• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I saw a theory that the gimmick/theme for these starters is that they will share types. Suggesting fire/grass, grass/water, and water/fire.

which would be crazy.

imagine flaming flamingo duck, or zetta flare duck evo lol.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
On a non-starter related note

I really hope they keep using the regional evolution concept, it's really cool
To be honest, I'm torn on them. They do lead to older Pokémon getting more love. However, some of the resulting evolutions are things I would've preferred being their own Pokémon.

Like, Perrserker for example. The idea of a viking Pokémon was really cool, but evolving Meowth into one led to a design I'm not a fan of. I would've preferred they designed a two or three stage viking from scratch.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my prediction for the generational gimmick: 6 and 8 had Pokemon based gimmicks, and 7/Arceus had move based gimmicks. I think we might get an ability gimmick? You can give a crystal to a Pokemon to give it a cool op ability. Unless you're slaking or Regigigas, then you get nothing.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I remember a fake Sun/Moon leak claiming there would be a Pokémon whose typing depended on who its breeding parents are.

They should try that now.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Personally, I'd rather they just don't have a gimmick this time around, new or old. Gigantimax/Dynamax, Z-Moves, and even Mega Evolutions all suffered from similar issues and in the end, GF doesn't seem interested in keeping them around to refine them as concepts and instead treat them as something to rotate out for the next new thing. I feel for this generation I'd rather they take the time to refine the gameplay and implement new ideas that they feel comfortable moving forward with that will streamline and update the experience rather than rely on a regional hook that they dump once its time is up.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
It's too bad dynamax is so awful mechanically, 'cuz the concept of turning your pokemon into a Kaiju was super cool. Some of the gigantamax designs are amazing too.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So you can hunt the shinies of the starters in the new update in outbreaks. Makes them a little less rare but still cool.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Shroob

Sup?
IMO

In terms of brokenness via gimmicks, it goes:

Dynamax > Megas > Z moves

Dynamax was just inherently a broken mechanic. Doubling your health for 3 turns alongside of effectively 3 turns of Z-moves, all of which either buffed your own stats or caused special effects like Rain or Sand was just too much.

Megas were very cool in concept, but the issue is that Pokemon that didn't need the help got them anyway, so you have blatantly overpowered **** like Metagross or Salamence in the same sentence as Audino, Abomasnow or Absol.

And Z-Moves, while being delete buttons, are hands down the weakest of the gimmicks. Yeah, they're delete buttons, but they're one use, and you sacrifice your hold item. If you don't delete the opponent in that one hit, your Pokemon is just inherently worse off now.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ah yeah

The new crocodile looks like a pepper.

So we have leaves

A pepper

And a duck

Tacos, anyone?
I’m curious how the grapes and oranges theme comes into play. My guess is a legendary like cosmog when fed a special version of a grape or orange will awaken its power to save the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom