• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSE is overrated

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Masterpiece = Worst thing added to Smash Bros Series Next to tripping.

SSE was Good in my opinion.. Even though repetitive..

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Its a sidescrolling platforming adventure, how is it repetitive? If thats the premise. I say that stickers should have never been and they should have added characters instead but im okay for what I have.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It could be repackaged as its own game.
It was longer than most other side-scrollers.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
SSE had ONE problem, in actuality. Length. Annoying enemies, fighting giant mobs, all of these thing people only didn't like because they happened so much. But you have to keep in mind, the game was forced to be that long.
The developers needed the stages to be long enough to warrant having four lives. The developers wanted to make sure that people could get practice with all the characters. When you think about it, there's a reason for the game to be like it is.

If you reason that the enemies shouldn't have been so simple, that would detract from the platform experience of it. Less enemies, there wouldn't actually be enough. Etcetera, etcetera.
I don't think the game should be the way it is, but I think the developers had their reasons to do it.

Also, I have PROOF that SSE trains players for all brawl basics. Think about the enemies designs. Sparky (the floating cloud) has a weak point on the top of his back, the battery. Hitting this is the equivalent of a well aimed meteor, no? All enemies are designed for a specific aspect of brawl combat.
Primids are the side attacks, autolancers are ranged attacks, those rolling wheels are like dash attacks, and I'm not gonna bother with more.

I enjoy SSE, but only slightly. It's too long, and you get ***** on the harder difficulties (I'm playing on hard.) I don't think that it should be considered terrible, though. It's CLOSE to being really good, but it passes the line into tedious and irksome.

things that need changing
-limiting the amount of enemies
-Less total play time
-Don't make the final stage 3/8ths of the total playtime.

randomselect

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say SSE is bad just not the best or very great.:ohwell:
It WAS repetitive. All the stages were basically the same just only had some details changed.
The story wasn't very hard to follow but if you did it was a tad BORING.(At least for me)

BUT it did kinda give you a feel for Brawlfor those of us that didn't really now how to play,(but I am sure everyone here knew what they were doing) and did give lonely players something to do instead of playing Classic 10 times in a row.

Masterpieces? Eliminate.
Chronicle? WTH is this for? Unneeded.

I hope you had nothing better to do than read my babble.:)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
SSE is very good fun in co-op mode.
No it's not. Co-op mode has to be the biggest piece of bull**** that's on SSE. Not only are you forced to share lives instead of splitting them, but Player 2 has no importance whatsoever. If Player 1 dies and uses the last life, then Player 2 is unable to continue. If player 2 dies, then Player 1 can still go on. You play that **** on Intense mode? Prepare to swear a lot at your friend.

I (honestly) like SSE. I'd be lying if I said I didn't, since I did go out of my way to get 100% completion of it. However, what everyone said here is quite true. SSE is full of bull, and they've honestly could've done a lot better with it (and make Intense mode hard and not just filled with dumb shit).

I'm also one of those people who liked The Great Maze, just wish it wasn't so freaken long.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Overhyped it may be, but certainly not overrated. Think about this:

Autolancers, Nagagogs, Armights, etc let you practice dodging and defensive tactics.

Spaaks, Greaps, and Gamygas, etc are for sweetspotting.

Jyks, Roturrets, and R.O.B. Launchers are for evasion tactics.

Mites, Floows, and Poppants are good for comboing.

Poppants, Roaders, and Cymuls test your reaction time.

Other enemies like Trowlons, Bucculi, and Metal Primids help with other battle tactics. And everything you've experience and learned must be utilized with each boss.

SSE helps you with the game.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I enjoyed the SSE but I do agree that developers should have used more of their time working on the main part of the game: multiplayer. Masterpieces and Nintendo Chronicles are some of the worst ideas for a Smash game. Imagine what new songs could have been added in exchange for the Zelda: Ocarina of Time demo...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
SSE was pretty awful.
It was way too long and repetitive, and the higher difficulties feel REALLY artificial. The story was bad and had no dialogue, the enemies were lame and uncreative, and overall, was a complete waste of budget, time, and space. Honestly, I used to absolutely hate the melee adventure mode, but after playing the SSE, I now realize how much of a genius work of art it is.

But them again, I suppose it's real purpose was just to appease IGNorant people, and those darn casuals. And I supposed it fulfilled it's purpose that way.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The SSE is okay until you realize that it's incredibly repetitive. The thing that I hated the most was the storyline. Not only does it make little sense, but the Kriby characters are the center of attention.

I can't understand the motivations behind the villains or the characters, or why everyone is in this stupid trophy world.

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
I was fine with the sse, I won't play it again, but it was a fun extra challenge, and lets be real I'm fine with the time put into it, but if they could return all the time it took to put tripping in.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I am another one of those people who think that the Chronicles and Master Pieces were useless. However, I don't think it took any more than a week to put them in.

That post about how Brawl's physics were centered around SSE's gameplay is a theory that makes perfect sense. If Sakurai was given more time to make Brawl, he could of balance out the multiplayer mechanics while keeping the SSE physics exclusive to the SSE.

The only thing I don't get is why Sakurai put in tripping. It definetly wouldn't enhance the single player experience, nor would it make multiplayer funner, and even casual people dislike it.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
SSE certainly didn't make or break Brawl for me, but it was fun and I appreciate it's inclusion. Does it affect any of the goings-on at tourneys? No. Was it a fun mode to play with a friend. Sure thing.
Well, in a way, it kind of did affect tournaments. If the developers would have spent more time on the actual multiplayer, it would be way deeper than it is now. We wouldn't have a huge community splice, and everyone would be happy.

Also,
Mites, Floows, and Poppants are good for comboing.
Lol

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I thought SSE worked on a different basis of physics than the actual normal gameplay???

Anyway, just be glad they didn't start using the word teamwork every 2 seconds like Sonic Adventure 2/ Heroes :laugh:

I don't understand why everyone teams up with each other. I know they are fighting a greater evil, but once they had beat Tabuu, why didn't Bowser kidnap Peach or something instead of all standing together on a cliff?

I enjoyed the mode, loved the great maze, liked the cutscenes, but that was it.
SSE got the mode right, Melee's adventure mode had actual references to the series in the game.
If you had SSE's gameplay with the worlds and enemies of the characters from the game, it would be great, it's just that the Primids were boring on the whole.

FInally, why couldn't they have fit Mushroomy Kingdom in there somewhere for a scrolling stage? Doesn't Mario go to or near the wasteland at one point?

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
It was overrated, it was alright, I wouldn't go through it again, but its sorta nice how they blended all the characters in one story(except for Sonic who was thrown in last minute and Wolf/Jiggz/TL)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It wasn't bad at all. It's a good way to get stickers and trophies, but some stages are stupid/too long. Other than that, the real complaint is with Classic.

It's a boring remake of the first game that just does it by series. Melee did it right with complete randomness. But seriously, where's my Metal Mario and Giant Donkey Kong? Or for that matter, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish. The target tests SUCKED. I'd rather go through TT 35 overall times than 5 times that!!

All-Star could've been better. I wish it was more Classic was with some randomisity but still kept a definate order. Seriously, facing 7 characters in a row without a breather is effing stupid.

Dark Deku

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, do you think that the time used to make the SSE would of been better spent to do something useful like improve Wi-Fi, add more characters, and/or improve the game engine? There seems to be a lot of blind followers of SSE.

I would rather play as a generic Koopa Troopa in Smash than have the SSE existing.
It's 100% stupid.

Dark Mew

Smash Cadet
Adventure Mode was... uh...
I can't even find a word for it. I'd prefer SSE over Adventure Mode. I hated that thing.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I didn't really enjoy it...

playing it on co-op though was 10 times better but even that got boring once you reached the great maze.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Dark Mew

Smash Cadet
Co-op was a hassle for me. My partner mostly got in the way, but he helped me out on the bosses, which was the only good thing about co-op for me. I never did the Great Maze in co-op; I figured it would only get harder. The bosses were easier, anyway.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
First night of japanese release, we had the import. Like four of us stayed up playing through intense co-op. Beat it that night, enjoyed it.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I liked SSE for the first week i got brawl. It helped me get a lot of the characters and the cinematics were cool...but after that first week, it got REALLY BORING!

If I were Nintendo, I would have definetly used the amount of time for SSE to:

1. Improve the Wi-fi (I HATE THE LAG!!!! :mad: Then again, who likes the lag?)

2. Add more characters. (no more clones. *stares at Toon Link*)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's tedious I'll say that much.. I had to replace my Wii shortly after getting Brawl and had to go through the whole mode a second time and that was definitely a drag.

Top Bottom