• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
better add 50 shades of pit to the game, but cut Lucas, because he is "a clone" ;_;
Maybe they just ran out of development time? I dunno, that's the best excuse I can come up with if he nor Ninten is an alt. Maybe we'll see one of them (preferably Lucas) as DLC. Pretty optimistic about Lucas's chances at the moment.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Man, I just played an amazing few matches with Ness. I pulled off dthrow > fair > fair > fair > fsmash.

Wish I would have saved that replay, I didn't lose a stock that match either...

I haven't had this much fun with Ness since Smash 64!

Asa

Smash Hero
yes i did, ness was one of the earlier characters i used in brawl, so i had a ness as well

ilysm

sleepy
The fan-made game looks super good. They're really staying true to the roots of the franchise, but it looks like they're doing so without falling into the fan-made-game rut of just worshipping the original without making any noteworthy improvements or advances. So, fairly pumped for that!

As far as Nintendo goes, though...any of you guys see this yet? I'd check it out. I am...cautiously hype.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
The fan-made game looks super good. They're really staying true to the roots of the franchise, but it looks like they're doing so without falling into the fan-made-game rut of just worshipping the original without making any noteworthy improvements or advances. So, fairly pumped for that!

As far as Nintendo goes, though...any of you guys see this yet? I'd check it out. I am...cautiously hype.
It was confirmed fake, iirc.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I didn't have any hope for that. There's not a snowball's chance in hell NoA would allow M3 into America with all the... stuff in it.

ilysm

sleepy
I haven't seen anywhere it's been proven just yet. Many people are a little suspicious. Can't say I blame them, obviously...Earthbound 360 does make a good point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but. It's probably prudent to be skeptical about it.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I didn't have any hope for that. There's not a snowball's chance in hell NoA would allow M3 into America with all the... stuff in it.
I never really liked the theme to be honest, that technology is this evil thing and would poison the atmosphere wherever it would go. As if humans were peaceful and shared everything before the Industrial Revolution, before Rome, or even way back when our ancestors discovered the uses of fire... Okay, they were kind of peaceful before fire because they couldn't hunt, but they didn't share everything.

Other than that, I guess the humor could be a bit inappropriate for western audiences, but could they edit it out or change it up a bit? Or maybe not. Not a clue on how cross-country translation works to make things appropriate to a culture.

ilysm

sleepy
I never really got that theme from M3. I always figured it was more about the people than it was about the technology. I dunno. Perhaps I was glancing over that aspect of the game. As for editing it, keep in mind that in the Japanese version of Earthbound Ness had an...interesting change of outfit in Magicant. They fixed up a ton of stuff they thought would be inappropriate for western audiences in Earthbound, and people didn't seem to think the game suffered for it. So who knows? The release of M3 in the U.S sounds to me like it could be really positively progressive with some of the themes of acceptance it conveys. I can obviously see the risk involved, though, because unfortunately the U.S is not always the most...accepting place.

Fingers crossed.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I never really got that theme from M3. I always figured it was more about the people than it was about the technology. I dunno. Perhaps I was glancing over that aspect of the game. As for editing it, keep in mind that in the Japanese version of Earthbound Ness had an...interesting change of outfit in Magicant. They fixed up a ton of stuff they thought would be inappropriate for western audiences in Earthbound, and people didn't seem to think the game suffered for it. So who knows? The release of M3 in the U.S sounds to me like it could be really positively progressive with some of the themes of acceptance it conveys. I can obviously see the risk involved, though, because unfortunately the U.S is not always the most...accepting place.

Fingers crossed.
That's just once possible theme one could get. There are other themes like family and being grateful for what you have too. And I'm aware of Ness's Magicant 'outfit', but I don't know how much M3 is going to have to be changed compared to a sprite. And yeah, I can list off examples of Americans just being closed-minded and immature over stupid stuff in my opinion, but I'm afraid of offending people and getting off topic, so I'll keep it to myself.

ilysm

sleepy
Agreed. We'll see. Regardless, M3 remains one of my favorite games of all time. There's so much you can get from it. Accept people that are a little different. You're not who you were born into. Family is extremely powerful, and can reach past the ones you are related to to the ones you love regardless. Crying sometimes is not a bad thing. You will overcome, and you will grow strong. Love is more powerful than hate.

Sorry, kinda tangental. But the Mother series as a whole reminds me a bit of 'The Little Prince'. It's childish, but like it was made by kids, not for kids. The games lift me up when I'm not feeling great. They make me want to be a better person, in a way...I swear I've heard someone else say that, either about Mother or The Little Prince. Can't place where exactly at the moment. But I really hope they get to reach a broader audience.

Is this too off-topic? It's the Ness Social, and we're technically talking about his series, but I'm not sure if I'm kinda treading the line here...

Noa.

Smash Master
The social thread is a social thread. We can talk about whatever we want. It can having nothing to do with smash. As long as it's appropriate.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I can't wait for Mother4. I wanna see a release date, but it's good to know that it should be out next year.

If M3 were an official game in the states, would it sell well? I know most of us here would buy it, but is there any real potential for them as a company to make a considerable profit off of it given the work it would take to port to a downloadable game or a different system as well as adjust for localization/censoring purposes? That's not even considering the darker nature of the game.

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
wait, mother4 is about to be released?

i just remember when they started the project and thought they would've stopped at some point, but nice to see

looked realy good to me

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You can't really change any of the questionable themes of Mother 3 very easily. For example, the nature of the Magypsies just would not fly well here in America. However, you can't just change them to beautiful women either, because then you'd have to change the whole illusion of Mixylodia at Tanetane island (in which she appears as a beautiful woman as a result of you being high. What would she look like in the American version?).

I think M3 would follow the same path EB did. It'll attract the curious, the people who know Lucas from Smash, but not do too well until much later.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You know, I go through 'phases' on which KO move I am successful with more often. I would have a b-throw phase, a u-air phase, a PKT2 phase, and b-air phase (which I am currently stuck in right now).

Dr Fumbles

Smash Rookie
... 50 shades of pit ...
"Ness"
*looks*
"Mr. Pit will see you now."
---
"I don't do PK. My talents are more.. magical"
"Enlighten me."
---
*arrow edge gaurds a DK into oblivion*
*uninspired Beyonce cover*

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hey guys, what's a good free video editing program that can show video clips side by side? I normally use Windows Movie Maker (it's mediocre, I know), but it can't do that.

I need this because I'm going to make another Ness tech video that I think would be useful, but I need a better video editing program.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
try videopad video editor (free for non-commercial).
or even freemake video converter, i think that has a join function.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I pulled off a PKthunder 2 wallbounce today and recovered to win a semi final, just wanted to thank the Ness forum for pointing that tech out to me

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I pulled off a PKthunder 2 wallbounce today and recovered to win a semi final, just wanted to thank the Ness forum for pointing that tech out to me
Still trying to use it on 3DS. I envy you for being able to use it.

Anyway, good job in the tournament. It seems as you did quite well. Oh, and welcome to Smashboards.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
Just won a local tournament going all Ness. There were 45 entrants and out of staters too :)

So glad Ness is so much better in this game. It always felt like an uphill battle in brawl

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Just won a local tournament going all Ness. There were 45 entrants and out of staters too :)

So glad Ness is so much better in this game. It always felt like an uphill battle in brawl
Hey, good job! Glad to see people using Ness this time.

Noa.

Smash Master
I got 7th at a tournament of 40 people yestersay. I got out of a pretty difficult pool though that had Nick Riddle in it. I'm satisfied with my result cause there were a lot of good players at the event, but I wish I did better.

Though it makes me happy that I haven't been to a single event and placed outside of top 8. This is my second time getting 7th though. Meh. I've always been the highest ranking Ness when I go to tournaments. That's because shaky hasn't gone to any of the same tournaments though.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh geez, whatever happened to Shaky? Is he still tearin' it up as Ness? I used to have endless sessions with that guy lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm sure that shay is playing smash 4 and practicing it. He just hasn't started going to tournaments yet. He was supposed to go to this last Saturday but he didn't show up. There's a tournament this Saturday that he said he'd show up at. He just hasn't gotten around to going to a tournament yet I guess.

It was fun being the best Ness in FL for a short period. Oh well lol.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Have a couple of questions for you guys:

1: How to I get the u-air out at the end of the d-throw, f-air, f-air, n-air, u-air combo I keep reading about? I can do the rest fine but I cant position the u-air properly
2: How do I time the mid air pkfire into d-air lag cancel? I don't need to double jump right?

Apart from that I feel like I'm getting Ness down pat pretty well, Hoping to represent Ness for Tasmania :p

My thoughts go out to the hostages of #SydneySiege.
Fingers crossed that everyone will come out safe

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Have a couple of questions for you guys:

1: How to I get the u-air out at the end of the d-throw, f-air, f-air, n-air, u-air combo I keep reading about? I can do the rest fine but I cant position the u-air properly
2: How do I time the mid air pkfire into d-air lag cancel? I don't need to double jump right?

Apart from that I feel like I'm getting Ness down pat pretty well, Hoping to represent Ness for Tasmania :p
I've never tried that combo and im not sure how it works but i'm pretty sure it's timing the hitbox and positioning yourself as close as possible.
2. just FH PKF and mash Dair. use PKF ASAP on the jump.

Fingers crossed that everyone will come out safe
5 people are already free, hoping for the rest.
and a lot of parents from my school (mine included) don't want me going (:|)

Top Bottom