• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Sequel Trilogy showed why having a consistent visionary be present is important. As overzealous as he was, at least George Lucas had a plan and a vision, and hit on like 4/6 of his movies.

It also showed why you shouldn't have the Star Wars fanbase dictate a company on how to direct a franchise. Finn being written out because fans were racist despite having a cool backstory and character, Rose doing nothing because the fans got extremely racist and sexist and fatphobic (I liked her, and she was pretty af, sue me), having Palpatine return as a last minute nostalgia appeal, appealing to unhinged Reylo fans.

Disaster.
Actually a lot has come out about the Sequel's development and a lot more was planned than what was previously thought. Palpatine was planned to come back in Episode IX during the development of The Force Awakens.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'll go soo far into crazytown territory to say that Phantom Menace isn't even that bad.

It's BORING a lot of time, and Jar Jar/Young Anakin get too much screentime, but Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are just soo good in their roles, and Maul gets an amazing glowup in Clone Wars/Rebels despite having very little characterization present.
Phantom had cool ideas and some really cool characters, but they kinda bogged it down with space politics and Jar Jar. I think it got better in hindsight with supplemental media. Execution just wasn't there imo.

In a way, it's kinda like the Last Jedi. some really cool ideas but they botched the execution. And Rose really deserved better man.

Shroob

Sup?
Phantom had cool ideas and some really cool characters, but they kinda bogged it down with space politics and Jar Jar. I think it got better in hindsight with supplemental media. Execution just wasn't there imo.

In a way, it's kinda like the Last Jedi. some really cool ideas but they botched the execution. And Rose really deserved better man.
What if you

Wanted to see how the story begins

But George Lucas said

Trade deals with vaguely racist Asian stereotypes.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say, Force Awakens is legit a good movie IMO.

It holds the classics close to its chest to the point that at times it almost feels like plagerism, but that ending scene with Rey handing Luke the Lightsaber felt very iconic.

Only to then follow it up with Crazy Steve the guy who swears he's Luke Skywalker.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If true then they really botched it bad. Like all time fumble
I'll be honest, I'm a little more forgiving having read up on it all. I use to wonder what we missed out on with Disney supposedly dropping Lucas' treatment for the sequels. Since it turned out quite a bit of the sequels actually did end up coming from Lucas, I'm convinced I wouldn't have liked it regardless.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I will say, Force Awakens is legit a good movie IMO.

It holds the classics close to its chest to the point that at times it almost feels like plagerism, but that ending scene with Rey handing Luke the Lightsaber felt very iconic.

Only to then follow it up with Crazy Steve the guy who swears he's Luke Skywalker.
Reddit, AITA for attempting to kill my nephew?

I trained my nephew to be a great swordfighter. All was going well, he was very receptive of the training. However, he was getting a little arrogant and I was feared that he may be using his power for nefarious purposes. In addition, he was slowly getting far stronger than I ever was. As his master and teacher, I did what was best regarding the situation, so I tried to kill him. He didn't like that and now he's evil for some reason. But in my defense, he was turning to an evil person, he just didn't realize it and was still figuring things out, but it was the only way. Am I the asshole?

Shroob

Sup?

I trained my nephew to be a great swordfighter. All was going well, he was very receptive of the training. However, he was getting a little arrogant and I was feared that he may be using his power for nefarious purposes. In addition, he was slowly getting far stronger than I ever was. As his master and teacher, I did what was best regarding the situation, so I tried to kill him. He didn't like that and now he's evil for some reason. But in my defense, he was turning to an evil person, he just didn't realize it and was still figuring things out, but it was the only way. Am I the asshole?
**** me, Luke really did become a Redditor.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually didn't have much issue with Luke being jaded and cynical in TLJ after everything that happened.

My only problem was that his and Ben's backstories, the last domino falling that caused the majority of the events of the sequel Trilogy to even happen in the first place, from Ben becoming Klyo, to the First Order being established, to Luke becoming a cynic who stopped believing in the Jedi way, basically just amounted to "HEY BART DO YOU WANNA SEE MY NEW CHIANSAW AND HOCKEY MASK?!".

Noipoi

Howdy!

NTA. Your training, your rules.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I hope that games that were only cloud versions on Switch become real hardware versions on the Switch successor.
Kingdom Hearts pls.

but that ending scene with Rey handing Luke the Lightsaber felt very iconic.

That was basically the scene that led to Luke having that moment of weakness because there wasn't a good explanation for why he was in exile and not out there fighting like he use to.

Shroob

Sup?
I actually didn't have much issue with Luke being jaded and cynical in TLJ after everything that happened.

My only problem was that his and Ben's backstories, the last domino falling that caused the majority of the events of the sequel Trilogy to even happen in the first place, from Ben becoming Klyo, to the First Order being established, to Luke becoming a cynic who stopped believing in the Jedi way, basically just amounted to "HEY BART DO YOU WANNA SEE MY NEW CHIANSAW AND HOCKEY MASK?!".
It's just not in character for him is the thing.

Like, ignoring the 30+ years of expanded universe stuff they threw out, Luke wouldn't do that.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Force Awakens should've benefited from the fact that it's the first movie of a guaranteed trilogy. Have Kylo win the fight and the Starkiller Base not being destroyed. It would've justified the otherwise derivative nature of the film. The only reason A New Hope ends the way it does is because there was no expectation for a follow-up; it needed some bit of closure. But a sequel trilogy was guaranteed to be made, even if it somehow flopped. :yoshi:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's just not in character for him is the thing.

Like, ignoring the 30+ years of expanded universe stuff they threw out, Luke wouldn't do that.
The whole "contemplate killing Ben out of fear that he's being swayed to the Dark Side"? Hell no.

I was gonna say I recall Lego Star Wars fixing that plot point, but since Mighty already did, I'll continue my point from there:

What's wild is that Lego Star Wars fixed the entire Luke-Ben flashback scene, they changed it so Ben Solo attacks first instead of Luke, and Luke truly came in to check in on him without attempted murder.
Not only is that FAR more in-character both for Luke and Ben/Ren, but it's also not an outright insult to Luke's character.

Furthermore, had that been the case in the film proper instead of Luke going completely out of character, his entire cynical, jaded anti-Jedi attitude would've also made total sense.

Luke's general attitude in the film was different. But he wasn't outright illogically and insultingly out of character until that scene.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ben Solo attacks first instead of Luke
Han shot first. Ben attacks first. It's like everything works better when a Solo goes first.

With regards to that moment, I do find it hard to believe. I can at least reconcile that Luke only considered it and was not going to go through with it and that there's a lot of time in universe for him to have changed. I still don't really like it though.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I was going to stay out of it because I have been arguing about The Last Jedi for almost 7 years at this point but....

Are we just forgetting that Luke's character arc in the movie was learning to get back to his more optimistic self and believing in the Jedi again? One of his last lines is literally "I will not be The Last Jedi" which is the opposite of his opinions at the beginning of the movie.

I don't remember things perfectly as it has been a bit since I've seen it, but I am pretty sure the audience is not supposed to know what really happened with the Jedi Temple flashback as both perspectives we see are biased.

Also, killing Snoke was an interesting decision.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't remember things perfectly as it has been a bit since I've scene it, but I am pretty sure the audience is not supposed to know what really happened with the Jedi Temple flashback as both perspectives we see are biased.
That is what they were going for. It was meant to be like Roshomon and only have the true story be gained by combining the different perspectives.

I was going to stay out of it because I have been arguing about The Last Jedi for almost 7 years at this point but....

Are we just forgetting that Luke's character arc in the movie was learning to get back to his more optimistic self and believing in the Jedi again? One of his last lines is literally "I will not be The Last Jedi" which is the opposite of his opinions at the beginning of the movie.
That's also a good point. I do really like how Luke ended up 'passing along the sword'. Just a shame Luke's inspiring the Galaxy at the end of the movie just got washed over in IX.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I pretty much am. I have no shame though.....at least in terms of being a 90s kid.
Just thinking through things. Did Alex Mack ever have a cartoon-esque design that they used in like... IDK the theme song or commercials or merchandise or a one off episode or something. Cause if they actually get to use her in Nick Brawl it would be nice to have an already semi-stylized design to pull from. Like how they kind of stylized Arya Stark in Multiversus. And I mean, they can always create one, but if one already exists then we can get an idea of what that potential future might look like before it ever even happens, which I think is cool.
Because that's the current topic of conversation
But why though? Who brought it up and for what reason? It's not like it's relevant or something new related to it just came out.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The thing that harms Episode 8 is that Episode 9 is the single most cowardly piece of media ever created in how it actively tries to undermine Episode 8 because JJ didn't like that his lame ass mystery boxes were answered and they also decided that one of the guys who wrote BvS should help write the script for some reason.

TLJ is still far and away the best SW movie despite JJ's best (worst?) efforts and Luke's at his best there too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just thinking through things. Did Alex Mack ever have a cartoon-esque design that they used in like... IDK the theme song or commercials or merchandise or a one off episode or something. Cause if they actually get to use her in Nick Brawl it would be nice to have an already semi-stylized design to pull from. Like how they kind of stylized Arya Stark in Multiversus. And I mean, they can always create one, but if one already exists then we can get an idea of what that potential future might look like before it ever even happens, which I think is cool.

But why though? Who brought it up and for what reason? It's not like it's relevant or something new related to it just came out.
Honestly, not to my knowledge, no.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Because when I try to do it it doesn't work so I want to know how whoever started it did it so I can take notes.
Maybe it's just the topic of conversation. Star Wars is one of the biggest IP out there.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If the character has to act out of character for the character arc to even exist, then it's not a good character arc. Luke's arc only exists because he's made to act in a way that doesn't fit how the character would act regularly, and that means that the arc itself doesn't work since it immediately doesn't sync up with how his character should've went.

The aforementioned Legos Star Wars interpretation was a better way to handle it since it still fits the character while still leading into what happens in the current events of the movie, but as far as the movie's interpretation, it instead makes it feel like a different character.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If the character has to act out of character for the character arc to even exist, then it's not a good character arc. Luke's arc only exists because he's made to act in a way that doesn't fit how the character would act regularly, and that means that the arc itself doesn't work since it immediately doesn't sync up with how his character should've went.

The aforementioned Legos Star Wars interpretation was a better way to handle it since it still fits the character while still leading into what happens in the current events of the movie, but as far as the movie's interpretation, it instead makes it feel like a different character.
Yeah, I just don't see Luke freaking Skywalker going "Oh ****, my pupil is falling to the dark side, and could be super power, and he's also my nephew.... BETTER KILL HIM!"

If Ben shot first...... ironically it fits perfectly and things are fine.

Like, Luke's not a perfect man. He's prone to fear and anger as seen in Episode 5 and 6, but he just wouldn't go to the deep end of "I NEED to kill him to keep things from getting bad."

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, and one thing about Last Jedi that I will never understand the hate for (besides Rose, again she deserved so much better than what the fanbase did to her), is Leia using the force.

Like Star Wars fans were livid when she did that. But it makes sense if you take more than two seconds to think about it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I just don't see Luke freaking Skywalker going "Oh ****, my pupil is falling to the dark side, and could be super power, and he's also my nephew.... BETTER KILL HIM!"
There was a 30 year time skip between 6 and 8, No one would act the same as they did in that time.

It was implied in at least Luke's story to be an intrusive thought that ended up being acted upon and a horrible mistake and hid away for it. It was not an active attempt on Kylo's life (again, according to Luke, going back to the whole Rashomon homage.)

I will say the scene of Luke trying to make amends as a force ghost was pretty dang cool. Like it was a raw, emotional scene.

And then he just dies.
At least Star Wars was one of the only recent Legacy Sequel franchises to actually have the guts to kill off their legacy main character instead of just having them take over the plot.

(Also it works for Rey's story with carrying on as the Last Jedi.)

-----------

Basically everything I say here can 100% be ended with "but then TROS made everything worse and it made me sad."

Top Bottom