• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, it's the definition of alright. Only notable because it's not a trainwreck like the other adaptations. Though I do think Jim Carrey is an enjoyable trainwreck.

I bring it up because you mentioned a song from the classic cartoon, and I was reminded of how the song that plays during the We Are Here segment in the 2008 movie is one of my favorite pieces of film music. Something I'm only mildly ashamed of.

You ever give it a listen? Y'know, since we're on the topic of Seuss music for some ****in reason :drshrug:
Never outside of the context of the film to the point that I couldn't tell you anything about it. I'm a real sucker for Dr. Seuss, but the 3D version just... existed for less of my life and I never went out of my way to own it on DVD or re-watch it over either the 2D Chuck Jones Cartoon or a literal semi-animated cutout puppet show of the original book narrated by Dustin Hoffmin I had on VHS as a kid. (I'm super nostalgic for those old Dr. Seuss tapes btw but I doubt anyone else remembers them unless I go deep into the right forums). I guess I could give it a listen now though.

And we're on the topic because I brought it up (I was watching the 2D Horton for nostalgic purposes).

Side topic, the film always bugged me as a kid because it gave Horton's mouse sidekick the name "Morton" but as a fan of the Jim Henson Seuss Show "The Wubbeulous World" from childhood, I knew that that was a name of Horton's Elephant Bird Child from "Horton Hatches the Egg" which this film doesn't even acknowledge so like... feh learn the lore and come up with a more original name.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Never outside of the context of the film to the point that I couldn't tell you anything about it. I'm a real sucker for Dr. Seuss, but the 3D version just... existed for less of my life and I never went out of my way to own it on DVD or re-watch it over either the 2D Chuck Jones Cartoon or a literal semi-animated cutout puppet show of the original book narrated by Dustin Hoffmin I had on VHS as a kid. (I'm super nostalgic for those old Dr. Seuss tapes btw but I doubt anyone else remembers them unless I go deep into the right forums). I guess I could give it a listen now though.

And we're on the topic because I brought it up (I was watching the 2D Horton for nostalgic purposes).

Side topic, the film always bugged me as a kid because it gave Horton's mouse sidekick the name "Morton" but as a fan of the Jim Henson Seuss Show "The Wubbeulous World" from childhood, I knew that that was a name of Horton's Elephant Bird Child from "Horton Hatches the Egg" which this film doesn't even acknowledge so like... feh learn the lore and come up with a more original name.
Well it was composed by John Powell, who’s an absolute legend and I adore anything he does. So that’s probably why it stuck out in my mind.

Your homework for the day is to check it out and report back to me :4pacman:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well it was composed by John Powell, who’s an absolute legend and I adore anything he does. So that’s probably why it stuck out in my mind.

Your homework for the day is to check it out and report back to me :4pacman:
I respect you for not following me down my tangents. That way only madness dwells. Also I think I found the song.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just need two more friends for my Sonic concept to work. I need SEGA to create two more characters.

I’m partial to a horse and an elephant myself but that’s just me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Me. Please help me, Im stuck in Jim Ryan's basement coding TLOU2 Remake and I haven't eaten in 25 days and Neil Druckmann keeps whipping me if I take 1 second off the keyboard.
Classic lazy gamedevs wanting rights smh

If you were actually passionate about game development like the fans then you wouldn't be complaining

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Just finished watching the Five Night's at Freddy's movie.

I'll say more about the film in my next post, but Chica slowly glaring while smirking at one the aunt's goons is one of the freakiest things I've seen from the FNaF franchise in a long time, which is saying something.

StormC

Smash Hero
I may or may not have taken nearly 2 hours to beat the final final level in Mario Wonder

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Me. Please help me, Im stuck in Jim Ryan's basement coding TLOU2 Remake and I haven't eaten in 25 days and Neil Druckmann keeps whipping me if I take 1 second off the keyboard.
I’d help you if it wasn’t TLOU related. I’m saving myself from getting trapped in that hellhole before they start rushing y’all into making TLOU3 through 5

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Maybe one day I will complete the Final-Final test but **** that spring feet part.

That's just not good for my health.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Okay, so huge wall of text breakdown and review of the FNaF movie:

This is the movie that got a 27% critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes? I've seen far worse films that have gotten either similar or higher receptions. This may not be a perfect adaptation, and there may be a few issues with the narrative (mainly Vanessa, who might I add I was shocked to see appear in the film at all, refusing to tell Mike anything until the very end and just frequently leaving important details out) )doesn't deserve a rating this low. I'm glad to see that at least audiences and some critics genuinely enjoyed it.

I personally didn't mind the sublot of Mike trying to take care of his sister or him trying to cope with the deaths of the rest of their family and his failure to watch or save his little brother. It was actually intriguing and at times even emotional, yet despite it's focus in the plot I still didn't think it stole the show or took focus away from the animatronics as much as the human sublots in movies like the Smurfs ever did. Plus, it ties into the storyline of te children's ghosts possessing the animatronics and William Afton being a serial killer, so it's not just entirely a subplot.

The aunt's subplot was a little less necessary and impactful to the FNaF setting and narrative, but did suit to advance Mike's narrative as a struggling older brother trying to be a good and caring guardian to his little sister as her only family left while not really knowing how and fearing that he might lose her as well, as well as Abby's as a child trying to connect with her brother and reach out to him in her own way while still making it clear that she wants nothing to do with their aunt or be separated from him. The aunt herself is such a scummy person and almost hammy whenever she's talking to anyone outside of her relatives makes her fit in perfectly in a setting with as much dark comedy as Five Night's at Freddy's, while still not standing out too much as a self-centered person and uncaring relative who just wants to manipulate things for her own gain. Her goons are portrayed as more realistic and underplayed scumbags who are out for their own gain, so they fit firmly into the more realistic parts of the adaptaiton.

The acting was surprisingly well done all around. Mike didn't get a lot of lines for every scene, but when he did, or whenever there was a truly emotional moment, man, Josh Hutcherson's acting was top notch. You can actually believe him as a grieving, traumatized man wracked with guilt who still truly cares about his sister and only reamining family left who'd do anything to protect her. Every other actor and actress did remarkably well, too, and seeing Matthew Lillard of Scream fame, AKA Stu Macher himself portray William freaking Afton was something I never would have expected from the movie until today (I tried to avoid looking at most of the casting roles until watching the film proper).

Whenever the animatronics themselves showed up, however, they stole the show. Each of them looked so advanced and lifelike that they managed to be more frightening than ever without having to heavily on the jumpscares that the franchise is known for. When they didn't just look disturbingly uncanny, they instead looked straight up menacing. Chica in particular manages to shine a cut above the rest in that regard, along with Golden Freddy. The scene of them slaughting the aunt's goons and the eventual showdown near the end in particular stands out, as does the scene of the ghosts inhabiting them attacking Mike in his dream one by one, yet just like with the hook slice earlier in the movie, his wounds and injuries carry over into the real world. That's a frightening addition. At the same time, though, it's also shown that they're still children and do have genuinely good and playful nature outside of their grief, so much like with M3GAN, the animatronics manage to both display and invooke a variety of emotions throughout the film without losing their scare factory whenever the horror starts up. Speaking of, even that very beginning scene of the high-tech, almost Tim Burton-esque animatronic Freddy mask slowly being moved towards the trapped and terrified security guard, not even showing any of hte animatronics themselves, leaves a hell of scary impression regardless of what you thought about the rest of the movie.

Finally, William Afton himself making an early appearance actually kind of makes sense. After all, he's shown to still be alive during the events of some of the games, but was cornered and indirectly killed by the ghosts of some of the very same children he murdered after being backed into a corner of the Spring Bonnie suit, eventually creating Springtrap. Seeing him take direct action here, in the first movie during the timeline of hte first game, is shocking, but makes sense for a movie adaptation, more so considering his role as the series' main villain and the sheer impact he's had on virtually every game throughout the series. The narrative of children valuing pictures and taking in so much information from them, as well Abby enjoying drawing as a favorite hobby as well as for comfort and communication, leading up to her using that talent and favorite activity of hers to explain to the ghosts of the children that the same perseon leading them is the same person who killed them and made them the way they are was actually genuinely brilliant. Probably the best written aspect of the whole film, and the scene itself was also one of the highlights of hte movie for it's buildup and the gruesome death of William Afton that it led to.

MatPat's cameo made me burst out laughing. And him getting to throw in "It's just a theory" catchphrase made it all the better. CoryxKenshin's cameo was also gold, especially his reactions to Golden Freddy (and later Balloon Boy randomly showing up) entering his cab. Finally, the LivingtTombstone's Five Nights at Freddy's Song making it into the film as a remix for the credits was a huge blast from the past and was honestly awesome to hear. With how many Youtuber creators who supported the series over the years and whose' careers were boosted because o the games, it makes me really wish that Markiplier still had the time to make a cameo appearance in the movie, but maybe he'll show up in the sequel.

Honestly...the film's not a perfect adaptation of the games. But, it is a good one. The scenes focusing on Five Nights at Freddy's themselves were amazing and genuinely scary, and the storylines about Mike and his family were fairly well written outside of Vanessa occasionally being weird and deliberately either hiding info and ignoring questions. I enjoyed seeing it adapted, my parents enjoyed it as a horror and drama film, and while not phenomenal as a video game film, it surprised me with some of it's stories, and the film as a whole exceeded my expectations and proved my concerns about the film being a shlocky disappointment dead wrong. I actually liked the film a great deal, and seeing it with my family made it all the better.

In my humble opinion, the Five Nights at Freddy's movie, is actually, surprisingly good. And after years of suspecting and worriying that it'd be terrible shlock like so many video game adaptations before it since back when it was first announced, I'm honestly really, truly glad to be proven wrong.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My dad brought me my One Piece figures from my war torn homeland, along with some new ones I got off AliExpress which were thankfully legit.

I can now continue collecting them obsessively

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe one day I will complete the Final-Final test but **** that spring feet part.

That's just not good for my health.
For me I managed the spring part with the little spin you can do in mid-air. That nanosecond of airtime is crucial to the final gauntlet of firebars. You could also bring in a spare power-up to absorb hits, if you wanted to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You'll be freed but instantly put in the Insomniac mines to make sure you can talk to every New Yorker, order pizza for yourself, pay rent and work a 9-5 in Spiderman 3 to address dumbass complaints about 2
Just need better bosses and we’re set
Tbh it's so funny that a new Mario and a new Sonic come out mere days between each other and the bosses are both considered the weakest part despite having like the opposite problems

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
For me I managed the spring part with the little spin you can do in mid-air. That nanosecond of airtime is crucial to the final gauntlet of firebars. You could also bring in a spare power-up to absorb hits, if you wanted to.
I just can't get past the last firebar, even with the air spin. Plus I'm not reliably even getting up to the last firebar in the spring section. The two sections before it are a breeze but having to go through them each time makes it all very time consuming. I guess I could look to take a power up to tank a hit there but I'd rather not have to do that.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Anyone else run into these two? They're kinda carrying Team Zombie on their backs
his kitten her alpha.png

Top Bottom