• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
@ PKBeam PKBeam I can't really comment on the distance from your place or the entry fee (except to ask what it is, I haven't seen it anywhere) but I can tell you that the prevalence of PM and Melee would likely be a non-issue, at tournies there's currently a huge Sm4sh presence so if your tournament results aren't quite enough to make it worth the trip you can have a great day of friendlies and gather experience.
I live in what you could call Greater Sydney.
So, do any teenagers come to the meets? Are the people all adults?

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I went to an event not long ago and there was a balance of teens to people in their 20's, can't say wether or not its the same where you are though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hahaha, i've been going for the past 3 and a half years and i'm still a teen Beam (no really; i'm coming up on 18 myself :) ), and i'm not even the youngest anymore. I used to be haha; and I used to get on everyone's nerves (I still do occasionally... *whistle*); but yeah you'd fit right in my man. Most of the older peeps are veterans who used to come when they were teens I believe. Judging from SC2 which had 40 contestants... yeah this scene is all about the new kids on the block, so my advice is to jump in and give it a try. :D

@ Pazx Pazx this tournament's gonna be a bit of a trial for me; i'm trying to continue shaking things up! Really though, i'd be suuuper excited to meet you and i'd love to play matches. Ever since getting smash wii U i've been so insanely excited about doing 8-player smash with competitive peeps. It'd be so much fun!!!

I'm so sad I won't be in Australia for BAM this year though. I'm actually so proud of V for winning the last Melbourne monthly (not sure if it's the latest one now but still) and I can't wait to play matches with her in person again. Hell, seeing Attila, Jei Jei, Jamwa and all the others again would be so exciting. And the SA peeps usually come for the nationals, so I won't get to see Nikes, Grim Tuesday and Allens until 2016 :'(

Tikao

Smash Ace
I still don't have a Wiiu, but i have an gcc adapter, smash 4 and 2 Amiibo xD

they laughed at me, now i laugh at them

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's a bit early for me; but sure. My NNID is 'dracilus'.

And yes I am serious. I have, for this game's lifespan and for my time in Brawl's, used the wiichuk over the GC controller. I think that was my biggest advantage during the 3DS tournaments and may be a factor as to why I won SC2.

But i've tried and tested everything. In Brawl, everything that could be done on a GC controller could be done on a wiichuk controller with default settings bar DACUS (Ness/Lucas couldn't use it anyway so it was fine). So far, this remains true going into wii U. :)

EDIT: I can't help it but I get the feeling you're all starstruck by this revelation. :laugh:

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
well, at least it's not solo wiimote.
In Brawl, everything that could be done on a GC controller could be done on a wiichuk controller with default settings bar DACUS (Ness/Lucas couldn't use it anyway so it was fine). So far, this remains true going into wii U. :)
how did you do Lucas' ATs then?

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
you know, IRL this would be the part where we both burst into laughter and you look at us with a confused expression and explain that you were serious.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
well, at least it's not solo wiimote.

how did you do Lucas' ATs then?
Reverse stuff was using the move in the other direction then slamming the control stick in the other direction. SH reverse PK Fires were ez pez.

Zap jump was the extra jump button next to shield (c) + PK Fire. I'd argue it was actually easier on the wiichuk than on GC.

Z-air cancelling from AD just required me to AD and press the side of the D-pad at the top of the wii remote (which was my grab button). Easy!

Retreating anything was just tap the control stick in the direction I want to aerial before slamming it back for the retreating effect. This is how it's done by most players on 3DS and it works just as efficiently.

... I'm actually struggling to think of any other major ATs that required complex button inputs. Pivot grabs were cakewalks, dustersliding was fine, magnet pulling was bread and butter stuff when messing around, sliding off -> PKT2 sliding was the same as everyone else.... yeah.

EDIT: Also i'd almost sig that quote above if it wasn't for the fact that i'm keeping Nido's quote out of nostalgia and because I think the guy is awesome (but he only plays PM these days so the days of us being in the same pool at nationals is gone now! :( )

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Reverse stuff was using the move in the other direction then slamming the control stick in the other direction. SH reverse PK Fires were ez pez.

Zap jump was the extra jump button next to shield (c) + PK Fire. I'd argue it was actually easier on the wiichuk than on GC.

Z-air cancelling from AD just required me to AD and press the side of the D-pad at the top of the wii remote (which was my grab button). Easy!

Retreating anything was just tap the control stick in the direction I want to aerial before slamming it back for the retreating effect. This is how it's done by most players on 3DS and it works just as efficiently.

... I'm actually struggling to think of any other major ATs that required complex button inputs. Pivot grabs were cakewalks, dustersliding was fine, magnet pulling was bread and butter stuff when messing around, sliding off -> PKT2 sliding was the same as everyone else.... yeah.

EDIT: Also i'd almost sig that quote above if it wasn't for the fact that i'm keeping Nido's quote out of nostalgia and because I think the guy is awesome (but he only plays PM these days so the days of us being in the same pool at nationals is gone now! :( )
I sent you a friend request.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

And yes I am serious. I have, for this game's lifespan and for my time in Brawl's, used the wiichuk over the GC controller. I think that was my biggest advantage during the 3DS tournaments and may be a factor as to why I won SC2.

But i've tried and tested everything. In Brawl, everything that could be done on a GC controller could be done on a wiichuk controller with default settings bar DACUS (Ness/Lucas couldn't use it anyway so it was fine). So far, this remains true going into wii U. :)

EDIT: I can't help it but I get the feeling you're all starstruck by this revelation. :laugh:
I am but if you do well with it that's all that matters. The only issue I may see for you is input lag.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

Luco my nnid is Lochinator or you can search Lochy also.

ilysm

sleepy
Wait... I thought Lucas COULD dacus in Brawl.

Regardless,do any of you play the piano? In most songs one hand plays the melody while the other helps harmonize in the background. But some difficult ones require you to pay equal attention to both hands, which can give me a real headache.

That's what wiichuck feels like to me.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Wait... I thought Lucas COULD dacus in Brawl.

Regardless,do any of you play the piano? In most songs one hand plays the melody while the other helps harmonize in the background. But some difficult ones require you to pay equal attention to both hands, which can give me a real headache.

That's what wiichuck feels like to me.
I use to play piano but then I stopped and forgot how to play.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
At that point in time it was almost 1 PM for me. So you're 8 hours 'ahead', it's actually 16 hours behind. :p

We'll sync it up later, my family wants me to be with them for a bit today, i'm sorry!

Lucas and Ness COULD DACUS in Brawl but it was useless for them to do so, is what I meant. :)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Luco Luco I'd highly recommend getting a Classic Controller Pro or Wii U Pro Controller (your choice). If you come from the Wiichuck combination and use either of those you will have a significant advantage over EVERY other type of controller. If I were you I'd never switch to the GCC (I'm just really still upset that I made the change).

Pros over GCC:
Digital Triggers
4 Shoulder Buttons (Jump Shield Grab/Attack/Special)
Better face button layout
4 shoulder buttons oh my god
Larger deadzones on control stick (CCP) and/or easier to push stick (Both, makes perfect pivot etc easier)
I cannot stress the benefit of 4 shoulder buttons + c stick because jumping with your left index finger means you can do absolutely anything in terms of C stick/face buttons which makes your aerial game incredible, you'll be used to 3 of the 4 buttons anyway and the 4th one is your choice (grab/attack) which open up some neat tech possibilities (ie smashes while holding items, easier glide tossing etc)

Also, can't make SC3! Bummed about it, fam drove up to Sydney today but they're coming back on Friday so I decided it wasn't worth going. Would be keen to attend an OOS tourney soon though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Errr, well, if I get big controller problems or come against a wall I can't climb over with the wiichuk i'll consider it okay? =D My brother is using a pro controller and I know a few people around the place do, so I know whatcha mean. The wiichuk is very fluid for me though, besides I have mild teurets so it's nice having the ability to move my hands around. :laugh:

Awwww man, cause i'll be in Israel for most of 2015, so I won't be able to come to an OoS until probably BAM 2016.... makes me saaaaad :p

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Errr, well, if I get big controller problems or come against a wall I can't climb over with the wiichuk i'll consider it okay? =D My brother is using a pro controller and I know a few people around the place do, so I know whatcha mean. The wiichuk is very fluid for me though, besides I have mild teurets so it's nice having the ability to move my hands around. :laugh:

Awwww man, cause i'll be in Israel for most of 2015, so I won't be able to come to an OoS until probably BAM 2016.... makes me saaaaad :p
I used to be able to use the Wiimote in Brawl, but now it feels so foreign to me. Figures. Anyway, stay safe in Israel. Don't mean to worry you, but I have a bad feeling things may get nasty in the next few years possibly.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I used to be able to use the Wiimote in Brawl, but now it feels so foreign to me. Figures. Anyway, stay safe in Israel. Don't mean to worry you, but I have a bad feeling things may get nasty in the next few years possibly.
Things have been nasty there for years long gone; and they'll probably continue into the future. It's a fact of life I have to live with, but the good news is that the program is like... really, really safe. No person that's gone on this program has ever died afaik and Israel is like... THE first world country, despite the stuff that goes on there. I'll be okay, I'm pretty sure. Can't wait to come back and tell you all about it! :)

But I don't leave until late January, so I have some time. ^_^

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Things have been nasty there for years long gone; and they'll probably continue into the future. It's a fact of life I have to live with, but the good news is that the program is like... really, really safe. No person that's gone on this program has ever died afaik and Israel is like... THE first world country, despite the stuff that goes on there. I'll be okay, I'm pretty sure. Can't wait to come back and tell you all about it! :)

But I don't leave until late January, so I have some time. ^_^
That makes me feel better. But stay safe nonetheless and have a good time, and I'll probably be saying this again in late January.

ilysm

sleepy
Hm, really? I figured since his DACUS was so far and his usmash was so unreasonably good, it was used. But now that you mention it I haven't really seen it in the few Brawl tourneys I've seen. Maybe it's because I come from a Project M background, and Lucas players would slide across the stage into offense-up usmash for days.

Hope you have a good time and your trip goes well, dude! Sounds like a pretty cool experience. :)

Tikao

Smash Ace
some chararcter's dacus just gave them like 0,01 momentum forward, so it wasn't realy worth it and/or running usmash gave you more momentum forward, so there was no real use for them

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Happy new year to all Aussie Nesses! May 2015 bless us with useful ATs to help supplement our gameplay and possibly our recovery...

Oh. And those GCC adapters.
Iirc Lucas's was one of the farthest because of the momentum of his dash attack.
Uh, no... He barely gained any distance. Even so... it's not like Usmash is something you want to throw out randomly unless it's from a dtilt lock. :(

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Happy new year to all Aussie Nesses! May 2015 bless us with useful ATs to help supplement our gameplay and possibly our recovery...

Oh. And those GCC adapters.
Wait, but I'm American-Oh, I see how it is...

Regardless, Happy New Years to us all.

Top Bottom