• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sticky Business

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Antonblast

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Valley Peaks

• Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Helder Pinto

• TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

• Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I really need to get back to reading Chainsaw Man. Last place I left off was roughly around where the anime ended so I'm interested to see where things go, although there are a couple of things I've been spoiled on unfortunately.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Alright so last night I had an idea for a new regional form for Sneasel for my Italy region.

Taking advantage of the "sneeze" in its name, poor Sneasel is now a perpetually sickly poison-ice type. It's friendlier than its Johtonian counterpart, but is clogged up with so many contagious illnesses that most Pokemon give the poor things a wide berth anyway.

When you level it up while it's holding a Toxic Orb, it evolves into...Sneeverl! Now with a high fever melting its ice-typing, it's poison-fire type instead. Its illnesses have become terminal, and if you look closely part of its FLESH is beginning to ROT from all its illnesses. (Wouldn't be a Pokemon region without some messed-up stuff.) They are constantly miserable and are dangerous to approach without the proper equipment due to all their contagions. Hell, it's even considered UNETHICAL TO TRAIN A SNEEVERL by many battling organizations due to how much they are perpetually suffering (of course the villain team ignores this and trains a bunch of the poor things). They have the ability Contagious, which works as a variant of Corrosion. It lets you poison Steel and Poison types, while also giving a chance to poison an opposing Pokemon, BOTH when it uses a contact move against you or you use a contact move against it. HOWEVER, it's so contagious that it will occasionally poison its partner Pokemon in double battles by accident.

If you wanna cure your Sneasel, seek out the incense shop and give it an incense to hold. If you level it up five times with an incense as its held item, it is cured and evolves into...Freezel! With the purifying incense steaming away its illnesses, it is now full of life again. It has become so grateful towards its loving trainer that it is now Love-Ice type. Freezel is a speedster who can discover those lost in snowstorms and bring them to cozier areas to rest. It is compassionate and when a friend of theirs is sick, they will do anything they can to cure them. As a result, it is the Pokemon that Nurse Joy works alongside in this region. It has an ability that protects both it and its Double Battle teammates from getting poisoned. Idk what it'd be called though. Purifying Mist?

Either way I really like these ideas, just wish I could draw them lol

Jondolio

Smash Hero
20 chapters into Naruto and I'm enjoying it more than I expected

When I watched the anime I got to the Chunin exams and dropped it after the bit that everyone hypes up because the anime's pacing was unbearable, and this is coming from someone who watched the One Piece anime up until the timeskip. Let's hope my experience will be better this time

StormC

Smash Hero
20 chapters into Naruto and I'm enjoying it more than I expected

When I watched the anime I got to the Chunin exams and dropped it after the bit that everyone hypes up because the anime's pacing was unbearable, and this is coming from someone who watched the One Piece anime up until the timeskip. Let's hope my experience will be better this time
I thought Naruto Part 1 anime pacing was better than say, the post-Alabasta section of the OP anime, but the manga is a pretty fun read. Like most of these long running series it peters off towards the end but even the final arc has some really cool and iconic moments. I held off reading Naruto for years but I’m glad I did even though it certainly has its flaws. There is something charming about how scrappy and rough around the edges it is, kind of like the main character.

No real interest in reading Boruto though.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Naruto was HUGE back in my youth. I saw the visage of those headbands everywhere.

I swear Sakura might be THE most divisive character I've seen in a work of fiction ever. And I'm a Total Drama fan for goodness sake!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we're a quarter of this year through. May as well rate my favorite films of this year so far.

1. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
2. The Beekeeper
3. Space Man
4. Dune: Part II
5. Orion and the Dark
6. Lisa Frankenstein
7. Kung Fu Panda 4
8. Damsel
9. I.S.S.
10. Lift
11. No Way Up

List is bound to chance eventually.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I made it my New Year's resolution to read at least one comic (manga being included in that definition) a day in 2024, and so far, I've managed to keep that going for three months. Today, I re-read the first sixteen chapters of Naruto (I haven't gone back to the manga in-depth since it ended, which was almost ten years ago).

I'm trying to go back to it with an open mind, though even this early on, it seems clear that Kishimoto has trouble with writing women. (Sakura... isn't the most effective or developed character, to put it mildly) Sasuke's annoyingly arrogant, though from what I recall, he gets a bit better around the time of the Haku fight, and improves greatly in the Chunin Exams, though my problems with him start to crop up around the Tsunade arc, if I recall correctly. Still, Naruto, Kakashi, and Zabuza are great.

