• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I have most success with usmash punishing people when they gry to get up from the ledge, reading a spotdodge, or punishing someone for landing with an airdodge. Nair and uair can usually work in these situations as well but there are advantages to using usmash instead. Nair is usually stale for me, and since I always charge usmash in these situations it outdamages it easily. With some charge usmash also outdamages uair, and it leaves uair fresher so that it's easier to use it for the kill.
I generally used the down smash for ledge guards is there a difference between the two I just thought the delay on the back reel of the yoyo was more consistent in edge guard situations, and I was under the impression Nair was one of the few moves that didn't stale

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Best situations IMO for usmash are:

Quickest OoS punish
In tandem with the above, moves that put people behind your shield
Getting people landing
Roll reads
People who ledge regrab, and you don't have the time to turn around and dsmash

Noa.

Smash Master
Dsmash is better for edgeguarding when they're going to regrab the ledge cause it'll almost always kill. I use usmash though if I think they're going to do a standup, roll, or jump. You can space usmash so that it can cover some of those at the same time. Now this is a mixup, I don't rely on usmash. But if you just randomly charge it while they're trying to get back onstage then it can hit.

And Sage Ender you live in Miami? Why don't we know each other? .-.

I've also recently made the switch from Bumblebee Ness to menu screen Ness. I love the color of his hat and shorts in this outfit.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dsmash is better for edgeguarding when they're going to regrab the ledge cause it'll almost always kill. I use usmash though if I think they're going to do a standup, roll, or jump. You can space usmash so that it can cover some of those at the same time. Now this is a mixup, I don't rely on usmash. But if you just randomly charge it while they're trying to get back onstage then it can hit.

I've also recently made the switch from Bumblebee Ness to menu screen Ness. I love the color of his hat and shorts in this outfit.
Oh definitely, if you have time to pull out a dsmash that's your go to option. But like I said, it's for those times that you don't. You most likely forced the opponent to regrab the ledge by blocking or something, and you can't dsmash out of a dash, much less have the time to either turn around or wait for the front swing. In those tight time frame situations, usmash can be used out of dash and hits low enough to the ground.

And I thoguht your avatar looked different. I thought I was going crazy for a sec XD

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to see how broken Ness was with rage using the theory that grabs get the most scaling.That theory was painfully wrong, sorry Ness mains.
Ness 0% Mario 0%
Bthrow
32 Knock back
Ness 100%, Mario 0%
35 Knock back
Ness 150%, Mario 0%
37 Knock back
Ness 0%, Mario 3%
35 Knock back.

Or in other words with Ness at 100% only makes his bthrow kill 3% sooner.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Oh definitely, if you have time to pull out a dsmash that's your go to option. But like I said, it's for those times that you don't. You most likely forced the opponent to regrab the ledge by blocking or something, and you can't dsmash out of a dash, much less have the time to either turn around or wait for the front swing. In those tight time frame situations, usmash can be used out of dash and hits low enough to the ground.
I Feel like this is one of the few situations perfect pivot, can work for ness and he can d-smash out of perfect pivot, but I still am no where near consistent enough to try that in a real game so u-smash I will try to work with.

I go by the handle of Carmine (pronounced Car Mine), this account is from when I played alot of brawl and olimar the character I played(at he was like 10th on the tier list not 2 or 3). Is there a mod I should talk to about possibly changing my name if thats possible? (im not sure how they have the site coded)

But back to your actual question, I have only been playing Sm4sh for around a month so far and only been to 1 arcade odyssey Tourney so far(got 10th out of 53, Esam won it), so I dont find it too surprising you havent met me yet. But definitely Let me know if you are going to go to a a AO or VS tourney anytime soon.

Also, I rep green and orange color I have always used when I play him. I find it interesting the meta of color for ness players they almost all use belch or mr. saturn shirt

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to see how broken Ness was with rage using the theory that grabs get the most scaling.That theory was painfully wrong, sorry Ness mains.
Ness 0% Mario 0%
Bthrow
32 Knock back
Ness 100%, Mario 0%
35 Knock back
Ness 150%, Mario 0%
37 Knock back
Ness 0%, Mario 3%
35 Knock back.

