• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I actually want to know if Nuts and Bolts was actually bad or if it was an unfortunate victim of Nintendotuber millenials and JonTron.
I heard that it is overall a solid game. I think it just came out at the wrong time. If they released another game after it then I don't think it would have been as hated. It just wasn't what fans wanted for the third main game.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I actually want to know if Nuts and Bolts was actually bad or if it was an unfortunate victim of Nintendotuber millenials and JonTron.
The game itself is actually pretty decent (I still listen to the fully orchestrated soundtrack at times).

Most people just wanted another 3D platformer.

The vehicle building aspect is also deeper than most realize, but most just see Banjo in a car and write the whole game off.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Never played it myself. But here’s what I can glean from the discourse.

-After the Microsoft buyout and an extended absence for the franchise, Rare started teasing a new Banjo game. Finally.

-Fans were excited for a new traditional entry, only for them to get a weird gimmicky kart making game that no one really asked for. The game even went out of its way to mock 3D platformers as a genre.

-The game just so happened to release when angry Youtube nerd rants were crawling out of the primordial ooze, and when they saw what their beloved childhood scrunkly had turned into, it became the perfect punching bag.

In hindsight, people admit that it was by no means a bad game. But it wasn’t the game that Banjo fans or even the franchise needed at the time.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's a mixed bag.

Gameplay-wise, it can be gimmicky, but also fun. It found a cult following for it's vehicle-building and customization mechanic. A solid game on it's own, but it's not for everyone.

That said, it's a complete departure from the earlier games in the franchise and like Noipoi said, the game also goes out of it's way to mock the entire 3D platform genre, which is not only in poor taste, but also just kinda dumb since it's insulting it's own franchise and every game that came in said franchise before it. On top of that, it also basically has the audacity to claim it "knows" what modern game audiences want from video games.

The game's in a weird place where it's actually decent as a video game, but at the same time people had good reason for criticizing and reacting negatively to it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering the lies that got spread for well over a decade about how Meaniesoft FORCED poor old Rare to make it instead of a collectathon after stealing them from Nintendo who totally didn't just let Rare get bought out, I'm willing to bet my life savings on the latter. Considering how everyone ****talks Tooie and how nobody even knows about the GBA games I think Banjo fans just pretended to like the franchise too

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Gonna be honest, of the Banjo games, Tooie is my favorite.

I enjoyed the open world aspect and while I do admit the game is much more monotonous, it still leaves me with a grin when I play it.

I never played the GBA games so I can’t rank them, closest would be playing the first 360 Sega Racing game with Banjo in it… then switching my main in that game to Zobio and Zobiko. Because Zombies driving a car made me laugh.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Considering the lies that got spread for well over a decade about how Meaniesoft FORCED poor old Rare to make it instead of a collectathon after stealing them from Nintendo who totally didn't just let Rare get bought out, I'm willing to bet my life savings on the latter.
I can tell you as someone who actually likes Nuts & Bolts that this is not a good bet lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
it’s always weird to go from Three Houses to Engage for a variety of reasons

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok so Nuts and Bolts is fine, but not the Banjo Threeie or whatever it was supposed to be. Cool, so it's not a terrible awful no good game.

Also truth be told, I actually do enjoy the game's humor. Like I know people hated that they made fun of 3D Platformers and collectathons but idk I found the meta humor and the fact that Banjo and Kazooie were washed up because they haven't gotten a game in a long time is kinda funny.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That agenda is better then the actual workers arrested last year who worked there lol

but enjoy the trip
I hate having to explain what i was satirizing but
Screenshot_20240108-142757_Chrome.jpg

7,700 is a lot. Of course there's going to be some bad eggs no matter what their screening process is. There will always be someone who slips through the cracks.

So every once in a while there is a cast member or two caught in a sting. And because of Disney's reputation as a family-friendly buisness, this tends to cause a much bigger uproar then at any other company.

This leads to conspiracy theories about large numbers of cast members using underground tunnels to abduct children straight from the park itself (note, all child abductions cast members were involved in happened outside the parks.)

And who benefits most from this type of fear mongering? And who gets to be the scapegoats? Let's see, we're talking about child predators, Florida, and Disney.
Screenshot_20240108-144208_Chrome.jpg

You tell me.

I have ties with some cast members who have been harrassed about this stuff, so sorry if I'm a bit on edge.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nuts and Bolts is one my favourite 360 games. Probably my favourite Xbox game that isn't Halo. Building vehicles for all sorts of challenges was a lot of fun. The meta and self-deprecating humour was also pretty good.

It's a bit like Super Paper Mario in that I'd love a sequel but know most people are clamouring for a return to the series roots.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The in-game ripping on the original games is pretty egregious and leaves a bad taste if you’re a fan of those games but past that I find the game kinda meh, the car building stuff is funny but I couldn’t really find myself wanting to play it that much.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
as a Banjo-Kazooie fan, I personally loved Nuts & Bolts and I still think it’s really fun. I also love the first game, Tooie, and Grunty’s Revenge on the GBA, all of which I played before Nuts & Bolts. I first played the original game when I was 4 years old, I believe, so maybe in 2004.

I don’t recall being disappointed in N&B being different, I just remember it being fun and still having the characters I like.

Today, I think my only nitpick would be Banjo’s personality seeming a bit more cynical and a bit closer to Kazooie’s in some moments? I know they gave him some cynicism in Tooie, but I recall at least a bit of dialogue in N&B making him seem out of character the last time I played through the game; he seemed ruder than usual. There’s still other moments that fit him and how he contrasts with Kazooie, though, so idk I guess it’s ok.

Also, I don’t hate their designs either. I definitely prefer their classic look, but their N&B designs aren’t bad.

I think I would prefer the next Banjo-Kazooie game to return to being a collectathon platformer, but I also wouldn’t mind another vehicle builder, it’s pretty fun. That Zelda guy did it, Banjo and Kazooie need to show him who the construction masters are!

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I now have both a hardcover copy of Marcy's Journal: A Guide to Amphibia as well as the official Domino 2 plush.

If I wasn't already one before, I'm now basically an unabashed nerd of my favorite shows.

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering the lies that got spread for well over a decade about how Meaniesoft FORCED poor old Rare to make it instead of a collectathon after stealing them from Nintendo who totally didn't just let Rare get bought out, I'm willing to bet my life savings on the latter. Considering how everyone ****talks Tooie and how nobody even knows about the GBA games I think Banjo fans just pretended to like the franchise too
Not necessarily wrong, though franchises with one crown jewel and other games with a mixed reception is nothing new

I personally like Tooie but consider it a step down from Kazooie in most regards, I also think Grunty's Revenge is a solid little handheld Banjo experience

Definitely not a bad game, but personally I found the worlds not very fun to interact with. The hub was great but the mission structure didn't gel with me. Maybe I'd like it more but I was not a fan back then to say the least

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Oh god a side-effect of Dungeon Meshi becoming more popular, The weird "waifu culture" anime fans have become 10 times more annoying

I've seen what they have done to Frerien and now they are starting to be gross about Marcille.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
By my understanding, it's kind of like Metroid Prime Federation Force (I've played Nuts & Bolts but not Federation Force), where it's an all right game that came out at the worst possible time and completely changes the genre from how the series generally works. It's a good game, but not a good Banjo-Kazooie game.

(also, the worlds are large and have basically nothing to do in them, which makes things like tracking down musical notes into a chore)

It likely didn't help that it did the same sort of thing as DmC: Devil May Cry, where it openly mocked the previous games in the series and acted like nobody would want another game like that when the fandom in question would very much want another game like that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Caught Dialga, Uxie, Azelf, got the 8th Gym Badge and cleared Victory Road. Now I just gotta level grind a good bit, to get each member at least level 50.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Imagine if you and your friends left your dogs in the park for a week and when you came back their population had quintupled, they were walking on two legs, and they’d invented both racism and capitalism.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I hate having to explain what i was satirizing but
View attachment 382709
7,700 is a lot. Of course there's going to be some bad eggs no matter what their screening process is. There will always be someone who slips through the cracks.

So every once in a while there is a cast member or two caught in a sting. And because of Disney's reputation as a family-friendly buisness, this tends to cause a much bigger uproar then at any other company.

This leads to conspiracy theories about large numbers of cast members using underground tunnels to abduct children straight from the park itself (note, all child abductions cast members were involved in happened outside the parks.)

And who benefits most from this type of fear mongering? And who gets to be the scapegoats? Let's see, we're talking about child predators, Florida, and Disney. View attachment 382711
You tell me.

I have ties with some cast members who have been harrassed about this stuff, so sorry if I'm a bit on edge.
I know it was satire, and I wasn’t being too seriously with my prior post.

Disneys bigger problem imo is their treatment of guests in general, but that’s been a whole mess since COVId and is an actual problem. But I was ultimately just joking with that post.

Top Bottom