• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

James Gunn has a loaded schedule.

Still hoping this next Suicide Squad spin-off is a King Shark & Ratcatcher 2 series or TDK & Weasel series (Them becoming Corto Maltese's protectors notably TDK teaching Weasel about "justice" and Weasel just dragging TDK all around in the jungle).

D

Deleted member

Part of the problem with Pokemon balance being out of wack is that a lot of mons are balanced around the single player and when/how frequently they'd be encountered or the context of their encounters. Legendaries are supposed to be one of a kind and like boss battles in the SP campaign, resulting in a lot of them being broken in MP.

I used Furret as an example of a mon doomed to be terrible in MP thanks to SP since in Pokemon GS, it was supposed to be an early, early game member of your team. You stop encountering Sentret after the very first route in the game.
They aren't even balanced for single player either. There are better ways to create a boss monster than creating an 178 ATK and 148 Speed mon that get +1 ATK on entry, while also allowing said Pokemon to be used in multiplayer challenges. Hell, GF itself had the right idea with Totem Pokemon or, more recently, Alpha/Noble Pokemon, that gain buffs as enemies, while being normal when caught. Something like this can create a challenge for the SP without giving in to power creep. Or making a strictly boss only Pokemon, like Eternamax Eternatus, which had potential, but the moment was kind of ruined by getting babysat by Zacian and Zamazenta, turning what could be a memorable boss fight into something that's pretty much impossible to lose.

Even among legendaries, Zacian and Mega Rayquaza are stupidly powerful. Or remember how Drought/Drizzle got nerfed to not be endless anymore, only for Primal Groudon/Kyogre to be a thing, which have even stronger versions, by making fire or water attacks literally useless, can't be replaced by other weather (except by another Primal or Mega Ray) and is endless again? So yeah, sorry, I'm not into buying the balance aspect, with how ridiculous the power creep has gotten. Legendary or not, there are better way to create challenges.

Also not quite sure why you keep bringing up early mons, like Furret, Obviously it's not intended to be even close to a legendary, but none of this matters to what I'm saying. You said the 510 EV cap could be there to avoid making broken mons, but they've always been there. A broken mon will stay broken, either due to ridiculous high base stats or ability (or both), while a bad mon can at least get some mileage out of that change.

But most of all, such a change would make it much more user friendly, especially with forced EXP share. You don't have to worry by accidentally messing up by fighting (or even catching) a wrong Pokemon, nor do you have to keep track with pen and paper, because we still can't see the excact EV values. Reducing the EV cap to 252 instead of 255 and removing the vitamin cap was already a step in the right direction, but the system just feels archaic at this point. It's funny how the old, Gen 1 and 2 system was much more casual and user friendly than the current one, despite all the changes GF has made to breeding and EV training since Gen 3. And on a more personal note, I'm pretty curious how that would affect mixed attackers.

Tl;Dr: I don't buy into the balance aspect, broken mons will stay broken, while weaker ones could get some use of it. And such a revamped system would be much more casual and user friendly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
James Gunn getting temporarily fired from Disney may have been the best thing to happen to him in hindsight, now that he is recognized by both comic companies and even more of the public in the long run.

Ironic ain't it? If Disney never fired him, we never would have gotten the modern masterpieces that was The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone. ;D

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I have four more episodes to go until the end of Daredevil season 2, so hopefully I'll be able to finish that today. I don't know if the Netflix shows will immediately be making the transition over to Disney Plus/Star/Hulu, or if there will be a delay, or what's going to happen with them, so I figure I should at least finish the season that I'm on. (out of Marvel's Netflix shows, I've only seen season 1 of Daredevil, season 1 of Jessica Jones, and the first episodes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist - I wasn't a fan of Iron Fist)

I also found out that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is on Crave, so I might watch that today as well if I have the time - I only remember bits and pieces of it, but it was a pretty big milestone for the DCAU. (seeing as it was a theatrical film released early on in the airtime of Batman: The Animated Series)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Welp it's February 20th, so that means starting today and going into the 26th is Aromantic Spectrum Awareness week!

For those of you who aren't aware, an aromantic is someone who feels little to no romantic attraction. You can remember the flag as green is the opposite of red, the color of romance.

To be aromantic is to feel little or no romantic attraction. This is different from asexuals, who feel little to no sexual attraction. Romance and sex are so culturely intertwined that these two things can be tough to diffrentiate for most people. But to make it clear, not all aromantics are neccessarily asexual, and not all asexuals are aromantic either. Aromantic and asexual are two different things.

Unfortunely for aromantics, there's a lot of stigmatism around not being able to feel romantic attraction. We're all told that one day we'll find a special someone and fall (romantically) in love. If we don't then people think it means there's something wrong with us. We might be told that we just "haven't met the right person yet" and that there's some magical soulmate who is going to come along one day and "fix" us like in the movies. Sometimes we're told by parents pressured to seek out love regardless, who want to see us settle down with a spouse and grandkids for their sake rather then our own. Or more dangerously we're sometimes told that there's something wrong with us - that we must be mentally ill, or heartless, or in the case of allosexual aromantics (aros who experience sexual attraction) that we only see people as sex objects.

That's why Aromantic pride is important. It's about rejecting all of that. We're not broken for being aro and we don't want to be "fixed". We want to be free to live our own lives how we want to, free of prejudice. To let people know that we aren't heartless and to remind them that there's reasons to care about or sometimes even love people outside of just romance.

So now you're aware, I hope. To be honest I'm extremely nervous posting all this. But I'm a part of this community and awareness is something important to me so I'm also kind of excited. I might try to make a post abouy an aro topic every day of the awareness week. Anyway if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rewatched The Northman trailer again. What an epic viking film that's going to be especially set in ancient Iceland.

Too bad it's probably going to bomb tho...:(

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
BHM Day 20.

We were all talking about the CupHead Show and old schoom animation, so here's someone that's neat.
frankbraxton.jpg

Meet Frank Braxton (Left). He's considered ti be the first black animator by many. Disney hired him in the 1950s, but was let go for reasoms unknown. He would later come in contact with animator Ben Washan (right). Washam told Eddie Selzer, the director if Warner Bros. at the time, that he thought, “I hear Warner Bros. has a racist policy and refuses to hire Negros.” Selzer was offended, and per reccomendation, Braxton was let in to wirk for Wanrer Bros. He would work on animation such as From A to Z-Z-Z-Z, One Froggy Evening, and Broom-Stick Bunny. He would later leave Warner Bros to work for MGM, with shows such as Tom and Jerry, George of the Jungle, the Bullwinkle Show and the Alvin show. Braxton woukd then be elected president of the Screen Cartoonists Guils in 1960 becoming the first ever black man to become president in ANY Hollywood based union.

Flyod Norman had this to say about him
"Frank could be merry and fun to be around, but he was also compelled to succeed. It was inevitable in such a complicated art form, combining acting and good drawing that Frank would occasionally fall on his face. When that happened, and it wasn’t often, he would be plunged into despair. He couldn’t tolerate failure. It was then [that director Bill] Hurtz became aware of the pressures that Frank, as the first black in the animation business was under. When he told Frank that his work was good, it wasn’t enough. [Frank] wanted it to be the best. As a result, Frank would work and rework a scene of animation to achieve perfection. This drive for excellence meant he could not turn out as much work as his associates because he wouldn’t turn in a scene until it was right. He was, understandably, extremely sensitive to criticism. After all, he had a lot at stake.

He would caution us about our cheery optimism, and made us aware of the “sharks” that inhabited the “tanks” of the Hollywood studios. He was also impatient with the lack of progress besetting people of color in the business. There were no black directors, producers or department heads. Frank was not a bitter man, but it was clear he was growing impatient. I think this impatience with American animation led him to try his hand working abroad. Frank had the opportunity to animate in a cartoon studio in Spain. The company was [Estudios Moro] in Barcelona. After a year or so, Frank returned to the States. The European experience had made a difference. For the first time in his life he felt free, and enjoyed the absence of prejudice. Now Frank was energized."​

Braxton would pass away of cancer in 1969.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There's a lot going on with Pokemon this week
-Pokemon Day is on the 27th
-GO Tour Johto is on Saturday
-UNITE has a new Supporter slated for this month
-Cafe Remix has a big new update with Victini tomorrow
-Masters EX has a new datamine most likely coming soon
Not to mention that the datamine for masters is for the anniversary units.

Basically we get to see what based picks they make for units. I still want Cyrus and Darkrai though.

Also we have Pokémon presents, likely Friday. I’m hoping we see a remake of Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. I would love to replay that in a new art style.

Where's SwSh DLC Pack 3?
I can’t wait to play the Cinder Citadel.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I had hardly played Brilliant Diamond. Decided to get back to it after Legends.

Just had 4 encounters in 4 steps.
Playing X made me realize just how ****ty to me the traditional way of pokemon is. I couldnt go anywhere without a wild pokemon fight and if not that, a ****ing trainer battle

D

Deleted member

I got my shiny Charmander and luckily she has her HA as well, so no need to grind for an Ability Patch. So glad it didn't take a week. Meanwhile, shiny Rowlet still eludes me.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Remember when Lucina was Peppa Pig's mortal enemy?

I can't believe we live in a reality where that wasn't a bad fever dream.
Lucina:
  • Has been Peppa Pig's mortal enemy.
  • Thinks Meta-Knight is cute.
  • Has a notable "friendship" with the goddess Palutena.
  • Is Spiderman's girlfriend.
  • Has a job at Hooters.
  • Has said the darnest things and drinks a lot.
At this point, Lucina not having the most random memes would be the fever dream.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
With the 3DS Eshop shutdown looming, I figured I should try a Layton or Ace Attorney game.

Problem is I don’t know which is the best option for picking.

I suppose I could always pick the crossover and experience a bit of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom