• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic 'Self improvement' thread, plus your questions answered! FAQ

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
Good.

Play there more.

If you can play on Battlefield, you can play anywhere ;D
*sigh* fine i'll practice there its just that somehow i find myself cornered on the platforms and i dont think when i am cornered so all i can think is shielding and then i fall off.

and for some reason i did really good in luigi's mansion? :ohwell:

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* fine i'll practice there its just that somehow i find myself cornered on the platforms and i dont think when i am cornered so all i can think is shielding and then i fall off.

and for some reason i did really good in luigi's mansion? :ohwell:
really??

I hate playing there with sonic

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
actually yah it was weird i was doing well against r.o.b there the match was really close on that stage for some reason?
I suppose it depends, because if you can use the ceiling smackage to your advantage, then you could do extremely well.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
I suppose it depends, because if you can use the ceiling smackage to your advantage, then you could do extremely well.
yah its what i did i stayed on the bottom floor and stayed in his face the entire fight but he finally got the whole mansion to fall down and i went :urg: "darn!"

it was fun while it lasted though.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
yah its what i did i stayed on the bottom floor and stayed in his face the entire fight but he finally got the whole mansion to fall down and i went :urg: "darn!"

it was fun while it lasted though.
well the good thing about luigi's mansion is that the mansion rebuilds really quickly if you want it there.

sucks if you don't though, lol

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
well the good thing about luigi's mansion is that the mansion rebuilds really quickly if you want it there.

sucks if you don't though, lol
the downside of it was it didnt do it quick enough

haha

"you're too slow!" Says the ko'ed sonic

infomon

Smash Scientist
IMO, change your control scheme.

But do you really need to DAC? Sonic'c hyphen-smash travels a long distance, but our jump-cancelled hyphen-smash goes even further. How much further does the DACUS go? or is there another reason to use it instead?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I usually DACUS once or twice per match. It's great when you play an aggressive person, and they're caught in an upsmash before "GO" gets off of the screen.

Too good.

@Infzy: DACUS goes about half the distance of Final D from an initial standing point on the edge. Further or shorter depending on how well you time it.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Using my own thread here :O

I just got ***** by a Zelda. Her B (forgot the name...), Dtilt and Uptilt being the main ones. Plus approaching her was a pain :/

Does anyone have any advice?

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Using my own thread here :O

I just got ***** by a Zelda. Her B (forgot the name...), Dtilt and Uptilt being the main ones. Plus approaching her was a pain :/

Does anyone one have any advice?
delayed dash attack?

maybe homing attack might catch them off guard as well since you can play with it's timing.

sorry I can't be more help, I don't play many Zeldas.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
HA is a good idea if you wanna get ***** by a Utilt or Usmash.

Speaking of Usmash, does anyone remember what the specific SDI is to get out of that move?

:093:

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
The best answer for Zelda is walking. Ftilt, thanks to it's amazing range and disjointedness, is a good answer.

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
I used to play as Zelda and one of my main tactics was to stand still and wait for the opponent to come. The best tactic against her is to bait. Pretend like your going to attack and stop a few feet and wait for her to react, then use the lag to punish. If you happen to get caught in Fsmash, try to smash DI before the final hit. Stay grounded if the Usmash and tilts are getting to you and don't roll behind her(beware the dsmash-that was my favorite move). Her Din's Fire should be no problem to Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You know, that reminds me, how do you DI/SDI out of Zelda's Smashes?

That would really help me, because even though I always see this stupid @#$% coming when a Sheik transforms into a Zelda, I always walk RIGHT into the USmash, and I'm all like "ayuagyuhGbwhvfv GET OUT OF THERE SONIC!!!" but it's no good! D:

I know that the above information should go into the other character specific thread, but the post above me was askign for a response, and I should at least be nice to another Sonic player... right?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i need to know that too, that junk is annoying as hell, cus the move lasts forever and its like ha you just got hit by this, now you have to sit there for two seconds and watch your character get eaten

Tenki

Smash Hero
F-smash I think you can SDI up/away from it. I think there's a point that if you get hit by a certain part you can't escape it, because when I tested this over the summer, I got hit by it, SDI'd behind her and got launched backwards lol.

U-smash, you try to DI away from her hand while it's moving. I think you can SDI back/down if you're caught near the edge, otherwise it's almost impossible to get out.

you can dash attack/spindash/tilt and hit under her U-smash though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it sucks because up smash hit for soooo long, and it pushes you like a half a character length for each part, and it gives you that horrible sence of possibility that you can escape, only to steal it away from you

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
:mad:

I just can't fix my misteaks! D:

Any advise on how to cope with lag? The messes up my timing a lot (harder to punish, pivot, aim, etc)

Any tips on Sonic dittos?

Also could somebody do me a favour and up loads some matches? I just want to be evaluated.

Advise on practicing spacing? (I've been trying Tenki's ways)

Receive my gratiude in advance. :)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Play a lot of Wi-Fi, only way to get used to lag.

Learn the matchup and the mindgames of your character... dittos are still whack regardless, and I'll be d***ed if it censors wh.ack.

I don't have any way to, sorry.

Learn the exact distance/range of your attacks, then learn the attackboxes specific opponents have, as well as their hurtboxes, like how I doubt Sonic has anything in his arsenal to match the range on Bowser's attacks. Wi-Fi also ruins spacing, Offline is better for this, since it's more on reaction than prediction.

If I need to be more detailed, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Anybody that sees a flaw in my advice can correct me if they wish.

Tenki

Smash Hero
tapping shield to 'ping' your lag, or running, hitting shield, and taking note of how much distance you have to shield ahead of time might help.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think I've exhausted my offline tips.

Online, just lag gay it and spindash alot when he's off guard lmao. my tips for offline (punish immediately OoS) don't work too well online.

Yeah, i put this in another thread, but since i'm to cheap to read this ENTIRE thread, i'll ask it here

Does anyone else get grabbed, really easily out of an SDR, or dash attack?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're being too predictable.

:sonic: C'mon, switch it up!

Eh but no seriously, change your approaches, and they will be too worried about what you will do next to try and grab you out of anything.

Predictability isn't it, not exactly anyway... Its just the small amount of time that the attack hits the shield, if they shield it, a character with an abnormally fast grab can get me out of it. \

I guess thats why air SH > nair or fair approaches are better... but they don't work on small characters, not really anyway.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm... a fast grab... isn't that everybody without a Tether?

Anyway if you're so worried about getting shield-grabbed, just jump prior to hitting their shield, you should jump out of the grab-range assuming they have a big enough hurtbox where the SpinDash Jump should still hit.

Somebody else will have to help you with the small characters part, I'm sorry but I myself have no idea what to do there.

Yeah, that works. No advice about what to do with small characters? Shame.
Hmm... I'll have to try a new mindgame technique... dash from all the way across the stage (faking out something predictible, like dash attack) , super roll > grab? I am obsessed with up grab...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Like I've mentioned elsewhere:

Spindashes (ASC/SDR/Hop) are bad 'direct' approaches (actually hitting your opponent with them) when your opponent is in a neutral state (running, walking, standing, jumping [with double jump left]). Your opponent can grab you, use (retreating) aerials to hit you out of them, or shield it and punish with an aerial out of shield.

They're really best used for punishing lag (startup lag, ending lag, landing lag, online lag), because they're so vulnerable to counterattacks.

As for your 'small characters' problem, which character(s) specifically? They all play somewhat differently.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So I sort of have a problem with multi-jump characters.

Specifically, a strategy where they'll do a retreating air jump+aerial if you get close. It throws off my grab game alot, and the retreating aerials are usually spaced to outprioritize.

It makes fighting Pits, Kirby, campy MK's (aggro ones aren't so bad :3), and some D3 players kind of annoying. And it's specifically for multi jump characters because they're less predictable, and beyond that, their airjumps are only about a SH height, so they can counterattack with it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Doing a SDR -> SDJ -> whatever aerial doesn't work Tenki?

Can't you just use speed to mask-out your priority problem? Because with retreating aerials, Sonic ain't got junk.

Also I really don't tend to grab if they do that. :/

Either that, or wait for them to run out of space, they'll have to come back if they run out of room to run away.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Oh boy, Tenki has a question!

Yea, multiple jump characters really throw me off too, especially Kirby and DeDeDe with their B-air, jump, B-air, jump, B-air jump. I either run away or shield. Or I jump and have an aerial fight and then Spring away.

Top Bottom