It already kills at crazy percents so Im ok with this, and now I feel less bad for dying, and what I have noticed is that the rage strongly effects his fair, in rage Mode I have been able to kill a Falcon with the triple fair after a down grab when they were initially at like 30% and I was at 120%

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You have to get premium to change names. Not for a year, just the few bucks for a month.

Dthrow triple fair can already get them offscreen so I can believe that.

Last edited:

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
You have to get premium to change names. Not for a year, just the few bucks for a month.
Thanks for letting me know

Dthrow triple fair can already get them offscreen so I can believe that.

that kill was the final kill that marked a 3 stock against my friend who mains falcon. We normally go 60/40 in matches with me winning a little more often but after that game the salt poured out. I think he gave up on the falcon ness matchup, and I think it is crazy with that combo that we can kill a heavier character at 30-50%

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I Feel like this is one of the few situations perfect pivot, can work for ness and he can d-smash out of perfect pivot, but I still am no where near consistent enough to try that in a real game so u-smash I will try to work with.

I go by the handle of Carmine (pronounced Car Mine), this account is from when I played alot of brawl and olimar the character I played(at he was like 10th on the tier list not 2 or 3). Is there a mod I should talk to about possibly changing my name if thats possible? (im not sure how they have the site coded)

But back to your actual question, I have only been playing Sm4sh for around a month so far and only been to 1 arcade odyssey Tourney so far(got 10th out of 53, Esam won it), so I dont find it too surprising you havent met me yet. But definitely Let me know if you are going to go to a a AO or VS tourney anytime soon.

Also, I rep green and orange color I have always used when I play him. I find it interesting the meta of color for ness players they almost all use belch or mr. saturn shirt
I went to a vs tournament in December. I got 7th at it and Myran ended up winning it. Sfl tend to travel to cfl somewhat often and I'll be back in sfl in a month or two I imagine. :V

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I went to a vs tournament in December. I got 7th at it and Myran ended up winning it. Sfl tend to travel to cfl somewhat often and I'll be back in sfl in a month or two I imagine. :V
Yeah, we generally tend too, but currently between work and doing saturday classes and I wont be able to go that way very often :/, at least until august, if I plan on heading that way I will let you know.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I swear there are weird consistencies in Ness' bthrow. At first I thought it was rage, but if you say it isn't I believe you. But I've seen that thing KO people at like 80% and they claimed they DI'd. Then at other times, I'll throw them at over 100% 3 times and they still won't die. And yes, I'm aware of scaling, I don't abuse bthrow unless I'm under the assumption it will KO or at least lead to a good edgeguard.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I swear there are weird consistencies in Ness' bthrow. At first I thought it was rage, but if you say it isn't I believe you. But I've seen that thing KO people at like 80% and they claimed they DI'd. Then at other times, I'll throw them at over 100% 3 times and they still won't die. And yes, I'm aware of scaling, I don't abuse bthrow unless I'm under the assumption it will KO or at least lead to a good edgeguard.
it could be stages with different blast zones?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Unless the omegas have different blastzones, then idk.
My friends and I really pick omegas and BF most of the time.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Unless the omegas have different blastzones, then idk.
My friends and I really pick omegas and BF most of the time.
If that's the case then it's probably the weight of the character I have killed pikachus at 80 but in the same spot falcon dies around 110 with same stale on the throw
Or if you are on the platform in battlefield or town and city that can really change it

I killed falcon with an uair at 60 when I did u tilt uair off the high platform

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
In terms of characters, two factors affect their auric viability against bthrow. Their weight and fall speed. The heavier the character the longer they'll survive. Characters that fall very fast die earlier to bthrow. Peach survives bthrow pretty well considering her weight class. And sheik and fox die earlier than you would expect given their weight.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Ness 0% Mario 0%
Bthrow
32 Knock back
Ness 100%, Mario 0%
35 Knock back
Ness 150%, Mario 0%
37 Knock back
Ness 0%, Mario 3%
35 Knock back.

My theory is that Rage multiplies knockback growth rather than base knockback, and knockback growth when mario is at 3% is... very, very low.

Tikao

Smash Ace
it could also affect bkb, because that scales with kbg, so both is possible

ness definitely gets more out of rage than killing 3% earlier ... could be nearly 20%

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I just played against a ridiculously amazing ness on wi-fi. I probably never played someone that good. We played about 10-15 games and I often got 2-stocked. (One time I won though because of an unlucky SD of him. :p ) He also gone jiggs for two matches. Even though I am not a top level player myself, I am quite sure that must be some famous guy. His tag was "OJ". Can it be that that was Awestin? I researched a bit and saw that he called himself "OJwasinnocent" in a tournament, and that he plays Ness and Jigglypuff.

JC10101

Smash Rookie
NNID
JC10101
Does anybody want to play? I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but my NNID is JC10101

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Does anybody want to play? I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but my NNID is JC10101
I would like to play sometime, except that I have to go to bed soon, and finals are next week so my time is going to be limited. Some other time?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I just played against a ridiculously amazing ness on wi-fi. I probably never played someone that good. We played about 10-15 games and I often got 2-stocked. (One time I won though because of an unlucky SD of him. :p ) He also gone jiggs for two matches. Even though I am not a top level player myself, I am quite sure that must be some famous guy. His tag was "OJ". Can it be that that was Awestin? I researched a bit and saw that he called himself "OJwasinnocent" in a tournament, and that he plays Ness and Jigglypuff.
Rofl. That was me. I was playing on my friend's Wii. You were Shulk right?

My Jiggs is currently some booty, but I wanted to try her out a bit on FG.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Came second at that Tournament I mentioned, Ness all the way!

Winner was a Diddy player and best player in the state. I learnt A LOT about the Diddy v Ness MU, I'll get around to writing some stuff down soon

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Rofl. That was me. I was playing on my friend's Wii. You were Shulk right?

My Jiggs is currently some booty, but I wanted to try her out a bit on FG.
Well, good job then o_O. I already met BOXINGKING online, so I would not be too irritated. But you also have to be one of those guys with Youtube videos online right?

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Question: are there more than 2 players in Tasmania? :p
Nah, just the one guy with 2 heads :p

seriously though, things have gotten organised recently and there is quite a few really good players around, this event had 29 entrants and a few regulars weren't there. Tassie finally has a fighting game scene!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, good job then o_O. I already met BOXINGKING online, so I would not be too irritated. But you also have to be one of those guys with Youtube videos online right?
I mostly have tech videos dedicated to Ness, displaying how to do specific moves and such. No gameplay on my channel just yet.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mikman360/videos

I think I might have played you as well, do you remember a green ness?
I think I did face another Ness, but I don't think I got to play him for very long. Can't remember his outfit choice however.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I mostly have tech videos dedicated to Ness, displaying how to do s
I think I did face another Ness, but I don't think I got to play him for very long. Can't remember his outfit choice however.

I think it was like 5 games and i remember you ending it with jigglypuff, I got you well enough that it ended with you spamming sing i think could have been a different jigglypuff, but I do remember playing a OJ

Last edited:

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Shame, I would like to see you against other players on your level. Are you going to play tournaments in the next months?
if you want high level ness players,

look up fow, awestin, nakat for high level ness players they are all great players, and Fow streams alot on twitch

Noa.

Smash Master
So I went to a tournament with about 23 people in it. I split for first. Got to winners finals without dropping a game. In loser's finals I beat a yoshi 3-2. The winner from grand finals then offered to split so I did. It was streamed so I will find the link for that too.

This was a pretty small tournament so it's not a huge accomplishment, but I'm happy I did well. The past two tournaments I did very poorly.

This also marks the fourth time I've played against sonic. I've never beat him in tournament. I've played static manny twice and he's a much better player than me so I expect to lose to him. Same with Streetshark who is also better than me and ive faced his sonic once. The last sonic though, True Blue, he's also probably better than me but I feel closest to him in skill. Meh Ive never lost to a Sonic worse than me but the matchup is starting to concern me.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Good job! I've actually never heard of splitting the win, so that's pretty interesting.

As for Sonic, I totally agree. That matchup makes me fall flat pretty much every time against a good player online just lucky no one mains him locally (or unlucky, I need the experience)

Noa.

Smash Master
Splitting is more frowned upon at huge events really. Because if so many people paid money to go to an event they want to see a hype grand finals. But with locals it's not too big a deal. Usually people split if they're good friends or if it will save time. As soon as the tournament was over I needed to leave to a friend's party in Gainesville which was two hours away. I did get there late but meh.

Top Bottom