• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey guys. I'm about halfway done with my vacation, and I'll be returning home on Friday. Is everyone doing alright?

Noa.

Smash Master
Nair at higher percentage is difficult to combo with because it has so much knockback.

And I hope for all of you Australian Nesses that no one you know is hurt or in danger. Stay safe.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Since so many people are unclear on the PKF lag cancel, I'm gonna be making a video guide for it sometime next week. Hopefully it clears things up a bit.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm about halfway done with my vacation, and I'll be returning home on Friday. Is everyone doing alright?
I believe so.

And I hope for all of you Australian Nesses that no one you know is hurt or in danger. Stay safe.
Fortunately, last I heard 5 were uninsured and escaped and was an isolated incident, but unfortunately, 4 or 5 of the hostages were injured while 1 or 2 were killed, as well as the gunman. News is still being clarified. Hope none of your loved ones were in there. If they were, I hope for the best.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah it's been a massive ordeal, we were meant to go to Taronga zoo that day and cancelled because of it. It's not the best outcome it could have been - 2 people died after all and that's really awful - though I am glad as many people made it out okay as they did.

I think we knew this was coming, though; the Australian government had been warning us for months that an attack was probably going to happen. On the other hand, it was a single guy, possibly an opportunistic attack... I dunno. :/

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
From my understanding, it seems to be a singular attack, and something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. And yeah, Australia got off lucky considering more fatalities could be expected, considering the police had to storm the building sooner or later. Even so, my heart goes out to those who lost a loved one in there.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Hiya there! I've picked up Ness and have loved playing as him. He's so quick and has such great knockback + combos.
I'm posting here because I'd like to receive some general advice with Ness, I wanna get good with him on the side of my main, since Yoshi can't handle some matchups as well as Ness can (Such as Duck Hunt, Robin, etc). And also, some tips on the Matchup for Duck Hunt and Robin. :3

I'll honestly take anything, call me scrub and I'll take it. Kappa

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Hiya there! I've picked up Ness and have loved playing as him. He's so quick and has such great knockback + combos.
I'm posting here because I'd like to receive some general advice with Ness, I wanna get good with him on the side of my main, since Yoshi can't handle some matchups as well as Ness can (Such as Duck Hunt, Robin, etc). And also, some tips on the Matchup for Duck Hunt and Robin. :3

I'll honestly take anything, call me scrub and I'll take it. Kappa
Hello, and welcome to the Ness boards. I would give as much information about the matchups as I can give, but I'm supposed to be sleeping right now, plus I don't have a lot of experience with DHD. By the way, for these kind of questions, I would advise going to the general matchup discussion (the one that isn't discussing specific characters), but the social thread I guess would be suitable as well. After all, we do have to move past this tragedy sooner or later as sad as it is. It would also be helpful if you could post videos of Ness gameplay as well in the video thread (Lumine Hall). That way, we can analyze your play and give constructive criticism. Or you could ask to play Ness ditto matches with the people on here and ask for advice.

Noa.

Smash Master
The fastest way to improve is to go to as many tournaments and smashfests as possible. Play against as many people you can in your local area.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Hello again fellow Ness enthusiasts

I was writing down a few reminders to myself about Ness's moves and ended up writing pretty much a whole guide, should I fiddle with what I've wrote and post it or do we have enough Ness guides?

(Yes. I know b-throw is a kill move :p )

The fastest way to improve is to go to as many tournaments and smashfests as possible. Play against as many people you can in your local area.
100% agreed.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hello again fellow Ness enthusiasts

I was writing down a few reminders to myself about Ness's moves and ended up writing pretty much a whole guide, should I fiddle with what I've wrote and post it or do we have enough Ness guides?

(Yes. I know b-throw is a kill move :p )

100% agreed.
If people can make a guide on a single move, there's room for full character guides. Have at it dude.

ilysm

sleepy
So, perfect pivots. How would they be used and are they any good, concerning Ness specifically? From the video, it seems Ness's is slightly longer than the shortest Perfect Pivot (I refuse to call it a 'PP' on principle) in the game. Any good for spacing at all, or mostly irrelevant, at least as it stands right now?

