• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Its so hard calling my fellow blacks on here ***** because because could see it as "female dog" or the ****ing Hard R if they didnt know I was black
Maybe that should be one of the things we put on our profile, like location.

You know most people would just use it for memes

Come to thing of it a pronouns indicator would be cool too.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Its so hard calling my fellow blacks on here ***** because because could see it as "female dog" or the ****ing Hard R if they didnt know I was black
Ok, let's play a game. To me, you are a true *****.

Now am I calling you a ***** or a *****? Perhaps both. Perhaps neither. Perhaps I'm not saying a censored word at all. Yeah let's go mindgames.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Maybe that should be one of the things we put on our profile, like location.

You know most people would just use it for memes

Come to thing of it a pronouns indicator would be cool too.
Pronouns are already a thing, been a thing for a while I think

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
While individual designs are cool, I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the "this throwback to an old mon is considered a completely new Pokedex entry" thing that they pulled with convergent forms and Paradoxes.

It just feels a little weird to have Jigglypuff and Scream Tail on the same team and them not havimh anything to do with each other gameplay-wise, you know?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Scarlet and Violet's been out for half the time of SwSh and it's already sold just as much. With only a difference of 2 million.

Wild.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeqh, bluesky is public
A bit late
Way late
Um Bluesky is gone cause it got bought out by Disney.

Now it's just the Ice Age machine.

Oh you mean the song Mr. Blue Sky. Pretty sure that's always been public since it's release.

Oh you mean the sky? Yeah it's been blue.

Oh you mean

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
wouldn’t be shocked if Tom Holland ends up being a bomb ass Romeo

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then we have to get into a heated dispute because our opinions on the kiddie monster game don't match perfectly.
Like me and Noi! Speaking of which…

Dislike them all you want but don't make up nonsense to explain why you feel that way
I mean… does that not describe them? All the stuff in Occulture magazine is probably made up in universe, the dex entries give us diddly, the story doesn’t tell us what they are or where they came from, and I think I pretty accurately described them from a visual and gimmick standpoint. Like… I think I’m just coming to a conclusion just based on what I’ve seen/been told about the game. Not making **** up.

If anything my urge would be to make up lore to make them less hateable. Or at least explain where they came from.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Like me and Noi! Speaking of which…

I mean… does that not describe them? All the stuff in Occulture magazine is probably made up in universe, the dex entries give us diddly, the story doesn’t tell us what they are or where they came from, and I think I pretty accurately described them from a visual and gimmick standpoint. Like… I think I’m just coming to a conclusion just based on what I’ve seen/been told about the game. Not making **** up.

If anything my urge would be to make up lore to make them less hateable. Or at least explain where they came from.
See the problem is that you’re coming by at this from the perspective of these being ecological ancestors/descendants of modern Pokémon. And to be fair that was the angle we were all sold at first. But once I understood what these things really were I came to appreciate them much more.

They’re the Pokémon equivalent of old 50s horror movies or classic sci-fi stories or adventure serials. Old, corny concepts like journeying to the center of the earth to fight lizard men, or 50 foot insects destroying a city. With the specific theming of dinosaurs and robots.

“Attack of the 1000 year old Donphan!!!” “Beware the Volcarona from outer space!!!”

And because this is the Pokémon world and anything’s possible, we’re using timey-wimey sci-fi nonsense to actually bring these ridiculous creatures into our world.

And design wise, the idea of taking existing Pokemon and twisting them up into dinosaur shapes is something I never knew I wanted before it happened. It’s something kid me would’ve loved, and it’s a level of creativity that I have to respect. The Violet paradoxes are a little more tame, I wish they would’ve incorporated more cyborg elements, but I like them fine enough.

But the point with both versions is that, regardless of the lore and speaking from a purely design perspective, these aren’t meant to be real creatures. They’re movie monsters. And I love that.

Now obviously you don’t, and that’s fine. Opinions and all. Just stop doing the thing where you don’t understand why someone likes something so you react by decrying it as dumb and bad and poopy.

Okay? :nifty:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Get ready for them to cancel the entire series because they can't replace one crew member.
See the problem is that you’re coming by at this from the perspective of these being ecological ancestors/descendants of modern Pokémon. And to be fair that was the angle we were all sold at first. But once I understood what these things really were I came to appreciate them much more.

They’re the Pokémon equivalent of old 50s horror movies or classic sci-fi stories or adventure serials. Old, corny concepts like journeying to the center of the earth to fight lizard men, or 50 foot insects destroying a city. With the specific theming of dinosaurs and robots.

“Attack of the 1000 year old Donphan!!!” “Beware the Volcarona from outer space!!!”

