• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
speaking of video game-to-movie adaptations, why did Netflix shelved the Mega Man movie for no reason?

Edit: I guess it is canned with Screen Gems' Devil May Cry movie

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I mean, there are a lot of things to say about mainstream gaming homogeneity and the desire for every studio ti have their own whaling vessel in the form of an always online game of some kind (typically a multiplayer shooter but not always) and how that’s effecting the general gaming landscape in terms of both what’s being released and the discussions/culture surrounding gaming. View attachment 392790
They're chasing trends cause that's where the money is at. The industry has always been like that, 90s was all about mascot platformers, 00s was all about edgy shooters, and 2010s was about big world action adventures/RPGs. So yeah, everyone wants a slice of that love action shooter pie because that sells.

The solution is to play other games
I mean you can't really deny that the AAA gaming industry is in a pretty bad place rn, a **** ton of money gets poured into development because every game has to be the next big thing and that means games take way longer to develop and that they don't make as much money which in turn results in layoffs because the higher ups can't be punished for their own **** ups. Plus we're deep in microtransaction hell.

That being said the idea that "gaming is dead" or that there's no good games to play is asinine, you just have to look in the right places

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean you can't really deny that the AAA gaming industry is in a pretty bad place rn, a ** ton of money gets poured into development because every game has to be the next big thing and that means games take way longer to develop and that they don't make as much money which in turn results in layoffs because the higher ups can't be punished for their own ** ups. Plus we're deep in microtransaction hell.

That being said the idea that "gaming is dead" or that there's no good games to play is asinine, you just have to look in the right places
No you're right, it is in a bad place. It's gonna collapse for sure with layoffs, ballooning costs, and the free to play hell (and majority if them are just money black holes for companies).

It's just when people go "gaming isn't fun anymore" and to that I say "well maybe you gotta play a different game".

Jondolio

Smash Hero
No you're right, it is in a bad place. It's gonna collapse for sure with layoffs, ballooning costs, and the free to play hell (and majority if them are just money black holes for companies).

It's just when people go "gaming isn't fun anymore" and to that I say "well maybe you gotta play a different game".
Honestly as a Nintendo fan I didn't even notice all of this cause Nintendo's actually in a really good spot compared to the rest of the industry. This isn't me being a bootlicker either, I'm just having fun with the games Nintendo's pumping out and feel like I usually get my money's worth

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly as a Nintendo fan I didn't even notice all of this cause Nintendo's actually in a really good spot compared to the rest of the industry. This isn't me being a bootlicker either, I'm just having fun with the games Nintendo's pumping out and feel like I usually get my money's worth
Even they are privy to terrible tactics, their pricing system for example gets on my nerves and they never put anything on sale. This is primarily for their remakes and remasters of decade old games that they ship for full price but never add anything to make it worth it.

and also NSO, but I think the game selection makes it kinda worth it now. Before then absolutely not Bring back virtual console.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Even they are privy to terrible tactics, their pricing system for example gets on my nerves and they never put anything on sale. This is primarily for their remakes and remasters of decade old games that they ship for full price but never add anything to make it worth it.

and also NSO, but I think the game selection makes it kinda worth it now. Before then absolutely not Bring back virtual console.
I'm not saying they're innocent, I had to hack my 3DS because they're just awful at preserving their games and letting people play them through different means. I remember when I just started getting into emulation and they took down a bunch of roms from the site I was using.

It's just that I can put up with their bad preservation and pricings because at least they don't pour billions into development and still make great games more often than not

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying they're innocent, I had to hack my 3DS because they're just awful at preserving their games and letting people play them through different means. I remember when I just started getting into emulation and they took down a bunch of roms from the site I was using.
I would say Vimm's Lair but they got hit with DMCAs by every company in the book.

It's just that I can put up with their bad preservation and pricings because at least they don't pour billions into development and still make great games more often than not
That's fair, and I'm kind of in the same boat too.

But I also don't buy as many Nintendo games as I used to since going to college so many years ago, I'm trying to branch off into different departments of gaming.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I would say Vimm's Lair but they got hit with DMCAs by every company in the book.

That's fair, and I'm kind of in the same boat too.

But I also don't buy as many Nintendo games as I used to since going to college so many years ago, I'm trying to branch off into different departments of gaming.
I don't play exclusively Nintendo games either, they make up the majority of what I play but there's a ton of great games out there from other devs. I'm also working on getting a more powerful PC so that I'll be able to play other stuff, there's so many great games on Steam alone and it annoys me to see so many unplayed games on my library

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't play exclusively Nintendo games either, they make up the majority of what I play but there's a ton of great games out there from other devs. I'm also working on getting a more powerful PC so that I'll be able to play other stuff, there's so many great games on Steam alone and it annoys me to see so many unplayed games on my library
I don't really do triple AAA gaming like that and when I do it's usually when it's on sale. Too expensive nowadays. In the case of Nintendo, I look into sites where I can get it for cheaper, like PlayAsia where ToTK was only $60 and Mario TTYD was $50 as opposed to $70 and $60.

As for my Laptop. it can run some AAA games of the last gen but it's an indie and retro game machine. I was disappointed that it somehow can't run SF6 so my dream kinda ends there.

Edit: Actually, it can at bare minimum

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't really do triple AAA gaming like that and when I do it's usually when it's on sale. Too expensive nowadays. In the case of Nintendo, I look into sites where I can get it for cheaper, like PlayAsia where ToTK was only $60 and Mario TTYD was $50 as opposed to $70 and $60.

As for my Laptop. it can run some AAA games of the last gen but it's an indie and retro game machine. I was disappointed that it somehow can't run SF6 so my dream kinda ends there.
I'm playing Persona 4 Golden right now which is definitely not the pinnacle of modern day AAA gaming and I had to tinker with it to get it to run well. I'm a backlog gamer, most of the games I buy are older titles I missed out on so they're usually cheaper than most modern AAA games.

Sales do help tho, I got a bunch of games on summer sale and they totalled for less than your average Nintendo Switch game (they included three Batman Arkham games so they're not small games either)

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm playing Persona 4 Golden right now which is definitely not the pinnacle of modern day AAA gaming and I had to tinker with it to get it to run well. I'm a backlog gamer, most of the games I buy are older titles I missed out on so they're usually cheaper than most modern AAA games.

Sales do help tho, I got a bunch of games on summer sale and they totalled for less than your average Nintendo Switch game (they included three Batman Arkham games so they're not small games either)
I checked again and I can run AAA on my laptop rn, but it's like the minimum to do so. Cause I was wondering how my laptop can run Eldin Ring but not SF6 (it can do both but again at the minimum).

Do I want to though? Eh... I can stick to the AAA of the past. And Indie Games too, those rule and come in a satisfactory bang for my buck.

Edit: actually no my laptop has the recommended specs for elden ring but not street fighter what is this?

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I checked again and I can run AAA on my laptop rn, but it's like the minimum to do so. Cause I was wondering how my laptop can run Eldin Ring but not SF6 (it can do both but again at the minimum).

Do I want to though? Eh... I can stick to the AAA of the past. And Indie Games too, those rule and come in a satisfactory bang for my buck.

Edit: actually no my laptop has the recommended specs for elden ring but not street fighter what is this?
Honestly I just want to be able to run as many games as possible. Even if I don't have to play stuff like Elden Ring or Spider-Man right this moment there could be a game I really want that my current PC can't run, and I feel like it's worth the investment for me personally.

Also damn modern consoles really are damn near worthless huh

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Seeing all the praise for A New Wish and hearing that it's actually got good writing reminds me of back when the original Fairly Oddparents show had stellar writing, but also how good the first video games were.

Especially Shadow Showdown...And also it's soundtrack.

And this is the boss theme of what looks like an unconvincing Scooby-Doo monster in a licensed video game. They did not have to go this hard.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Seeing all the praise for A New Wish and hearing that it's actually got good writing reminds me of back when the original Fairly Oddparents show had stellar writing, but also how good the first video games were.

Especially Shadow Showdown...And also it's soundtrack.

And this is the boss theme of what looks like an unconvincing Scooby-Doo monster in a licensed video game. They did not have to go this hard.
****ing loved Shadow Showdown. I demand for an HD remake alongside the entire Nicktoons Unite series (and Attack of the Twonkies)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wait, Skibidi Toilet getting a movie isn't a joke?

I mean, I was kinda half-expecting it to get something like a Netflix series at some point with how insanely popular this meme series is but WHY THE HELL IS THIS HAPPENING BEFORE HALF-LIFE ITSELF GETS A MOVIE
Ok......that is something I didn't know and now in shock on WHY that content is getting more.
Screenshot_20240702_082219_YouTube.jpg

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I just want to be able to run as many games as possible. Even if I don't have to play stuff like Elden Ring or Spider-Man right this moment there could be a game I really want that my current PC can't run, and I feel like it's worth the investment for me personally.

Also damn modern consoles really are damn near worthless huh
I mean consoles exist for peeps that can't shell out thousands of dollars, but then they hiked the prices of them

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was driving on my way home from work when I got a text from one of my installers.

I sent him out at 8 AM to repair the subfloor in a woman’s laundry room. This is like the second time where it’s been flooded (because of her) and needs to be fixed.

He texts me at 4PM that the woman decided to not get it fixed (totally fine), but also disclosed that he didn’t tell me until then because he took her out on a date and then boinked her.

1721857919065.jpeg

I like his honesty but I really didn’t need to know all that.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Making a movie or show centered around a meme is a failure waiting to happen. As most memes come and go, this meme easily has the possibility to be forgotten by people and can happen long before filming even has a chance to finish.

It's not a money printer by any means.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

But I mean… they aren’t wrong. I don’t play any of these games (besides Multiversus, I am part of the problem!) but just hearing about them makes gaming as a whole less fun to engage with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But I mean… they aren’t wrong. I don’t play any of these games (besides Multiversus, I am part of the problem!) but just hearing about them makes gaming as a whole less fun to engage with.
Is it because you’re also engaging with the video game circles on social media? The most toxic/negative possible space for videogame enjoyers?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I dunno man, I’ll watch videos like that and just me thankful that the games I do like are still fun for me.

I’m not worried that gaming is dying I’m playing silly plumber games :dkmelee:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno man, I’ll watch videos like that and just me thankful that the games I do like are still fun for me.

I’m not worried that gaming is dying I’m playing silly plumber games :dkmelee:
Is it because you’re also engaging with the video game circles on social media? The most toxic/negative possible space for videogame enjoyers?
This is just kind of how I feel every time I see the next ftp shooter trailer. Or the trailer for just… any game with realistic graphics that isn’t Devil may cry or Bayonetta.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is just kind of how I feel every time I see the next ftp shooter trailer. Or the trailer for just… any game with realistic graphics that isn’t Devil may cry or Bayonetta.
I say that’s fair though because the market is saturated with that specific genre of games right now. You gotta really dig for diamonds in the rough.

Top Bottom