Also, I finished reading Secret Wars (the 80's one - I'm working my way up to Hickman's version) recently - it was all right, though the early issues definitely felt like an elaborate toy commercial. (I'm pretty sure that the creators admitted at some point that the intention with making it was to sell toys and beat DC to the punch with a franchise-wide crossover - telling a story was secondary) It improves at the end, though I'm not a fan of Colossus's storyline in it. (he's in a relationship with Kitty Pryde at this point, I believe, and yet he randomly falls in love with an alien healer so quickly that it seemed editorially mandated)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I thought Naruto Part 1 anime pacing was better than say, the post-Alabasta section of the OP anime, but the manga is a pretty fun read. Like most of these long running series it peters off towards the end but even the final arc has some really cool and iconic moments. I held off reading Naruto for years but I’m glad I did even though it certainly has its flaws. There is something charming about how scrappy and rough around the edges it is, kind of like the main character.

No real interest in reading Boruto though.
Toriyama's passing convinced me to give some of the most iconic jump series that I haven't really touched a second look. I was in the middle of reading Dragon Ball and had a ton of fun, but I'll only continue when they fix the issue with the double page spreads on the app I'm using.

I went back and forth on giving Naruto another shot because I really disliked it last time I tried it. In hindsight it seems like the anime was probably just not hitting the right notes for me, I disliked the voice acting for the MC, the pacing was awful, and the animation quality was unimpressive to me. I don't know if I'm gonna read the whole thing but I hope I'll at least make it to part 2. I also plan on reading Bleach once I'm done with those two series.

I highly doubt any of these will surpass Hunter x Hunter and especially One Piece for me but hopefully I'll still have fun

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we're on the topic of Shonen Jump.

YuYu Hakusho and HunterxHunter are probably my favorites. I've only seen half of the show of the former, and seen the 2011 series of the latter.

I gotta get back to watching the former to watch it all. Yusuke is the best Shonen protagonist.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not big on manga. Haven't watched much anime in a while.

I am planning on watching Spy X Family and giving the Chainsaw Man anime a shot soon, though.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Tag anywhere got me so close and yet so far to 100% of DK64. Those last three minigame bonus barrels in Creepy Castles (Two Beaver Bothers and a Flyswatter) were just too much for me. So... I just went and deactivated the Blast-O-Matic and now I am just gonna fight K. Rool and be done with it.

I found another mod that let's you tag anywhere AND auto-completes the Bonus Barrels (thanks DK64 Randomizer website) so that will be the version I'll play next time I get the urge to play DK64, in like... IDK... two years? Three? That will be the version I 100%. Maybe you call that cheating, but I call that valuing my time.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
How much do you think the next Nintendo console will cost?

I'd estimate somewhere between $300-500.

Unreasonable price, I know, but hey, games have gotten more and more expensive.

StormC

Smash Hero
Toriyama's passing convinced me to give some of the most iconic jump series that I haven't really touched a second look. I was in the middle of reading Dragon Ball and had a ton of fun, but I'll only continue when they fix the issue with the double page spreads on the app I'm using.

I went back and forth on giving Naruto another shot because I really disliked it last time I tried it. In hindsight it seems like the anime was probably just not hitting the right notes for me, I disliked the voice acting for the MC, the pacing was awful, and the animation quality was unimpressive to me. I don't know if I'm gonna read the whole thing but I hope I'll at least make it to part 2. I also plan on reading Bleach once I'm done with those two series.

I highly doubt any of these will surpass Hunter x Hunter and especially One Piece for me but hopefully I'll still have fun
OP and HXH are definitely in a tier of their own, but I enjoyed both Naruto and Bleach. Like for me if OP is a 10, Naruto is like a 7.5 and Bleach is a 7. Some people really hate the later portions of those manga but I found enough to enjoy about them.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Imagine an alternate timeline where nothing was live action and everything was animation.

That would be so cool.
As the local animation guy, there’s a good number of stories that I don’t think would be fitting or successful in animated form

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I guess the reason I don't watch anime as much as I used to is because the storylines are super convoluted and the episodes almost always end in cliffhangers. And they run for SO LONG. But I should probably watch Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z in honor of Toriyama.

Last edited:
Top Bottom