• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
if anybody notices this..why the hell do people think Xbox is gonna die as a 1st party and move on to become a 3rd party company? Did I miss some **** or something cause what the ****?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
if anybody notices this..why the hell do people think Xbox is gonna die as a 1st party and move on to become a 3rd party company? Did I miss some ** or something cause what the **?
XBox hasn't been selling all that well, especially in foreign markets. Microsoft's latest strategy has been less focused on XBox sales but rather selling subscription services via game-pass. The X-Box brand as a whole has kinda moved past consoles and is somewhat shifting to PC given that XBox exclusives end up on the Microsoft store the same day under the XBox name. They're not going full 3rd party but consoles aren't the main priority of XBox. It'll still have a niche as a cheaper alternative to Playstation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

**** me. Getting more looks at it. Chauncey's monstrous form is terrifying.

NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! ONTOTHENOPETRAINIGO!!!!

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No Tendo Direct announced this week.

Please come back next week for the switch 2 presentation.

Although I’m not surprised. Was thinking it be next week as in my predictions awhile back, Nintendo really liked having presentations 2 weeks before or after Pokémon’s.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It also implies one of us is murdered by a temporally displaced dragon and is replaced by a robot duplicate.
One or both.

I kind of assume the storyline in both versions of the game is cannon, so both of his parents are dead and replaced by robot copies.

Unless there's something in the explicit text of the game I haven't played that states otherwise, but I imagine they only really talk about the one professor in their respective version.

Shroob

Sup?
One or both.

I kind of assume the storyline in both versions of the game is cannon, so both of his parents are dead and replaced by robot copies.

Unless there's something in the explicit text of the game I haven't played that states otherwise, but I imagine they only really talk about the one professor in their respective version.
There's books that say that the opposite spouse in the relationship walked out on the relationship depending on the game's version, so either Sada or Turo just left their family.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Although I’m not surprised. Was thinking it be next week as in my predictions awhile back, Nintendo really liked having presentations 2 weeks before or after Pokémon’s.
There's no Tendo direct because he's still in prison smh

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There's books that say that the opposite spouse in the relationship walked out on the relationship depending on the game's version, so either Sada or Turo just left their family.
Parallel universe crap. Would be more clever if they actually tried to have both versions plots make sense with each other instead of explicitly contradicting each other. But whatever I guess. If this is the way they want to do it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I would say "the announcement could be tomorrow", but then I realized 3 of the past February Directs were all announced Tuesday, streamed Wednesday.

So uh...next week it is!

Reactions: Z25

Shroob

Sup?
Parallel universe crap. Would be more clever if they actually tried to have both versions plots make sense with each other instead of explicitly contradicting each other. But whatever I guess. If this is the way they want to do it.
They could do that.

For 60 dollars plus tax and a big helping of "You bought the DLC? Buy it again for yet another version". :nifty:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They always did that since Gen 1
I mean... I know the versions have had differences, but have those versions actively contradicted each other before? Like, if what one version says is true the other version can't have happened kind of stuff? Or has it just been stuff like "this thing is in this version but not in the other version, but since they don't contradict each other you could probably just assume they're both true?".

Shroob

Sup?
I mean... I know the versions have had differences, but have those versions actively contradicted each other before? Like, if what one version says is true the other version can't have happened kind of stuff? Or has it just been stuff like "this thing is in this version but not in the other version, but since they don't contradict each other you could probably just assume they're both true?".
Well, Black/White have entire areas that cannot exist in both versions.

And Sun/Moon do the whole PARALLEL UNIVERSES thing between the Ultra Beasts and actually temporarily traveling to the opposite version to get 2nd Cosmog.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They could do that.

For 60 dollars plus tax and a big helping of "You bought the DLC? Buy it again for yet another version". :nifty:
They charge that much regardless of how they write the plot. You just wanted to complain about the pricing.

I'm not asking for "the game doesn't make sense if you don't play both". I'm just asking for "the game doesn't NOT make sense if you do play both and make the perfectly logical assumption that the games are set in the same universe because not everybody played X and Y and knows about the whole "ultimate weapon fractured the timeline" thing".

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Turo just posts on Reddit all day acting 2smart for u

Sada was last seen swinging tree from tree with a group of Zarude.
Turo's probably a techbro Colress dickrider on Chatter.com. He has several Porygon NFTs which are worth 0 pokedollars.

Sada is a fitness influencer on PokTok, though her only routine is squats and glutes for some reason. She also shills MLM protein powders.

Shroob

Sup?
They charge that much regardless of how they write the plot. You just wanted to complain about the pricing.

I'm not asking for "the game doesn't make sense if you don't play both". I'm just asking for "the game doesn't NOT make sense if you do play both and make the perfectly logical assumption that the games are set in the same universe because not everybody played X and Y and knows about the whole "ultimate weapon fractured the timeline" thing".
No, what I mean they probably wouldn't be above doing a "Both stories in one" ala Emerald or Platinum.

But even in a modern era of DLC expansions, knowing them they'd 100% make a 3rd game to do it lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ruby/Sapphire have the events of the story swapped with both teams. B/W switches who gets which dragon. Stuff like that.

I've been here ten years, ask me anything
What was the forum like back in your day?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, Black/White have entire areas that cannot exist in both versions.

And Sun/Moon do the whole PARALLEL UNIVERSES thing between the Ultra Beasts and actually temporarily traveling to the opposite version to get 2nd Cosmog.
aren't there keys that let you unlock the version exclusive areas by trading?

And yeah, by the time of SuMo they were really playing around with the whole "alternate timelines" thing. I just think it's kind of stupid. Like.. to me it makes everything feel way more... it feels less like they're trying to build a world and more like they're just winging it. It makes me feel like they don't care about building a coherent world or story, and I just wish they did. Like, I would be much more satisfied if like... the protagonists in the two versions were canonically different people who existed in the same world and that's why they go different places and experience different stuff. And you explain away the version differences like "different pokemon spawns or a different box legendary" as just game mechanics and not a literal fact of the universe because every damn copy of the game is it's own unique timeline in cannon.

Like, I know this is the way they currently do it, but wouldn't you like it better if they did it differently?

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Yo people, I reorganized my collections. Put out some stuff I don't want to have on the shelves anymore, reorganized everything and now I was able to fit even more stuff.

Also fixed the cable trouble of my consoles. Now they are separate from one another:

Overall really glad with the progress I've made today helping organize the house. Now everything is easier to clean.
That is until I get the LEGO Great Deku Tree and X-Mansion, gonna need to save some space for those juggernauts.

Noipoi

Howdy!

And yeah, by the time of SuMo they were really playing around with the whole "alternate timelines" thing. I just think it's kind of stupid. Like.. to me it makes everything feel way more... it feels less like they're trying to build a world and more like they're just winging it. It makes me feel like they don't care about building a coherent world or story, and I just wish they did. Like, I would be much more satisfied if like... the protagonists in the two versions were canonically different people who existed in the same world and that's why they go different places and experience different stuff. And you explain away the version differences like "different pokemon spawns or a different box legendary" as just game mechanics and not a literal fact of the universe because every damn copy of the game is it's own unique timeline in cannon.

Like, I know this is the way they currently do it, but wouldn't you like it better if they did it differently?
Meh, doesn't bother me that much.

Besides, stuff like Pokemon Masters shows that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. There are canonical parallel universes with different versions of certain characters, but the protagonists in each version of the game are their own separate people who do exist in the same world each time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ruby/Sapphire have the events of the story swapped with both teams. B/W switches who gets which dragon. Stuff like that.
I forgot about those things... man there really is no such thing as "Pokemon Cannon" is there. If anything the series seems like it's constructed around avoiding having one.
No, what I mean they probably wouldn't be above doing a "Both stories in one" ala Emerald or Platinum.

But even in a modern era of DLC expansions, knowing them they'd 100% make a 3rd game to do it lol.
But that doesn't fix the problem. Not really. There would never be an official stance on which version of the story is canon. Even if this third version has all the events of the previous two versions in it, they'ed still be all "it's just another alternate universe take on the story". Like, I get it. There probably doesn't seem like a way to fix the problem in a way that will satisfy me and give them what they want without going back in time or having them make some big statement about the "official Pokemon timeline" like what Zelda did. But like... world building and story telling are like, the best. Why would you squander an opportunity to do it coherently when you have all the building blocks right there in the most popular media franchise on the planet. It really seems like they just don't care.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I forgot about those things... man there really is no such thing as "Pokemon Cannon" is there. If anything the series seems like it's constructed around avoiding having one.

But that doesn't fix the problem. Not really. There would never be an official stance on which version of the story is canon. Even if this third version has all the events of the previous two versions in it, they'ed still be all "it's just another alternate universe take on the story". Like, I get it. There probably doesn't seem like a way to fix the problem in a way that will satisfy me and give them what they want without going back in time or having them make some big statement about the "official Pokemon timeline" like what Zelda did. But like... world building and story telling are like, the best. Why would you squander an opportunity to do it coherently when you have all the building blocks right there in the most popular media franchise on the planet. It really seems like they just don't care.
bothered.png

But they do, or at least someone does.

Once again, Pokemon masters is filled with world building, characters, continuity nods, and callbacks. Establishing that, while there are parallel universes, this is still all one world.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 384284

But they do, or at least someone does.

Once again, Pokemon masters is filled with world building, characters, continuity nods, and callbacks. Establishing that, while there are parallel universes, this is still all one world.
I mean, that's a spinoff though. Probably not run by the actual devs at game freak. And while they obviously have to get approval for everything they write, it's not like that dev team's priorities are the same as GF's.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Technically, it all is alternate timelines. Like the remakes, 3rd versions, and reimagining's all take place in separate, but very similar timelines, and that's been the case for a while. The modern games played up to it, which gave reasonings as to why the remake and 3rd version games are different than the mainline dual versions. And really, the best, and really only, way to put it is that they're all just alternate timelines/dimensions, they just fleshed it out starting with Gen 7. When it comes to referencing back, they tend to use the 3rd versions as the definitive one.

Like some examples on this:

Emerald is the game that SuMo used when bringing back Anabel. Since Emerald never got a remake, the Battle Frontier wasn't a thing, and thus Anabel was missing, they had to give an explanation on how she came back, especially since it follows ORAS's timeline.

Platinum is the game Legends used when it came to being a prequel. All the Sinnoh backstory correlates to Platinum exclusive story.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Yo people, I reorganized my collections. Put out some stuff I don't want to have on the shelves anymore, reorganized everything and now I was able to fit even more stuff.

Also fixed the cable trouble of my consoles. Now they are separate from one another:

Overall really glad with the progress I've made today helping organize the house. Now everything is easier to clean.
That is until I get the LEGO Great Deku Tree and X-Mansion, gonna need to save some space for those juggernauts.
Also, nobody asked about It but here's a better look at the drawing behind the No Way Home LEGO sets:

It was done by one of my IRL friends last year for my birthday. It's basically most of my favourite characters from media in general (he forgot Vector The Crocodile but it is fine because the whole thing rocks).

Also funny story about Red: he is in the drawing because back in high school I did a cosplay of the character which went hard AF. It even won the best costume competition from that year. Sadly I lost all the parts of the cosplay, and I haven't been able to find any surviving photos, so It has become lost media for now sadly.

Top Bottom