• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
For me personally its not even about the game anymore, its people acting like its going to somehow destroy "bigbadmegacorportionNintendo" even though its not even in the same genre and the pokemon mechanics feel slapped on top of a cheap Ark clone. I've seen so many people on so many discord servers I'm in go like "damn Pokemon got owned hahahah".

Its literally Temtem all over again, I guarantee the moment the game starts plateauing in player count people will act like the game wasn't this big thing and ohhhh the devs are totally fine nothing suspicious in their past catalogue of games at alllll. :ultrob:

Like, for all the **** Nintendo does on the corporate end that I actually do dislike, I've never had to question if their games are stealing assets, or mostly stock assets shoved togheter on top of some ui work, or if Nintendo is releasing a game in early access with the plan to never actually "finish" it, etc.

For what its worth. I never felt like the accusations of the game using AI or the developers supporting crypto had any merit(since all the "evidence" I saw was screenshots taken out of context and in Japanese translated to English using google translate which isn't compelling enough to me)and given how fast Nintendo was to respond to the actual "lets put Ash Ketchum and Charizard into the game!" mod, but not the game itself, I think they don't think they have a direct problem with the game(or if they did, they don't think they can win the legal battle), but, at the same time, I also think the game is cheapily and lazily marketed & made, and I'd rather my money go to games I know I'll enjoy and from companies I trust.
This is a fair assessment. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel like if my laptop wasn't from 2016, I'd probably enjoy the game myself, I know my boyfriend sure does after watching him stream it, as do a plethora of other YTers I follow, but yeah, people are def being annoying over what just seems like a fun game and nothing more really.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've been on the sidelines for more or less this whole thing, and while I've tried to keep a neutral stance on it.

Yeah, game seems like it's just fun. I legit don't get why soo many people are upset over this game.
I think part of it is just toxic people dunking on GameFreak over it. I mean, I get that competition is good and healthy, and I’m not denying there’s issues GameFreak needs to work on, but people don’t gotta be obnoxious about it, it’s like the main point I’ve seen some people bring up about the game on Twitter and some YouTube comments: “lol GameFreak needs to step it up” and not really saying any good points for Palworld itself. Not to mention the game doesn’t even play the same besides “catch animal/monster buddies.” Of course, looking at the discourse on Twitter especially is probably a big mistake xD

It’s also just some people taking the Pokémon lookalikes too seriously. I may also be a bit guilty of this myself tbh, but really just in that I’m probably caring about the arguments too much, since it’s not like I bother people over it. I just don’t see how some like Direhowl are “just inspiration” like people seem to say. Not that I’m mad about it or it’s making me defensive of Pokémon though, it’s unoriginal but funny and still cool. Guess I’m just confused on how it’s anything like the meme comparing Pokémon designs to Dragon Quest designs.

In fairness, most of Palworld’s designs do seem to be original or actually are just inspiration.

All in all though, it seems pretty fun. My only concern is the company behind it may support AI art, but not gonna lie, my urge to get the game is kinda growing anyway, especially after seeing CaptainSparklez and Gawr Gura play it. I guess I’m also concerned over the other stuff Alphine Agnitio said, too, like them not finishing a past early-access project (Craftopia). I’ve thought about that before, but I’d probably still get the game despite that tbh.

(also, to be fair about the AI thing, it really is just a translation of what the CEO said about not needing to deal with copyright + their “AI: Art Imposter” game, so maybe the evidence for my concern is flimsy but idk. I don’t think Palworld uses AI)

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
This is a fair assessment. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel like if my laptop wasn't from 2016, I'd probably enjoy the game myself, I know my boyfriend sure does after watching him stream it, as do a plethora of other YTers I follow, but yeah, people are def being annoying over what just seems like a fun game and nothing more really.
a person I no longer associate with gifted me a $1k gaming laptop awhile back and its been a godsend since I've been able to play all the games in my steam library without worrying about fps drops + generally play games I would have worried about framerate issues before

Minecraft with even a couple mods still lags like crazy somehow though :ultrob:

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking about devs and their prior works, and Banban(Sadly)

I'm reminded that the Euphoric Brothers made a game about a goddamn school shooting, with 'humor' in it.

Yeah, no amount of memes that come out of Banban will ever make me forget that of all things.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
With all the trailer drops this week…

Let’s get some votes…

Is switch 2 reveal before or after Pokemon day?

I kinda think it’s before right now.

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I know for sure

Is that Paper Mario TTYD Remake is gonna be one of the last titles to launch for Switch 1

Switch 2 hype is gonna be in full force

Sales will suffer due to it

And Nintendo will point and say, "See? Paper Mario doesn't sell well!"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm trying to figure out if Nickelodeon bought the entire Big Nate ip when they bought the rights to make the show or just licensed the rights. Like, for their shows based on Transformers or DreamWorks Movies, both Viacom/Paramount and the original holder are listed at the end of the show as copyright holders. But with Big Nate, the show just lists Paramount/Viacom. However, the original books (which still get reprinted with up to date copyrights), list ownership to "United Features Syndicate". And the Big Nate website credits both United Features Syndicate and just "Big Nate". Like... I guess the character owns his own copyright? Not Big Nate LLC or Big Nate Holdings or anything like that. Just "Big Nate". WHO OWNS THIS IP!?!?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've been on the sidelines for more or less this whole thing, and while I've tried to keep a neutral stance on it.

Yeah, game seems like it's just fun. I legit don't get why soo many people are upset over this game.
I guess PETA finally brought it up, wanting a vegan guide or some ****, which is possible.

I caught what is basically a Shiny in this game, which is like an Alpha but with better stats. So now I have a giant Lamball who can blow up an entire field.

And the whole thing about them laboring? It's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. You still feed them, pet them, build them things like beds and hot springs, and when they complete a task they're all happy and stuff. It's like the garden on Legends Arceus but with a lot more added to it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
One of my favorite games is getting a new version this year! Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds (a Beat em Up game) will receive a updated version with new visuals, characters and improved online (with Cross Play).

However the original versions (and DLC) will be delisted in March* so for anyone who wants to try the game out might want to pick it up sooner rather than latter.

*The Xbox 360 version which is playable on newer consoles was part of a 360 delisting wave last February alongside other titles including Peggle 2, Jet Set Radio, and Valve titles (the Portal games were spared but not Orange Box).

Reactions: ---

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah uh that study seems to be based on how much a country searches for a pokemon compared to others. Hence why the chart says disproportionally popular.

And even then I bet there's a lot of other variables effecting how much certain pokemon are searched. Like how many searches for Chi-yu do you think were just people looking for help trying to find one last stake?

Top Bottom