• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
To those who get the hang of Steve's recovery, tips please?

I tend to struggle on it a bit.
It seems to work like gliding in Brawl....If you're able to start from high you may get more distance as you swoop down and build momentum. Not much verticality if right below the stage it seems.

Using blocks helps too, but it seems you're unable to use them if you're too far out.

I've also been using the minecart for horizontal recovering, as you can act out of it as well. Works similarly to Bowser Jr. side B cept slightly less useful in the air.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It seems to work like gliding in Brawl....If you're able to start from high you may get more distance as you swoop down and build momentum. Not much verticality if right below the stage it seems.

Using blocks helps too, but it seems you're unable to use them if you're too far out.

I've also been using the minecart for horizontal recovering, as you can act out of it as well. Works similarly to Bowser Jr. side B cept slightly less useful in the air.
Basically the same things I mentioned :p
Well, it is how you recover with them. The glide can actually be very good once you get used to weaving well, saw some getting good with it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My thoughts on Steve from Steve thread:
Steve is fun; a bit hard to use but his attacks are very fun and cool. I just need some practice.

His F air’s spike seems a bit difficult to pull off. I love everything about him and what came with him, just a bit disappointed in no original music.

His Classic route’s name is really cool, I wasn’t expecting a reference to the long-gone Far Lands.
Also glad to know you can block the ledge >:]

And here’s this:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Like Ramen, I'll post more thoughts tomorrow. Short thoughts now, though: I love him. He's everything I hoped for back when I started supporting him in prerelease.

Inkling and Steve are definitely my favs in the game ATM. Min Min, Isabelle, Wario, and Dark Samus will always be in rotation for me, but Inkling and Steve are who I love playing the most, and are the two I feel the most motivated to try and learn how to play.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can’t main Steve for the same reasons I can’t main hero. I’m a smooth brain. I like the heavy characters with the big smash attacks where you don’t gotta do a lot of thinking. Just punching.

But good lord, is he fun.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also, apparently Steve’s codename, Pickel, is a kind of tool used for climbing or something, and its name may be interchangeable with Pickaxe/Pick Ax in Japan. At least, that’s what I got from reading replies to one of PushDustIn’s tweets.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Huh... They put Steve right in between Shulk and Dark Pit in All Star Smash, meaning they're counting Minecraft's official full realease in 2011 as his debut rather than the initial beta in 2009

Well that's another unrepped year finnaly accounted for.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Steve feels like one of those characters where he's just so weird its hard to say his tier placement right off the bat. I have a feeling speedy rushdown characters will be his achilles heel, but won't be enough to put him below mid tier.

I think that in the competitive scene, he's going to have a small yet dedicated player base known for their "3000 iq" plays, like Pacman. Those blocks leave a lot of room for creativity.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
That fishing rod keeps catching me off-guard. It's so much quicker than you'd expect it to be and I keep shielding against it because it looks like a normal attack. It'll take time for me to get used to it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
More stuff:

Steve is nearly 1:1 with his original appearance, however his skin color and his clothes’ shading was changed a bit/touched up on a bit (not 100% sure about the clothes’ shading tbh but it feels like it (around the shirt and a little bit of pixels on the pants), however I am sure a few pixels on his pants are different at least), while the bottom of his main body was changed to the same color as his pants (it was originally the same as his shirt for some reason). I’m not sure about Alex and the others. (EDIT: actually his clothing's shading seems 1:1 after another look, but there's still the other stuff. Not 100% sure about his skin tone but it does seem slightly different in his face)

His victory theme is the sound/short jingle that plays when you beat a challenge advancement in Minecraft.

The Classic route’s name, Journey to the Far Lands, could possibly also be a reference to an old fan idea that Endermen were Far Landers, coming from the Far Lands. I think people may have had this idea for them before they were confirmed to be named Endermen, not sure exactly when the idea started but it was definitely around that time frame in 2011 or so.

Sakurai made fighting without spirits in Steve’s spirit board look easy :c

I made Creeper, Pig, Creepsans (Sans with Creeper head), Bomberman, and Diamond Armor Herobrine miis (made Herobrine’s eyes by making his real eyes tiny and covering them with big white rectangle eyebrows). Steve vs. Herobrine ftw.

The stage’s texture sheet, including some unused blocks:

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I can hear Toby regretting his life choices.
Nah, he fully knew the consequence of his actions, he made a game about choices & the consequence of those choices after all.

And he embrace it, just like Flowey.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
More stuff:

Steve is nearly 1:1 with his original appearance, however his skin color and his clothes’ shading was changed a bit/touched up on a bit (not 100% sure about the clothes’ shading tbh but it feels like it (around the shirt and a little bit of pixels on the pants), however I am sure a few pixels on his pants are different at least), while the bottom of his main body was changed to the same color as his pants (it was originally the same as his shirt for some reason). I’m not sure about Alex and the others.

His victory theme is the sound/short jingle that plays when you beat a challenge advancement in Minecraft.

The Classic route’s name, Journey to the Far Lands, could possibly also be a reference to an old fan idea that Endermen were Far Landers, coming from the Far Lands.

Sakurai made fighting without spirits in Steve’s spirit board look easy :c

I made Creeper, Pig, Creepsans (Sans with Creeper head), Bomberman, and Diamond Armor Herobrine miis (made Herobrine’s eyes by making his real eyes tiny and covering them with big white rectangle eyebrows). Steve vs. Herobrine ftw.

The stage’s texture sheet, including some unused blocks:
Correction: the victory theme is from Minecraft Dungeons

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Correction: the victory theme is from Minecraft Dungeons
Oh, okay.

Isn’t it the same as the challenge advancement sound, though? Though there does seem to be a bit of a deep, windy sound added in with the jingle; I don’t remember if the challenge advancement had it, but it did have the other parts.

edit: wait yeah the “wind” noise is part of it too:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom