• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Southern Ontario Power Rankings - 31/07/14 Update

-Googs

Smash Lord
Welcome to Southern Ontario! Wanna be on our power ranking? Great! All you gotta do is be good friends with Tinman and attend! It's that easy! Be consistent? No no you don't need to do that. Beat people who are actually skilled? You don't even need to do that either! All you gotta do is beat other players who attend often, regardless of their skill!!

smh.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Im friends with Tin and Im not listed....

Therefore your logic = Invalid.
My logic is if a player who attends often, beats another player who attends often, they have a more likely chance of being ranked...than say a player who attends sometimes, not at all but quite a few tournaments...and beats more skilled players.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i'd day "hey that means i should be on pr" but i dont beat anyone regularly ;)

-Googs

Smash Lord
Just ignore Googs, all he does is talk **** about Tin, regardless of whether what he says makes sense.
That's not all I talk about, you're wrong. I almost always make sense, my last post about tin made perfect sense. If you need clarity re-read it and i'm sure you will understand it. If anyone else thinks that my posts lose credibility because of my opinion of tin, then you're ignorant. No matter what you read has bias or was influenced by an opinion of something, mine tends to be extreme and if you cannot grasp that then you're probably really dumb. Yeah i'm often too harsh or extreme, but for a reason, which has given me the results that I anticipated. I may seem like a complete asshole, but somebody needs to be one.

In before swordgard with his foolproof logic proving me completely wrong.

-Googs

Smash Lord
The salt...

ITS EVERYWHEREEEEE

you know that Tin Man wasnt the only one in on this right?
I'm not even close to being salty. Your right it was Tin Man, Iliad, Joe, and Meek who contributed to it. I am more aware of who made what choices than you are. My opinion remains the same.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Actually! Live in Ontario? Great! You can be Pr as long as you attend our Tourneys and place on occasions! Wait, what's this? You go to school in another place other than Ontario?! This is an Outrage! I'm sorry, you're just not Pr material, I mean you place and all, and are from Ontario, but, we can't rank you.

-Googs

Smash Lord

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's not all I talk about, you're wrong. I almost always make sense, my last post about tin made perfect sense.
Oh really now?
All you gotta do [to be on the Southern Ontario Power Rankings]is be good friends with Tinman and attend!
Give me one example of a person who attends frequently, is friends with Tin Man, places badly and is on the PR. Hell, give me a shred of evidence of how being friends with Tin directly helped somebody get on the PR.
I can provide an example against, which would be Stef. She falls into the first 3 categories (attends frequently, friends with Tin, places badly) and - OH LOOK! SHE'S NOT ON THE PR!
No offense to Stef btw, we love her. Just an example.
Be consistent? No no you don't need to do that.
Give me an example of how somebody who was extremely inconsistent remained on the PR/was put on the PR.
Beat people who are actually skilled? You don't even need to do that either!
Give me an example of someone who got to the PR without beating skilled players.
And don't try to pull any **** like 'there are only like 4-5 people in our region that are 'skilled', so yeah a bunch of people got on the PR without beating skilled players'. I mean skilled relative to the average player in our region.
All you gotta do is beat other players who attend often, regardless of their skill!!
Give me an example of this. Btw, if it were true that all you need to do is beat people who attend often (regardless of their skill), then there would EASILY be 20+ people on the PR.

Now, after you somehow manage to prove these 4 things, you'll then have to prove how all the blame deserves to be placed solely on Tin.
f you need clarity re-read it and i'm sure you will understand it. If anyone else thinks that my posts lose credibility because of my opinion of tin, then you're ignorant.
I don't think your post loses credibility because of your opinion of Tin. I think it loses credibility because you make unfounded, false blanket statements about how players get ranked.
[my opinion] tends to be extreme and if you cannot grasp that then you're probably really dumb.
Yes, your opinion is extreme, I can grasp this concept. But having an extreme opinion =/= having a validated opinion.
By the way, saying things like "if you cannot grasp that then you're probably really dumb" doesn't make a point, and it doesn't better any points you've already had. It has no purpose, and anyone can say that about anything; doesn't mean it's true. Watch;
Googs, you're not on the PR because you're bad, and if you can't understand that then you're an idiot.

See how easy that was?

Yeah i'm often too harsh or extreme, but for a reason,
Now show me that you're being harsh for good reasons, cause so far you haven't even presented any reasons.
I may seem like a complete asshole, but somebody needs to be one.
Nobody needs to be an *******. It's called making an argument in a civilized manner, and if you can't understand this concept, then you're an idiot.
OH LOOK, I DID IT AGAIN.

My logic is if a player who attends often, beats another player who attends often, they have a more likely chance of being ranked...than say a player who attends sometimes, not at all but quite a few tournaments...and beats more skilled players.
This logic is certainly far off from your last post, which said things like
-All you need to do to get ranked is to be friends with Tin and attend
-You don't need to be consistent
-You don't need to beat skilled players
-All you need to do is beat people that attend often, regardless of their skill

Honestly, it seems like the reason you talk all this **** about Tin and the PR is because you yourself didn't get ranked. I think it's fair to not rank you, how often do you attend tournaments in GTA?
I've been here since June, and I've attended every tourney I could, which are the following
SiD
SiD2
No BS 1
SiD3
SiD4
No BS 2
Warlocks' Domain
SiD5
(Those are in chronological order btw. SiD3 and No BS 1 might be switched, not sure)
And iirc, you've been to 2 of them. SiD1 and No BS 1 (correct me if I'm wrong on that).
Now do you really think that somebody deserves to be on the PR after placing well TWICE in the last 8 tournies (which spanned over 6 months) with the placings being in June and August? (iirc)

I've seen you posting on the boards for a while now, and I've noticed that you like to talk a lot of **** about Tin. I figured that I should just ignore you and not bother to respond, but seeing as how in this case not only were you talking false, unfounded ****, it was improperly directed solely at Tin Man and you tried to justify it

I'm amazed at the patience that Tin has, to take all this **** from you and still let you enter his tournies. Tin is doing this community a HUGE favour by taking the role of leader and TO upon himself (most of the time, I'm aware others hold tournies), finding venues for tournies and even organizing weekly smashfests!
If you don't like the way Tin runs his tournies, don't come. Run your own.
If you don't like the way rankings are decided, join the panel. Have you even asked?
If you can't join the panel for whatever reason, make an organized argument in a civilized manner rather than just insulting people.

Bing

Smash Master
I did see the top of the nail until you smashed the **** outta it.

I agree entirely with what you said, Tin even goes as far as to help us Melee guys, he's doing a lot of work for something he loves, if theres an issue, go find a tissue :)

-Googs

Smash Lord
Oh really now?

Give me one example of a person who attends frequently, is friends with Tin Man, places badly and is on the PR. Hell, give me a shred of evidence of how being friends with Tin directly helped somebody get on the PR.
I can provide an example against, which would be Stef. She falls into the first 3 categories (attends frequently, friends with Tin, places badly) and - OH LOOK! SHE'S NOT ON THE PR!
No offense to Stef btw, we love her. Just an example.

Give me an example of how somebody who was extremely inconsistent remained on the PR/was put on the PR.

Give me an example of someone who got to the PR without beating skilled players.
And don't try to pull any **** like 'there are only like 4-5 people in our region that are 'skilled', so yeah a bunch of people got on the PR without beating skilled players'. I mean skilled relative to the average player in our region.

Give me an example of this. Btw, if it were true that all you need to do is beat people who attend often (regardless of their skill), then there would EASILY be 20+ people on the PR.

Now, after you somehow manage to prove these 4 things, you'll then have to prove how all the blame deserves to be placed solely on Tin.

I don't think your post loses credibility because of your opinion of Tin. I think it loses credibility because you make unfounded, false blanket statements about how players get ranked.

Yes, your opinion is extreme, I can grasp this concept. But having an extreme opinion =/= having a validated opinion.
By the way, saying things like "if you cannot grasp that then you're probably really dumb" doesn't make a point, and it doesn't better any points you've already had. It has no purpose, and anyone can say that about anything; doesn't mean it's true. Watch;
Googs, you're not on the PR because you're bad, and if you can't understand that then you're an idiot.

See how easy that was?

Now show me that you're being harsh for good reasons, cause so far you haven't even presented any reasons.

Nobody needs to be an *******. It's called making an argument in a civilized manner, and if you can't understand this concept, then you're an idiot.
OH LOOK, I DID IT AGAIN.

This logic is certainly far off from your last post, which said things like
-You don't need to be consistent
-You don't need to beat skilled players
-All you need to do is beat people that attend often, regardless of their skill

Honestly, it seems like the reason you talk all this **** about Tin and the PR is because you yourself didn't get ranked. I think it's fair to not rank you, how often do you attend tournaments in GTA?
I've been here since June, and I've attended every tourney I could, which are the following
SiD
SiD2
No BS 1
SiD3
SiD4
No BS 2
Warlocks' Domain
SiD5
(Those are in chronological order btw. SiD3 and No BS 1 might be switched, not sure)
And iirc, you've been to 2 of them. SiD1 and No BS 1 (correct me if I'm wrong on that).
Now do you really think that somebody deserves to be on the PR after placing well TWICE in the last 8 tournies (which spanned over 6 months) with the placings being in June and August? (iirc)

I've seen you posting on the boards for a while now, and I've noticed that you like to talk a lot of **** about Tin. I figured that I should just ignore you and not bother to respond, but seeing as how in this case not only were you talking false, unfounded ****, it was improperly directed solely at Tin Man and you tried to justify it

I'm amazed at the patience that Tin has, to take all this **** from you and still let you enter his tournies. Tin is doing this community a HUGE favour by taking the role of leader and TO upon himself (most of the time, I'm aware others hold tournies), finding venues for tournies and even organizing weekly smashfests!
If you don't like the way rankings are decided, join the panel. Have you even asked?
If you can't join the panel for whatever reason, make an organized argument in a civilized manner rather than just insulting people.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oh sure. Talk out your ***, have somebody argue in a way that actually makes sense, then play it off as if you're trying to troll.
Yeah, that's never happened before in the entirety of the history of everything that's happened on the internet. Real original:glare:

-Googs

Smash Lord
Oh really now?

Poke, Il337.

Googs, you're not on the PR because you're bad, and if you can't understand that then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ViLuK3p8o&feature=related

You were right in the first sentence, then you started to be dumb again right after that.

Then i'd have to deal with annoying people like you
Considered it, but i'm to busy with the whitby power rankings atm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCAkRkAHTk

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
First of all Patches
-You don't need to be consistent to get ranked
-You don't need to beat skilled players to get ranked
-All you need to do to get ranked is beat people that attend often, regardless of their skill

These are things that Googs said and/or implied. None of these are opinions.

Secondly, you've obviously never of the burden of proof.

Thirdly, yes, opinions need to be validated. I don't know about you, but I'm not ok with living in a world where anyone can say anything (no matter how stupid/offensive/ignorant it is) and then defend it by saying "hurr durr well it's my opinion so too bad".

Patches

Smash Master
But it's all in his opinion of Tinman. loolol

and a world where everything doesnt need a reason sounds pretty awesome to me. No reasons to drink, no reasons to smoke, no reasons to do drugs....
oh wait. :troll:

-Googs

Smash Lord
Thirdly, yes, opinions need to be validated. I don't know about you, but I'm not ok with living in a world where anyone can say anything (no matter how stupid/offensive/ignorant it is) and then defend it by saying "hurr durr well it's my opinion so too bad".
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

Taken straight from the charter of rights and freedoms made by my main man Trudeau.

This is canada, if you don't like the rules get the **** out.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Bad example, Patchy. People drink, smoke and do drugs for reasons; it makes them feel good, in multiple ways.
And that example also strays pretty far off from 'opinions don't need to be validated'

About i1337
At SiD2 he placed 5th, beating jMo, Sauc3 and Mr.L who (I believe) were ranked at the time
At SiD3 he again placed 5th, beating Cruxis

He placed well during this period--> he was good during this period--> he got ranked during this period

About Poke
At SiD3 he placed 4th, beating i1337 and Gi (I believe Gi was ranked at the time)
At SiD4 he got 13th, which is right in the middle
At No BS 2 he got 9th, which is somewhat good

So yeah, you can make a case for Poke. But come on, really?
1 person gets 10TH on PR when playing slightly inconsistently-->generalizing PR saying consistency doesn't matter?
You were right in the first sentence, then you started to be dumb again right after that.
Ad hominem.
Then i'd have to deal with annoying people like you
Ad hominem.

So you're too busy with the Whitby PR to bother to ask to join the panel but you have enough time to ***** out the PR and respond to what I'm saying? I don't know much about the panel but I imagine that being on it takes up about...1 hour a month?

I like how you ignored the parts about
-Placing all the blame solely on Tin
-The 3 other unfounded statements you made about the PR
-Making arguments in a civilized manner

Yeah ok, you have the right to your opinion. You still have to validate it if you want it to effect any sort of change, and if you refuse to do that..why bother to post your opinion?

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
I just really gotta ask, what's with all the hating on Tin? I'm actually legit curious what he did to all the people that hate on him. He's been great to Shard and I since we joined and his tournies are a blast. I'm pretty new on the scence so I'm willing to accept some things may have happened before I joined, but what did he do to all of you? Not trying to troll or be a **** I'm legit curious.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I really don't understand it either...he does so much for this community and then I remember at No BS1, at least twice I heard people saying "You know what the best thing about this tourney is? NO TIN MAAAAAN"

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The way I see it, people don't like the way he's steering the region. No hate Tin, just telling it like it is.

A large part of it is the whole "be in the venue or I'll DQ you" hardassery. Seriously, chill the **** out. Can't go out to get some air without risking DQ.

I'd elaborate a little more, but this keyboard ****ing sucks.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
ill write a blog about my thoughts when i get home tonight if im not too tired, been on lockdown cause of midterms and stuff, this is Joe this time btw haha me and gi are chillin together atm

also suza its sick to hear someone who wants to branch out and represent the region outside of local tourneys, good stuff dude :)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I've placed 9th more than once. Haha.
But I AM the best INCONSISTENT player in GTA.

I think V is still Salty about my Giant Eye Ball.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I just really gotta ask, what's with all the hating on Tin? I'm actually legit curious what he did to all the people that hate on him. He's been great to Shard and I since we joined and his tournies are a blast. I'm pretty new on the scence so I'm willing to accept some things may have happened before I joined, but what did he do to all of you? Not trying to troll or be a **** I'm legit curious.
I think it has more to do with history, not how he is now. But yeah, Tin is a gentleman and a scholar. Upstanding chap. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just drunk. 19 **** YEAH!

Top Bottom