because once you get past a point in the battle, the damage you do doesn't make a difference. If I recall, it's less PP too, but I could be wrong.

Also, Pokey Means Business needs to be a track in the next SSB. Badly. Preferably with a Cave of the Past stage.
I literally just love the opening part of the track so, sooo much.

And as far as I know, after you go through Paula's praying thing, then you have to finish the rest of the fight with Giygas yeah, doing a certain amount of damage to him? Am I wrong? o.O

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

I literally just love the opening part of the track so, sooo much.

And as far as I know, after you go through Paula's praying thing, then you have to finish the rest of the fight with Giygas yeah, doing a certain amount of damage to him? Am I wrong? o.O
I was bashing him while praying, but I don't think it makes a difference. You just have to pray nine times.

In the first part with Pokey, you have to do a certain amount of damage to Pokey, and in the second part you have to do a certain amount of damage to Giygas. After Pokey pops up after that part, then you just have to pray 9 times.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Against Giygas...

First phase Paralysis actually works against Pokey surprisingly. And whatever you do, do not attack Giygas (though I'm pretty sure you already figured that out). Second phase I bombard Giygas with PK Freezes from Paula and Poo while Ness and Jeff just attack. Third (pray) phase, I have Paula pray, Poo and Jeff defend, and Ness use Lifeup Omega every turn, even if my party is at full health. He has more than enough PP to do this as long as you don't use too much PSI in fighting enemies in the Cave of the Past or the first two phases against Giygas. Ness is honestly so OP by the end. And use Healing Gamma/Omega if a party member dies. You don't have to attack Giygas in this phase.

Shaymikyu

Using Brainshock on Phase 2 Giygas helps too, since it means he'll sometimes attack himself.

Also, I found having the strongest Plush Bears from Summers helped to keep everyone in decent shape on the trek to Giygas. And Brain Food Lunches. Lots of those.

Jeff's Multibottle Rockets are also useless against Giygas, so use them on Pokey only.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Welcome aboard @ Fernosaur Fernosaur , nice to have you along. We were just talking about CoE actually, I really like it so far :)

@ PKBeam PKBeam , udde Lucas' defensive spells are REALLY good. I always try to stack 3 Defense Up Omegas and a PSI/Normal Shield in every boss fight. It's a little overkill at times, but it negates SO much damage.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Welcome aboard @ Fernosaur Fernosaur , nice to have you along. We were just talking about CoE actually, I really like it so far :)
Thanks! Doesn't seem that this thread moves too fast, but you people seem nice and all.

Anyways! I haven't continued playing CoE because of the freezes. I'm waiting out for them to patch it, apparently they were gonna do it this week but who knows? :p It is definitely hilarious, though. They got me at Telefawn.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The enemies are great yes. The freezes are incredibly annoying though, but not enough to turn me away from the game. The quality of the jokes only gets better as you go on too. I'm having too much fun with this game. I've actually been sorta neglecting Smash XD

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Σ is sigma.
does anyone remember the long gone days of Healing π and when beta was the highest level for offense up?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Um..... hello. I'm a Mother fan that got into the Mother series last year by starting off with EB Zero/Mother 1 and recently just finished playing EarthBound on my Wii U. Very touching games.:cry: Hoping to play Mother 3 and the fan made 4 sometime.
Anyway, I might drop by here every now and then.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

I still need to beat EB0. I got halfway through it, but never got past that. I plan on restarting it eventually.

As for Mother 4, I signed up for their e-mail thing to get it early... Assuming it's ever released.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
There is a game balance patch.
I got my party to level ~65 without EVE, then gave up.
it's reaaallly hard...
Oh yeah, Mt.Itoi a nightmare....
As for Mother 4, I signed up for their e-mail thing to get it early... Assuming it's ever released.
Ah, thanks for reminding me. Haven't done that yet.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yep, I beat Earthbound for the first time last night, got to treat myself by finally listening to the SNES versions of 'Because I love you' and 'Smiles and Tears' that I'd been starving myself of listening in their original forms for so long. Also shed a tear, I really relate this game to the idea of growing up.

"So I heard you beat a universal monster? What's his name? Giiygoo? Something like that... I can't wait for you to tell me all about it." made me smile so much.

Terranigma is still my favourite game in the world but I'm so happy I finally got to the end of EB finally and I respect it to the max. Probs one of my top 5 games. <3

_clinton

Smash Master
Terranigma is a very good game, but I like Illusion of Gaia more for that series. Beating foes with a Flute/using psychic powers to slam yourself into foes > using a spear IMO, and then you get more than Ark to play as another plus (firing energy bombs with Freedan).

Shame they both have translation issues.

Oh and I didn't say I flat out hated CoE, I just don't like it for the tech issues it has right now.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Terranigma is a very good game, but I like Illusion of Gaia more for that series. Beating foes with a Flute/using psychic powers to slam yourself into foes > using a spear IMO, and then you get more than Ark to play as another plus (firing energy bombs with Freedan).

Shame they both have translation issues.

Oh and I didn't say I flat out hated CoE, I just don't like it for the tech issues it has right now.
Illusion of Gaia is quite cool (and Soul Blazer of course) but I feel the story is more basic than Terranigma. I love Terranigma so so much because its themes and ideas are quite layered and beautiful. I cried when I listened to AHFD, walking around Crysta at the end was like ;_; and the credits and final scene/epilogue like, made the game for me in so many ways (Terranigma has my props for telling story in its credits).

And to be fair, Ark uses the rings to do some pretty crazy stuff (it's like, the only way you can possibly beat the witch that changes elemental forms >_>), and after Meilin gets over being a spoilt brat and actually helps you then her illusion magic is pretty cool.

But back on a serious note, there are some really standout scenes in Terranigma which always make me think. The avalanche mountain goat scene is really weird and interesting. So is Meilin's illusion of both Elles to Ark, and the vision Ark has when he revives the humans.

So much respect to you for having played this series btw, I can't believe someone else on this board has played any of the Soul Blazer spiritual trilogy games. <3

Last edited:

_clinton

Smash Master
Illusion of Gaia had some good parts. Characters starving on a raft (sort of better than the mountain goat IMO), one of your support characters finding love, both leave your party to be together/take care of his dad. Another support character actually dying and being reborn several times. The slave trade in general and things like why it happens.

Oh and it had a nice optional boss fight that let you end the slave trade for good if you could get to it (**** be crazy how you unlock that fight). Granted, the translation for this makes some of the stuff that happens seem mild in general (that village of cannibals, they sort of downplayed the fact that they were going to eat your team)

Granted stuff in Terraigma was very well done as well. I loved how you could change the world in general and how it is done with just 1 major idea (elect the "town drunk" to be mayor or the "scholar," who will you choose?) Stuff like the zombie village filled with people who don't know they are dead, but know you are killing them was also neat.

Soul Blazer was pretty good near the end when you got to fling firebird projectiles freely. It by far had the best equipment set up of the 3 games as well IMO. Like how Will got to fling firebird as well. Kind of shocked Ark never did despite it being an endgame idea. But oh well.

Also I have a theory on how the games connect besides just Gaia/Dark Gaia as well, we know that Ark is a clone of Gaia's hero for starters who merges with the real hero in the end which breaks him away from the main villain. But I've felt that with the series' theme of rebirth really neat in general. What I'm getting to is that I think Will is a reborn version of Blazer, and the real Ark was a reborn version of Will. Same goes with the leading ladies of every game (granted the leading lady in SB had like less than a paragraph of story).

The optional boss in Gaia I feel supports this as well.

Rebirth in general is a huge theme for this series as well. You are fixing/remaking the world in all 3 games after all (people/things being turned to monsters you are fixing areas/rebuilding the world). Granted, you changing the world isn't as clear in Gaia as it is in Blazer/Terra. I mean, you directly build areas in those two games, where as the rebuilt world in Gaia is the final outcome just after beating Dark Gaia, you more or less are just setting each area up for the grand makeover though by fixing the souls of people/things in each area.

Anyway, that is all

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I got my party to level ~65 without EVE, then gave up.
it's reaaallly hard...
Good lord dude, you are WAY past the threshold to beat the game lol. I beat it at 35ish. If oyu're having trouble getting up Mt. Itoi, don't be afraid to spam 4D Slip, PK Fire Omega, and Super Bombs to instantly end fights. Waste all your resources getting up the mountain, there's a free heal at the top.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Illusion of Gaia had some good parts. Characters starving on a raft (sort of better than the mountain goat IMO), one of your support characters finding love, both leave your party to be together/take care of his dad. Another support character actually dying and being reborn several times. The slave trade in general and things like why it happens.

Oh and it had a nice optional boss fight that let you end the slave trade for good if you could get to it (**** be crazy how you unlock that fight). Granted, the translation for this makes some of the stuff that happens seem mild in general (that village of cannibals, they sort of downplayed the fact that they were going to eat your team)

Granted stuff in Terraigma was very well done as well. I loved how you could change the world in general and how it is done with just 1 major idea (elect the "town drunk" to be mayor or the "scholar," who will you choose?) Stuff like the zombie village filled with people who don't know they are dead, but know you are killing them was also neat.

Soul Blazer was pretty good near the end when you got to fling firebird projectiles freely. It by far had the best equipment set up of the 3 games as well IMO. Like how Will got to fling firebird as well. Kind of shocked Ark never did despite it being an endgame idea. But oh well.

Also I have a theory on how the games connect besides just Gaia/Dark Gaia as well, we know that Ark is a clone of Gaia's hero for starters who merges with the real hero in the end which breaks him away from the main villain. But I've felt that with the series' theme of rebirth really neat in general. What I'm getting to is that I think Will is a reborn version of Blazer, and the real Ark was a reborn version of Will. Same goes with the leading ladies of every game (granted the leading lady in SB had like less than a paragraph of story).

The optional boss in Gaia I feel supports this as well.

Rebirth in general is a huge theme for this series as well. You are fixing/remaking the world in all 3 games after all (people/things being turned to monsters you are fixing areas/rebuilding the world). Granted, you changing the world isn't as clear in Gaia as it is in Blazer/Terra. I mean, you directly build areas in those two games, where as the rebuilt world in Gaia is the final outcome just after beating Dark Gaia, you more or less are just setting each area up for the grand makeover though by fixing the souls of people/things in each area.

Anyway, that is all
Thus the term 'spiritual trilogy'. All 3 games are directly linked through the ideas of life, death, birth and rebirth, light and darkness, good and evil, duality and one-ness. Terranigma focuses a lot on the resurrection part of the trilogy and it's also connected to the other two in a couple weird ways. There's a dog called Turbo in every game and in Neotokyo if you do the optional boss fight then you unlock a building with game designers that call the game 'Soul Blazer 2'. So they were intentionally connected, and it enhances the effects of each individual game.

I dunno, I just think Terranigma is just so beautifully tied up. That ending, credits and epilogue was stunning, and Ark's conflicts with morality, humanity and light and dark make me think of the game as really deep. The others are too though, so yeah. <3

I still can't say how proud I am that you've played these games. You make my day!

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm amazed. Mother 3 has some impressive sound quality for a GBA game.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Good lord dude, you are WAY past the threshold to beat the game lol. I beat it at 35ish. If oyu're having trouble getting up Mt. Itoi, don't be afraid to spam 4D Slip, PK Fire Omega, and Super Bombs to instantly end fights. Waste all your resources getting up the mountain, there's a free heal at the top.
no, i already beat mother 1, this was just a thing i tried doing.
and for the record giegue is ridiculously easy at level 60.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
no, i already beat mother 1, this was just a thing i tried doing.
and for the record giegue is ridiculously easy at level 60.
Oh ok, you had me going there for a second. I was wondering why a guy named after a M1 exclusive spell hadn't beaten it yet XD

I thought of leveling to max in that game, then I realized it was insanity and that I'd never do it.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
Decided a little while ago that Ness seemed pretty fun, and that I would give him a shot. Planning on playing him tonight in a weekly at my school. Hoping this will give a better idea of matchups and what not.

Also, hello good people, I'm Reno, pleasure to meet you all.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Decided a little while ago that Ness seemed pretty fun, and that I would give him a shot. Planning on playing him tonight in a weekly at my school. Hoping this will give a better idea of matchups and what not.

Welcome to the Ness boards!

It's a pleasure to meet you! Good luck, and let us know how you go! If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help. =D

Noa.

Smash Master

Hello and welcome to the Ness boards.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992

It's a pleasure to meet you! Good luck, and let us know how you go! If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help. =D
Will do! I've been playing a friend and we're both by no means good, but when he plays Link he seems to do pretty well against me. I think it has to do with the strong smash moves, which I have a terrible habit of running in to.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992

Just finished up, and got first! Ended up being in winners the whole tourney, won against Link a few times, but ended up taking the last game on Sheik vs. Link. Definitely need some work on the Link matchup, but played only Ness vs. everyone else and did fairly well. Was pretty satisfied overall.

_clinton

Smash Master
cgs man, yeah Link can be kind of annoying. Just remember, nair eats most of his arrows and boomerang in general. And you can absorb bombs now taking away a huge trick that the Link's used to have at least.

Also if you can and he is using charged arrows, attempt to learn when to relect those bad boys, it can kill him at the right %s.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Hi Everyone~~
My name is Daycia but most people call me Day~ ^^

I am a Ness here in the Midwest!! I have been playing Ness since the Wii U version! I travel to tournaments around the area.
I usually place pretty well too! My previous tournaments I got 1st in doubles, top 5 in singles, 1st in singles, and even got 17th in doubles at Apex!
I am 100% Ness, none other! I hope to meet others as well ^__^

I was pushed to join the Ness boards and I figured what the hey! I love people! I usually go to tournaments every weekend or every other weekend. And I am also going to EVO! Hope to see some of you guys there too!!

I used to be a TO in the Midwest for Brawl and I also make YouTube videos of gaming and Japan!

Thank you and I am sooo excited to meet everyone!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom