• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I do wonder when they started retexturing the mons. For PLA, almost all the mons in the game were remodeled or had adjustments to their previous models and adding things like more textures or modled facial features or fur and stuff.

However, mons like Lucario and Magnemite still used the old textures with not as touched up models, so were some incomplete and not done whereas others were? My only guess.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Jokes aside, here's some actual Pokemon speculation. For the last few generations, the animals the legendaries are based on had non-legendary versions the gen prior.

Sawsbuck (Deer) and Mandibuzz/Braviary (Vulture or Eagle) > Xerneas and Yveltal (I'm not quite sure what Yveltal is supposed to be, but a carrion bird is my best guess, some sort of eagle in second place. It's easily the weakest link in this theory, but Xerneas fits too well for me to ignore this gen)
Pyroar (Lion) and Noivern (Bat) > Solgaleo and Lunala
Lycanroc (Wolf with multiple forms) > Zacian/Zamazenta

If real, this means one or two Gen 8 Pokemon's animals might get a legendary.
Assuming this pattern is real, here's what I think we could get.

Scarlet: People are saying this version will be themed around the past and religion, mostly Catholicism (which is the current leading religion in the Iberian Penninsula). As someone who was raised Catholic, I know a lot about the religion, and there's really only one good option: a Sheep (coming from Dubwool). The bible frequently compares Jesus to a shepherd, and the people he preaches to as sheep. Jesus was born in a manger, and it is very likely that sheep were there. According to google, Sheep are the most referenced animal in the bible, and aside from perhaps the snake in Genesis there's no animal more important (and the snake isn't really a symbol of good). There's Spanish species of sheep, the Manchega, which is said to produce magnificent cheese. There's also the orange connection, especially the Spanish blood orange. This comes back to Catholicism, as one of the key things of the faith is the Eucharist, food that is transformed from ordinary bread and wine to the body and blood of Jesus. Type wise, I think a Fairy typing is a fairly safe bet. Psychic is a possible, if cliche, secondary type combination, as is Grass. Maybe even Ghost type, if we're taking the Eucharist more literally.

Violet: I'm far less sold on this one, but I think an Octopus (Grapploct) is fairly likely. People say this game will be more focused on the future, and cephalopods can serve this purpose due to their deeply intelligent, yet very inhuman appearance. Octopi obviously live near Spain and in the Mediterranian, and there's also Kraken myths which would make for an interesting legendary (and one I think we don't have?). There's also the grape connection, and I think a cephalopod would be the easiest way to interpret a grape into an animal, with the tentacles being akin to the branches growing grapes. Type wise, Water is an obvious one. There's also Dark if we're going more based on the Kraken, or Grass if we're going more based on the grapes. If we want synergy with the Scarlet legendary, we could also give it fairy.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's gonna be bad. Can't wait
Sonic fans be like:

Can't stand this trash.

-2 microseconds later-

"WHERE IS THE TRAILER SEGA PLEASE I AM LITERALLY BEGGING YOU I WILL DIE IF I DON'T SEE THIS GAME RIGHT NOW

I NEED IT, I NEEEEEEEEED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Do you guys have to be pessimistic about Frontiers? I know some of you are joking, but if anything, the lack of footage is not bad, and means they are taking their time with this.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys have to be pessimistic about Frontiers?
Not out fault they keep making bad Sonic games since 2014

I'm hoping it's good but SEGA burned me
I know some of you are joking, but if anything, the lack of footage is not bad, and means they are taking their time with this.
Idk, Forces did the same and that game was uh... not good.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Somebody jokingly said on this thread a while back something about a regional variant of Gardevoir that looks like a flamenco dancer and i'm thinking now:
"**** that makes sense, Kirlia is supposed to be a dancer but the theming goes away once it evolves."

Gamefreak would never do that but it works.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not out fault they keep making bad Sonic games since 2014

I'm hoping it's good but SEGA burned me

Idk, Forces did the same and that game was uh... not good.
Well, Forces was a start, and it had a lot of things going on that affect how it turned out, like the Sega restructuring and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Still, that is no reason to be pessimistic.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Do you guys have to be pessimistic about Frontiers? I know some of you are joking, but if anything, the lack of footage is not bad, and means they are taking their time with this.
It's hard not to be a bit pessimistic about it when SEGA rarely commits to a formula for 3D Sonic and even managed to completely botch the one that saw the most success with Forces.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's hard not to be a bit pessimistic about it when SEGA rarely commits to a formula for 3D Sonic and even managed to completely botch the one that saw the most success with Forces.
Everyday is a new beginning, and so is every new game. Like I said, there was a lot going on with Sonic Forces. Plus, it is not a bad game, it is just average.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, I'm probably the most optimistic and easy-going about Sonic on here, but even I'll admit I don't blame anyone for not hopping on the Frontiers hype train yet.

