• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It has its own levels and a unique boss with Tatsu. Story wise it is just Turtles in Time but with hyperstones, no time travel and the Statue of Liberty just phases away instead of a giant Krang bot stealing it. A remake could make it stand out more but even if it was a compilation of ports I think it has enough to stand out on its own.
You know what I would like? An unlockable mode in each title where you can play as Casey Jones.

Also, would be nice if they incorporated a Triceraton fight into The Manhattan Project as a reference to the cover of the game box.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So Tom outdid Thanos? But he's still 4 away from one-upping the Mandarin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm debating over whether or not I want to go for an exaggerated Paper Mario-esche combat system(with cards because yes) for my dream game or a more tactical strategy based one, ala Wizard101 or Mtg.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Yep, my dad’s over the moon! I feel like he’s gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight, since A: the team of his hometown won the Super Bowl, and B: he got to spend the day with his family back in his hometown. Everybody must be going nuts.

D

Deleted member

Color Splash but awesome
yeah basically. Get rid of the color aspect and other annoying things that made that system bad and replace it with tcg elements like a deck construction system

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Something I’ve recently started doing is making up scientific names for my creatures. Like how the Fox is also known as Vulpes Vulpes.

It’s harder than It looks.
Naming is the hardest part for me personally. Using scientific names generated from latin and greek (and perhaps other languages depending) seems appropriate for more Earth-based sci-fi/speculative evolution creatures. Understanding animal Taxonomy helps a lot especially if you're designing more realistically. For more fantasy based/alien planet creatures it can be a little bit tricky to come up with something clever.

I like making creatures too. Especially if I get help from someone more talented than me in drawing to give it physical form.
View attachment 302297
Still my most favorite OC, although admittedly this is outdated now.
My advice for creature design is to understand as best you can real-life animals (both extinct and extant) and understand their anatomy. Understand the most fundamental of animal anatomy, one of the most important being Tetrapods (which are four-limbed vertebrates which includes us as humans as well as mammals, reptiles, birds, and also includes fish).

Every fictional creature is an amalgamation in some form of existing creatures merged together to create something new and unique. Which comes down to two forms of hybridizations. Chimeras and Integrated hybrids. Chimeras are basically a frankensteined cut and paste of existing creatures, Griffons are a good example, as well as the famous Greek Chimera, Integrated hybrids are more of a complex merge of multiple animals that don't obviously show the original influences. The Xenomorph has several obvious and not-so obvious influences for example, making it a good example of an integrated hybrid. Dragons can be an example of either one depending on the artist's approach to the design.

In addition to anatomy it's also important to understand that form follows function, which means everything about a creature's anatomy has a purpose, a reason for being there. Or at least a remnant of a vestigial body part that is no longer being used by the creatures (ex. hind limbs of cetaceans, and unused eyes in some cave dwelling critters)

Shape Language is an overlooked idea in design. Using rounder, softer shapes can communicate a cute, friendly creature, while more pointed triangular shapes can suggest something more dangerous. Square shapes can suggest a rugged, sturdy dependability. Look at Rhinos and you see a very square looking body suggesting a very sturdy body, but the sharp horns show an extra sense of danger telling you this is something you probably don't want to mess with. Baby rhinos though have rounded forms that are less square making them look more approachable and cute (minus the parents).
Here's a couple more examples and think about how the shapes in their respective design can suggest their character.
:ultjigglypuff::ultridley:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I dunno nothin bout sports but I’m happy for y’all
View attachment 302299
Being honest the only sports I care about is the World Cup and that's it.

I'd care about the Olympics this year (Japan, geeky as hell and and us nerds in awe) but Mr. Pandemic decided to spoil the ****ing drink. Pandemic man should have waited until Paris 2024 or the next World Cup.

D

Deleted member

Naming is the hardest part for me personally. Using scientific names generated from latin and greek (and perhaps other languages depending) seems appropriate for more Earth-based sci-fi/speculative evolution creatures. Understanding animal Taxonomy helps a lot especially if you're designing more realistically. For more fantasy based/alien planet creatures it can be a little bit tricky to come up with something clever.
I generally avoid naming my oc's and **** until I've done everything else for em because I know I'm not gonna like it later down the line and will probably change it anyway, personally.

Being honest the only sports I care about is the World Cup and that's it.

I'd care about the Olympics this year (Japan, geeky as hell and and us nerds in awe) but Mr. Pandemic decided to spoil the ****ing drink. Pandemic man should have waited until Paris 2024 or the next World Cup.
if it doesn't involve cards I sleep

then again that includes things like soccer....

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I generally avoid naming my oc's and **** until I've done everything else for em because I know I'm not gonna like it later down the line and will probably change it anyway, personally.

if it doesn't involve cards I sleep

then again that includes things like soccer....
For me it depends...I have names for several characters in mind and if they aren't the best names I treat them as a placeholder, to which I can use something better down the line. But I find that they just end up sticking anyways.

Also coming up with a theme can help as well. Like for example, how in Pokemon a lot of human characters are named after plants and flowers.

Dutch Raikuna

you can't fit the world in a cup, you fools. 🐛
Who knows. As RocketMan (Disney film of course) told me you can fit the whole world in your hands. Just need to really go far, far away.

But................maybe the world does exist in a cup and we don't know it.......................or do we?

"Hey Vsauce, Michael here.

D

Deleted member

For me it depends...I have names for several characters in mind and if they aren't the best names I treat them as a placeholder, to which I can use something better down the line. But I find that they just end up sticking anyways.

Also coming up with a theme can help as well. Like for example, how in Pokemon a lot of human characters are named after plants and flowers.
yeah, I usually have a few good names in mind but I just don't really decide on one until I've done everything else cause I've compulsive. One minute I like the name, the next I hate it. It just happens sometimes for me ¯\(ツ)

D

Deleted member

One thing I probably should do is try and figure out how to get a rig to work in blender because lord knows I'll need to use that if I decide to do a 3d game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

bout to head off to bed

have a good night ya'll, I'll see you in checks computer clock 8 hours :yeahboi:

Dutch Raikuna

I should do some writing. Its 4am and I'm on caffeine. Same time I'm close to a certain point in Gravity Rush 2 that would be a nice end for the night. Also playing through it, yeah no wonder why Kat was a massive idea that led to me making one of my main characters.

-Optimistic
-Selfless
-Can fly (well yes but, more warp or use weapon as a flying hoverboard than what the Gravity Queen)
-Has the same skin tone
-Cute as hell
-Sarcastic at times

Wademan94 Wademan94 sound familiar to a certain someone's character doesn't it? I think it's a mystery.

Still looking at my writings, in particular the main story, I am going to continue the trimming the fat for the ideas.

Edit: I'll go to bed soon. Probably play Wipeout on the Vita or Smash Bros first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom