• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
tbf, Bulma probably should’ve either checked what she had on before leaving…or learn to always wear undergarments…or she could’ve just attempted to rob him. She unintentionally became at fault for him hunting after her constantly
Goku had taken Bulma's underwear off while she was asleep so Bulma wasn't aware what she was flashing the first time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
first things first sorry for the Billiam rant

-If you still want a rep from the fourth PS game, then Rika's an easy pick. Very distinct from Alis, represents an important race in the PS lore and is kind of the successor to Nei who's super popular

-I think the Ristar/Vectorman/etc deal kinda just comes down to a difference in perspective. IMO they're kinda small potatoes compared to other Mega Drive games I'd consider to be much more classic (Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, the Treasure games, et al), much less the whole of SEGA's library, but I get it. For the record I'd probably put at least some Ristar content in if I did my own take, just maybe not a playable spot. By the way, I think Ecco can work, he has a lot of powers in his games that could make him an interesting fighter and you can just make him, like, float

-I think if you're gonna keep the amount of guests, definitely spread the love a bit more across consoles and try to look into franchises that SEGA have affiliated with before or made games for. Miku's a great pick, definitely the one I'd keep if I added just one guest.

-Shining has some pretty interesting characters beyond just the swordsmen. The classic games have centaurs, a robot, a rat person, a dark sorcerer lady, etc. The modern games have a thief catgirl, an elf magician, a literal guitar wizard, etc

-I think 1 for Shining is fine. By the way, if you happen to want more unrepresented series in your roster, three characters I think would be great to have are Bruno Delinger from Dynamite Deka, Cenes Crawford from Thunder Force V and a class from the 7th Dragon games
I'll ditch Sub-Zero, Aladdin, Big the Cat, and the Avatar. I'll condense Toejam & Earl into one character. Swap in Rika for Chaz, swap Welkin for Alicia, and swap the P3 protag for AIGIS.

I also have a tendency, with games I'm not familiar with, to look for the most popular games in the series and just add the protagonist so I would be interested in hearing your opinion on what Shining Force character(s) to add specifically. I'll look into those games you mentioned.

And then as for third party games past the genesis... my problem is that they start to stop feeling specifically identifiable with SEGA, you know. Like some of the most popular ones from those eras include Saturn Bomberman, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Marvel vs. Capcom, Dead or Alive... nothing that I don't also associate equally or more with another system or company. Which is frustrating.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Shiny Hawlucha now as well. Getting close to a box full of shinies.
EDIT: Just got another shiny Hawlucha.
Survey, gang: Who wore it better? :248:

MT from Black 2 & White 2

or Iron Thorns from Scarlet & Violet?
Well, you can actually catch Iron Thorns.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I finished watching part 6 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure today. Some of the Stand abilities were bizarre even by the standards of this series (such as rainbows that can make people le think that they've become snails through the power of subliminal messaging - even when they explained that one, it was absolute nonsense), and I wasn't a fan of the final battle. Jolyne, the main character, had next to no role in defeating the main villain, and instead, that duty fell to Emporio, an eight-year-old kid with no combat ability. It felt really weird, especially since Emporio had barely interacted with Pucchi, and they randomly had Pucchi say something like "by the way, I killed your mother" to Emporio in a last-second attempt to try and make it personal.

It felt especially strange considering that Jolyne is the only female JoJo, and the only one to not defeat the main villain of her arc - even the power-up that Emporio got to defeat Pucchi came from someone other than Jolyne. I get that it's meant to be a plot twist or to keep the audience in suspense - "how could a powerless kid beat Pucchi?" - but it sucks that all of the main cast had to be killed off for it to happen.

Also, I don't like Anastasia, so it bugged me that after the universe reset, he got everything that he wanted after creeping on Jolyne throughout the part (putting a wedding ring on her while she's unconscious, trying to kiss her against her will, etc.)

Great ending credits, though.

Shroob

Sup?
Sandwich making is weird in Pokemon.

Sometimes, half of everything drops off and nothing happens. Then other times a single cherry tomato rolls off and ****s up your recipe.

EDIT: This time, the ingredients stayed on but the top bun fell off and it worked fine.
Top bun doesn't actually matter. You can toss it aside if you're afraid your ingredients will collapse and it still works.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So decided to give Fatman (2020). Was rather cheap on cineplex store just for 2 dollars counting tax. Saw it in response to Violent Night which I wanted to see how the film compared.

It was ok at best, but it didn't fully go out with its premise. I found unique with the whole more "grounded" approach and take on the tale of Santa Claus.

That said, Violent Night is definitely a much more funner movie in terms of R-rated Santa films.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Goku had taken Bulma's underwear off while she was asleep so Bulma wasn't aware what she was flashing the first time.
that’s why she should’ve at least changed up a bit before heading out (or check if she was wearing underwear)…that and now I gotta wonder how she didn’t feel a difference

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Shiny Luxray now as well.
Top bun doesn't actually matter. You can toss it aside if you're afraid your ingredients will collapse and it still works.
So I guess Paldeans don't mind an open sandwich.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
PeridotGX PeridotGX 's AMA is now up! I'd like to apologize for being latish on this one.

If you'd like to be added to the list of future AMA subjects, lemme know via reply or PM

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
EShop had Melody of Memories on a discount, so I bought it

edit: …I have been on the title screen for over 20 minutes dancing around

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I really gotta finish Persona 5 Royal so i can actually start the other half of my christmas gifts.

Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga on my PS4 and Monster Rancher on my Switch.

Ive also decided to get into the Sherlock Holmes videogames, since they've been perpetually on sale on the Eshop for the past year or so.

edit: …I have been on the title screen for over 20 minutes dancing around
You can also do this in Smash brothers's music menu.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You can also do this in Smash brothers's music menu.
That’s the only reason I planned on getting it for the Switch (and after I played some of the KH games instead of watching it all on YouTube with full interest), now that I got the game I will use it in Smash…and will most likely not play any games, as I would end up pausing it in favor of the song

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Got the Ghost Rider PS2 game, Mario 3D World, my own copy of Tekken 5 and I-Ninja. So my PS2 Collection is coming together.

Starting off with Ghost Rider, it's a pretty short game, but it's pretty fun. Like the middle Ground between DMC1/DMC3 and GOW1/2. Not AS deep, but the fighting feels like a mix with the wide swings of the chains being Kratos-ish and Melee hits being a little bit like Beowulf. The grab finishers are GOW as hell, and the Shot Gun feels kind of DMC-ish. The combo ranking system is fun, and you can taunt to extend. But I feel like it has only one major flaw, in that you can lose your whole combo rank getting hit even once. In DMC, you lose a certain amount of your rank, but not the whole thing. So it's a little annoying in that regard. Cause getting high A or S rank, almost getting to V(engance) only to get hit from one of the fireball jobbers sucks hard. You also get a Giga Crush from Mega Man X2. So thats sick, adds a TON of combo rank as well. You can block though, but like the GOW dodge with the right stick more, you can block to get EXP and Meter easier like Onimusha. I haven't unlocked Blade yet, he's a New Game Plus deal.

The bike levels are kind of fun too, but mostly jank. They seem to be placed in-bewteen each action stage. Reminds me a little of Road Rash. I know I heard one of the devs say they wanted the bike in combat, even mentioning that DMC5 got to do it eventually. Which makes me just want a NEW Ghost Rider game in vein to this one. Or a 2D Castlevaina Ghost Rider game.

I know that was ALOT of text, but TL;DR if you like DMC/GOW or Superhero games, check this out. One of those Peak Fiction 7/10's to me.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Went nearly 3 times over odds but my most recent shiny was Eiscue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z25

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just a random question that came to my mind to Pokemon peeps: You know how Dark and Fairy types were added partially to balance the broken types of the time (respectively Psychic and Dragon)?

If GameFreak were to add another type or two, which types would they be created as an opposition to?
Probably Fairy it's not a busted as GEN 1 Psychic and has less Stat Power creep than Dragon but is still really strong against 3 very strong types, or ideally something that'll allow Bug or Ice to be more useful. Problem is most of the good ideas for types got used up I think. Unless they want to make Sound or Light(which Fairy kind of implements a bit) their own things. Lava could've been one, but Ground and Fire together cover that.

Maybe a Cosmic/Space type? Could update stuff like Deoxys to have it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Probably Fairy it's not a busted as GEN 1 Psychic and has less Stat Power creep than Dragon but is still really strong against 3 very strong types, or ideally something that'll allow Bug or Ice to be more useful. Problem is most of the good ideas for types got used up I think. Unless they want to make Sound or Light(which Fairy kind of implements a bit) their own things. Lava could've been one, but Ground and Fire together cover that.

Maybe a Cosmic/Space type? Could update stuff like Deoxys to have it.
I can see Cosmic working as a type, with so many Pokemon having direct associations with it. Though pretty much all of them are Psychic types so there wouldn't be much variety.

Maybe you can go with Nuclear like Persona did but... I think official Pokemon games are better off avoiding that.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Speed Weed Speed Weed Uh oh
Billy Hatcher is one of my favorite Sega games. Definitely needed some touch ups to gameplay. It was a fun concept though and I liked how it incorporated the egg creatures into puzzles.

The multiplayer was also a solid experience all things considered with a lot of potential for a new take. He also had some of the best tracks in all stars racing.

Would love to se him get a shot again, weather it be a remake or a sequel, maybe even both one day.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I look forward to further comments
I can also give my two cents, as I actively participate in a SEGA Smash-clone thread (shill shill):

• Yeah, maybe Sonic has one too many characters. (Though Big is a based pick)
  • How would AiAi and his crew play? Given they all have unique traits, I'm assuming that you're just focusing on the marbles.
  • Thanks for making all Crazy Taxi characters in the first game playable.
  • Virtua Fighter has a good selection but maybe one of them could've been a more unorthodox pick to spice things up, like Jeffry.
  • I'd consider giving Joe Musashi at least a clone character in the form of Hotsuma, if not a separate character.
  • If they're not going to be playable, the assist selection can use more RPGs imo. Yeah, I'm biased for 7th Dragon and Resonance of Fate but you also have Shining, Wonder Boy, etc.
  • Minor nitpick but the protagonist of the Altered Beast is usually called Centurion.
  • The overall roster is actually quite nice, I'd also like to see you tackle the boss selection in the future.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When it comes to obscure SEGA stuff, I mostly mention Vectorman since I legit kind of like those games. And He's a cool robot man.

