• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know, it kind of feels like there should have been another Sonic game between Forces and Frontiers (probably one staring Classic Sonic). It just feels weird to go from Forces to Frontiers in the series release schedule.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Decided to download Unite after wondering how the game is nowadays.
Screenshot_20241026_020247_Pokmon UNITE.jpg

Haven't played this in a hot minute. Love the new Pokemon they added. And the holowear is nice too, but I'm sticking with this for now. The Battle Pass is alright, but I'm not gonna buy it yet. Need to see if I can complete it before the pass is over.

Played a few matches, love the new Solo challenge. Sometimes not having ass players is cool, and the enemy bots are easy enough, even on extreme.

Overall, still pretty fun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know, it kind of feels like there should have been another Sonic game between Forces and Frontiers (probably one staring Classic Sonic). It just feels weird to go from Forces to Frontiers in the series release schedule.
They needed the time to cook and it paid off immensely by having Frontiers be the best selling game in 20 years and with Sonadow Gens already selling over half of the official sales numbers we have of 2011 Gens
Ok. Question. Does Sonic 3D Blast count as a real official Sonic game?
I think the bigger question is why wouldn't it

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Let's be real folks, the only good thing to ever come out of House of Mouse was the Hades/Maleficent shipping

How can I complain about the villains from two peak Disney movies becoming an item and destroying all schmucks in their way?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They needed the time to cook and it paid off immensely by having Frontiers be the best selling game in 20 years and with Sonadow Gens already selling over half of the official sales numbers we have of 2011 Gens
Time to see if the next project will carry that momentum or if people will tire of open world Sonic quickly.

I think the bigger question is why wouldn't it
Because nobody seems to count it ever in timelines or collections and it missed out on generations.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Time to see if the next project will carry that momentum or if people will tire of open world Sonic quickly.

Because nobody seems to count it ever in timelines or collections and it missed out on generations.
We just got our second one to massive critical acclaim with it likely outselling 2011 Gens. You're doing the equivelant of saying Boost needed to be retired after Colours

I think it's just because there's not a lot of people who've played it in comparison to other titles, like, Triple Trouble is a very well liked game but never gets even a fraction of the kind of attention the classic Genesis trilogy does

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm generally ******* pissed off right now.

Went to the animal reserve to volunteer like I do very Wednesday and Saturday since June. I'd just found out from the owner that one of the dogs adopted had to be put down due to neglect of the owner that adopted him. What pisses me off more was the fact this dog was my favorite one there at the time he was still there. Homie was probably the sweetest and most gentle dog I knew.

Apparently for a while he had tumors around his neck, how and why she failed to notice this is my question when it got to that point he couldn't move anymore, it was too late as he was taken to the vet and there was nothing they could do.

I'm devastated, I'm numb, I'm just downright pissed. To think this lady was a good person. She has lost all my respect and I wish all the worst on her. I hope she goes broke and becomes homeless.

Everyone including Robin the owner, and other volunteers are upset including me.

You'll be missed Homie, we all loved you. You deserved a much better home that would've given you the love and attention you needed.

**** anyone who sees dogs as nothing but property. They are part of the family and that's how they should be seen as. Anyone that sees them as nothing but "property" doesn't have my respect.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just saw a YouTube thumbnail that said Metal Sonic specifically used to be a brilliant rival for Sonic but now he’s been “ruined” and I’m like “how”? How can he have been ruined when he hasn’t had a substantial role in any game’s story since Sonic Heroes (and I guess Sonic 4 but that game has dubious canon and barely any story).
We just got our second one to massive critical acclaim with it likely outselling 2011 Gens. You're doing the equivelant of saying Boost needed to be retired after Colours
Ok but shadow gens feels like it barely counts. It’s mostly boost style levels, it just has an open hub world. And you can beat the game without really engaging with most of its content (I know, I did so). But you can’t really do that with Frontiers. Most of that game is its open world and you can’t really beat it without heavily engaging with that world and its unique gameplay elements. The gameplay loop is very different between the two and it’s yet to be seen if another game that is fully the open zone content like Frontiers was will do as well.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In the chance I ever see this lady in public. I'm going to punch her regardless of the charges I get.

If I had it my way of running the world. She'd already be dead.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Just saw a YouTube thumbnail that said Metal Sonic specifically used to be a brilliant rival for Sonic but now he’s been “ruined” and I’m like “how”? How can he have been ruined when he hasn’t had a substantial role in any game’s story since Sonic Heroes (and I guess Sonic 4 but that game has dubious canon and barely any story).

