• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so I get they had to cut characters but some of these cuts are um...

Especially Sandy, that's like if Smash just cut Peach from the roster.
That’s part of my point! Why cut Sandy? Or Leo? Or Mikey? Or SHREDDER? Or Lincoln? Or Helga? Especially since they’re replacing them with characters like Gerald and Grandma friggin Gertie. Why completely nuke CatDog Aaah Real Monsters content from the game? Why cut powdered toast man? The only character I can kind of understand cutting is Hugh, but they kept their other meme character Nigel and even added a new one according to the original leak. None of it makes any sense.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, thoughts on the Teal Mask

It's aight. The story is ridiculously short, but it wasn't a bad one. Ogerpon is cute and my precious child.

But wow there's not a lot to do huh. Once you find all the evolution items and the new TMs, you have.... Ogre Bustin', and uhhhh.... well there's the Ogre Clan battles? That's really all though.

The sidequest with Perrin was, is that even a sidequest? You do one mission and it's over. With them building her up, I kinda thought that you'd go on multiple camera missions, but it was literally one and done. You catch Ursaluna, get your H.Growlithe and then.... peace out I guess.

Am I crazy in saying that Isle of Armor felt like it had more 'stuff'?
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

The Isle of Armor wasn’t the meatiest update in the world, but I remember the story lasting longer. I remember the island having more to see. And I remember there being just a bit more to do once you were done with the plot.

The Teal Mask was fine, but I feel like it was kinda underwhelming. Hope the Indigo Disk has some more meat on its bones. That was always the one I was more interested in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That’s part of my point! Why cut Sandy? Or Leo? Or Mikey? Or SHREDDER? Or Lincoln? Or Helga? Especially since they’re replacing them with characters like Gerald and Grandma friggin Gertie. Why completely nuke CatDog Aaah Real Monsters content from the game? Why cut powdered toast man? The only character I can kind of understand cutting is Hugh, but they kept their other meme character Nigel and even added a new one according to the original leak. None of it makes any sense.
Because again, they don't have the resources to bring back everyone. Everyone Is Here is a rare occurrence in games for a reason.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like if you're trying to put Smash, or other fighting game logic, to NASB, it's going to fizzle.

NASB doesn't really follow any trends set by other games when it comes to character selection. They kinda just, do whatever the hell they want.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Also, 2 Hey Arnold characters and still no Arnold is definitely a choice.

Let alone cutting Helga for Arnold's Grandma, be fr.
You could make an argument that Helga was the more interesting character and that the better episodes of the show were about her. If you only had to have 1 I’d still vote for her over Arnold. But reducing her to a stage cameo and replacing her with two characters that feel like gag characters… what is wrong with these people! Jimmy Neutron and El Tigre aren’t worth it!

Shroob

Sup?
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

The Isle of Armor wasn’t the meatiest update in the world, but I remember the story lasting longer. I remember the island having more to see. And I remember there being just a bit more to do once you were done with the plot.

The Teal Mask was fine, but I feel like it was kinda underwhelming. Hope the Indigo Disk has some more meat on its bones. That was always the one I was more interested in.
Like, even then you had the Digletts to collect to help you get Alolan forms and starters.

I get that the 2nd DLC is going to HEAVILY feature starters and seemingly make Alolan Forms easier to get, but what about Galarian and Hisuian Forms? Why are we about a year in and Stantler and H.Qwilfish's evolution method is still broken in SV? Why are the Peat Block and Black Augerite in the game's files but unobtainable? lmao

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like if you're trying to put Smash, or other fighting game logic, to NASB, it's going to fizzle.

NASB doesn't really follow any trends set by other games when it comes to character selection. They kinda just, do whatever the hell they want.
I see that as a problem. If you don’t that’s fine but I got one have cared about this concept for a long time. And I don’t think people should be allowed to just treat it li
Because again, they don't have the resources to bring back everyone. Everyone Is Here is a rare occurrence in games for a reason.
I’d have traded away some of the newcomers they’re bringing us for some of these veterans back. Not all of them, but a good chunk of them feel essential.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I see that as a problem. If you don’t that’s fine but I got one have cared about this concept for a long time. And I don’t think people should be allowed to just treat it li

I’d have traded away some of the newcomers they’re bringing us for some of these veterans back. Not all of them, a good chunk of them feel essential.
No, I do think it's a problem. I don't mind a little wacky, things like Hugh and Piranha Plant are cool in my book.