But an ideal SEGA fighting crossover NEEDS a good chunk of Streets of Rage and Virtua Fighter. Hell, I'd take Axel, Blaze and Adam in a Virtua Fighter 6.

osby

Smash Obsessed
When it comes to obscure SEGA stuff, I mostly mention Vectorman since I legit kind of like those games. And He's a cool robot man.

But an ideal SEGA fighting crossover NEEDS a good chunk of Streets of Rage and Virtua Fighter. Hell, I'd take Axel, Blaze and Adam in a Virtua Fighter 6.
I understand why they didn't do full crossover fighters but it's a bit weird how there are no Streets of Rage outfits in any VF games. We got Like a Dragon and Space Channel 5 from what I remember, there could be more.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I understand why they didn't do full crossover fighters but it's a bit weird how there are no Streets of Rage outfits in any VF games. We got Like a Dragon and Space Channel 5 from what I remember, there could be more.
Yeah. I just kind of wish they pulled a Final Fight-Street Fighter style connection between the two I guess. I feel like it'd fit, y'know? Not going full Sonic in VF or anything(unless it's a full company crossover)

Speaking of Final Fight, I kind of hope Guy/Haggar/Cody get to be an MVC team. Same with MMX/Zero/Axl. It'd be cool to see what ways they could exaggerate Cody and Guy's movesets.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speed Weed Speed Weed Uh oh
the end of days is upon us
Streets of Rage kinda showed up weirdly rarely in other SEGA stuff. It did get a lot of nods in the SEGA Hard Girls anime, and Axel did show up in PXZ2, for example, but not a lot of stuff overall. According to a SEGA community member I know, it was probably because of the original creators apparently no longer being at SEGA, but also according to him, that might not matter anymore in the future. It did get a couple nods in their 60th anniversary, so I hope that's a sign things change

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. I just kind of wish they pulled a Final Fight-Street Fighter style connection between the two I guess. I feel like it'd fit, y'know? Not going full Sonic in VF or anything(unless it's a full company crossover)
Honestly, I'd sooner expect them to pull the same thing with Fighting Vipers after Fighters Mega Mix but I guess both of those may be a bit too flashy for Virtua Fighter. Without a new VF on the horizon, it's hard to say.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly, I'd sooner expect them to pull the same thing with Fighting Vipers after Fighters Mega Mix but I guess both of those may be a bit too flashy for Virtua Fighter. Without a new VF on the horizon, it's hard to say.
Yeah, but VF5 did well when it was F2P. There was some interview with Harada, I think it was a Harada's Bar where he mentioned that they pay attention to when the competition releases new titles and he all but name drops Virtua Fighter by saying Virtua, it ain't much, but I imagine most of the Fighting game guys, even Boon to some extent aren't trying to eat into each others sales too much if they can help it since the genre's comparatively niche. Though of course, Harada's info can only go so far, it would reach further than some other random dude on Twitter.

I think VF could come back, I'm more so curious on HOW they'll handle it. I mostly played VF 1,2 and 4. Though seeing footage of 3, I was blown away for how good the visuals were for 1996. Cause it looked like a Dreamcast game already.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Current Legends Arceus team is Decidueye, Wyrdeer, Kleavor, Ursaring, Sligoo, and Basculegion.

I'm probably gonna replace Wyrdeer since I need a fast special attacker for the team but other than that and the fact some Pokémon have yet to evolve I'm good.

I've reached the Coronet Highlands but I'm doing sidequests before tackling the main story there

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I can also give my two cents, as I actively participate in a SEGA Smash-clone thread (shill shill):

• Yeah, maybe Sonic has one too many characters. (Though Big is a based pick)
  • How would AiAi and his crew play? Given they all have unique traits, I'm assuming that you're just focusing on the marbles.
  • Thanks for making all Crazy Taxi characters in the first game playable.
  • Virtua Fighter has a good selection but maybe one of them could've been a more unorthodox pick to spice things up, like Jeffry.
  • I'd consider giving Joe Musashi at least a clone character in the form of Hotsuma, if not a separate character.
  • If they're not going to be playable, the assist selection can use more RPGs imo. Yeah, I'm biased for 7th Dragon and Resonance of Fate but you also have Shining, Wonder Boy, etc.
  • Minor nitpick but the protagonist of the Altered Beast is usually called Centurion.
  • The overall roster is actually quite nice, I'd also like to see you tackle the boss selection in the future.
Yeah, the monkey ball people are in the marbles. That's how you control them in the main series of games. I don't quite know how it would work but it's why i'm comfortable making them skins of each other.... though that does make me rethink my stance on ecco the dolphin.

Top Bottom