• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSE is overrated

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Honestly, do you think that the time used to make the SSE would of been better spent to do something useful like improve Wi-Fi, add more characters, and/or improve the game engine? There seems to be a lot of blind followers of SSE.

I would rather play as a generic Koopa Troopa in Smash than have the SSE existing.

LSDX

Wah!
Honestly, do you think that the time used to make the SSE would of been better spent to do something useful like improve Wi-Fi, add more characters, and/or improve the game engine? There seems to be a lot of blind followers of SSE.

I would rather play as a generic Koopa Troopa in Smash than have the SSE existing.
QFT; but no, everyone wants the new flashy stuffs with cinematics and whatnot. The content that could have been added without the SSE could have been do massive with a load of new characters, stages, music (more or less), and stickers (no). Generic Koopa Troopa ftw.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Different people worked on the SSE and pretty much everything else. Why else would it be in two disks?
Load of new characters? No. Sakurai had every character except Sonic and maybe Wolf at the beginning.
New Stages? Like I said, different teams worked on them. I think those people worked on Stickers, though.
Also, SSE is far from overrated. Hardly anyone likes it. I know I dont.
Pretty much, without the SSE, the only different thing would be maybe stickers and the fact that Brawl was released so late.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's because the scumbag videogame critics always criticised Smash for being thin on the ice for 1player, which I suppose is true, but they're always the ones that push developers to do things that the purists don't care about. We care about a deep Smash experience, the reviewers just look at all the flashy thingys and give it a 9.5/10. Most casuals listen very carefully to these review sites, IGN for example, which quite frankly, are just corporate suck ups and completely unprofessional.
Oh and yes it is overrated, but f*** it, we're a minority, who outside of here feels our pain?

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I hate how in every stage they just recycled the main theme, with different instrumentals.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
The time spent on the SSE was truly a waste indeed. A game like Smash does NOT need a storyline.

LSDX

Wah!
How can it be overrated if nobody likes it?
*Almost forgot this very key detail* >_>

I can only enjoy the SSE in very small doses, but you have to give at least SOME credit for the work put into it. Persoanlly, I found more personality put into Melee's Adventure Mode. It sounds absurd, but at least you could put your own reasoning into that story instead of having a mediocre one handed to you like in Brawl.

My major issue is the fact that they did not make a few of the stages available in the SSE playable as stages in VS. Mode and whatnot.

Denzi

Smash Master
It's because the scumbag videogame critics always criticised Smash for being thin on the ice for 1player, which I suppose is true, but they're always the ones that push developers to do things that the purists don't care about. We care about a deep Smash experience, the reviewers just look at all the flashy thingys and give it a 9.5/10. Most casuals listen very carefully to these review sites, IGN for example, which quite frankly, are just corporate suck ups and completely unprofessional.
Oh and yes it is overrated, but f*** it, we're a minority, who outside of here feels our pain?
OP = Truth

Quote from Teran17 also = Truth

Can everyone feel the truthiness?

Vlade

Social Outcast
I only did it because I thought it was the quickest way to unlock all the characters. Turns out that completing this task was rather tedious.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I can't say I liked it very much, but I can see where they were going with it. For all of those that could never play against anyone else, they added an expanded 1 - player.
I only liked it because of how long it was, so many times I complained that games were so short.

You really can't say that it doesn't deserve to be there.
But you can always express your hate for it.

Alzi

Smash Master
I enjoyed it the first time but didn't bother completing it again since theres no point. I'm actually glad that they went down hill with brawl in some parts since it will get me hyped up for the next smash game.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
SSE is very good fun in co-op mode.

But it needed more variety in its level design. Too much of it was based on beating up henchmen; more variety would make it a more enjoyable experience.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You can't really add that much to a side-scrolling version of a smash game.
It was probably designed to have a small story and to get you used to every character.

Cheezey

Smash Rookie
I started skipping the cinematics after the first one, so I just blindly and unknowingly jump over every enemy in the game while running towards the doors with no understanding whatsoever of what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, or why I'm with the people I am.

That being said, it's ****ing terrible.

POKE40

Smash Lord
SSE is practically a kirby game.
except:

-recycled music (annoying)
-recycled levels (hence the great maze. use wario to get around:laugh:)
-only reason is to unlock characters (my reason)
-story is okay and only okay until the great maze... then ur screwed
-it is not overrated in the smash boards apparently :chuckle:

oh yeah... we don't need more characters... all-star is long enough :p

§leepy God

Smash Master
oh yeah... we don't need more characters... all-star is long enough :p
lol, ain't that the turth. =P

Back on Topic, the SSE is not liked in a lot of reviewers so it's not overrated. It's been overhyped by the creater of Smash himself, but not overrated.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You know SSE is probably the cause of some the detrimental effects to the competitive aspect of the game.

And because both SSE and multiplayer need to share the same mechanics otherwise IGNorance would be all WTF to them, no?

No hitstun and that you could cancel momentum with an attack was placed so SSE on harder difficulties wouldn't be lollerskates since enemies kill you significantly faster either way. It's already kinda lollerskates, but you know how some people will baw about the bosses giving them SSB64 hitstun otherwise, no?

Autosweetspot ledges so situations where you ALMOST made it to the ledge but then fall to your doom. I mean, Sakurai wouldn't like people to have bitter experiences like that, no?

Defensive options being more abuse-able than in previous installments due to the fact that enemies basically give out ludicrous knockback on higher difficulties and Sakurai probably wanted the game to not be insanely hard (to appeal to the casual audience that may dare play SSE on Intense lol).

No shield stun since on Very Hard or higher, shield stun + their damage to your shield would probably cause a break 3/4th of the time?

Seems to add up...but again, all theorycrafting...

But I'm going to place the blame anyway.

It's all SSE's fault and how Sakurai emphasized more development on the single player aspect this time around (bad decision, fighting games don't do that...often. <_<)

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
You know SSE is probably the cause of some the detrimental effects to the competitive aspect of the game.

And because both SSE and multiplayer need to share the same mechanics otherwise IGNorance would be all WTF to them, no?

No hitstun and that you could cancel momentum with an attack was placed so SSE on harder difficulties wouldn't be lollerskates since enemies kill you significantly faster either way. It's already kinda lollerskates, but you know how some people will baw about the bosses giving them SSB64 hitstun otherwise, no?

Autosweetspot ledges so situations where you ALMOST made it to the ledge but then fall to your doom. I mean, Sakurai wouldn't like people to have bitter experiences like that, no?

Defensive options being more abuse-able than in previous installments due to the fact that enemies basically give out ludicrous knockback on higher difficulties and Sakurai probably wanted the game to not be insanely hard (to appeal to the casual audience that may dare play SSE on Intense lol).

No shield stun since on Very Hard or higher, shield stun + their damage to your shield would probably cause a break 3/4th of the time?

It's all SSE's fault and how Sakurai emphasized more development on the single player aspect this time around (bad decision, fighting games don't do that...often. <_<)
WOW this actually makes a lot of sense! This is probably one of the smartest and well-thought out posts I've read. Well done.

Voss

Smash Rookie
Arg... SSE was rather wasteful of my time. But I completed it anyway just to feel good about owning the game. Another one of Sakurai's mistakes with the franchise.

DNFanatic

Smash Cadet
Well in my opinion, I liked that really made a story to go along with the new adventure mode. But the only thing I was annoying was just the length. If they did it with the original length but with the story I wouldve liked it a little more.

Pablo51

Smash Rookie
Personally, the ONLY thing I liked about the SSE was -you're going to love this- The Great Maze.

Yes, the one part of SSE that most everyone hated: T3h Great Maze

But I liked it, why? Because once I got the map of it, it was the closest thing to Melee's 1P mode than anything. A string of 1 vs 1 battles with a little platforming in between. None of the crappy and annoying enemies because you can just skip them. :p

Actually, the only thing I really didn't like were the enemies....

The cutscenes were good, the story was solid, stickers were fun to customize, and the thought of Snake+Lucario+Metaknight on a team could bring a tear to one's eye.

Denzi

Smash Master

Wow... everything... makes sense. i personally would not be suprised at all if this is the explanation.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321

I would also imagine that they slowed this game down so that Wi-F matches would run more smoothly (oh the irony if this is true...).

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I played SSE for the first time directly on Intense level. And except for the absolutely cool cinematics, this was one of the most annoying, unfair, nauseating experiences in video gaming for me. One of these little Primids hit you and bam! 40% AT ONCE... This story mode was like walking around and getting kicked around ALL THE TIME. I remember having 500%, and being in a closed environment where if your enemies hit you, you would rebound 10 times on every wall.