A lotta people got burned by Forces, myself included. Sega dangled the "Made by the Colors and Generations team!" carrot on a stick shtick and also used Mania as a buffer, only to then put out the most mid Sonic ever released.

Was Forces like, objectively really only mediocre? Yes, but the timing of the game and its marketing just made its impact much, much worse. Again, I really don't blame people for being cautious. I already know I'm gonna like it just 'cause it's a Sonic, and it takes a lot to get me to not have any enjoyment out of a Sonic game, but like, not a lotta people are gonna feel that way and I get it, lol.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, I'm probably the most optimistic and easy-going about Sonic on here, but even I'll admit I don't blame anyone for not hopping on the Frontiers hype train yet.

A lotta people got burned by Forces, myself included. Sega dangled the "Made by the Colors and Generations team!" shtick and also used Mania as a buffer, only to then put out the most mid Sonic ever released.

Was Forces like, objectively really only mediocre? Yes, but the timing of the game and its marketing just made its impact much, much worse. Again, I really don't blame people for being cautious. I already know I'm gonna like it just 'cause it's a Sonic, and it takes a lot to get me to not have any enjoyment out of a Sonic game, but like, not a lotta people are gonna feel that way and I get it, lol.
Believe me, it is better to be cautious than fully positive or negative.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All i can hope for is that Frontiers has good gameplay, i know i'm going to dislike the story, Sonic characters havent been likeable since the 2000's.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Well, Forces was a start, and it had a lot of things going on that affect how it turned out, like the Sega restructuring and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Still, that is no reason to be pessimistic.
I'm confused, what was Forces a start of? The fans were burnt because of it and SEGA just... pretends it doesn't exist.

On that note, the bigger issue here is that Gens was the last good 3D Sonic Game in over a decade. Lost World was just meh, Boom was a bottom 2 Sonic game (that is really hard to accomplish), and Forces was agressively mid. And it's not the first time where 3D Sonic had a stretch of nothing but Ls. I can't blame people for being pessimistic given the track record of the Blue Blur in the third dimension.

But again, I want this game to be good. It doesn't have to blow me away or shatter expectations, I just want it to be good. I hate seeing one of my favorite frabchises go through the trenches because of neglect and mishandling.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, I guess what I was tryin' to say was that I think it's okay to be either or? IDK, seeing as how it's just talkin' about your hype levels for a game, I don't personally think there's a right or wrong way to feel about it.
I see, and what I was saying is that it is better to be cautious all the way up to the game's release, little by little. A small build up, and small build ups are always good. People should do that for every game, and if Sega DOES their part well, maybe people will, over time, feel better about Sonic games.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm confused, what was Forces a start of? The fans were burnt because of it and SEGA just... pretends it doesn't exist.

On that note, the bigger issue here is that Gens was the last good 3D Sonic Game in over a decade. Lost World was just meh, Boom was a bottom 2 Sonic game (that is really hard to accomplish), and Forces was agressively mid. And it's not the first time where 3D Sonic had a stretch of nothing but Ls. I can't blame people for being pessimistic given the track record of the Blue Blur in the third dimension.

But again, I want this game to be good. It doesn't have to blow me away or shatter expectations, I just want it to be good. I hate seeing one of my favorite frabchises go through the trenches because of neglect and mishandling.
I see.

By start, I mean a beginning of attempts of good quality games. Note how I said attempts. Sega said they wanted to improve the quality of Sonic games and take their time on it. Sure, Forces wasn't the best "start", but the restructuring and Rise of Lyric among with other things had an impact on development. I am more faithful that Frontiers MAY, just may be rather good.

Of course, even if the gameplay is good, Sonic fans, or some of them will still find a way to complain.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, I liked Sonic Forces to an extent. Though if I were to defend anything about it, its story would not be one of them. Maybe some gameplay things, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom