• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm with dj, I use foxtrotted Fsmashes quite often.

Also, I don't know if you guys remember but a while ago someone posted about doing moves out of a dashes turnaround animation. When I remember to use, its a great mindgame and effective way to catch someone with an fsmash. Its the simplest of mindgames: you're running up to your opponent, they shield or doge as you approach. But then you start the turnaround animation, and they let go of they're shield, or the dodge frames have ended, and all of a sudden you catch them with a stutter stepped fsmash out of that turnaround animation. Its awesome if you don't use it more than once or twice in a match.

One thing im curious about is why the airdash has invincibility frames throughout its length, especially when it's out of a DownB. Like where dot hey come from, is it just totally random? Or does the DownB have invincibility frames at its start that we didn't know about, like SideB? Interesting.

Finally, I find it odd that shield cancelled SideB isn't used more. I've only seen a couple Sonics on vid use it, myself amking use of it often. It has mindgame potential because your opponent hears the spindash sound, yet suddenly you shield/grab. Its also a great shielding approach from both short and long distances. It's great for shielding/grabbing from short distances because oftentimes its hard to shield from a foxtrot distance because the foxtrot animation is quite alggy, and you can't shield during it. The SideB cancel eliminates that issue. It also gives you that bit of a boost, which is great for spacing as well because it is an instantaneous boost. That will also often yeild powershield+grab because it closes distances so quickly and effectively.

For long distances, it's effective again because of the sound and because it has more range than both the standard running grab and a shield-cancelled dashgrab(tested this myself alot).

I'll post a vid of myself sooner or later using the fsmash from a dash(both ways I mentioned) and shield cancelled SideBs so as to perhaps encourage the usage of these techniques.

smash inc

Smash Cadet
-_\\\
sonic is not my fav because his smash move is kinda gay

but i have to agree air dash owns.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm with dj, I use foxtrotted Fsmashes quite often.

Also, I don't know if you guys remember but a while ago someone posted about doing moves out of a dashes turnaround animation. When I remember to use, its a great mindgame and effective way to catch someone with an fsmash. Its the simplest of mindgames: you're running up to your opponent, they shield or doge as you approach. But then you start the turnaround animation, and they let go of they're shield, or the dodge frames have ended, and all of a sudden you catch them with a stutter stepped fsmash out of that turnaround animation. Its awesome if you don't use it more than once or twice in a match.

One thing im curious about is why the airdash has invincibility frames throughout its length, especially when it's out of a DownB. Like where dot hey come from, is it just totally random? Or does the DownB have invincibility frames at its start that we didn't know about, like SideB? Interesting.

Finally, I find it odd that shield cancelled SideB isn't used more. I've only seen a couple Sonics on vid use it, myself amking use of it often. It has mindgame potential because your opponent hears the spindash sound, yet suddenly you shield/grab. Its also a great shielding approach from both short and long distances. It's great for shielding/grabbing from short distances because oftentimes its hard to shield from a foxtrot distance because the foxtrot animation is quite alggy, and you can't shield during it. The SideB cancel eliminates that issue. It also gives you that bit of a boost, which is great for spacing as well because it is an instantaneous boost. That will also often yeild powershield+grab because it closes distances so quickly and effectively.

For long distances, it's effective again because of the sound and because it has more range than both the standard running grab and a shield-cancelled dashgrab(tested this myself alot).

I'll post a vid of myself sooner or later using the fsmash from a dash(both ways I mentioned) and shield cancelled SideBs so as to perhaps encourage the usage of these techniques.

I've recently started making more use of screech stop and turnaround feints. It's good stuff. And probably the only times I ever actually use 'forward' stutter step.
Also, an interesting thing to note/possible mechanics issue:

I had a suspicion that the airdash glitch was related to the phase-change/invincibility of the hop being instantly interrupted by ground.

While accidentally being sent into custom stage and playing with my brother, I ended up messing around and realized this:

You are invincible throughout the whole airdash state.

Doing a turnaround (like if you land on a platform or stay on the ground) will, as suspected, create a new, lower-charged spindash roll, taking away your invincibilty frames.

That is all.
^ on airdash. Which is side-B.
---
I use side-B shield cancels alot ;__;

I notice that I confuse even myself when I charge a side-B facing backwards and roll into my opponent lol.

I rarely foxtrot unless I'm doing a delayed dash attack, but that is a good point you raise about side-B allowing you to shield during a foxtrot. It annoys me when I try to shieldgrab from that distance cause I either roll or end up dash-grabbing. Thanks ;D

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hehe woops about the airdash thing, its just that Video 1 on the entry said that it should also be possible using DownB, so I was confused =P.

Yea, again, I love turnaround feints. Mucho fun.

Its like:

Sonic: You're too slow!

Snake: Come and get me then if your so macho!

*Sonic Runs towards Snake*

*Snake Shields*

*Sonic starts turning around, running back*

Snake: Haha! I knew you were too sca-

*SOONIICCCCCCC PAAWWWNNCHHHH*

Sonic: Still too slow.

Anyways, yea I had the same exact problem with trying to shield cancel dashes form short distances, dumb foxtrot. SideB cancelling helped me tons for my grab game.

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
Some may or not know this, but when you tap the control stick left or right, Sonic does a slide, if you tilt it lightly right when Sonic stops, his run animation wil come on for a second or two but he won't move, allowing you to run cancel (Or whatever you wanna call it.)

Tenki

Smash Hero
slow run.

look for it :l

edit:

Eh, TT said he'd add Slow run/infinite run/ whatever but never got to it, I guess.

oh well. Thanks for trying though.

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
Meh, I thought it would be completely differen't from slow run because you don't move at all when doing it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, you basically initiate it and stop right away, right?

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
Not really, you basically walk but the run animation still goes on, after the slide of course, but you don't move at all, I confused people with this a few times, you can also press A right before he put his feet down to stop, and you can still dash spin, though people should know that by now.

Tenki

Smash Hero
you're talking about the "screech stop", right?

basically what you're doing is starting the 'foxtrot slide' (initial dash's stop animation), starting a slow run or 2nd run, and stopping it right away.

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
Well, possibly, but I can't start up a run when I do it, he immediately stops after a few seconds.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'm still not getting it. Isn't that just what happens when you end a foxtrot? :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Good. Otherwise I'll assume you were lying to me and any trust we have is gone.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh you will trust... random side question worth not posting in new thread:

Do any of the smashboard mods main Sonic? I think that's our problem =)
I think I saw one, or maybe it was a TO/SBR person.

Why? Are you talking about the random spam that's been going around?

The burden's always been on us to report crap that we want locked or whatever- it's just that we were being lazy for the most part.

However, we can't report newbish posts unless they're new threads...
...can we?

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
darkNes that griding Sonic tech., is freaking sweet I'm so gonna try to use that for like a surprise like grind/surf past them to spin dash at them to shock them. Thats really kool I keep slo running too much D: But I can do it just gotta keep practiceing till I get more consitant with it.

Thanx for showin everyone its freakin kool.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
darkNes that griding Sonic tech., is freaking sweet I'm so gonna try to use that for like a surprise like grind/surf past them to spin dash at them to shock them. Thats really kool I keep slo running too much D: But I can do it just gotta keep practiceing till I get more consitant with it.

Thanx for showin everyone its freakin kool.
Try to think of it as just one more variation for approaching... it's not all that great against projectile users... but I"ll throw it in against a MK or Snake usually. Just remember that the more options/unique approaches you try... the better your chances will be of starting something.

gehaga

Smash Cadet
dash canceling does get more distance then hyphen smashing, but its not that noticable. but when sonic is standing still then does a hyphen smash out of dash animation he gets little distance, but if he dash cancels out of the dash animation, he gets full distance.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
dash canceling does get more distance then hyphen smashing, but its not that noticable. but when sonic is standing still then does a hyphen smash out of dash animation he gets little distance, but if he dash cancels out of the dash animation, he gets full distance.
Sonic can move just as far with a hyphen smash from a dead standstill as he can with running... the timing is just very difficult.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure, puffball64 was showing me last week. Basically it's executed like Snake's mortar slide only with slightly faster timing. You don't see Sonic do a dash attack (which makes it different from Snakes). The effect is that from standing still Sonic moves just as far as if he was at a full sprint.

If I can't find a video online... I'll throw up like a 20 second clip of it with no editing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure, puffball64 was showing me last week. Basically it's executed like Snake's mortar slide only with slightly faster timing. You don't see Sonic do a dash attack (which makes it different from Snakes). The effect is that from standing still Sonic moves just as far as if he was at a full sprint.

If I can't find a video online... I'll throw up like a 20 second clip of it with no editing.
hum...

I don't use usmash as much as I should be, cause it 'slips' alot further and its startup time throws me off.

Are you talking about DAC or run+u-smash? I know DAC can be done from standing or running and it'll be the same regardless, but as for hyphen smashing, you have to run for like .5-1 second before you can get a 'full speed' hyphen smash. Basically, the shortest distance that you can run and still do a screech stop.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
that sonic grind tech is way too much fun...

as for the dash attack cancel and hyphen smash, i thought just from a standing position, DAC goes farther than hyphen smash (albeit slightly).

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
That's what I thought dnes... how dare you mislead me. Our trust has been shattered.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, dnes I gave you credit for the grind thing, but I don't know if that's right.

So, er, did you post it first or was it someone else? Come clean you little liar -.-

Top Bottom