It's going balls to the wall wacky in favor of more logical choices when it becomes an issue.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
NASB2

Jenny's still in, so I don't have many complaints.

Cutting Sandy, Lincoln and two of the Ninja Turtles of all characters are an utterly bizarre decisions, though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The (sort of) Cartoon Network fighting game is a dead F2P game.

The Nick fighting game has ludicrous cuts.

Your turn, Disney Channel.
I hate that we live in this monkeys paw timeline where two projects I’ve wanted to exist almost my entire life have been completely ruined by capitalism and memes.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I see that as a problem. If you don’t that’s fine but I got one have cared about this concept for a long time
I'm afraid if Ludosity weren't weirdos, it'd be bad news not just for Hugh and Gertie, but characters like Jenny, El Tigre, and Jimmy Neutron himself. Nick's been weird about acknowledging Jimmy Neutron after Planet Sheen failed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I hate that we live in this monkeys paw timeline where two projects I’ve wanted to exist almost my entire life have been completely ruined by capitalism and memes.
I'm pretty sure if NASB was affected by capitalism in any way it'd have 100x more advertising and less controversial character choices.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No, I do think it's a problem. I don't mind a little wacky, things like Hugh and Piranha Plant are cool in my book.

It's going balls to the wall wacky in favor of more logical choices when it becomes an issue.
I mean…
I'm afraid if Ludosity weren't weirdos, it'd be bad news not just for Hugh and Gertie, but characters like Jenny, El Tigre, and Jimmy Neutron himself. Nick's been weird about acknowledging Jimmy Neutron after Planet Sheen failed.
Well can someone rein them in a smidge please! Like… idk, a middle manager? Someone who’s not as corporate as Nickelodeon but who can still tell them no to some of their stupider ideas.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really really wish I could just hit the reset button on both projects (Nick brawl and Multiversus) and significantly alter their creative trajectories. But magic isn’t real and nothing is allowed to make you happy.
I'm pretty sure if NASB was affected by capitalism in any way it'd have 100x more advertising and less controversial character choices.
if they had had a decent budget the first time and nobody had been complaining about their graphics and animations they wouldn’t have felt the need to re-do everything from scratch this time, causing the cuts to happen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
if they had had a decent budget the first time
Well they weren't gonna. GameMill is a budget publisher that thinks it can get away with limited marketing in a time when peoples' gaming tastes are dictated by MatPat and the front page of Twitch.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of, do y'all actually think Multiversus is gonna come back.

Because tbh, for me the answer is leaning torwards a big fat no.
Why wouldn't they? They said they'ed be back in a year and it hasn't been a year since it went down. Also it didn't "go away". The beta ended. You can even still play it, just not online.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Why wouldn't they? They said they'ed be back in a year and it hasn't been a year since it went down. Also it didn't "go away". The beta ended. You can even still play it, just not online.
The game died within a week because it was unfun and the monetization practices were horrible. WB killing the modding scene immediately doesn't help.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The worst thing?

Apparently EVERY character not from the original leak is cut.

That's right. ELEVEN CUTS in just the 2nd game. What the hell NASB2. Or is it 9, I dunno if all 4 Ninja Turtles are confirmed.
Apparently everyone not in the OG leak

So like, Helga, Catdog, Sandy, Lincoln Loud, Oblina, 2 of the 4 Ninja Turtles, Hugh, etc
This is crazy…

I can kinda get cutting helga, hugh, Sandy and Lincoln because they have other reps.

But at the same time what? Helga is the fighter in her show, hugh was literally fan voted into the game, Sandy is still a diverse and pretty unique rep for the franchise, and Lincoln is the main character of his show. Which with the almost creepy obsession the internet has with that show, it feels weird to platform the sisters over the main character.

Also if you’re going to bring in the other two turtles, why cut the first two? That defeats the whole point.

The biggest offense is just straight up cutting two whole franchises though. That’s a terrible idea and really sucks for fans. You could have easily cut some of the newcomers to keep some of these characters and redesign them.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Sure, but like I said when the leak first came out, that newcomer list was very controversial.

I can think of 3 characters right now off of there that I would have cut if it meant preserving a few other franchises better. Something they could have done, but chose not to.
Oh yeah, they Cut Lincoln but then kept Lucy? I want to know the logic behind that one
I fear only bad reasons are behind that one given the fanbases obsession with them.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
While my Mortal Kombat posting is over for the time being, I have more work to share, I drew up Blaze from Streets of Rage, cause her SOR4 design was one of the best in recent memory and I wanted to take a crack at it.

Is nobody excited for Tomb Raider or Contra? Weren't they classics?

I did expect the League of Legend games to not receive any votes in this poll though-
I'm happy Tomb Raider gets re-releases. Though I'm surprised Anniversary(TR1's ACTUAL Remake)wasn't mentioned by anyone. The Contra one is a remake of the OG, but it does look like a mobile game. So that knocks the wind out my sails a bit. Not just in terms of visuals but the footage has this clunky feel, so I'm a little less excited for that specifically. Tomb Raider looks like a legit port by comparison, so I'm more interested in that.

Also, 2 Hey Arnold characters and still no Arnold is definitely a choice.

Let alone cutting Helga for Arnold's Grandma, be fr.
As someone who mostly cared about TMNT, Avatar and Manny, potentially not having Leonardo and Michelangelo, my TWO Favorite Turtles feels like some sort of hate crime against Black-Puerto Ricans specifically. It has to be. They can't exactly say to keep April because of roster diversity, cause they supposedly cut a lot of female characters anyway. I'd rather wait to see if a potential 3rd game at least give us the full TMNT. Maybe its my bias, but I feel like that should have been a roster priority. And getting rid of Sandy and Helga is also kind of off.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
NASB2 looks like what happens when the person deciding the roster is a contrarian forum dweller and not someone who actually knows how to build a roster that actually has an appeal outside of that niche circle.
Heck, I'm a contrarian forum dweller and I'd design a better roster than this, even in the limitations.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On TMNT in NASB Would anyone really complain if we got all 4 Turtles, April, and Shredder? Like I get that's a lot of spots but... it's TMNT, it's a generational franchise. I think everyone would understand
NASBcord is full of April hatred so yes.

Shroob

Sup?
On TMNT in NASB Would anyone really complain if we got all 4 Turtles, April, and Shredder? Like I get that's a lot of spots but... it's TMNT, it's a generational franchise. I think everyone would understand
I just don't get the thought process of cutting 2 turtles, for 2 other turtles. Why? I don't understand.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mutliverses is in a weird case for me, cause I feel like the crossover in it is TOO broad conceptually. If it had stuck to like Cartoon Network(and by extension DC) I'd probably be more down for it. But Game of Thrones and Space Jam 2: A New Legacy 's Lebron James in a video game does not excite me like it does other people. But Batman fighting Finn and Jake or whoever? Sure that feels more right to me. But at the same time I understand that's the appeal. At least they understood that you add the DC Trinity. Something the NASB guys don't get.

Then again, I'd probably feel less like that, if Scorpion and Sub-Zero showed up. That's probably the one WB thing I give a **** about as much as DC Comics, and it'd be really cool to see them in a style a little closer to the recent animated films that I like.

Outside of those two, I mostly would want them to just do a better take on the Cartoon Network stuff. They got a good base for the modern CN work, though Mordecai and Rigby could've been a good duo character. But some old-school CN characters like the PPG or Dexter or Courage would be cool. Daffy should've been in but they got some good Looney Tunes choices.

The DC stuff added mostly makes sense, The Trinity, Harley's still mega popular. Black Adam was solely for marketing, so I would've put in like Darkseid or Joker or Bane. Raven and Static were in the datamines, both good choices. DC has SO many choices that not even the Injustice Series really put together a near perfect roster like MUA3(or even Marvel 2 and UMVC3).

Musically the game needed to move away from the "Ew Music in games is GAY" that western devs have been poisoned by. Both it and NASB should've gotten Tee Lopes.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I just don't get the thought process of cutting 2 turtles, for 2 other turtles. Why? I don't understand.
I get them not being able to have the budget for an everyone is here but c'mon, the 80s Turtles been asset flips since day one. They could make them semi-clones or just full on clones and it'll probably cost less time than a full new character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get them not being able to have the budget for an everyone is here but c'mon, the 80s Turtles been asset flips since day one. They could make them semi-clones or just full on clones and it'll probably cost less time than a full new character.
Leo and Mikey had too many moves that were made specifically for them and them alone. The amount of animations they could feasibly reuse is limited.

Top Bottom