• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The 25th anniversary of Smash reminded me that I have one of the very few Smash merchandise that isn't amiibo: The Super Smash Bros. Melee Battle Cards from 2005

View attachment 383304

I still haven't found someone to play it with me
They really just used screenshots from in game to make the cards huh.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
They really just used screenshots from in game to make the cards huh.
Yup. The characters art are from screenshots used in promotional stuff while stages use piss poor quality screen captures.

One thing that makes it hurt some value to me.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have not seen rise of skywalker, but hearing this and reviews made me not watching it even more.
Screenshot_20240120_143206_YouTube.jpg

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Why did we let JJ abrams cook?

Why did we not expect the creator of Lost to pull off some weird bull****?

Why is the LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga version better than the movie?

Why haven't I been happy since December 2019?

"Ah ** they didn't like Rise of Skywalker either oh ** greenlight a ****ton of spinoff TV series!"
We got Andor and The Mandalorian out of it, Soul for a Soul and all that.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Last Jedi is just

1# Snoke feels soo underused. He's just, there, and frankly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, when he had been built up to be this new big threat.

2# Luke's character got ****ing assassinated. I know they decided "**** it, we're going to just ignore the 30+ years of Expanded Universe material to make our own story", but Luke doesn't feel like Luke, it feels like someone decided to make an edgy oc and name him Luke.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean.........they're not....... technically wrong.... just, in a very roundabout way. :nifty:
I guess. What I find funny is that the books and novels explain how Palpatine returned and it brought it back to Darth Plagueis. But the movie doesn't show that.

Just like how they put plot important scenes in Fortnite and not the movie.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Last Jedi is just

1# Snoke feels soo underused. He's just, there, and frankly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, when he had been built up to be this new big threat.

2# Luke's character got ing assassinated. I know they decided " it, we're going to just ignore the 30+ years of Expanded Universe material to make our own story", but Luke doesn't feel like Luke, it feels like someone decided to make an edgy oc and name him Luke.
In general I felt the villains that weren't Kylo were treated poorly in TLJ. Along with Snoke, Captain Phasma was unceremoniously killed off after an already underwhelming appearance in the previous movie, and Hux felt like a joke most of the time.

As for Luke, story-wise I know why they wanted to do it, but it twisted the character to suit the narrative. It wasn't Luke, it was just a guy to move along the story.

Shroob

Sup?
In general I felt the villains that weren't Kylo were treated poorly in TLJ. Along with Snoke, Captain Phasma was unceremoniously killed off after an already underwhelming appearance in the previous movie, and Hux felt like a joke most of the time.

As for Luke, story-wise I know why they wanted to do it, but it twisted the character to suit the narrative. It wasn't Luke, it was just a guy to move along the story.
The same guy who literally went out of his way to prove that his father still had good in him to the point that it almost killed him, fought in several wars, saw his own adoptive parents killed more or less before his eyes

Just, gives up cause his nephew decides to ruin what he had built up, to the point that he contemplates KILLING HIM?

That ain't Luke, man. That is someone's edgy OC.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Killing off Snoke was one of my favourite parts. Felt like the moment they said **** it, let's not just redo the original trilogy and try something new.

Then the next movie they said **** it, let's go back to doing the original trilogy.

Shroob

Sup?
Killing off Snoke was one of my favourite parts. Felt like the moment they said **** it, let's not just redo the original trilogy and try something new.

Then the next movie they said **** it, let's go back to doing the original trilogy.
The problem here is that Snoke just becomes a nothing character.

Making him soo mysterious in the prior movie, only to kill him off extremely unceremoniously is such a tonal whiplash to the point it leaves the audience "What was the point of this character?" And like.... was there any really? It gave is a cool as hell fight scene I admit, but you can more or less write Snoke out of the movies and just, not have his scenes in the first one and the story really doesn't change much.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The problem here is that Snoke just becomes a nothing character.

Making him soo mysterious in the prior movie, only to kill him off extremely unceremoniously is such a tonal whiplash to the point it leaves the audience "What was the point of this character?" And like.... was there any really? It gave is a cool as hell fight scene I admit, but you can more or less write Snoke out of the movies and just, not have his scenes in the first one and the story really doesn't change much.
He was a nothing character to begin with. Basically just served as a new Palpatine to turn Ben Solo to the Dark Side. Really the only thing I walked out wanting to know more about Snoke as a character was where they came from. They gave that in Epsidoe IX showing pretty much what we already knew, just that he wasn't new Palpatine but a Palpatine puppet basically.

Kylo Ren and the trilogy as a whole was instantly much more interesting once they got rid of Snoke and made it seem like he wouldn't be redeemed, which is apparently what they were going for before reversing that decision.

Shroob

Sup?
He was a nothing character to begin with. Basically just served as a new Palpatine to turn Ben Solo to the Dark Side. Really the only thing I walked out wanting to know more about Snoke as a character was where they came from. They gave that in Epsidoe IX showing pretty much what we already knew, just that he wasn't new Palpatine but a Palpatine puppet basically.

Kylo Ren and the trilogy as a whole was instantly much more interesting once they got rid of Snoke and made it seem like he wouldn't be redeemed, which is apparently what they were going for before reversing that decision.
I agree with an extent.

Though I'm also biased because I kinda can't stand Kylo Ren.

I get what they were going for, but a literal manchild as the villain was kinda just, well it got boring seeing him throw the same hissy fit over and over.

Or maybe Kylo Ren is an analogy to Star Wars fans as a whole

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The real issue with the sequel trilogy is how there was no direction or vision with the movies. Ok, Force Awakens was a bit samey, but that's ok because it has been a while since the last SW movie and they're setting it all up with Kylo Ren and Snoke. Rey, Finn, and Poe were gonna be this versions Luke, Han, and Leia. The sphere droid was the cuddly mascot to sell toys, aka R2. There was potential.

And then the next film happens. Finn does nothing of plot relevance and barely hangs out with Rey or Poe because racism creative differences. They introduce Rose to be I guess this version's Lando, except she also does nothing of any importance because racism and sexism fan reception. Oh also Snoke dies with 0 build up and Luke wants to kill his nephew because that's totally in line with his character.

And then Rise of Skywalker hits. Finn has been written out of the movie, because racism international audiences, Rose does nothing because fans suck, Poe exists. They fly now. Oh also I hope you read the books and played Fortnite because Palpatine returned somehow, probably because they realized killing the sequels version of Palpatine in the 2nd movie with 0 hype was a horrible idea. Oh also Kylo has been redeemed or something because yeah. Oh, and piss off all the actors so they don't return.

Good series.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The people saying Palworld is AI generated are wild. Just because CEO likes AI art, doesn’t mean they used it. Game literally credits a ton of artists.

Most of social media like woman, but that doesn’t mean they get any.

So why they can’t think the same for this game is beyond me

Shroob

Sup?
The real issue with the sequel trilogy is how there was no direction or vision with the movies. Ok, Force Awakens was a bit samey, but that's ok because it has been a while since the last SW movie and they're setting it all up with Kylo Ren and Snoke. Rey, Finn, and Poe were gonna be this versions Luke, Han, and Leia. The sphere droid was the cuddly mascot to sell toys, aka R2. There was potential.

And then the next film happens. Finn does nothing of plot relevance and barely hangs out with Rey or Poe because racism creative differences. They introduce Rose to be I guess this version's Lando, except she also does nothing of any importance because racism and sexism fan reception. Oh also Snoke dies with 0 build up and Luke wants to kill his nephew because that's totally in line with his character.

And then Rise of Skywalker hits. Finn has been written out of the movie, because racism international audiences, Rose does nothing because fans suck, Poe exists. They fly now. Oh also I hope you read the books and played Fortnite because Palpatine returned somehow, probably because they realized the sequels version of Palpatine in the 2nd movie with 0 hype was a horrible idea. Oh also Kylo has been redeemed or something because yeah. Oh, and piss off all the actors so they don't return.

Good series.
They Fly Now

It's sad that's the only thing I remember from the movie aside from Rey going super saiyan at the end.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
According to someone I've spoken to, so take this with a grain of salt cause I don't know their source, the devs of Nick Brawl wanted to include Alex Mack on the roster, but Nickelodeon told them no.

I mean, I know nothing about the show but it looks interesting from the wikipedia synopsis. So my stance is that if they want to do the character, they should be allowed to.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
According to someone I've spoken to, so take this with a grain of salt cause I don't know their source, the devs of Nick Brawl wanted to include Alex Mack on the roster, but Nickelodeon told them no.

I mean, I know nothing about the show but it looks interesting from the wikipedia synopsis. So my stance is that if they want to do the character, they should be allowed to.
Aw man, that would have been sweet! I mentioned Alex Mack the other day on this thread.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Aw man, that would have been sweet! I mentioned Alex Mack the other day on this thread.
I saw you mention her, but I didn't take her into account because I had never heard of her before.

But like I said, if they want to do her they should be allowed to do her. As long as they also do some of the stuff that I want too.
Nicktoons Unite Reunion, Glitch Techs, Star Trek Prodigy, TUFF Puppy, and Mighty B!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I saw you mention her, but I didn't take her into account because I had never heard of her before.

But like I said, if they want to do her they should be allowed to do her. As long as they also do some of the stuff that I want too.
Nicktoons Unite Reunion, Glitch Techs, Star Trek Prodigy, TUFF Puppy, and Mighty B!
I would have loved her as a fighter, too. Like I said, I watched her show as a kid in the 90s. Good times...

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
They Fly Now

It's sad that's the only thing I remember from the movie aside from Rey going super saiyan at the end.
The Sequel Trilogy showed why having a consistent visionary be present is important. As overzealous as he was, at least George Lucas had a plan and a vision, and hit on like 4/6 of his movies.

It also showed why you shouldn't have the Star Wars fanbase dictate a company on how to direct a franchise. Finn being written out because fans were racist despite having a cool backstory and character, Rose doing nothing because the fans got extremely racist and sexist and fatphobic (I liked her, and she was pretty af, sue me), having Palpatine return as a last minute nostalgia appeal, appealing to unhinged Reylo fans.

Disaster.

Shroob

Sup?
The Sequel Trilogy showed why having a consistent visionary be present is important. As overzealous as he was, at least George Lucas had a plan and a vision, and hit on like 4/6 of his movies.

It also showed why you shouldn't have the Star Wars fanbase dictate a company on how to direct a franchise. Finn being written out because fans were racist despite having a cool backstory and character, Rose doing nothing because the fans got extremely racist and sexist and fatphobic (I liked her, and she was pretty af, sue me), having Palpatine return as a last minute nostalgia appeal, appealing to unhinged Reylo fans.

Disaster.
I'll go soo far into crazytown territory to say that Phantom Menace isn't even that bad.

It's BORING a lot of time, and Jar Jar/Young Anakin get too much screentime, but Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are just soo good in their roles, and Maul gets an amazing glowup in Clone Wars/Rebels despite having very little characterization present.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The thing I liked about Snoke is how different he was from Palpatine. Sure, he was an imposing, deformed and menacing mentor figure who helped corrupt Ben to join the Dark Side and all that, but he was also extremely full of himself, dressed in bright clothes to emphasize his sense of wealth and self-importance, and spent most of his screentime chewing Klyo out for his failures and basically for being a "Darth Vader wannabe" in-universe. He also never engaged in a Lightsaber battle and instead preferred to use his extreme force powers to do all the heavy lifting, marking him as too confident and arrogant to bother with a direct fight. He also used the Force for things that were never shown or done in the franchise before, such as being able to use the Force from across the galaxy so long as he could see his target, turning Hux into a ragdoll, and along with that savvy enough to catch onto and counter the old "use the Force to retrieve a Lightsaber" trick when Rey tried it. Almost all of his actions in TLJ marked him as quite possibly the strongest Force user in the entire canon franchise up to that point.

And then there was his death scene. Not only did it stand out for being different from both the Original and Prequel Trilogies, but it also seriously called into question what true role in the whole scheme was. Why did he try to corrupt Kylo? How long has he been around? What was his connection, if any, to characters from the previous trilogies? Why did he want to build a new Galactic Empire? Did he want Kylo Ren to kill him instead of Rey all along in order for him to fully embrace the Dark Side and "complete" his training to fully embrace the Dark Side and become power hungry enough to take over the universe? If so, then to what end?

Snoke was really shrouded in mystery and had a uniquely menacing and intruging character as a result, and I was personally of the ilk that believed Snoke wanted Kylo to kill him in TLJ all along as the final step in his training and that his "kills his true enemy" speech was deliberately vague on Snoke's part, Whether that was because he believed Kylo Ren could lead the First Order, rid the galaxy of Jedi for good, or as part of plan that Palaptine or some other uneen figure was working on, I wasn't sure, but I was excited to find out.

Then it turned out that he was just one of many gentically-engineered clones that Palpatine either speaks through directly or uses as a proxy to carry out his plans, which was kinda disappointing. Then they did Palpatine's character and his own revival dirty, so that just rubbed salt in the wound.

I didn't hate TRoS, but man were the villains' largely disappointing in the final films. Had the last film had better writing, I feel Snoke's potential would've been better utilized and that most other characters would've turned out better and stronger with better character arcs.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
looks like Paramount is not happy about their 3rd Nickelodeon related leak this month

just like how I’m still not happy that they cancelled iCarly

Top Bottom