• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Neva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee Talk Tokyo

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

• Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Fitness Boxing 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other (Partner Showcase)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters

Dukefire

Smash Master
I feel like whoever wants to try and make the Next Big Hero Shooter™ needs to remember the genre is influenced by TF2, a game which has:

• Less classes but they all have defined roles, like how instead of having Medics A, B, C, and D, TF2 just has THE Medic and he can be equipped with all sorts of healing tools.
  • Bigger battles than 5v5. It may not be esport friendly, but esports are generally better when the playerbase decides a game is esport-worthy rather than it being enforced by the publisher, and consoles these days should be able to have more than 10 players in a match when Battlefield on PS4 was able to do 64 player battles.
  • More readable character designs, even with certain cosmetics that let you trick people into thinking your RED Pyro is BLU, it's still easier to tell who's on what team in TF2 than your average hero shooter.
TF2 has made the groundwork that other Heroes FPS are built upon. Cosmedics and solid characters that can grow onto the player.
Nowadays, its just make and produce with the goal to gain as much money as possible. I mean, that's the goal for all companies, but some games are more half-baked then completed due to greed and/or adding content that was unnecessary most gamers don't want.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If I was Sony I would simply not pour hundreds of millions of dollars into an obviously doomed game and close half of my studios in the process
What, you think we should snort have smaller titles? All sorts of different games be they beloved IPs or original stuff? Titles that could build up the Playstation brand and make their money back which can then fund bigger titles? That'd never work

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The only live service game that I've really like is Ninjala. I find it really fun and I think the monetization is fair (as in there's been a number of times that I WANT to drop money into it).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
TF2 has made the groundwork that other Heroes FPS are built upon. Cosmedics and solid characters that can grow onto the player.
Nowadays, its just make and produce with the goal to gain as much money as possible. I mean, that's the goal for all companies, but some games are more half-baked then completed due to greed and/or adding content that was unnecessary most gamers don't want.
Okay I love TF2, but Valve has created some of the single most greedy and predatory monetization in any game I have seen. They were always trying to make as much money as possible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We definitely need more single player experiences.

Especially games that are actually complete on launch.
I love games getting extra content after launch. But the game needs to feel complete before you start doing any kind of dlc or updates.
This. Regardless of Concord's quality as a game, I feel bad for all of the employees who worked hard on it only for the game to be poorly received, shut down at least temporarily, and for the employees to potentially get fired or backlash over it because of some executives' crappy planning and bogus demands.

The fact that these poorly made and received live service games are usually made by bigger game developer companies is telling.
Yeah. The way these companies treat their employees is tragic.

Almost makes you think we shouldn't have companies anymore.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hahaha yeah!

.....I never actually saw the sequels did I....?
I haven't seen most of the MCU's films at all lmao.

That said, I can still recommend the sequels. They're incredible films all on their own. And only the third GotG film might require some outside knowledge from the crossover Avengers films to fully understand, and that's only for a handful of characters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If I was Sony I would simply not pour hundreds of millions of dollars into an obviously doomed game and close half of my studios in the process
kinda crazy how many studios decide to overspend to make a game nowadays

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Okay I love TF2, but Valve has created some of the single most greedy and predatory monetization in any game I have seen. They were always trying to make as much money as possible.
It's wild how people think Valve can do no wrong when almost everything terrible about the video game industry can be traced back to them.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
It's wild how people think Valve can do no wrong when almost everything terrible about the video game industry can be traced back to them.
Lootbox haters when you point out that TF2 has lootboxes that require you to pay real money to even open them (Lord GabeN can do no wrong)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well it was really various Korean MMO's that came up with the idea of having a game be free to play with microtransactions being how the game makes money but Valve did normalize it for the rest of the world.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Eh, being fair, TF2 became free to play after a while, so at least by spending some money on cosmetics, you would be directly supporting what at that point was otherwise a free game. But loot boxes are still a janky and arguably outright bad concept due to the sheer randomness and how stupidly expensive rarer (and still entirely virtual) items can get.

One of the things I'll say Overwatch originally did better is that, if they were gonna have lootboxes, you could at least get lootboxes more easily and not need to pay any real currency to obtain or open them.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I got an idea.

A Smashboards based team shooter. We got

• The Socialite
  • The Discusser (Soldier Clone, except they're even more racist)
  • The Speculator (annoy enemies to death)
  • The Lurker (Spy Clone)
  • The Spambot (Sombra, but instead of hacking they just crash the game)
  • The Rythmic Ramen (they're a Saxton Hale Clone. Too OP)
  • The Legally Distinct Geno
  • The Hiester (OC based of the hit comic The Hiest by Gabe "Noipoi" Smashboards)
  • The Banned (it's best to turn off their voicelines)

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, Mario and Luigi Brothership's adventure will be taking place in the land called "Concordia". Creative name Nintendo.

Also, seen that Twitter is now bringing up that "Concord" will be offline for good on Sept 6th. Plus, Concordia name reveal seems to be a coincidence of Concord's offline announcement.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well it's not like they intended for it to be a Concord reference, it was just an unfortunate coincidence.
I know, but it is an island inhabited with people of electrical sockets and instruments. Definition of Concordia is "harmony" or "peace" in latin after looking it up.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm glad Metroid Prime 3 made collectable hunting really easy.

Less of a headache to deal with.
Also, hyper mode does make battles easier due to increased firepower. Though, maintain health carefully as it does require a full energy tank per activation. Once you reach the final part of the game, be sure to grab everything. If you start, there is no turning back.

Top Bottom