• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There was a 30 year time skip between 6 and 8, No one would act the same as they did in that time.

It was implied in at least Luke's story to be an intrusive thought that ended up being acted upon and a horrible mistake and hid away for it. It was not an active attempt on Kylo's life (again, according to Luke, going back to the whole Rashomon homage.)
Tbf I think the issue is more so that he considered it and even drew out the lightsaber. No to the movies credit, it does point out that it was very uncharacteristic of him to do so but they could have handled it better.

But I do enjoy the passing of the torch to Rey and the final confrontation with him and Kylo, that was cool.

Too bad the fans couldn't see how cool Rey was because she was a girl.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not to mention the ****ING Dagger that pointed to the exact god damn location in the ****ing stupid ass Death Star ruins.

At the very least we got Klaud and Babu Frik so at least there is some good in the misery.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1705897596570.png

how did only ONE of these Akechi contact pictures make it into the final game?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think what really killed RoS is the MCU.

I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, but conspiracy, after the MCU exploded (it was released shortly after Endgame) Disney tried to replicate it within Star Wars, so the writing, dialouge, and delivery were all more akin to MCU films, and they focused on heavy fanservice and stuff.

Only issue is that they half assed it so it sucks on all levels, kinda like... a lot of the MCU post Endgame. I'm serious, compare it to a bad post Endgame MCU movies. Horrible "he's right behind me isn't he" comedy, the stakes in the plot are nonexistent, mobs you with fanservice instead of a coherent plot, they don't properly explain anything, and it feels like a half baked cash grab.

Like compare the writing to Rouge One or Force Awakens, even TLJ to RoS. It's night and day.

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Came up with a voice cast for my Splatoon 4 ideas. I'll talk more about the characters at some point or another, idk.

Callie: Emily Blunt
Marie: Anna Kendrick
Pearl: Zooey Deschanel
Marina: Katie Griffin
Shiver: Tamara Almeida
Frye: Katie Crown
Big Man: Jack Copland
Tenti: Terry McGurrin
Cole: Dan Petronijevic
Draggul (a new supporting character from Story Mode): Jennifer Hale
Okrake (the villain from Story Mode): Grey DeLisle
Drig-Drag (Draggul's brother and a central character in the DLC story): Peter Oldring
DJ Octavio: Tim Curry
Judd and Lil Judd: Drew Nelson
Zipzap (the villain of the DLC story): Matthew Sanders
Sheldon: Brian Froud
Shelly and Donny: Emilie-Claire Barlow and Scott McCord
Raymond (Big Man's cousin, owns the shoe store): Gerardo Gismondi
Rocky (owns the hat store): Deven Mack
Vicky (owns the shirt store): Julie Sype
Francis (Vicky's assistant): Scott McCord
Slicker (owns a new store for housewares!): Carter Hayden
Brencha (the new Sea Snail vendor): Rachel Wilson
Lizzie (owns a restaurant with stat-boosting food): Emma Watson

You guys have NO idea how long I've wanted DJ Octavio to have the voice of Tim Curry.

Forgive me if any of these voice actors have done anything bad lately, I don't keep up with voice actor news

Noipoi

Howdy!
Came up with a voice cast for my Splatoon 4 ideas. I'll talk more about the characters at some point or another, idk.

Callie: Emily Blunt
Marie: Anna Kendrick
Pearl: Zooey Deschanel
Marina: Katie Griffin
Shiver: Tamara Almeida
Frye: Katie Crown
Big Man: Jack Copland
Tenti: Terry McGurrin
Cole: Dan Petronijevic
Draggul (a new supporting character from Story Mode): Jennifer Hale
Okrake (the villain from Story Mode): Grey DeLisle
Drig-Drag (Draggul's brother and a central character in the DLC story): Peter Oldring
DJ Octavio: Tim Curry
Judd and Lil Judd: Drew Nelson
Zipzap (the villain of the DLC story): Matthew Sanders
Sheldon: Brian Froud
Shelly and Donny: Emilie-Claire Barlow and Scott McCord
Raymond (Big Man's cousin, owns the shoe store): Gerardo Gismondi
Rocky (owns the hat store): Deven Mack
Vicky (owns the shirt store): Julie Sype
Francis (Vicky's assistant): Scott McCord
Slicker (owns a new store for housewares!): Carter Hayden
Brencha (the new Sea Snail vendor): Rachel Wilson
Lizzie (owns a restaurant with stat-boosting food): Emma Watson

You guys have NO idea how long I've wanted DJ Octavio to have the voice of Tim Curry.

Forgive me if any of these voice actors have done anything bad lately, I don't keep up with voice actor news
I know this is all fantasy and what have you, but the thought of Nintendo getting all these A-list celebrities doing voice work for a funny squid game on the Wii U 2 is hilarious.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Rise of Skywalker is one of those rare movies where I was checked out by end of the first act. Nothing about it is engaging in any way, what a dumb ****ing film.

The scene where Rey says "I am all the Jedi" and defeats grandpa by crossing her lightsabers made me laugh out loud, what absolute dog**** writing that was. There's nothing good about that movie, it actually makes every movie that came before worse

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know this is all fantasy and what have you, but the thought of Nintendo getting all these A-list celebrities doing voice work for a funny squid game on the Wii U 2 is hilarious.
Which is the joy of fantasy! Alas the world is not ready for Callie with a British accent.

I won't lie, it was tempting to have Chris Pratt voice Judd. But I went for Drew Nelson voicing both him and Lil Judd cuz Total Drama + Dramarama proves he can voice an older and a younger character very well

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Idk, the climax of TRoS was probably the one thing about it I liked. I just like seeing when everyone joins together, so all the regular ships coming and hearing the voices of previous Jedis I thought was cool.

Shroob

Sup?
Rise of Skywalker is one of those rare movies where I was checked out by end of the first act. Nothing about it is engaging in any way, what a dumb ****ing film.

The scene where Rey says "I am all the Jedi" and defeats grandpa by crossing her lightsabers made me laugh out loud, what absolute dog**** writing that was. There's nothing good about that movie, it actually makes every movie that came before worse
In another time, another place, another dimension, the line instead was

"I am ALL the Joestars!"

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The part that offends me the most about The Rise Of Skywalker isn't the incredibly pointless and bad plot points

It's the fact that they had one of the rawest designs of all time for a bad guy mook

and then proceeded to barely have them in it.

At least they are in Fortnite + were great in Battlefront 2

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I will never understand why so many people call Rey a Mary Sue who never trained to become a good Jedi when both The Last Jedi and even Rise of Skywalker both show her training in both Lightsaber combat and in the Force.

A decent chunk of TLJ is even about Luke himself trying to train Rey at her request to be a Jedi and about what the Force actually is.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I will never understand why so many people call Rey a Mary Sue who never trained to become a good Jedi when both The Last Jedi and even Rise of Skywalker both show her training in both Lightsaber combat and in the Force.

A decent chunk of TLJ is even about Luke himself trying to train Rey at her request to be a Jedi and about what the Force actually is.
Misogyny

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's probably part of it but I think another part of it is just people being blinded by nostalgia.

The prequels and their characters similarly got a lot of hate by older fans for years before years passed, the backlash died down, and both younger fans and older fans with more open-minds reevaulated them. Aside from the genuinely bad character known as Jar Jar, most of the prequels' characters seem to be pretty well-liked now, and every film in the trilogy except Attack of the Clones seems to be fairly well regarded.

I think Rey's reception will warm over time, as well those of the Sequels themselves.

Got into an argument tonight with an AI bro who claimed AI was better because artists were "Too expensive"
I cannot stand that some people unironically believe this BS.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That's probably part of it but I think another part of it is just people being blinded by nostalgia.

The prequels and their characters similarly got a lot of hate by older fans for years before years passed, the backlash died down, and both younger fans and older fans with more open-minds reevaulated them. Aside from the genuinely bad character known as Jar Jar, most of the prequels' characters seem to be pretty well-liked now, and every film in the trilogy except Attack of the Clones seems to be fairly well regarded.

I think Rey's reception will warm over time, as well those of the Sequels themselves.

But Jar Jar's the best character. :nifty:

Everyone dogs on him until they realize his canon expanded lore is he basically ended up being blamed for everything bad that happened and lived ostracized from society. Dude really didn't deserve it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
FEH’s CYL8 is complete…now to hope FAlear got a top spot

Jondolio

Smash Hero

To be fair a lot of the heavy lifting for the prequels was done by The Clone Wars expanding the universe, showing the time period at its full potential and letting the characters really shine. Not saying it's the only thing, but it definitely played a part.

I don't see the same thing happening to the sequel trilogy, especially not with how Disney's currently handling the franchise.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
While I agree with this, I do think that The Last Jedi will always be controversial because it just undoes a lot of prior Star Wars lore.

As a huge Star Wars fan, its hard to see it as anything but a character assassination.

More objectively, its a really bad sequel that doesn't follow up the prior movies very well.

Shroob

Sup?
Reimagine the game for the Switch.
Honestly, I think the IP is just kinda, dead.

I think Nintendo wanted that sweet gacha moolah and when it didn't pull in the same amount as games like FGO or their own FEH does, they pretty much abandoned the project.

Someone in my Granblue guild was pretty open about how horrible working on the game was and how bad Nintendo made it for the staff, so the IP is probably just, ****ed.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I think people tend to forget the human element behind games when talking about reviving games.

Like, bringing back old games sounds cool on paper until you realize sometimes everyone who worked on it either retired, is busy with something else, or just plain doesn't have any interest in it. A lot of devs made spiritual successors to IPs they don't own but still want to work on and I think sometimes they are worth checking out more than bringing back a series with none of the old staff.

Top Bottom