Ok but shadow gens feels like it barely counts. It’s mostly boost style levels, it just has an open hub world. And you can beat the game without really engaging with most of its content (I know, I did so). But you can’t really do that with Frontiers. Most of that game is its open world and you can’t really beat it without heavily engaging with that world and its unique gameplay elements. The gameplay loop is very different between the two and it’s yet to be seen if another game that is fully the open zone content like Frontiers was will do as well.
Oh is that from that one person who said Robotnik was a serious villain unlike Eggman, who's a joke? If so, they're a tool not worth listening to

Sonadow Gens is also a low budget game made in short time, using critcisms from Frontiers to improve on it, best examples probably being the way Shadow has significantly less 2D with whatever remaining being good and the bosses being spectacles while also being more mechanically interesting than most Titans. It's clear they still want to do the Open Zone stuff and that they're also genuinely listening to what people did or didn't like. I also still don't get the hatred of open world as it's just a collectathon like what you claim to love and miss, only you get cool movement tech with quickslides and midair chaos spears.

I still need to do 2 of those challenges but I have no clue what I need to do for routing to make it easier and I can't find anyone doing it on youtube

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh is that from that one person who said Robotnik was a serious villain unlike Eggman, who's a joke? If so, they're a tool not worth listening to
I got no idea. I just saw the thumbnail and thought it was a ridiculous concept. Neo Metal Sonic was on the thumbnail though.
Sonadow Gens is also a low budget game made in short time, using critcisms from Frontiers to improve on it, best examples probably being the way Shadow has significantly less 2D with whatever remaining being good and the bosses being spectacles while also being more mechanically interesting than most Titans. It's clear they still want to do the Open Zone stuff and that they're also genuinely listening to what people did or didn't like. I also still don't get the hatred of open world as it's just a collectathon like what you claim to love and miss, only you get cool movement tech with quickslides and midair chaos spears.

I still need to do 2 of those challenges but I have no clue what I need to do for routing to make it easier and I can't find anyone doing it on youtube
OK pretty much the only collectathons I actually like are the Banjo games and those worlds are very compact. Yes, you aren't running down a hallway, but the levels are jam packed with characters and set-pieces (more set-pieces in the first game, more characters in the second) that make each world feel like a fun whimsical place that I actually want to run around in despite my general distaste for non-linear levels.

Frontiers is mostly 4 giant empty spaces based on 3 different biomes with nobody in it except one friend per island and Sage. The story writing with those friends is interesting, but the worlds just aren't interesting enough to make me want to run around in them. I still beat the whole game out of an obligation to the money I spent on it, but most of the fun I had was in the Cyberspace stages, which were just inferior versions of levels I had already played and enjoyed in older Sonic titles. And yet I still fully opened up the entire map on all 4 islands, even though I still didn't

Shadow Generations is better in some regards. The levels are not just rips from Unleashed and Generations (even if they are based on other older games) but since you don't need any of the collectables in the open world to progress (the bolts for Orbot and Cubot, the art chests, the music notes you get from beating challenges) I just didn't feel any need to do any of it. I somehow ended up collecting 20 of those bolts before I beat the main campaign but that was just from ending up next to them in the over-world rather than deliberate exploration.

Ultimately I'm not the kind of person who enjoys just screwing around in an open space, no matter how fun the movement tech is. I'm not the kind of person who feels a desire to explore for the sake of it. I never go "I wonder what's over there" and try to figure out how to get there. I want to complete goals. I want a task-list to complete in the most efficient and fun way the game allows. And while you can play Frontiers like that, it's clearly designed for a more freeform exploration driven gameplay loop which just does not appeal to me. ShadGens can be played in that way mostly, but that means almost completley ignoring the open world and just going from level to level, boss to boss.

Side note, aside from the Biolizard I hated shad gens bosses. Devil Doom was my fault because I didn't realize I was supposed to mash the homing attack button to take huge parts of his health bar away so I was just chipping away at it in little bits. Metal Overlord was lame because it was entirely on the damn surfboard so it just felt like a less interesting boss fight, and Mephiles was so dependent on the Doom Morph that barely ever did what it was supposed to and was super finicky to control. It's like if Generations had the wisps in every level instead of just planet wisp and the only way to beat the bosses was to use the friggin Hover Wisp to bash in to Perfect Chaos's head.

Maybe they can make this format work for me but they'd need to do a lot of stuff I doubt SEGA would be willing to do with Sonic as a character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I got no idea. I just saw the thumbnail and thought it was a ridiculous concept. Neo Metal Sonic was on the thumbnail though.

OK pretty much the only collectathons I actually like are the Banjo games and those worlds are very compact. Yes, you aren't running down a hallway, but the levels are jam packed with characters and set-pieces (more set-pieces in the first game, more characters in the second) that make each world feel like a fun whimsical place that I actually want to run around in despite my general distaste for non-linear levels.

Frontiers is mostly 4 giant empty spaces based on 3 different biomes with nobody in it except one friend per island and Sage. The story writing with those friends is interesting, but the worlds just aren't interesting enough to make me want to run around in them. I still beat the whole game out of an obligation to the money I spent on it, but most of the fun I had was in the Cyberspace stages, which were just inferior versions of levels I had already played and enjoyed in older Sonic titles. And yet I still fully opened up the entire map on all 4 islands, even though I still didn't

Shadow Generations is better in some regards. The levels are not just rips from Unleashed and Generations (even if they are based on other older games) but since you don't need any of the collectables in the open world to progress (the bolts for Orbot and Cubot, the art chests, the music notes you get from beating challenges) I just didn't feel any need to do any of it. I somehow ended up collecting 20 of those bolts before I beat the main campaign but that was just from ending up next to them in the over-world rather than deliberate exploration.

Ultimately I'm not the kind of person who enjoys just screwing around in an open space, no matter how fun the movement tech is. I'm not the kind of person who feels a desire to explore for the sake of it. I never go "I wonder what's over there" and try to figure out how to get there. I want to complete goals. I want a task-list to complete in the most efficient and fun way the game allows. And while you can play Frontiers like that, it's clearly designed for a more freeform exploration driven gameplay loop which just does not appeal to me. ShadGens can be played in that way mostly, but that means almost completley ignoring the open world and just going from level to level, boss to boss.

Side note, aside from the Biolizard I hated shad gens bosses. Devil Doom was my fault because I didn't realize I was supposed to mash the homing attack button to take huge parts of his health bar away so I was just chipping away at it in little bits. Metal Overlord was lame because it was entirely on the damn surfboard so it just felt like a less interesting boss fight, and Mephiles was so dependent on the Doom Morph that barely ever did what it was supposed to and was super finicky to control. It's like if Generations had the wisps in every level instead of just planet wisp and the only way to beat the bosses was to use the friggin Hover Wisp to bash in to Perfect Chaos's head.

Maybe they can make this format work for me but they'd need to do a lot of stuff I doubt SEGA would be willing to do with Sonic as a character.
I get what you're saying now in a way I can't sass you as this is just a taste thing, but I do feel the need to say that levels as expansive as Shadow Generations' makes them real fun to explore to just find goodies or shortcuts which imo makes the open zone stuff feel better, Shadow already gets incredibly smooth controls opposed to Gens 2011's car like steering which makes him really fun to move around in to see all sorts of diverging pathways. Also gonna hard disagree on the bosses, I think it's safe to say these are the best bosses since Gens 2011 at minimum, though I'd argue most are just flatout better. There is one part of Mephiles' fight that feels awkward but I managed to get both of his S ranks by the time I got past that one time you need to hit him. I also personally really like how Metal Overlord has an audio cue that means "You're not getting an S rank this run" and hope future games end up doing thst more often

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just voted. Last time it was just me and my mom, but this year we got the whole family to vote. Felt good.

Not much else to do now but wait and see what happens. I have hope that it’ll turn out alright. Maybe I’m naive, but I truly believe in the good of this country and most of the people in it.

If you’re worried about the election, both the simplest and most important thing you can do is vote as well. Better to do something than just wobble around in anxiety, right?

Alright that’s enough politics. You may resume your Sonic rants :nifty:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Just voted. Last time it was just me and my mom, but this year we got the whole family to vote. Felt good.

Not much else to do now but wait and see what happens. I have hope that it’ll turn out alright. Maybe I’m naive, but I truly believe in the good of this country and most of the people in it.

If you’re worried about the election, both the simplest and most important thing you can do is vote as well. Better to do something than just wobble around in anxiety, right?

Did you vote for Shroob?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

The Classic Amy Rose got snubbed from Sonic Mania and Mighty and Ray got snubbed from Sonic Origins.

And the Classic Chaotix got snubbed from both.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm at the weird point in PLA where the only Pokemon I'm missing aside from the postgame Legendaries, are Pokemon from Rifts.

And they either aren't spawning, or the Rift doesn't....do anything once I enter it.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm at the weird point in PLA where the only Pokemon I'm missing aside from the postgame Legendaries, are Pokemon from Rifts.

And they either aren't spawning, or the Rift doesn't....do anything once I enter it.
Update:

Time space distortions ****ing suck, man.

Top Bottom