Apologies if this is 'already known' or some such. There seems to be a pretty fierce debate raging in the thread about it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
So, perfect pivots. How would they be used and are they any good, concerning Ness specifically? From the video, it seems Ness's is slightly longer than the shortest Perfect Pivot (I refuse to call it a 'PP' on principle) in the game. Any good for spacing at all, or mostly irrelevant, at least as it stands right now?

Apologies if this is 'already known' or some such. There seems to be a pretty fierce debate raging in the thread about it.
This would be great if Ness had ground moves worth using, but for the most part, your aerials and grab will fill most of the roles that your pivoted grab moves would.

I'm thinking you could possibly perfect pivot a dsmash to quickly hit someone in front of you with a decent powered smash (when bat is too slow), but that sounds really demanding on a technical level to the point where it's probably just not worth it.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know a good program for turning video files into GIFs? Preferrably without scale limitations like a lot of the online ones I've found. I downloaded Creative Cloud in search of one.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
...so, completely unrelated, but I started Earthbound for the second time. But, I picked a lousy time to start. The only free day I spent time on was Monday. Tuesday through the end of this week had/have unexpected events and prior commitments, making sure I couldn't play it further for now. Plus, with Christmas coming up and with possibly more games to play, it's gonna be a pain to divide my time.

Moral of the story: make sure when you play a game as long as Earthbound that you have enough time and make sure you know of any prior commitments you made at the time before starting the game if you want to finish when you want to (for me, before Winter Break lets out).

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
god, so many people disrespecting Ness' Bthrow on WiFi.
like, do i HAVE to show you why trying to fsmash me at 120% when im next to the ledge is a bad idea?

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
"don't worry, i can DI tha ... GAME"
the funny thing is that a few of them actually DI parallel to the stage so they end up dying about 90-100 without rage.

the matchmaking isn't that good. a lot of people i meet on wifi are just bad. like when i lived up to 191% as shulk in doubles. and all those times where I pummeled someone at the ledge, when they released they were still mashing and did some weird stuff and SD'ed.

occasionally there are genuinely good players but they just leave for some reason.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I just KO'd someone with fthrow on the edge of the stage tonight while playing FG.
They weren't at like 600% or anything, and it wasn't fthrow+edgeguarding. It was JUST fthrow, they died off the right blastzone.

I was appalled.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
the funny thing is that a few of them actually DI parallel to the stage so they end up dying about 90-100 without rage.

the matchmaking isn't that good. a lot of people i meet on wifi are just bad. like when i lived up to 191% as shulk in doubles. and all those times where I pummeled someone at the ledge, when they released they were still mashing and did some weird stuff and SD'ed.

occasionally there are genuinely good players but they just leave for some reason.
I just ran into someone a moment ago who's tag was 'Heil' and had a hitler face. The worst part about it was that he was actually a good player (he used Captain Falcon), I had 3 games against him and won the first 2 by a scrape and it was only the third one that I managed to 2 stock him. It wasn't fun. :/

But that time we found each other on there was priceless. I've found a few peeps there that I know. Scarpian is a Link user in my scene, i've met him in person and i found him randomly in FG. I also played with Techtonio in 1v1 for ages before he friended me. It's a lot of fun when it does happen :D

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I just ran into someone a moment ago who's tag was 'Heil' and had a hitler face. The worst part about it was that he was actually a good player (he used Captain Falcon), I had 3 games against him and won the first 2 by a scrape and it was only the third one that I managed to 2 stock him. It wasn't fun. :/
That sounds like one of those overhyped falcon memes. Like "heil falcon".

Also, we need to have another match sometime :/ you are like the only good ness main I seen after a month online. So many Falcons, ganons and Marios, almost no one uses characters like pac man, WFT and ness... Oh wait now I know why they don't think to avoid bthrow... It's fun playing as someone who people have no matchup exp. with...

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
That sounds like one of those overhyped falcon memes. Like "heil falcon".

Also, we need to have another match sometime :/ you are like the only good ness main I seen after a month online. So many Falcons, ganons and Marios, almost no one uses characters like pac man, WFT and ness... Oh wait now I know why they don't think to avoid bthrow... It's fun playing as someone who people have no matchup exp. with...
You can say that again. It's like every other person uses a Falcon, Mario, or Link. Though I barely see Little Mac anymore. One time I got like 5 Links in a row when I was playing as Toon Link for all 5. Plus, I two-stock like 1/2 people with Ness and another 1/2 of those who KOs me before I take the second stock die so early. I don't understand why people are complaining about seeing so many Nesses online, I find them quite rare, and I've only found one who used him that was decent, and only one that was really good and I only won due to PKT2.

Now can you see why I'm cutting back on the time I spend of FG? Used to go there all the time because it was one of the few human interactions I can get who plays Smash.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
again... so im playing this DHD, he smart enough to camp, combo that stuff, so he's at 120%, i get knocked offstage, he charging a Dsmash, I climb up from the ledge, shield it, bam, grab, bthrow, bye. and this happened twice. bad DI both times.

Snerp

Smash Cadet
Did anyone else see Awestin's Ness tonight on the TourneyLocator stream? That was some super impressive stuff.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You guys, I really love Villager. If we don't get an EarthBound game for the Wii U, seeing how the amiibos are going to be used for more than just Smash, I really do hope they put Ness as a playable character or a skin in the next Animal Crossing. His appearance works well with that series.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You guys, I really love Villager. If we don't get an EarthBound game for the Wii U, seeing how the amiibos are going to be used for more than just Smash, I really do hope they put Ness as a playable character or a skin in the next Animal Crossing. His appearance works well with that series.
I would use that skin for sure.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I would use that skin for sure.
I think most people would. I'd probably switch back to the Scottish look I had going on Animal Crossing New Leaf. Hopefully the Tam O'Shanter isn't an EU exclusive, though.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I made the bat reflector doc edit-able by anyone. I saved off a copy for what I have just in case, but if anyone wants to take up the work of getting reflector data, you can put in stuff for the table. I'm so busy working, so my only free time is spent getting good at melee. Message me if it gets filled up so that I can close it to comments only. I might have time on Christmas eve to get more reflector data, but that's it. Working full time is a *****.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-xM_pv3ize1SROR7vrI51_I4TGic4V_TZ13PNVjntuQ/edit?usp=sharing

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I can post links now, so here's that guide I was mentioning:

http://smashboards.com/guides/a-psi-powered-guide.131/

Would appreciate any feedback before I update it sometime next week

So I have smash but no GC adapter so Wii U Pro controller life
Same here, I'm starting to really enjoy the Wii U Pro controller now, doubt I'll go back to the GC controller.

...so, completely unrelated, but I started Earthbound for the second time. But, I picked a lousy time to start. The only free day I spent time on was Monday. Tuesday through the end of this week had/have unexpected events and prior commitments, making sure I couldn't play it further for now. Plus, with Christmas coming up and with possibly more games to play, it's gonna be a pain to divide my time.

Moral of the story: make sure when you play a game as long as Earthbound that you have enough time and make sure you know of any prior commitments you made at the time before starting the game if you want to finish when you want to (for me, before Winter Break lets out).
I started it again a few weeks ago, got about half way and then the Christmas busyness got to me, I know how you're feeling :/

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Awestin is honestly one of my favorite players out there. He's a huge MOTHER fan, and has played Ness in every single iteration of Smash. He's super chill, even at tourneys (remember the time when he and Lunchables played a Grand Finals match on Pyrosphere at Shockwave 8? I'd look it up, it's hilarious), and has an aggressive, crazy, what-the-hell-I'll-go-for-it playstyle that winds up being super entertaining to watch, especially when it works. Reflecting a tree for a kill is exactly the sort of thing he would do. Can someone link me to the video? I'd love to see the whole thing play out.

Top Bottom