• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
T-Rex
Triceratops
Pterodactyl
Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus
Velociraptor

These are generally considered the quintessential dinosaurs, yes?

Asking for sinister purposes :4wario2:
Yeah that's a pretty good list, though I'd add some kind of hadrosaur (blame The Land Before Time) and probably Anklyosaurus too

Although when I saw this my mind immediately went:
STEGOSAURUS
PTERODACTYL
TYRRANOSAURUS REX
SCELIDOSAURUS
APATOSAURUS
TRICERATOPS IS NEXT

god I loved Harry and his Bucketful so much as a kid

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
T-Rex
Triceratops
Pterodactyl
Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus
Velociraptor

These are generally considered the quintessential dinosaurs, yes?

Asking for sinister purposes :4wario2:
You fool. You nincompoop. You utter buffoon. Pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs. They were a separate clade of reptiles entirety. Say goodbye to your credibility.

Other than that it's pretty good. I think archaeopteryx or iguanadon might warrant a mention (and if we're talking about non-dinosaur extinct reptiles than the dimitridon and plesiosaur are also pretty big) but these are probably the biggest dinos.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You fool. You nincompoop. You utter buffoon. Pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs. They were a separate clade of reptiles entirety. Say goodbye to your credibility.

Other than that it's pretty good. I think archaeopteryx or iguanadon might warrant a mention (and if we're talking about non-dinosaur extinct reptiles than the dimitridon and plesiosaur are also pretty big) but these are probably the biggest dinos.
If we're talking about honorary dinosaurs, you gotta have ichthyosaurus in there.

osby

Smash Obsessed
There should be a Pokemon game where instead of trying to beat 7 gym leaders, you need to beat 7 Heroic Spirits in order to win the Holy Grail War.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Chien-Pao and Espathra just got banned from OU to Ubers. Make of it what you will, but I'm fine with it because it means my playthrough team is far more busted than it should be
View attachment 367991
Gen 9 powercreep is crazy because my entire team is OU or Uber level (except Scovillian) and I never intended it.
Quaquaval, Garganacl, Clodsire, and Gimmieghoul (which will probably be banned to Ubers being honest) all OU and Espathra just got banned to Uber. And Scovillian is the odd one out.

And the weird thing? These are all mons you can catch early in the game

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Chien-Pao and Espathra just got banned from OU to Ubers. Make of it what you will, but I'm fine with it because it means my playthrough team is far more busted than it should be
View attachment 367991
Unrelated but I was browsing r/stunfisk earlier and saw your post, which scared the living daylights out of me.

I got Smashboards Jumpscared.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unrelated but I was browsing r/stunfisk earlier and saw your post, which scared the living daylights out of me.

I got Smashboards Jumpscared.
breaks down the door

There is a Stunfisk reddit??? Maybe that hellsite is good for something.

It's Super Bowl Sunday

But the only thing I care to see from it is the Mario movie trailer.
In terms that Europeans can understand, is Super Bowl like a derby?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In terms that Europeans can understand, is Super Bowl like a derby?
The Super Bowl is the championship game of the NFL (National Football League)

It's also used to air funny commercials and premieres like movies (some people watch this game exclusively for the commercials)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My Violet in-game team consisted of two OU mons (Skeledirge and Kingambit), two UU (Kilowattrel and Toedscruel), one borderline UU (Baxcalibur), and one Uber (Annihilape).

Never intended this but it's pretty crazy

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I actually did play American Football myself. I wasn't good, but it was my primary sport of childhood.

Now I just think watching is more fun than playong, but my favorite team sucks donkey **** (and has been for the last decade) so it really isn't fun watching at all.

Go Eagles.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually did play American Football myself. I wasn't good, but it was my primary sport of childhood.

Now I just think watching is more fun than playong, but my favorite team sucks donkey **** (and has been for the last decade) so it really isn't fun watching at all.

Go Eagles.
I don't know anything about American football but I appreciate that beating the **** out of each other is something players do on the field rather than something fans do after the match ala regular football.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh boy time to do Sigurd's paralogue in Engage, a taste for what's to come for the FE4 remake! Heh, map is quite big so I guess the memes were true!

Oh.. The guy at the fortress has Meteor...

Oh... Those mages have ridiculous defences...

Well that took a while but now that I seized the fortress the rest should be smooth sai-

OH MY GOD
5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwNOQXMFBsLXzJyiRKch6b7c.gif

I'M SCARED FOR THE FE4 REMAKE NOW

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
my bias always tells me to remember that WrestleMania is better than the Super Bowl

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I don't know anything about American football but I appreciate that beating the **** out of each other is something players do on the field rather than something fans do after the match ala regular football.
I don't watch American Football games since my country does Rugby more often (in which I'm not sure if there are similarities between the two sports.)

But I did watch an anime series based on American Football a long time ago called "Eyeshield 21" if anyone had heard of it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't watch American Football games since my country does Rugby more often (in which I'm not sure if there are similarities between the two sports.)

But I did watch an anime series based on American Football a long time ago called "Eyeshield 21" if anyone had heard of it.
I never have but the fact that there's a Handegg anime gives me so much joy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
New 65 trailer should be out today due to the Super Bowl.

Hoping to see some herbivores. Notably an encounter with a ceratopsian (Triceratops?) that behaves like a wild boar for the two survivors.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Question. How does one go about incorporating themes into a Pokémon region?

I haven't analyzed most gens thoroughly, but I know each region has a distinct central theme that ties it together. I know it's usually incorporated through characters (N being a prime example, representing truths and ideals) and legendaries (a prominent example would be Dialga and Palkia who represent the creation of the universe). But apparently it's represented by regular Pokémon as well, which makes me wonder - does every Pokémon have to represent that theme in some way?

The theme I'm leaning towards with this region is expectations vs reality. I have some Pokémon that vaguely fit into it but I don't know if I should tweak their concepts to represent it better (which would be difficult) or even scrap some Pokémon that don't really fit it in a specific way.

I'm probably overthinking this but I'd like to hear some thoughts about this

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Kinda bored, so I'm just gonna list some music/artists I've been listening to lately. You can judge me if you want, idc.

Regular Artists:
Tyler the Creator
Ice Cube
REDACTED artist
Childish Gambino
Lil Durk
Kendrick Lamar
Drake

OSTs:
Like the entire KH series (1-DDD)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Heroes
Pokemon Gen 5

Y'all been listening to anything lately?

osby

Smash Obsessed

I haven't analyzed most gens thoroughly, but I know each region has a distinct central theme that ties it together. I know it's usually incorporated through characters (N being a prime example, representing truths and ideals) and legendaries (a prominent example would be Dialga and Palkia who represent the creation of the universe). But apparently it's represented by regular Pokémon as well, which makes me wonder - does every Pokémon have to represent that theme in some way?

The theme I'm leaning towards with this region is expectations vs reality. I have some Pokémon that vaguely fit into it but I don't know if I should tweak their concepts to represent it better (which would be difficult) or even scrap some Pokémon that don't really fit it in a specific way.

You probably shouldn't try and tie every Pokemon into a single theme.

All regions have Pokemon that are closely linked to their identity but also others that could fit into any other game. It'd be more liberating to try and design some prominent Pokemon with central themes in mind and give yourself more freedom with the others.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

On top of not all pokemon always matching the themes, a lot of games have very loose themes that only a handful of pokemon follow.

Look at Sun and Moon. You have the Lycanrocs, as well as Gumshoos/Raticate and Lurantis/Shiinotic representing cycles of day and night. Then you have the ultrabeast and Minior for a broad theme of space and the cosmos. Then tons of pokemon representing wild fauna of Hawaii as well.

But then you have a pokemon that is just a literal freaking horse there for no discernable reason.

It's just a big horse that does big horse things.

And it's awesome.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Kinda bored, so I'm just gonna list some music/artists I've been listening to lately. You can judge me if you want, idc.

Regular Artists:
Tyler the Creator
Ice Cube
REDACTED artist
Childish Gambino
Lil Durk
Kendrick Lamar
Drake

OSTs:
Like the entire KH series (1-DDD)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Heroes
Pokemon Gen 5

Y'all been listening to anything lately?
combing through my spotify and youtube histories, here's some **** I've been listening to lately

Dinosaur Jr.
Joy Division/New Order
The Fall
Yellow Magic Orchestra
A Portuguese alternative rock band named Ornatos Violeta

As for video game OSTs, specific soundtracks I've been getting into as of late include Snatcher and Ridge Racer Type-4, I've been listening to some old SEGA music but that's nothing new, I've also gotten more into ZUNTATA's work as of late, plus some Twinbee music

Top Bottom