SSE is like running a 100 meter dash knowing that any idiot can come on the tracks to push you around and kick your ***.

It doesn't learn you how to play well, it learns you to run, shield, run, shield all the ****ing time...

Oh, and let's not talk about the fight Tabuu...

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Everyone hates SSE, therefore it cannot be overrated.

I liked it. It was essentially a freebie.

Flame Beast

Smash Rookie
The SSE is just the most annoying thing i've ever done in a videogame.

Enemies
Annoying! They are just annoying! One hit and you take 20% damage and good knockback. They break shields very easily, they come in large groups... BORING!
When you are at +100% damage they do insane knockback and they make you bouncing into walls for 10-20 times!

Levels
They are very long, with recycled music and annoying. The only funny level for me was the Great Maze, i don't know why. :dizzy:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It was overhyped but never overated. =/

I liked the cinematics though. That was about it.

PKOWNAGE

Smash Rookie
I don't care who thinks it's overrated or who thinks the space used to make it was a waste.
I like the SSE, I think it's fun, the movies are awesome, the way the ending ties into the intro is cool, the bosses are cool, the levels are great, and it's an all around awesome mode. I don't think SSE is overrated, I like it.

Dark Mew

Smash Cadet
The SSE was... okay... but my only complain is that Sonic only appears AT THE END. -_- Why not put him in earlier? Like Snake was?? ><

And the movies were a good add on. ^^

terry12312

Smash Rookie
I hate the sse, its not the sse itself, by all means, going on a pretty godlike 1-man-army rampage trough various levels really is fun, but I hate sse that it unlocks ALL unlockable characters and you require to beat it to complete challenges(clear boss mode on very hard/intense). one slight change would've made the sse a LOT better, that change would be that characters that are locked in the main game that join your sse team stay locked and are only playable in sse. that way you would actually have to do something to get them characters unocked.

.Marik

is a social misfit

I think the purpose of it was to get more mediocre, and new players, used to the game, and to make them go all "Wow! This is cool!11" so that they would start playing the franchise, and in the long run, Sakurai makes more money.

I also liked the "Great Maze" part, it was my favourite. Facing the doppelganger clones was fun.

But at the same time, I believe that Sakurai tried to do something new to the Smash Bros series, to make it more... unique, and so players could try a whole new experience to the franchise.

I personally think he did a decent job at it.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
How is it that something that a large majority of people were disappointed in could be considered as over rated, if no one really liked it in the first place?

D:

:093:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
No no no no NO! You got that all wrong, you should say they should remove Masterpiece and Nintendo Chronicles, why because they were a waste of space. Masterpiece mode was just demo's of the old games that you might already own, but can play them for a few minutes or seconds. To me, that's a waste of space because nobody that I know is playing it, or will play it. Now on to Nintnedo Chronicles, that was the biggest waste of space of them all, it just show games that was in NoA with no explaination, why add that when you can just go to Wikipedia and look at those games, when it came out, and how was the game play.

So bottom line, Masterpiece and Nintndo Chronicles are a waste of space. The SSE was just overhyped by the updates, to some people, they like or love the SSE, of course I love it because it play's like Kirby Super Star, my favroite Kirby game. Also, you can't just add more chracters to make the game better, of course improve Wi-Fi would, but you have to remember that the game was rushed, also the online lag's wasn't tested in the US, it was tested in Japan, since they got faster internet, of course they must have blue conection almost all the time to use having green at best most of the time, (some time's we get blue).

Over all, the SSE isn't the problem, it's the two useless modes I just said, and the game was rushed, so of course, some sacrfices was made, even if they wern't seen till later it was released like the Brawl on the NoA Wii incedent, but I won't get started there.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Masterpieces was definetly a waste of space.

I hate how they only give you 40 seconds of one of my favourite games, F-Zero.

Man, it hurts. D:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Masterpieces was definetly a waste of space.

I hate how they only give you 40 seconds of one of my favourite games, F-Zero.

Man, it hurts. D:
Yeah, this is pretty lame... As if anyone would buy such old games today... And they know anyone can get them on their PC using emulators. So why don't they let us have a cool, real experience?

Top Bottom