And because this is the Pokémon world and anything’s possible, we’re using timey-wimey sci-fi nonsense to actually bring these ridiculous creatures into our world.

And design wise, the idea of taking existing Pokemon and twisting them up into dinosaur shapes is something I never knew I wanted before it happened. It’s something kid me would’ve loved, and it’s a level of creativity that I have to respect. The Violet paradoxes are a little more tame, I wish they would’ve incorporated more cyborg elements, but I like them fine enough.

But the point with both versions is that, regardless of the lore and speaking from a purely design perspective, these aren’t meant to be real creatures. They’re movie monsters. And I love that.

Now obviously you don’t, and that’s fine. Opinions and all. Just stop doing the thing where you don’t understand why someone likes something so you react by decrying it as dumb and bad and poopy.

Okay? :nifty:
I mean... I have opinions on it besides "not liking it". I get that those might be the reasons you do like them but like... I don't know. Sometimes you can't just strip a critical opinion of any and all emotional backing that it may or may not have just for the sake of not hurting someone else's feelings.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean... I have opinions on it besides "not liking it". I get that those might be the reasons you do like them but like... I don't know. Sometimes you can't just strip a critical opinion of any and all emotional backing that it may or may not have just for the sake of not hurting someone else's feelings.
I’m not telling you to strip a critical opinion of any and all emotion

I’m telling you to stop the “I don’t like this. Therefore it is objectively dumb.” shtick.

Or don’t. I’m not your dad, you can do what you want. But just know that every time you do I’ll be there to start a meaningless fight over if :nifty:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m not telling you to strip a critical opinion of any and all emotion

I’m telling you to stop the “I don’t like this. Therefore it is objectively dumb.” shtick.

Or don’t. I’m not your dad, you can do what you want. But just know that every time you do I’ll be there to start a meaningless fight over if :nifty:
I mean... i'm kinda tired of hedging every single statement I make with "imho" or "in my opinon" or "based on my observations", like... on one hand it makes me sound like I don't actually have any conviction behind what I'm saying, and on the other hand it makes it sound like there isn't any reason to say what i'm saying in the first place. Like, opinions can't be used to win arguments because they aren't based on facts, and opinions are either valid if they're based on lifting people up or invalid of they're based on tearing people down. So why bother bringing them up? You already know everything there is to know about an opinion just by having it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean... i'm kinda tired of hedging every single statement I make with "imho" or "in my opinon" or "based on my observations", like... on one hand it makes me sound like I don't actually have any conviction behind what I'm saying, and on the other hand it makes it sound like there isn't any reason to say what i'm saying in the first place. Like, opinions can't be used to win arguments because they aren't based on facts, and opinions are either valid if they're based on lifting people up or invalid of they're based on tearing people down. So why bother bringing them up? You already know everything there is to know about an opinion just by having it.
Because this isn’t a political debate this is a discussion about Pokémon.

Like, what argument are you trying to win here? Let’s use this exact scenario as the example. Are you trying to make the point that “The Paradox Pokémon are bad, actually” And convince people to agree with you?

Cuz that’s just not gonna happen. This is a subjective topic we’re discussing here, a lot of people like these Pokémon and you’re probably not gonna change their minds. So in this instance it’s not softening the blow to state that you’re speaking your opinion. Thats literally what’s happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sonic movie series headcanon.

It's fairly clear Mobians had visited earth before notably in the ancient past if that owl temple in Siberia was anything to go by. Longclaw also clearly knew of the planet.

Mobians having visited earth is what led to many myths, legends and cultures around the world.

Ex. The Echidnas visited Australia in the ancient past and were the "spirits" the Aboriginals worshipped back then who taught them their ways. The Aboriginals also thinking the ring portals they emerge from was the Dreamtime.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because this isn’t a political debate this is a discussion about Pokémon.

Like, what argument are you trying to win here? Let’s use this exact scenario as the example. Are you trying to make the point that “The Paradox Pokémon are bad, actually” And convince people to agree with you?

Cuz that’s just not gonna happen. This is a subjective topic we’re discussing here, a lot of people like these Pokémon and you’re probably not gonna change their minds. So in this instance it’s not softening the blow to state that you’re speaking your opinion. Thats literally what’s happening.
The whole “I don’t like saying “in my opinion”” thing is a boil over symptom from just… how we conduct conversation in general about a lot of things. It’s not super applicable here. But if I didn’t feel like I had to overstate it in other situations I probably wouldn’t under-use it in others.

I think anyway. I’m not a brain… thinky… person… smart boy expert.

Top Bottom