• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Jokes aside, here's some actual Pokemon speculation. For the last few generations, the animals the legendaries are based on had non-legendary versions the gen prior.

Sawsbuck (Deer) and Mandibuzz/Braviary (Vulture or Eagle) > Xerneas and Yveltal (I'm not quite sure what Yveltal is supposed to be, but a carrion bird is my best guess, some sort of eagle in second place. It's easily the weakest link in this theory, but Xerneas fits too well for me to ignore this gen)
Pyroar (Lion) and Noivern (Bat) > Solgaleo and Lunala
Lycanroc (Wolf with multiple forms) > Zacian/Zamazenta

If real, this means one or two Gen 8 Pokemon's animals might get a legendary.
In norse myth, there is an eagle that sits atop of Yggdrasil, deer that live at the base, and a serpent that naws at its roots from underground. Yveltal being an eagle holds up, although I also see it as a Wyvern (or a Y-vern).

I still think this theory is just a coincidence, but they probably plan these gens in advance so who knows. Especially with Team Flare having a big sun motif.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Can anyone confirm if Gen 9 uses the New Snap models/assets? I've been seeing that claimed a lot but idk if that's true
They might have been the base, but they aren’t the same models:
C203D25C-FA09-42B1-9E69-5586907331A6.jpeg

Seviper does not seem to have any scales shown in depth for example.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Jokes aside, here's some actual Pokemon speculation. For the last few generations, the animals the legendaries are based on had non-legendary versions the gen prior.

Sawsbuck (Deer) and Mandibuzz/Braviary (Vulture or Eagle) > Xerneas and Yveltal (I'm not quite sure what Yveltal is supposed to be, but a carrion bird is my best guess, some sort of eagle in second place. It's easily the weakest link in this theory, but Xerneas fits too well for me to ignore this gen)
Pyroar (Lion) and Noivern (Bat) > Solgaleo and Lunala
Lycanroc (Wolf with multiple forms) > Zacian/Zamazenta

If real, this means one or two Gen 8 Pokemon's animals might get a legendary.
I always took Yveltal to be either a crow or vulture. The obvious reason being that it's the death bird and those two are closely linked to those themes, but also the dark colors remind me of them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm honestly quite shocked to see The Batman receiving such high praise.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.
We live in a world where Joker (2019) became the first R-rated film to hit a billion dollars. Not counting Batman vs. Superman and The Lego Batman Movie. this is the first live-action Batman film in nearly a decade since The Dark Knight Rises.

I was actually surprised people were expecting it to get bad reviews.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Stole this from Twitter and ranked my favorite Pokémon starters from 1 to 3 in each generation.

And for fun, I expanded it to include Let's Go and the 1997 Gold/Silver prototype

fav starters me.png

And here's the template
fav starters.png

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
All this DC Comics film talk reminds me…
I watched the Teen Titans Go theatrical movie the other week and found it good.
It isn’t an award winner, but it does a decent job.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Teen Titans Go boutta be ten years old.

Jesus Christ what is time?
And it’s still going…

I think it suffered from overexposure in 2018/2019 but back when it was new, it dominated the Cartoon Network, to the point where some days were nothing but TTG and Adult Swim.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What CW show is that?
CW
HBO show named Euphoria. Now I wait until 2024 for the next season, as Zendaya continues to own half of the world
0F30F239-FF64-495D-97B0-18B982FCAD4F.jpeg

Euphoria iirc.

And a lot of people like it so it can't be a CW show. HBO iirc

Speaking of shows
…is it a sin if I admit to liking 3 CW shows currently? All 3 being high budget DC shows…and not made by CW themselves

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I find in interesting that the region based on New York is all about Chinese mythology.

So... would a hypothetical Chinese region be based on American, specifically Northeast US mythology? Jersey Devil and Blue Ox legendaries?
Well Kalos is based off France, but its legends are themed after Norse mythology.

And Alola is based off Hawaii, but its legends are in part based off alchemy.

Not to mention Kyogre/Groudon having a leviathan/behemoth thing going on, and Arceus/Giratina having a god/satan one despite being from regions based off Japan.

Honestly Sword/Shield and Gold/Silver are outliers in their box legends matching the region.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Pokémon and Encanto fans when they find out Spain and Colombia are two entirely different places

View attachment 346414

Not gonna stop me from making connections where I see them. I love that movie and I love Pokémon :nifty:
My friend said the protagonist’s house reminds him of Casita

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well Kalos is based off France, but its legends are themed after Norse mythology.

And Alola is based off Hawaii, but its legends are in part based off alchemy.

Not to mention Kyogre/Groudon having a leviathan/behemoth thing going on, and Arceus/Giratina having a god/satan one despite being from regions based off Japan.

Honestly Sword/Shield and Gold/Silver are outliers in their box legends matching the region.
To be fair to Sinnoh you could make the argument they're more related to Shintoism in their origins then Abrahamic, particularly with elements like the Spear Pillar which draws immediate parallels to the creation story from that mythology.

The rest of the point still stands though, it's rare that the Box Legendaries' origins match their region's inspiration.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I got to the chapter where Voltron is introduced, as somebody who only watched the modern reinterpretation of these characters it gave me a mild tingle seeing the word "Legendary defenders" in the dialogue.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, I wonder what continents and countries GF will cover after Gen 9.

They did all of Japan, but the rest of Asia is rich with history, legends, and landscapes. An Africa based region eould be cool, they also have a very extensive history or both real world and folktales, and they have a lot of diverse geography and an amazing range of animals. Australia would be like Africa, but less lore and more Great Barrier Reef. And South/Central America got some diverse ass landscapes and a very rich culture and history.

Maybr they'll explore that after Spain.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
also why do people hate the Gen 9 protags, they look adorable
I mean considering the standard set by all the protagonists that came before them, I don’t blame them.

I think the artstyle on the faces look off, look like more of the spin-off designs like Detective Pikachu

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean considering the standard set by all the protagonists that came before them, I don’t blame them.

I think the artstyle on the faces look off, look like more of the spin-off designs like Detective Pikachu
I get that, but IDK, I think there’s something really charming about ‘em.

TBH it might just be the kinda plain looking outfits. I think people will warm up to the designs once we see all the clothes the game has to offer.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
also why do people hate the Gen 9 protags, they look adorable
Their fits are trashy trash trash. Doo doo caca poo.

Well...
20220228_172451.jpg

New Snap
20220228_172453.png

ScarVio

I think you may be right, but New Snap and not Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom